PDA

View Full Version : Putting Things Off

MrJan
1st November 2008, 12:13
I've got a 2400 word assignment on the economics of the construction industry which is currently half researched and unwritten but needs to be completed by Sunday evening yet I find myself strangely distracted. For instance in the lst hour I have decide that I needed a cup of coffee, ought to watch some videos of an Exeter City game which happened 6 months ago and that I needed a shave. In the next hour I will probably need another cup of coffee, some lunch and really ought to start thinking about leaving for the football.

Does anyone else really struggle with concentrating and just doing what they need to do?

Daniel
1st November 2008, 12:18
Yup. Just do what i always did and get in early on the Monday and do it all in a couple of hours. Got some very good marks doing that :p

Brown, Jon Brow
1st November 2008, 12:32
I've got a marketing plan to do for Thursday that I've barely started, but I work best when under pressure.

Dave B
1st November 2008, 16:59
I'll reply later...

Drew
1st November 2008, 17:39
I do this all the time. I'm meant to be doing a dissertation and some paperwork, but instead I've cleaned the bathroom, done the washing up and am now making a cup of tea.

MrJan
1st November 2008, 18:29
Yup. Just do what i always did and get in early on the Monday and do it all in a couple of hours. Got some very good marks doing that :p

That would be okay if I didn't have work on Monday :p : Sadly it's a distance course so it's all in my spare time and I have to do it where I have loads of distractions. One saving grace is that it's not a 1 o'clock GP tomorrow so can work straight through, and I've already got 148 words written :uhoh:

Hazell B
1st November 2008, 19:25
I can put off some stuff for months on end.

House cleaning, car washing ...... what's the rush?

Daniel
1st November 2008, 19:43
That would be okay if I didn't have work on Monday :p : Sadly it's a distance course so it's all in my spare time and I have to do it where I have loads of distractions. One saving grace is that it's not a 1 o'clock GP tomorrow so can work straight through, and I've already got 148 words written :uhoh:

Well just remember that they never actually check how many words you've done unless you have to submit it digitally. Just write what you think needs writing and only then add little bits in here and there or cut stuff out :) If you give you lecturer a 2000 word document which does what it needs to do then I doubt you'll lose marks for it. I always tried to just do my own thing and I handed in stuff that was perhaps a bit shorter than what was asked but I generally got good marks for my stuff at least when I actually did my assignments until I just got so bored with it all that I started not doing them at all :mark:

MrJan
1st November 2008, 20:04
Thankfully making the word limit has never been a problem :) During my degree (in...*ahem*....journalism :erm: ) I was particularly proud to nearly always be within 10 words (except for my dissertation). I tend to be of the opinion that if you have written say 2000 words that you are happy with then you may as well fill the other 400 with crap and maybe score a few extra marks and often cut this about to fit the word limit. I know that no one checks it but it's a small victory in my mind :D

The annoying thing is that I have been through GCSEs, 3 A-levels and a degree as well as a year on my current course and I still leave it to the last minute. On the bright side my marks have been alright (some would call it 'just about sufficient') throughout.

edv
2nd November 2008, 14:52
Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

There's a bit of grouting in the kitchen which has been in need of attention now for over 3 years. Think I'll just have a beer....

ChrisS
3rd November 2008, 10:46
My approach to Uni assignments was: I did all the research 1-2 weeks before the due date, I would find all the info needed, write what I needed in various word documents, copy sources etc... and end up with having a lot more words than I was needed. I would then leave the putting the assignment together for the day before due date figuring I would be able to do it in a few hours.

It would then take much longer to finish and I would have to stay up until the early morning hours to finish. Every time I said I wouldn't do the same thing again and every time I did :s

BDunnell
3rd November 2008, 12:42
I find people who do everything in good time really rather disturbing.

Mark
3rd November 2008, 13:54
I put off reading this thread, then I've skipped through it without reading it properly.

gloomyDAY
3rd November 2008, 19:00
Nap time...