PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Audi Quattro infos

Olczyk
17th October 2008, 07:11
We are working on a new official book "Audi Quattro Rally Cars"

Please send all infos, owners, photos, chassis numbers etc.. to be included.

Reward for good help
[email:24midpw5]olczyk@yahoo.com[/email:24midpw5]

Thank You

Daniel
17th October 2008, 08:41
Do you want us to write the book too?

rx-guru
17th October 2008, 11:30
Without Audi’s blessings I would not accept the book as "The Official History"…
BTW, it’s Audi quattro, not Audi Quattro. See eg. http://www.audi.de/audi/de/de2/unternehmen/historie/motorsport_highlights/audi_quattro_rallye.html

Daniel
17th October 2008, 11:45
I also would not accept a book that someone did research for on an internet forum. There is no guarantee that the information provided here or on another site will be accurate. Then there's the fact that the photo's we would supply will be copyrighted.

If I were writing a book i'd contact Mr Holmes or Audi and do it properly.

This is a pet hate of mine on this forum. People who come and ask questions then have books or websites which are done with other people's work. To add to this there people usually don't add anything to the forum, they just take.........

Audimadgeoff
17th October 2008, 12:08
I also would not accept a book that someone did research for on an internet forum. There is no guarantee that the information provided here or on another site will be accurate. Then there's the fact that the photo's we would supply will be copyrighted.

This is a pet hate of mine on this forum. People who come and ask questions then have books or websites which are done with other people's work. To add to this there people usually don't add anything to the forum, they just take.........

He's been on a number of forums asking for info... I appreciate you can often get snippets of info from forums, but the first place to start is normally with the press office or Martin... neither avenue this guy has bothered exploring!

jonkka
17th October 2008, 17:15

For some reason official Audi media department isn't very keen on quattro rallying heritage but if Walter Treser or better yet, Roland Gumpert would agree help I cannot imagine better source.

For personal reasons, I do hope not to be one of them... For the help given, I give credit, as well...

Daniel
17th October 2008, 17:18
For some reason official Audi media department isn't very keen on quattro rallying heritage but if Walter Treser or better yet, Roland Gumpert would agree help I cannot imagine better source.

For personal reasons, I do hope not to be one of them... For the help given, I give credit, as well...

I would never dream of accusing you of this either. You're a long time valued member of this forum who gives back a lot more than the forum probably gives you :)

Audi's identity is diesel now. They don't want to talk about their cars getting dirty in forests and in places like Kenya.....

They still mention quattro but it's not the basis of their advertising as it used to be.

I loved this ad back when it was on TV :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qI6mFk_6OA

rx-guru
17th October 2008, 18:23

And what about ex-rallying journalist and ex-Audi Sport press spokesman Dieter L. (L for Lutz) Scharnagl…?

BDunnell
17th October 2008, 18:52

I agree. I wouldn't ever do so, unless as a means of making contact with someone — using a forum as a conduit, if you like. Mind you, different people have different standards when it comes to 'research'...

jonkka
17th October 2008, 21:03
And what about ex-rallying journalist and ex-Audi Sport press spokesman Dieter L. (L for Lutz) Scharnagl…?

Can you put me into touch with him?

sal
17th October 2008, 23:05
Why are you quoting Martin Holmes as the oracle Geoff and Daniel? Other journalists are available! However as you rightly point out Daniel, if this book claims to be the "Official book" then it must be factory sanctioned or licensed so would guess Audi themselves still have a reasonable archive to work from and this would have been the place to start.

From my collection of books Jeremy Walton is the man to contact regarding the quattro ,after all his book "Audi quattro the development and competiton history" first published in 84 is the standard reference work on the subject. Ok so it stops short of the Sport and S2 but an update and a few chassis numbers would all it would take.

The net has a lot to answer for in that it has resulted in "authors" being able to "borrow" text/research and in many cases images without the consent of the original owners far too easily. Add to this a large number of "photographers" with their own 5 minute websites willing to give images away for free and this is why we end up with this sort of thread.

At least this chap has offered to pay which is a lot more than a number of household names in the rally journalist/author world are willing to do these days...

rx-guru
17th October 2008, 23:21
Can you put me into touch with him?

See my PM.

Olczyk
22nd October 2008, 16:23
Audi Quattro have race in England, Ireland, Greece, etc..etc...
If one of you known a old driver or owner, don t worry, I known how to make a book, see my previous one at http://www.classicscars.com
Thank You