PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Rally Japan - official thread

Pages : [1] 2

gloomyDAY
13th October 2008, 08:34
Yes, I know it's early, but I'm glad that were finally back to rallying.

Got fed up watching underpowered cars struggling around asphalt.

alexlake
13th October 2008, 18:46
wonder what will happen?, a slow down by fords at the end of friday??

ChickenMcNugget
13th October 2008, 18:55
I'm looking forward to it. At least the effect of the tactics has kept the title 'race' interesting. If I were a betting man, then now could be as good a time as any to bet on a Hirvonen win given that Loeb needs just the podium to clinch the title (I think?) and his team do longer need to overexert themselves either. That, and Loeb's stated priority of winning in Wales.

gloomyDAY
25th October 2008, 23:10
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff266/oughtumn/Bump.jpg

Ghostwalker
26th October 2008, 01:29
well i anticipate a win for Seb actually.
Since Miko and Latvala need to go flat out to try to win and when doing so its easy to do a mistake.

And Seb usually says in his interviews that he doesnt like to go "slow" coz he feels thats it increases the risk for him to do mistake.

to quote myself from another thread:

so what do you say about this rally?

What strategy (as in push max or slow but safe?) do you think the drivers/teams will have?

Mikko obviously have to go for the win if he want the championship to be alive when they get to Wales.

Latvala-? probably need to push hard as well to try and help Mikko.

Sebastien well i think he will try to push maybe 90%? you know as normal but with some margin.

Sordo , i think he might need to push harder then Seb incase Seb would make a mistake or have some technical/mechanical error.

Stobart the same as BP Ford.

the rest will obsiously drive to win.

The stages are all new this year arent they? this means that Seb has an advantage since he is a master of learning and memorising new stages.

A.F.F.
26th October 2008, 07:06
Mikko will win.

Seb won't be trying too hard as he only needs the points for securing his fifth title.

WRCfan
27th October 2008, 13:26
I think you are right. Seb doesn't need to go like a bat out of hell here. Mikko is in a all-or-nothing situation so Loeb knows to drive at pace although he doesn't need to take risks like Mikko.

Will be interesting. Pity I am not there with Matt again this year!!

Mr Lopez
29th October 2008, 10:58
What time will the shakedown be at (UK time)

noel157
29th October 2008, 11:29
All times local:

Location: Sapporo Super Special Stage (Subject to be approved by FIA)
Stage length: (approx) 1.46km
Surface: Mixed concrete and asphalt
Service: Sapporo Service Park
Distance to Service Park: Adjacent to the Service Park.
FIA Priority 1 and 2 Drivers
Date and Time: Thursday 30 October
0800hrs - 1200hrs
FIA Priority 3 Drivers
Date and Time: Thursday 25 October
1000hrs - 1200hrs

Japan is 9 hrs ahead of UK so SD starts 11pm tonight.

Rally Hokkaido
29th October 2008, 12:14
All times local:

0800hrs - 1200hrs
FIA Priority 3 Drivers
1000hrs - 1200hrs

can't wait!

Buzz Lightyear
29th October 2008, 15:16
All times local:

0800hrs - 1200hrs
FIA Priority 3 Drivers
1000hrs - 1200hrs

You mean 1am?

COD
29th October 2008, 15:21
Reports say, that it has been snowing on some of the stages, one stage in danger of being cancelled

DonJippo
29th October 2008, 15:34
You mean 1am?

No, Japan 8am is UK 11pm, it is 1am on EET zone.

Buzz Lightyear
29th October 2008, 15:49
No, Japan 8am is UK 11pm, it is 1am on EET zone.

OK, I was looking at P3. Thanks.

jbmarcus21
29th October 2008, 17:36
PROGRAM JAPAN'08

Program of Japan Rally 2008
(Program-TimeTable-Overview Special Stages-Google Earth Map of Rally !!
( click on picture or here (http://planetemarcus.free.fr/japon08.htm) )

PS : for UK, switch down just one hour of my timetable.

http://planetemarcus.free.fr/fondjapon08.jpg (http://planetemarcus.free.fr/japon08.htm)

Ghostwalker
29th October 2008, 17:51
nice work jbmarcus

Micke_VOC
29th October 2008, 23:49
Any news from the sd ?
Think it has begun about one hour ago.

