PDA

View Full Version : St George's Cross

Tazio
29th October 2008, 23:00
Perhaps I could get some input here. I have a disagreement with a my sister (a lawyer) :dozey: This is however the same sister that thought she was Irish :rolleyes: in spite of the fact we are predominantly Ligurian, which we all know that before the unification of Italy was a a "fief of the House of Savoy" in Kingdom of Sardinia. (which includes Genoa.) My family has traced its lineage back to the 17Th Century, to the Tabarkan Islands. No Irish ;) She has taken quite a liking to London and vacations there twice a year.

The first time I noticed it used in association with F1 was when Button broke out a Helmet emblazoned with St. George's Cross for Silverstone a few years back.
I've noticed that many forum members use this logo as opposed to the Union Jack! Although it's use dates back to the Crusades. And is relative to things Catholic and a not so gentle period of English history. In today's world what does it represent? It is my belief that it is something that English can identify with as opposed to Scots, or Ulster Irish!

Rollo
30th October 2008, 01:30
Historically I think that England and more specifically adopted it c.1190 when Richard I started paying tribute to Genoa in return for "protection". The Union Flag dates from 1606 with it's current incarnation from 1801.

This is the most estute point to be made:

In today's world what does it represent? It is my belief that it is something that English can identify with as opposed to Scots, or Ulster Irish!
I concur.

I would suggest that the current resurgance in popularity started Euro '96 when football "came home". Prior to this I always remember Union Flags being flown at England matches; with both England and Scotland in the tournament, flying Union Flags everywhere would have been... silly - especially at Scotland v England. I was at Wembley for that and I do not recall a single Union Flag at all.

Mansell won his F1 title in 1992 in front of Union Flags, as did Hill in 1996.

Certainly by France '98 use of the Cross of St George eclipsed the Union Flag.

Azumanga Davo
30th October 2008, 06:03
Who used the cross of St. George first in their flag out of Egnland and Georgia? Certainly seems to have a lot of common ground between the two.

Drew
30th October 2008, 10:46
The St George's Cross is also the flag of Milan, but I'm not sure if it's called that. You can see the flag on the Alfa Romeo badge :)

MrJan
30th October 2008, 12:11
I think that it increased with the Scots using their flag a bit more and I use the flag as an avatar more for footballing reasons because in football and rugby we are seperate nations. I used to use a variety of obscure flags but changed during the 2006 World Cup and it sort of stuck. In things like athletics though we are one nation and the Union flag is far more appropriate.

Plus I prefer the simplicity of the St George's Cross, the Union Jack is just a bit too busy for my liking :)

Hazell B
30th October 2008, 13:20
Plus I prefer the simplicity of the St George's Cross, the Union Jack is just a bit too busy for my liking :)

Me too.
Sadly the skinheads and car flag flapping folk like it best too :down:

Tazio
31st October 2008, 03:17
The St George's Cross is also the flag of Milan, but I'm not sure if it's called that. You can see the flag on the Alfa Romeo badge :) You are correct sir!
However the badge is actually the Coat of Arms of the Visconti family (adopted by the Romeos) Milan got the flag because it was the last hub on the rout of the Crusades, and were known to be a tremendous supporter of that endeavor. The other half of the Alfa Badge is a serpent devouring a Muslim :eek:
BTW I have a '84 Spider Veloce ;)

Mark
31st October 2008, 08:08
Certainly the increase in the usage of the English flag has increased considerably since Scotland gained partial indepenence within the United Kingdom. Scotland fly their flag much more, so the English do the same!

fandango
2nd November 2008, 15:11
The cross of St George is also very important here. El día de Sant Jordi (St. George's Day) is celebrated as an unofficial national day of Catalonia.

SOD
4th November 2008, 13:43
Everything associated with Englishness went global.

Tazio
4th November 2008, 21:19
Everything associated with Englishness went global.Welcome to the club!