PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Protocol

J4MIE
26th October 2008, 22:49
Been meaning to post this for a good few weeks now but never quite got around to it, which is most unlike me ;)

Anyway, apart from being dazzled on the roads at regular intervals due to badly adjusted headlights, I had a thought a couple of months ago when heading back from the Speyside Stages in Elgin. This involved rounding a bend and finding a deer (and a baby deer) standing in the middle of the road. Thankfully because of my razor sharp reactions I managed to just avoid it and continued, but the deer was still standing on the other side of the road now. Another car was coming the opposite way and, being the kind type of driver I am, I gave him a quick flash to warn him of the possible hazard. He wasn't best pleased though.

What's the best way of signalling to someone to slow down? This was on the A9 and he was not doing the speed limit......

Tomi
26th October 2008, 22:52
What's the best way of signalling to someone to slow down? This was on the A9 and he was not doing the speed limit......

The way you did is the best, I had the same situation last week and did the same, everyone just dont understand the meaning of it, but most here anyway do.

Valve Bounce
26th October 2008, 22:55
If ever I received a three flash of headlights warning from an oncoming car, I perceive it as a distinct warning.

turves
27th October 2008, 08:31
Am I correct in saying that if it's your car that kills a deer, by law you can't keep it, but if you're the car behind the one that kills it, you can. Therefore, you should've turned around and taken Bambi to the local market for a tidy profit...

Mark
27th October 2008, 08:44
I think it's the same universal sign that spectators to do rally drivers to tell them there is a hazard ahead and slow down. i.e. Arm outstretched, hand open, and make a pushing down braking motion, at the same time as giving them a flash.

No matter what you do they won't understand it mind :hmh:

Dave B
27th October 2008, 08:51
Carry a large yellow flag with you at all times, to be waved out of the window to warn other motorists of impending danger. You can also use a large blue flag on the motorway to instruct slower cars to get out of your way :p

Daniel
27th October 2008, 10:01
Or get the FIA to penalise them when they get home?

Drew
27th October 2008, 13:57
If anybody flashes me, I instantly slow down. I thought that was the same for everybody, but perhaps not :)

Hazell B
27th October 2008, 15:02
Am I correct in saying that if it's your car that kills a deer, by law you can't keep it, but if you're the car behind the one that kills it, you can. Therefore, you should've turned around and taken Bambi to the local market for a tidy profit...

Almost right. If you kill a dear, you should report it to the Crown (not the police - they'll just test your breath and check your tyres :mark: ) but if you find a dead dear causing a hazzard you can keep it so long as the Crown is told eventually. Load of rubbish of course - who cares in the Royal Family about one scabby dear (and baby).

My mate once killed one with her car and ended up in another motorist's garden chopping it up with an axe and hacksaw to share out between them. She's a central Leeds dweller who complains about rural lifestyles :p :

Anyhow, three quick flashes would have made me slow down and look ahead that extra bit.

LotusElise
27th October 2008, 21:00
Three flashes is the universal sign for "police speed trap round the corner" where my parents live. It usually works.

I wouldn't want to hit a deer. They can be heavy and can do massive damage to your car, or you if they end up through the windscreen.

J4MIE
28th October 2008, 10:40
Yeah my mum hit a deer in the Saxo, luckily it only cracked the bumper!

I was just curious cos when I flashed the guy he flashed back as if to say "I've dipped my lights you fool!" kinda thing.

PuddleJumper
28th October 2008, 14:03
Or maybe he was flashing back to say "Cheers for warning me about whatever is around that corner!"

Daniel
28th October 2008, 14:05
That's the problem with driving. It's very difficult to communicate with other drivers.

inimitablestoo
28th October 2008, 19:57
Just glad to have opened this thread and found the answer isn't something to do with wearing nothing but a long coat... :s

Allyc85
29th October 2008, 14:11
I would have flashed the hazard lights personally. Down here if someone flashes there lights at you at night it means they think you are on main beam.

Drew
29th October 2008, 14:34
I would have flashed the hazard lights personally. Down here if someone flashes there lights at you at night it means they think you are on main beam.

I would assume you were either parking illegally, breaking / broken down or there is an accident ahead ( on the motorway..). If I were coming from the other direction, I probably wouldn't think anything of it.

donKey jote
29th October 2008, 16:53

in donkey flash language a short flash or two would be a warning to slow down and is to be acknowledged with a wave, whereas a loooooooonger flash would mean "dip yer lights you donkey" and would probably be acknowledged with a finger :rolleyes: :dozey: :mark:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Allyc85
29th October 2008, 17:27
I would assume you were either parking illegally, breaking / broken down or there is an accident ahead ( on the motorway..). If I were coming from the other direction, I probably wouldn't think anything of it.

I guess people in diffferent areas do things their own way I guess. But hazrd lights being flashed momentarily would mean alot to me than the flash of head lights, thats why people flash thier hazards on the motor way when somethings happening/happened.

Drew
29th October 2008, 17:34
I guess people in diffferent areas do things their own way I guess. But hazrd lights being flashed monetarily would mean alot to me than the flash of head lights.

I hardly think it depends on the area, i'm only from the other side of the county... It's more of a personal thing I suppose.

ChrisS
29th October 2008, 18:04
flashing the headlights for me means "slow down there is a police speed trap down the road"

Mark
30th October 2008, 07:54
flashing the headlights for me means "slow down there is a police speed trap down the road"

Yes, exactly. Or more generally "watch out". So it would be appropraite for Jamies situation. There's nothing much more you can do.

janneppi
30th October 2008, 08:18
I've always thougth that if someone flashes their lights, they're reminding me I've left mine off. :D

Daniel
30th October 2008, 08:29
Well I always get people flashing me because I always have mine on. It's very green here so I need my lights on to be seen by some of the less attentive drivers around. Flashing can mean so many things! I wish people wouldn't put their fog lights on when there's no bloody fog. No one seems to get the idea when I flash them for that either. I ordered some new bulbs for my car today so I can blind stupid people with fog lights on. Apparently normal bulbs don't speak loudly enough.

turves
30th October 2008, 12:36
Well I always get people flashing me because I always have mine on.

I thought you were going to go on and say you had a Volvo...

Bright lights are great, I used to have some Hella Rallye 1000's on an old Astra of mine, one of the lenses was a pencil beam with upgraded bulbs, they were VERY bright, and great when drivers didn't dip their lights... (they soon did after a quick flash!)

As a nipper I used to go on events with my old man, he used to 'manage' a group of Radio Cars. A load of us used to be in convoy and if someone didn;t dip we'd be on the radio and everyone would go on main beam. Dangerous to a degree, but amusing when your 7 years old...!

Daniel
30th October 2008, 12:41
I thought you were going to go on and say you had a Volvo...

Bright lights are great, I used to have some Hella Rallye 1000's on an old Astra of mine, one of the lenses was a pencil beam with upgraded bulbs, they were VERY bright, and great when drivers didn't dip their lights... (they soon did after a quick flash!)

As a nipper I used to go on events with my old man, he used to 'manage' a group of Radio Cars. A load of us used to be in convoy and if someone didn;t dip we'd be on the radio and everyone would go on main beam. Dangerous to a degree, but amusing when your 7 years old...!

Nice :D

I've ordered some Osram nightbreakers or whatever they're called. Supposed to be very good.