PDA

View Full Version : Has watching the IRL made you watch NASCAR?

Areez2006
14th October 2008, 17:11
I first really started watching F1 heavily in 2006, and then on weekends when there weren't GPs, I would watch a Champ Car race. Once that ended, I started watching the IRL, and really became a fan of peole like Briscoe, Andretti, and Helio (don't really know why). I thought I would hate watching the oval races at first, but they have grown to be rather intersting (especially what Helio did at this year's season finale). Sooner or later, I caught myself watching random NASCAR races, and some have been kinda exciting. The only thing that doesn't make NASCAR really appealing are its drivers (Jeff Gordon is from California but I almost can't tell anymore). But at the end of the day, oval racing is oval racing, so I can't say one is better or worse, just that one goes faster than the other.

dataman1
14th October 2008, 17:26
No! Nascar is good for white noise, works well for taking a nap in my book.

16&Gtown
14th October 2008, 18:30
No! Nascar is good for white noise, works well for taking a nap in my book.

AGREED! Watching indycar has actually made me hate NASCAR, and feel sorry for its fans. While attending the season finale at chicagoland last month, i really found myself wondering how anyone could possible prefer to watch NASCAR over the IRL. I mean to each his own, and i respect that. But for someone to really say NASCAR is better racing is just an ignorant statemant by someone who has never actually watched an ICS event. Indy Lights as well in that case.

Lee Roy
14th October 2008, 18:34
For me, watching NASCAR just shows how thin and diluted the IRL has become. I don't watch the IRL at all anymore.

16&Gtown
14th October 2008, 18:39
For me, watching NASCAR just shows how thin and diluted the IRL has become. I don't watch the IRL at all anymore.

Lee Roy? I would of never assumed you were a NASCAR fan? Stereotypes are almost never true!

Scheckterfan54
14th October 2008, 18:44
I think that fans that prefer Nascar only do so because it is easier to follow. Think about it, in order to really follow ICS, you have to search for the information about your favorite driver. Nascar is everywhere (espn, abc, nbc, fox, speed). Indycar is a passion for it's fans, while ICS's fans are less in numbers, I like to think that Indycar fans know more about the sport than ANY nascar fan...I do not mind indycar's place in american motorsports pecking order, it is fun to be the frowned upon stepchild who is far more intelligent and interesting! NO DALES + NO FENDERS= REAL RACING

16&Gtown
14th October 2008, 18:46
I think that fans that prefer Nascar only do so because it is easier to follow. Think about it, in order to really follow ICS, you have to search for the information about your favorite driver. Nascar is everywhere (espn, abc, nbc, fox, speed). Indycar is a passion for it's fans, while ICS's fans are less in numbers, I like to think that Indycar fans know more about the sport than ANY nascar fan...I do not mind indycar's place in american motorsports pecking order, it is fun to be the frowned upon stepchild who is far more intelligent and interesting! NO DALES + NO FENDERS= REAL RACING

Its like some people (Toddlers/challenged) prefer books on tape the stories are easier to follow. While others actually take the time to learn how to read. Same difference right?

Scheckterfan54
14th October 2008, 18:49
Its like some people (Toddlers/challenged) prefer books on tape the stories are easier to follow. While others actually take the time to learn how to read. Same difference right?

yes

Chris R
14th October 2008, 18:54
no - Nascar has not been particularly interesting for 15+ years - pretty much since restrictor plates and cookie cutter cars,engines, and tracks. I watch less and less NASCAR every year - this year probably only part of 4 or 5 races....

A good IRL race beats NASCAR any day and a ho-hum IRL race is no worse than a ho-hum NASCAR race.....

Also, FWIW - I find IRL and F-1 races to be good length - NASCAR races are too long for someone with stuff to do....

garyshell
14th October 2008, 19:41

Hmmm, I seem to remember a time when the two Dales ran a car with fenders in a REAL race.

The biggest news of the event was the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette driven by Dale Earnhardt Sr. and Jr. The pair shared the car with Andy Pilgrim and Kelly Collins. Just after midnight the team had to replace a transmission and halfshaft but were able to make up the deficit and finish fourth overall and second in GTS.

Gary

champcarray
14th October 2008, 20:07
While my wife and I used to attend CART and NASCAR races throughout the Northeast, I echo much of what has already been said:

I am less interested in NASCAR nowadays -- the COT just isn't my thing. Plus we're too busy with our lives to watch such lengthy races. I have seen parts of several races this year, but have not watched any of them from start to finish.

I did watch some of the ICS races from start to finish and saw at least part of all of them, but I'm not fully enamored with the current formula. A spec chassis and engine approach doesn't quite do it for me.

Lee Roy
14th October 2008, 21:05
I did watch some of the ICS races from start to finish and saw at least part of all of them, but I'm not fully enamored with the current formula. A spec chassis and engine approach doesn't quite do it for me.

I agree.

