PDA

View Full Version : So, end of season, and .........

The Pits!
26th October 2008, 21:01
............it all goes quiet,

where's all the rumours for 2009??

Gasman#99
26th October 2008, 22:31

No rumers this year just the truth-2009 WILL happen after 31st december!! :D

briggs'mechanic
27th October 2008, 00:13
I heard that there is going to be some racing at some tracks and there will be drivers and fans at them and people will have good times and bad times.. Anyone else heard this????

The Pits!
27th October 2008, 19:50
I heard that there is going to be some racing at some tracks there's going to be lots of racing at lots of tracks - is some of it going to include SCSA??

and there will be drivers and fans at them Drivers yes - fans possibly

and people will have good times and bad times.. so just the same as last year then? :(

wends
27th October 2008, 23:01
I,ve heard that SCSA are re-merging with pickups and legends, for 6 rounds at the rock.
And at each event there will be a concert and a fun fair for all round family entertainment......possible bookings for centre stage are keiser cheifs, Amy winehouse, and maybe oasis.

Advertising will be via local radio and major broadsheets/daily papers....tickets starting at £10 each....and expecting to fill 40K seats at least......with guest drivers...popping in... to have a go.

Ok....i,m dreaming.......

The Pits!
28th October 2008, 08:58
I,ve heard that SCSA are re-merging with pickups and legends, for 6 rounds at the rock. And at each event there will be a concert and a fun fair for all round family entertainment......possible bookings for centre stage are keiser cheifs, Amy winehouse, and maybe oasis. Advertising will be via local radio and major broadsheets/daily papers .... tickets starting at £10 each....and expecting to fill 40K seats at least ...... with guest drivers...popping in... to have a go. Ok....i,m dreaming.......
'Ere! that's my dream - get your own :)

fastbob
28th October 2008, 18:25
I,ve heard that SCSA are re-merging with pickups and legends, for 6 rounds at the rock.

Ok....i,m dreaming.......

Sadly it seems you are dreaming.... you will probably get the Pick Ups... you may get the ASCAR's..... but it's very very unlikely the Legends will be at Rockingham next year.

acorn
29th October 2008, 12:25

how about ascars on the short ovals of ipswich on aug 15th and hednesford on aug 31? deane wood of spedeworth wants to help the struggling championship so will bill them as american stockcars. he hopes to get 12 cars. driver and fan reaction will determine whether further outings and a permanent place will be forthcoming.

i thought most people felt that most uk short ovals were too narrow for this type of non contact car(warneton is wider and designed for camso v8s). entry and running costs will (probably) be less but will the lower speeds appeal to those (drivers)who yearn for the 170+ speeds of rockingham?

The Pits!
29th October 2008, 17:41
how about ascars on the short ovals of ipswich on aug 15th and hednesford on aug 31? EEK!

non contact car hahahaha :)

Tractorboy.
29th October 2008, 18:33
Would be a laugh and at least you wouldn't have to have a damn national A to race them!! Warneton would be good to we went there this year when Jean Vasseur gave us a tour.

Duane
30th October 2008, 21:49
We will also be going to Warneton for two race weekends, dates TBC but together we have agreed in principle to race in Belgium.
I have spoken to car owners and drivers of the past couple of season,s and along with new guy's that have been in contact we have in principle 17 cars agreed to race, i am also seeking another 2- 4 dates at another venue.

Although the series has shown we can run on road courses this year we have decided that the way British motor sport is run any series is going to find it hard enough to survive in the current climate let alone us trying to build within it so as most of the ASCAR owners want to do OVAL, no matter what, then all avenues are being looked at and taken up in an OVAL direction.

Lastly for now Dean Wood made the offer to run on the short ovals this year but as i had agreed by then to run with the VSR's we had to turn Dean down, im very glad to say he was still open to us now thanks to Colin having a chat with Dean !!!!

Duane

darknessrock
30th October 2008, 21:57
i am also seeking another 2- 4 dates at another venue.

Although the series has shown we can run on road courses this year we have decided that ...... most of the ASCAR owners want to do OVAL,

Duane

2-4 dates at the large oval in the midlands??? PLEASE!