SD is the same that sss in the arena..so not intresting anyway maybe

JAM
30th October 2008, 01:30
Nice work jbmarcus. The official site don't have the timetable :confused:

Looking at that site, i don't see anything useful... is my problem?

Rally Hokkaido
30th October 2008, 01:54
merci pour info, jbmarcus.
I cannot find any SD times yet, even on Japanese websites.

Rally Hokkaido
30th October 2008, 03:18
Well, I just saw a news report on TV about shakedown.
The SSS course is very narrow and the surface looked like painted concrete.
The footage showed both Loeb and Toni hooking an inside front wheel over the red/white kerbing. Trouble is they pulled sections of the kerbing out onto the course as they drove over it!
No times were mentioned, not relevant anyway.

René
30th October 2008, 06:40
Here are the best times from each of the WRC drivers: ;)

1. Sordo: 2:34.2
2. Duval: 2:34.5
3. Hirvonen: 2:34.6
4. H. Solberg: 2:35.0
5. Loeb: 2:35.1
6. P. Solberg: 2:35.1
7. Atkinson: 2:35.3
8. Latvala: 2:35.6
9. Villagra: 2:36.1
10. Gardemeister: 2:37.4
11. Wilson: 2:37.6
12. Andersson: 2:38.8
13. Rautenbach: 2:43.0

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3050&desc=Sordo%20fastest%20at%20Rally%20Japan%20Shaked own

Rally Hokkaido
30th October 2008, 06:42
Here's a link to a clip that shows one of the kerb incidents.
From this angle you can't really see Seb (Dani?) clip the kerb on the left before the flyover, but at around 1:10 you can see an official running over to remove the kerbing.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=H2L7iX21Iow

AndyRAC
30th October 2008, 07:59
Wasn't the Shakedown inside the Dome? What's all that about?

White Sauron
30th October 2008, 08:50
Any PWRC times available?

kakus
30th October 2008, 10:00
ES3 and ES7 cancelled

KKS
30th October 2008, 10:03
Anybody have official Japan timetable?

cosmicpanda
30th October 2008, 10:15
oh, ffs, what's wrong with a bit of snow?

I hope they don't start canceling stages on the monte due to snow.

MJW
30th October 2008, 10:39
There was snow on Myherin stage of Wales GB yesterday (29th Oct) hope they dont cancel any WRGB stages because of snow, that was a good reason to go into mid Wales.

PLuto
30th October 2008, 11:18
Yes, it is true: http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=7551

SS 3/7 cancelled, SS 23/28 shortened

AndyRAC
30th October 2008, 11:29
Yes, it is true: http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=7551

SS 3/7 cancelled, SS 23/28 shortened

What the ,................what is this sport coming to?? :mad:

That's part of the challenge. What would they have done on the 1993/1996 RAC Rallies?

Sorry, this is a joke.

cosmicpanda
30th October 2008, 11:49
still, they say there's some snow on the other 70 km or so of stages left.

ShiftingGears
30th October 2008, 11:53
Watch out! Changing conditions! In a rally! :eek:

Someone bring out the safety car!

Ghostwalker
30th October 2008, 12:15
What the ,................what is this sport coming to?? :mad:

That's part of the challenge. What would they have done on the 1993/1996 RAC Rallies?

Sorry, this is a joke.

yeah its a farse really. If they are afraid of some snow why do they have the rally so late in the year then? And i think that snow or not its still the driver who decides how he will drive is car depending on the conditions.

WRC1
30th October 2008, 12:39
wtf????!!!!

"Citroen's Sebastien Loeb said that it would be not be possible to do the Isepo test with gravel tyres if there was snow."

go to circuit racing mr. perfect, it was possible 20 years before with much less developed tires and cars, so why not now??

sweden 2008 was also a gravel rally with parts of snow and ice and there was no problem for most of the drivers, so wheres exactly the problem in japan??