I used to travel to see CART races when they had 2 or 3 chasis manufacturers as well as cars built by the teams, and 3 or 4 different engine manufacturers. Wondering which Dallara Honda is going to win just doesn't do it for me. But I do love F1, don't miss a one on the tube and used to love to travel to see them when they came to North America (been to both Indy and Canada). I guess I want to see competition between manufacturers or teams that build their own stuff.

Have to agree on the length of NASCAR races. I've been watching less this year. Too long in front of the tube, even though the racing is great (except for plate racing).

DazzlaF1
14th October 2008, 21:15
I first began watching Indycars/Champ Cars when Mark Blundell went over from F1, while following that (i was young at the time) i learned a bit more about the racing scene in america and then i heard about the death of Dale Earnhardt, before that, i was'nt much of a fan. But hearing of his death led to me watching my first Nascar race which i remember well, Atlanta 2001 in which Kevin Harvick took his first win, i was hooked from then on in.

Also i've grown to realise that the more you watch Nascar, the more you appreciate what it really is rather than a bunch of rednecks driving round in circles 500 times.

If i were to choose between the 2 as to which is better to watch, i would pick Indycar

NickFalzone
15th October 2008, 01:45
I watch both, though I generally skip 2/3rds NASCAR races. Too long, too many commercials. The racing in the last hour I usually watch. The truck series and nationwide are better these days than Cup. I do not find it necessary to tear down one series to like another, they both have their good qualities and their not-so-good ones. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd choose IRL, but NASCAR is a good change of pace every once in awhile.

SpeedyCars
15th October 2008, 02:07
I watch both. I like Nascar mostly because of my professional connection over the years. I like Indy because it feels more personal and you can identify with the guys coming up the ranks. It got even better when an Indy driver moved into my neighborhood recently.

call_me_andrew
15th October 2008, 08:04
I like both. I was obsessed with NASCAR just 8 years ago, but in that time I grew up, became a mechanic, and determined that carburetors just aren't enough to keep my attention.

F1boat
15th October 2008, 10:01
Yes. AOWR made me interested in US racing in general, so I started to watch NASCAR, ALMS, Grand-Am...

Oli_M
15th October 2008, 11:53
I've been a long time follower of F1. I started watching a bit of Champ car and indycar a few years ago. This year, I have got into NASCAR. I'm not completely sure why, but I do tend to prefer watching NASCAR races over Indycar..... and races from any of NASCARs top 3 tiers.

To me, I think its just that I find the Indycar street courses a little messy and unproffesional. On the Oval races, I only see about 5 of the Indycar drivers who have a real chance of win, in NASCAR it can easily be one of 20 odd drivers.

Not trying to flame in any way, I still end up watching most Indycar races, just trying to give you an idea of my opinions.

elis
15th October 2008, 13:36
Nope, I prefer my wheels open :)

BoilerIMS
15th October 2008, 15:29
Self-admitted, former NASCAR junky. Got really mad watching a Talladega plate race circa 2002, switched to the IRL race and have hardly looked back. Once I got SPEED and became an F1 anorak it was all over.

bblocker68
15th October 2008, 15:52
Nope. I don't watch wrastlin' either :)

nigelred5
18th October 2008, 02:45
Actually, It's probably made me watch LESS NASCAR More F1 and Grand AM and ALMS. Been spending time between restoring an old VW beetle and building another dune buggy. I did manage to watch Petit LeMans, but It's basically been football season. I haven't watched a Nascar race since The Glen, nor have I really had a desire to. I really have only watched a handful of laps since the 600.. The chase is more like "The Farce". Kyle Busch was running away with it and now he's no where and yet again, look who's leading it all. Havn't seen much worth watching since the chase started. The NASCAR season ended in Richmond IMHO. NASCAR's going to implode before long anyway, so I just kinda quit watching.

Rex Monaco
18th October 2008, 16:33
I was watching NASCAR long before the IRL entered someones empty head.

The appeal that OW cars on oval tracks had for me was with their increasing speeds and their broken track records each year.

Now I prefer NASCAR on ovals, as it takes more car control skill to keep those heavy pigs on the track and pointed straight.

Maybe if the new engine is a Turbo I4, it help bring back a new chapter of setting some TI4 era track records for a few years.

The instant classic
20th October 2008, 18:34
for sure indycar has made me watch nascar more,
indycar year is to short, and by the season end i still want my racing fill so yeah indycar makes me watch nascar, and the thing is, i prefer watching nascar over indycar now, weird huh? i havent watch nascar in 4 years now, and just this year i started watching again, and i grow up watching nascar, and i watch it now and it feels like im home, even tho i still watch indycar,

Areez2006
21st October 2008, 03:16
for sure indycar has made me watch nascar more,
indycar year is to short, and by the season end i still want my racing fill so yeah indycar makes me watch nascar, and the thing is, i prefer watching nascar over indycar now, weird huh? i havent watch nascar in 4 years now, and just this year i started watching again, and i grow up watching nascar, and i watch it now and it feels like im home, even tho i still watch indycar,

hey, if you like it then watch it I say...I just don't understand the need for so many races in NASCAR, I mean, don't they visit some tracks twice a year in the same season?