Duane
30th October 2008, 22:27
Darknessrock, thats selective reading.........are you a journalist ??? :)

ASCAR24/7/365.5
31st October 2008, 16:45
We will also be going to Warneton for two race weekends, dates TBC but together we have agreed in principle to race in Belgium.
I have spoken to car owners and drivers of the past couple of season,s and along with new guy's that have been in contact we have in principle 17 cars agreed to race, i am also seeking another 2- 4 dates at another venue.

Although the series has shown we can run on road courses this year we have decided that the way British motor sport is run any series is going to find it hard enough to survive in the current climate let alone us trying to build within it so as most of the ASCAR owners want to do OVAL, no matter what, then all avenues are being looked at and taken up in an OVAL direction.

Lastly for now Dean Wood made the offer to run on the short ovals this year but as i had agreed by then to run with the VSR's we had to turn Dean down, im very glad to say he was still open to us now thanks to Colin having a chat with Dean !!!!

Duane

now thats very interesting!

ive been racing a legend for the past few years and im oval racing it next year, the prospect of ascars on the short oval is very interesting indeed...hmm watching 20 go round birmingham could be very interestng indeed!

car20
11th November 2008, 16:47
Any idea of time frame for any announcements ????

can 2009 become a true reflection of the ascars potential?? Oval, Oval

Anyone know if the Baby grands still run ????

ASCAR24/7/365.5
13th November 2008, 21:01
hey car 20

yes the baby grands run, but with limited sucess, i think theres only about 8 cars racing at the moment and theyre mainly on southern tracks. i think the problem is with the popularity of legends cars, and the fact theyre faster baby grands havent really grown that well. i think once someone gets a baby grand hooked up properly they will be quicker than a legend but they need a setup guru like they have in the legends to help out a bit! also the cars are a little more expensive than the legend last time i checked. but hey id buy one if i had the chance!..

hopefully ascar will get a good support package although oval racing runs differently to main stream motorsport. for instance race entry is FREE to all classes, the organisers make money off gate prices ( which are only 12 quid!) and there isnt usually one particularly promoted series, having said that national hot rods and f1 stock cars are promoted more than the rest. i hope ascar finds a good home on the short ovals, ipswich and hednesford would be great tracks for them, and possibly birmingham, and a few other shorter tracks too. id love to see 18 plus cars going around hednesford, i think they could well become one of the fastest if not THE fastest formula on the short ovals.

fastbob
15th November 2008, 10:07
yes the baby grands run,

I was talking to a guy at Brands and indeed they do still run, although everything else has changed, Allan no longer owns/runs the series, all the owner drivers have clubbed together bought him out and now run the series themselves, they have changed name to MASCAR i think he said ( Mini etc etc)

He was also telling us they have done a deal to run with INCARACE, so will be on some better race meetings!

car20
15th November 2008, 12:09
thanks found it .....interesting news about 2009 , it seems to tie into what duane posted about 2009 ....Can i really looking forward to next year???

http://www.mascar.co.uk/site/home.html

ASCAR24/7/365.5
16th November 2008, 13:06
yeh i like the baby grands, theyre cool little cars, my only problem is that they only tend to race down south, plus the legend that ive got at the moment tends to turn more heads, and is a little quicker!..something to mull over though its definately a series im interested in if they head further north.

cjhill2002
17th November 2008, 18:35
18 ASCARs going round Arlington under the lights on a Wednesday night......

Now THAT would be interesting!!!

racing59
17th November 2008, 21:54
I know one that won't be there.

Tony Hurdle
18th November 2008, 12:23
http://www.mascar.co.uk/site/home.html

MASCAR???? Sounds very similar to a well known US racing series and the former name of the series here in the UK. Didn't the Americans get all bent out of shape and threaten legal action because of the resemblance? Will there be a "cease and desist" letter winging it's way?

