PDA

View Full Version : Try this on for size

call_me_andrew
18th October 2008, 08:11
What if NASCAR stopped using competition cautions every time a practice was rained out and instead used a mandatory 4-tire pit stop between laps X and Y?

It's safer because you're less likely to see everyone pit at once. It keeps the field spread out.

Sure, Indy still would have been a pit crew competition, but it would have been an interesting pit crew competition.

RaceFanStan
18th October 2008, 18:02
I suppose a mandatory 4-tire pit stop between laps X and Y could work ...
the problem would arise if a caution came out before all of the green flag pitstops had occured ...
any drivers pitting under yellow could gain an advantage by trapping some drivers a lap down ...
IMO competition cautions are the fairest way to allow the teams evaluate their tire wear, etc.

harvick#1
18th October 2008, 18:34
What if NASCAR stopped using competition cautions every time a practice was rained out and instead used a mandatory 4-tire pit stop between laps X and Y?

It's safer because you're less likely to see everyone pit at once. It keeps the field spread out.

Sure, Indy still would have been a pit crew competition, but it would have been an interesting pit crew competition.

teams were doing that at Indy before Nascar did there BS closing pitlane while under green

colinspooky
19th October 2008, 23:57
It keeps the field spread out.

I suddenly got really confused about here............. :eek:

Rollo
20th October 2008, 00:37
Mandatory tyre stops and/or brake pads stops between laps X and Y already exist in V8 Supercars in Australia.
In those races, the cars carry a small light facing outwards out of the windscreen so that the viewers can actually tell who has and hasn't made their stops.

Tactically it presents an interesting battle with some drivers staying out longer while people pull into the pits ahead of them and thus effectively getting a free run through the field.

The system works quite well it must be said.

slorydn1
21st October 2008, 01:00
I suppose a mandatory 4-tire pit stop between laps X and Y could work ...
the problem would arise if a caution came out before all of the green flag pitstops had occured ...
any drivers pitting under yellow could gain an advantage by trapping some drivers a lap down ...
IMO competition cautions are the fairest way to allow the teams evaluate their tire wear, etc.

I agree. Although I do think the green flag format would make it more "interesting", what would NASCAR have to do to make it more "fair" if the caution came out in the middle of it. Would they keep the pits closed during the caution forcing the cars that didn't pit yet to pit after the green came out in order to comply with the rule? Or would they give everyone trapped a lap down because of compliance the lucky dog? And once that pandora's box is opened, do they do either/or on all cautions during green flag stops? Who's a lap down because of compliance, and who's a lap down because their car sux (etc.). I think they just need to keep it the way it is, though it is an interesting idea.