Lee Roy
21st October 2008, 12:54
...I just don't understand the need for so many races in NASCAR . . . .

Supply and Demand.

There is a Demand for NASCAR races so NASCAR Supplies them.

garyshell
21st October 2008, 15:25
Supply and Demand.

There is a Demand for NASCAR races so NASCAR Supplies them.

Over supply has also appeared to dilute the demand of late. Things are not as rosy as they were the past few years. The fans are starting to tune out a bit. Their numbers are still enviable, but slipping nonetheless.

Gary

call_me_andrew
22nd October 2008, 07:19
As I recall, NASCAR's TV ratings are up this year.

nanders
22nd October 2008, 12:46
I'm finding I watch less motorsport all the time. I have only watched one NASCAR race this year and that was the Daytona 500. However, I occasionally read a web story or watch a TV news article. I'm very tired of the format. None of it is as exciting as when Petty and Pearson were racing by themselves a half lap ahead of the field.

I was on the CCWS series side of the split and had not paid attention to the IRL for years but 2 years ago started watching in an effort to support AOWR overall. The spec nature of AOWR has really numbed my excitement for the sport. I too was excited about the technology race and find it misguided that it's no longer part of IndyCar. Since the demise of the 810 HP slingshot draft pass IndyCar has lost it for me too. This side by side stuff where they barely inch ahead is motorsport Nyquil.

Indycar needs to get the HP to a place where the drivers have to drive with their right foot, not just mash it.

What's made watching it even worse is iDT brought out a 1995 CART series SIM Racing mod for rFactor and I'm living in my own "pinnacle of CART" fantasy.

Mark in Oshawa
24th October 2008, 17:19
It is funny. Side by side racing with 20 cars going at it at Talladega turns the cranks of some, and puts a lot of OW guys to sleep. It is why some of us like Beer and some drink wine I guess. It is a matter of taste but one isn't better than the other really. The two are just different.

I guess I am a glutton. I like both.

Actually, factor in Sports Car racing and drag racing and I am omniverious.

I grew up 20 miles from Mosport. My first racing event was the 1971 Canadian GP and I remember watching Jackie Stewart win in the rain. My other early racing memories are going to Westgate (now Peterborough) Speedway and watching stockcars on the 1/4 mile there. I saw my first "Indy" cars in a sense when the old F5000 series came to Mosport with basically stock block V8 Indy cars. I was at the first Molson Indy when it came to Toronto and have been there for all but 5 since. So I grew up exposed to so many different forms of racing I cant pick just one. Nor should I have to and why would I?

The thread starter I presume is more aimed at the European fan of the IRL and to them, oval racing is a novelty they don't really see in Europe. For me....the IRL didn't make me watch NASCAR per se...I always watched NASCAR. I watched whatever form of racing suited my interest and was available.

I don't understand why there has to be a hatred or dislike of one or the other all the time. Maybe because I was exposed to two extremes (f1 and then local short track stock cars) at an early age I just lumped it all together.

Today..if pushed I watched NASCAR. Why? I find the ABC/ESPN Indycar coverage not even close to the quality of the NASCAR broadcasts. The split has a little to do with it since I got out of the rhythm of watching IRL events since I was a CART loyalist in 95 and kind of got caught up in that, but having said that, I have never missed watching an Indy 500. Not once....I have always loved that race for the history and spectacle that it is. I watch NASCAR however for the most part (and ALMS if I can) because it so EASY now. It is omnipresent and since I am now over the road and not watching as much TV, I get the races on my satellite radio. The PRN and MRN guys know how to do a radio broadcast of a race and with Pit to Crew channels, you can hear the byplay of Dale Jr. or Tony Stewart cussing away at their crew chiefs. No other race series is giving me that access.

As for f1...the racing is gotten so boring that I watch qualifying so I know who will likely win that weekend. The courses are amazing at times but the actual racing is boring.

As for the IRL...Iam now watching the races if I can as I was one of those who realized around 2000 or so that maybe it was time for the merger so it would be hypocritical of me to say I don't watch. But as I said....the TV coverage just doesn't do it for me. The on air guys are better now than it was when Paul Page was doing it (Paul lost me in his last few years doing it) but I don't get the sense they are having fun doing the race. Jack Arute and the boys in the pits annoy me. Give me the NASCAR ABC/ESPN gang with the girls in the pits and Dr. Jerry Punch and the Hickory Mafia upstairs or the Fox guys. They are all having fun and it shows.

For a live show I would see either and enjoy either but on TV...the IRL broadcasts just aren't enticing as the NASCAR ones.

So I would say in closing watching the IRL has made me watch more NASCAR...but not always because of the racing.