18th November 2008, 19:32
hey car 20

yes the baby grands run, but with limited sucess, i think theres only about 8 cars racing at the moment and theyre mainly on southern tracks. i think the problem is with the popularity of legends cars, and the fact theyre faster baby grands havent really grown that well. i think once someone gets a baby grand hooked up properly they will be quicker than a legend but they need a setup guru like they have in the legends to help out a bit! also the cars are a little more expensive than the legend last time i checked. but hey id buy one if i had the chance!..

hopefully ascar will get a good support package although oval racing runs differently to main stream motorsport. for instance race entry is FREE to all classes, the organisers make money off gate prices ( which are only 12 quid!) and there isnt usually one particularly promoted series, having said that national hot rods and f1 stock cars are promoted more than the rest. i hope ascar finds a good home on the short ovals, ipswich and hednesford would be great tracks for them, and possibly birmingham, and a few other shorter tracks too. id love to see 18 plus cars going around hednesford, i think they could well become one of the fastest if not THE fastest formula on the short ovals.

Hi all
Iam Not really one for posting on these forums But I thought i just better put you all straight and this is straight from the horses mouth as they say with The refrences to the Miniature American Stock Car Series Mascars formally the Babygrands firstly I took the series over at the begining of 2008 as the sole importer and promoter for Babygrands US where yes there were only 5 cars running including myself and in total aggrement it was'nt going any where thats one of reasons why i did it, By March 2008 we had 10 cars and full time drivers racing with all 10 turning up for 90% of the meetings allthough you are correct in pointing out that we only raced at southern tracks this was mainly down to the old promoter Alan and his lack of! well i leave that to your imagination and unfortunatly due to the lateness of the buy out by myself it did not give me any time to negotiate for new venues so we had to stick with what we allready had thats why the same old venues but at least we had some where to race with a 17 round championship,
Anyway that's the past the future is i have brought in another 6 cars recently with 2 of them sold and expanding the series even more with loads of intrest in the other 4 remaining giving the series 16 cars at the start of 2009,
And yes you are correct we are in 2009 moving north with race fixtures confirmed for Hednesford B'ham Northampton Aldershot with us visiting Buxton this weekend and hopeful securing this venue as a permanant fixture also for 2009, How much more north do you want us to go?

as for the Ledgend being more of an head turner than a mascar the only reason i can put to this is they need to put screens in the cars or take off the peaks from there helmits this might cure it!

I don't think i really need to go down the route of the Ledgend being quicker all i will say is a very well known Ledgend driver recently had a run in my car around Birmingham and beat his lap record that he had set in his ledgend easily by nearly 1/2 second i'll say no more! They may look quicker due to the fact there are more of them and they are smaller, But the big advange we have is the winters quick change axle for your gearing and the fact we run slicks.

Well i will get of my soap box and i hope this answeres any queries you have and sets the story straight!

car20
3rd December 2008, 14:28
ANY NEWS on 2009 season?

What's the chances of the V8's on the same dates at rockingham as the pick ups have???? you know it makes sense lol

Tractorboy.
3rd December 2008, 17:29
ANY NEWS on 2009 season?

What's the chances of the V8's on the same dates at rockingham as the pick ups have???? you know it makes sense lol

NIL.

The Pits!
7th December 2008, 21:22
2-4 dates at the large oval in the midlands??? PLEASE!

See this?

"LARGE oval" ?

"Midlands"???

Not in god-for-saken Norfolk/Suffock (wetf that is) !!!!!!!!!!!!

Dalehardt88
17th December 2008, 17:15
Guys

Interesting comments about the Mascar's, most of it wrong or out of date.

As mentioned by a previous poster the series has been taken over this year and renamed as "Mascar".

There are now 16 cars on the grid with more planned and the closeness of the racing over the year has led to promotors all over the country and across europe looking to secure the cars at there venues next year.

With new drivers, new tracks and an ever expanding grid the series seems to going from strength to strength.

Some of the key reasons for this are:

Quick racing - (definately quicker than a legend, the two types of car have gone up against each other and the mascars have been tested by several prominent Legend drivers this year, both confirm that the Mascars are both noticably quicker and quicker in terms of timed laps)

Cost- (Mascar's are not only cheaper to buy, but are definately cheaper to run over the course of a season by a significant margin)

Bullet Proof - They don't get much damage, occasional bit of fibreglassing and some paint, which you can easily do yourself.

