PDA

View Full Version : Honda's pitstop/traffic light system

wedge
14th October 2008, 14:00
http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Ted_Kravitz&id=44274

It works differently to the Ferrari system, as it features an immobiliser, or a ‘lockout’ system that will physically immobilise the car – not just a red light, the driver will not have control of the car – while it is in the pit box and the fuel hose is connected.

Using an immobiliser during a race. That can’t go wrong, can it…

gravity
14th October 2008, 15:18
After the other teams work out where that little switch is, u might find them sitting on the side of the road with pea shooters trying to flip the switch. LOL

call_me_andrew
15th October 2008, 07:54
I think the simpiliest solution is to have two switches to work the light. One switch controlled by a man monitoring the pit stop itself, and another watching for traffic. The driver would only get the green light when both switches have been tripped.

Valve Bounce
15th October 2008, 09:06
Unless Honda is able to install a rocket which would fire up after the car departs the pit lane, nothing else would help at the moment.
Rounding up the tail-enders is not something I would enthuse upon, no matter what Honda comes up with.

PolePosition_1
15th October 2008, 09:08
I think the simpiliest solution is to have two switches to work the light. One switch controlled by a man monitoring the pit stop itself, and another watching for traffic. The driver would only get the green light when both switches have been tripped.

That would work, but it would erode away the advantage the light system has, saving reaction time.

If you keep on adding middle men to make decisions, the reaction times willl be the same as a lollipop man.

The traffic light system is only going to work better if you can cut out reaction time.

I think Ferrari have got it right. They just have to improve human performance. As all their pit troubles have come from human errors.

ioan
15th October 2008, 10:17

I think they have 3 of them switches. I for a guy monitoring the tire changes, one for monitoring the fuel guys and one for the pit lane traffic. Still they got it wrong. Because it's 3x more decision making processes and thus 3x more chances for an error to appear.