PDA

View Full Version : Skaife retiring

Zeakiwi
29th October 2008, 03:06
Multiple Bathurst and ATCC champ Mark Skaife is 'retiring' at the end of the 2008 season.

Rollo
29th October 2008, 04:27
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24570467-23770,00.html

It seems likely that Skaife's replacement will be Will Davison and that James Courtney will replace Steven Johnson at DJR.

ShiftingGears
29th October 2008, 06:04
Good time to retire IMO. He's not being a disaster and butchering other peoples races, but at the same time he often is not in the top 10 in a championship contending car.

Ranger
29th October 2008, 06:13
Wierd... 2 touring car stalwarts announcing their retirements within 2 weeks.

It is a good time to go. Hopefully he can stay fit and be able to drive at the top level at the Enduro's for many years to come - like Jim Richards did -at age 55! :s hock:.

Fortunately he'll still be the team owner of a damn good team. :up:

I am evil Homer
29th October 2008, 09:02
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24570467-23770,00.html

It seems likely that Skaife's replacement will be Will Davison and that James Courtney will replace Steven Johnson at DJR.

Any ideas on who the second driver at DJR will be if this pans out?

Ranger
29th October 2008, 10:46

James Courtney is the most likely candidate.

Although apparently Steven Johnson has threatened to walk out of DJR if Courtney is his team-mate for next year.
I think that's an issue of jumping before he's pushed, because Dick doesn't have the final say in his drivers and Steve isn't too happy about the turnout of events.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24437162-23209,00.html

If he will be replaced I haven't got any idea as to who would replace him.

Ranger
29th October 2008, 11:31

There's not really many to chose from, IMO.

Assuming they'll want a younger driver, Coulthard and to a lesser extent Holdsworth seem to be doing a good job in the machinery they have. Same with van Gisbergen... but a straight swap is a bit boring!

If I was the guy making the call at Dick Johnson Racing, which ironically, is not Dick Johnson, I'd keep Steven.

I am evil Homer
29th October 2008, 14:14
That was my first thought...if Davison does go to Holden why not have Johnson and Courtney in the team?!? Okay he's not had a great season but the options are limited to, as you say Mallen, Coulthard or Holdsworth.

Eurotech
29th October 2008, 17:47
I would go for Coulthard - its in the name!

Rollo
29th October 2008, 21:51

At a guess it will probably be Steve Owen.
DJR's cars for 2009 will be prepped by 888, so expect Mr Gow to have some say in the matter, the way he did for Courtney.

Personally I would like to see a lineup at Bathurst of... The Stig and The Stig.

I am evil Homer
7th November 2008, 13:55
So it seems Brighty is going to SBR (with some of his crew)..Bright and Courtney would be a strong team but maybe James will go to DJR leaving an SBR seat open.

ShiftingGears
8th November 2008, 04:18
I fully agree with Perkins about the competance of the stewards. That Kelly penalty was awful!