The crowds love them - They are 2/3rd scale Nascar's and really look the part.

I personally prefer the Nascar look instead of the Penelope Pitstop thing.

Anyway the series really seems to be chrging ahead full steam, I think it just needed someone to pick it up and drive it forward.

fastbob
17th December 2008, 18:34
Guys

(definately quicker than a legend, the two types of car have gone up against each other and the mascars have been tested by several prominent Legend drivers this year, both confirm that the Mascars are both noticably quicker and quicker in terms of timed laps)

?? Are un-named Legend drivers still driving legends or was they impressed enough to race MASCAR's????

Was they Oval or Circuit Legend racers..... ?? Was the speed simply down to the gearing in the diff!!?

Penelope pitstop!!! What did a 1930/40's NASCAR look like?

Wish the series all the best..... why does one have to be judged to be better or not than any other? Is it a competition??

Dalehardt88
18th December 2008, 11:06
Hi Fastbob

I don't want to get into a which is best either, I did however which to respond to a couple of comments in previous threads that were inaccurate.

One of the key reasons the Mascar's are quicker is down to the tyres being used.

The two series have cars that weigh similar amounts and use the same engines, the Mascar's however run on slick tyres which used to be an Avon but after some recent testing the decision has been taken to base the series on Hoosier slick tyres.

In terms of comparisons, yes they were oval cars and drivers with the cars set up for that circuit including gearing, but obviously on different control tyres which will make a big difference.

fastbob
18th December 2008, 17:00
Hi dude, each is different, I have been fortunate enough to drive a MASCAR ( was a BG at the time ) round Rockingham, an Oval Legend round Birmingham Wheels and a circuit Legend round a few circuits..... guess the bottom line is they are all different!!

Slicks will make a big difference, though i gotta say, half the fun of the circuit championship is a locked diff and rock hard tyres!!!

Good luck with MASCAR if your driving one,

ASCAR24/7/365.5
18th December 2008, 18:56
i like the mascars, but i have to say i wouldnt trade in the legend for anything..theyre just so much fun to drive. its hard to find lap times for the mascars, i tried lookin on mylaps but it didnt come up with anything. i know legends are bloody quick from experience! essentially theyre the same car underneath, same engines, roughly the same dimensions, the legend is about 200kg lighter than the mascar. yes mascars may be cheeper second hand, i think the prices of new mascars and legends are pretty comparible, however legends hold theyre value extremely well because you cant import them from the states, i know several racers who have bought and sold theyre cars for the same price, effectively getting free racing, apart from repairs etc. on the other hand you will do less damage ina mascar because of the slosed wheels. its a shame they dont race more in the midlands like birmingham or hednesford cos it would be interesting to see the comparison, and maybe i would look at getting one as im from staffordshire but it would be fun to get the best from legends and the best from mascar and have a match race. one thing i agree with though is the tyres in legends are aweful!....dont offer a lot of grip however that adds more fun and skill to the driving, being able to balance the car on the throttle takes real skill and is great when you get it right! ive heard loads of people on the ovals saying if you do well ina legend then you can drive anything well, thats not just from legends drivers but also from f1 and national hot rod guys. i hope the mascars do well but they have a long way to go if they do as well as the legends in terms of racing/ entertainment and grid numbers.

jeffmr2
19th December 2008, 22:08
OK its probably a stupid simple question thats been discussed before at length but why arent the ascars wanted back at the rock? I thought the attendances for the pick ups there this year were an all time low so wouldnt th,the fans rock and both series benefit by running there together again (i'm probably being a bit stupid and naive here it sounds to easy and obvious)
Be great to see the ascars running on any oval again though next year.

jeffmr2
19th December 2008, 22:09
Oh also have a nice christmas everyone :)

fastbob
20th December 2008, 14:14
I'm no longer in the loop of confirmed information, but most of the time it has all been about money..... track time needs to be paid for and that means you need good numbers of entries.

The last couple of years of the series at The Rock drivers promised to enter and never turned up for one reason or another..... this led to either a short fall in money or more cost for those that did turn up!!!

Guess one way or another that damaged the relationship between the Rock and ASCAR!!

Tony Hurdle
20th December 2008, 16:43
OK its probably a stupid simple question thats been discussed before at length but why arent the ascars wanted back at the rock? I thought the attendances for the pick ups there this year were an all time low so wouldnt th,the fans rock and both series benefit by running there together again (i'm probably being a bit stupid and naive here it sounds to easy and obvious)
Be great to see the ascars running on any oval again though next year.

Ask Duane to post his thoughts on this very subject. Suffice to say there was an agreement (albeit verbal) for the V8's to return next year with costs covered for all the V8's that wanted to run. Then politics, excuses and vested interests intervened!!!!!!!!!

ASCAR24/7/365.5
20th December 2008, 18:07
well i hope that for ascars sake all the BS and politics from the past couple of years stops now, cos i love the cars and i know they can do wel on the short ovals...personally i cant wait to see them myself and lets get back to some proper racing!..i just hope that everyone who owns an ascar gives it a shot rather than just thinking sod it..dont like short ovals, im not racing...ive been driving on them myself this year and its aunbelievable, and best still THERE IS NO ENTRY FEE...yup free racing....compare that to about 350 quid a pop on the circuits and the economics speek for themselves...

Dalehardt88
20th December 2008, 21:15
Hi

Just a quick update, the Mascar's are confirmed 2009 at Hednesford, Birmingham, Northampton, Aldershot, Yarmouth, Essex Arena, Warneton (Belgium), Angmering with other venues currently under negotiation.

The reason for lack of lap times as up till now we have not been running at tracks that have timing facilities. This is now about to change with the inclusion of the above venues.

We also run locked diffs but have the advantage of running the winters quick change rear axle that allows us to quickly and easily alter our gearing for any venue. The nice advantage of this is that we race at both ovals and circuits with the same car, same series with minimal changes required, just makes for a flexble approach to racing.

On another note It would be fantastic to see the Ascars back out racing maybe even alongside there miniature counter parts one day.

Have a good xmas all and all the best for the New Year.

i like the mascars, but i have to say i wouldnt trade in the legend for anything..theyre just so much fun to drive. its hard to find lap times for the mascars, i tried lookin on mylaps but it didnt come up with anything. i know legends are bloody quick from experience! essentially theyre the same car underneath, same engines, roughly the same dimensions, the legend is about 200kg lighter than the mascar. yes mascars may be cheeper second hand, i think the prices of new mascars and legends are pretty comparible, however legends hold theyre value extremely well because you cant import them from the states, i know several racers who have bought and sold theyre cars for the same price, effectively getting free racing, apart from repairs etc. on the other hand you will do less damage ina mascar because of the slosed wheels. its a shame they dont race more in the midlands like birmingham or hednesford cos it would be interesting to see the comparison, and maybe i would look at getting one as im from staffordshire but it would be fun to get the best from legends and the best from mascar and have a match race. one thing i agree with though is the tyres in legends are aweful!....dont offer a lot of grip however that adds more fun and skill to the driving, being able to balance the car on the throttle takes real skill and is great when you get it right! ive heard loads of people on the ovals saying if you do well ina legend then you can drive anything well, thats not just from legends drivers but also from f1 and national hot rod guys. i hope the mascars do well but they have a long way to go if they do as well as the legends in terms of racing/ entertainment and grid numbers.

car20
22nd December 2008, 13:16
is there only ONE date for ascars at ipswich ??? or is there going to be more ????

Cant find any other info and my crystal ball aint working ANY THING TO LOOK FORWARD TO FOR ASCARS IN 2009 ???

ASCAR24/7/365.5
22nd December 2008, 13:48
all dates should be announced at the autosport show, well the dates for our legends races are being finalised at the moment...i would think ascars dates are being sorted too....sit tight, shouldnt be too long till dates are released now