Ghostwalker
30th October 2008, 12:47
wrc1 it depends on what kind of gravel tyres they use in japan. For what kind of temperatures they are intended. Regular tyres becomes useless when the temperatures gets colder then +2-3 celsius especially in the combination of snow and ice.

AndyRAC
30th October 2008, 12:56
Which shows the current tyre regs are wrong.
What would happen if there was snow on RallyGB? Cancel the event?

WRC1
30th October 2008, 12:58
sure, but the best drivers in the world should be able to drive this tires on every surface....it is no big surprise that in this time of the year can be snow in japan, so i can imagine pirelli dont use the acropolis gravel tyre there.

reg

wrc1

Brother John
30th October 2008, 13:02
Yes this is a joke. This is ridiculous, the conditions are for everyone the same and we also drive to the job if there is a couple centimetre snow in the morning. :s mokin: If Mr. perfekt (Loeb)thinks this way concerning rally, how can he be then the best rally driver that we ever saw? :rolleyes:

wrc_flipper
30th October 2008, 13:17
Anybody have official Japan timetable?

http://rallybuzz.stagetimes.com/armchair-guide-rally-japan/

DonJippo
30th October 2008, 13:21
There is said to be snow on every stage on Friday not just on this canceled one. You need to remember it's not only about rally cars getting through the stages but safety vehicles as well.

Rally Hokkaido
30th October 2008, 13:27
wrc1 it depends on what kind of gravel tyres they use in japan. For what kind of temperatures they are intended. Regular tyres becomes useless when the temperatures gets colder then +2-3 celsius especially in the combination of snow and ice.

The temperature forecast for Yubari City tomorrow is 0.5 degrees at 0600 hours, climbing to 6.0 degrees by 1200 hours. The stages are higher than the city, which is in
a valley.

COD
30th October 2008, 13:54
BS this whole cancelling stages. I was spectating in Kielder in 1996? when it was full snow and they only had gravel tyres of that era. They did fine, specially rember the spectacular driving of Stig in a 1600cc Skoda (think he was 3rd overall on that stage).

these modern drivers are spoilt, and I'm sure in that part on Japan they have safety vehicles that are capable of handling the snow.

JAM
30th October 2008, 13:54
In a few hours we saw two ridicolous things:

- A gravel event with the shakedown in a concret surface SS? Umbelievable.
- To cancel a stage because there is snow and the tyres are not the best ones to snow? If the surface of the stage would meltdwon and the cars would be stuck on the mud, it would be acceptable a cancelation, but because of the tyres... :rolleyes:

The WRC is really in bad shape...

MJW
30th October 2008, 14:17
I hope the organisers dont decide to replace all the snow covered gravel with more runs in that concrete dome! Perhaps they keep that idea until the global promoter is appointed.

Ghostwalker
30th October 2008, 14:22
found some weather forecasts for sapporo:

http://www.yr.no/place/Japan/Hokkaid%C5%8D/Sapporo/

MJW
30th October 2008, 14:36
wtf????!!!!

"Citroen's Sebastien Loeb said that it would be not be possible to do the Isepo test with gravel tyres if there was snow."

go to circuit racing mr. perfect, it was possible 20 years before with much less developed tires and cars, so why not now??

This is what leaves a nagging doubt in my mind about Loeb, in all probability he will set the record in winning 5 drivers championships, but he complained in Argentina and at other times this year about not having 'perfect choice tyres'. Somehow I dont see Tommi, Juha, Marcus and Colin taking this stance, go back further and can you see Ari and Pentti making such comments? - And that is why I think Loeb owes his wins to the perfection of Citroen and the total package. I'd like to see him drag a 2wd drive car to the finish of a Safari (showing my age with comments like that) Loeb is a perfect driver in a perfect and sanitised world.

RS
30th October 2008, 14:54
BS this whole cancelling stages. I was spectating in Kielder in 1996? when it was full snow and they only had gravel tyres of that era. They did fine, specially rember the spectacular driving of Stig in a 1600cc Skoda (think he was 3rd overall on that stage).

He was third overall at the end of the rally :)

RS
30th October 2008, 14:58
I was thinking, what with them not liking the snow too much, and shakedown and 5 stages being in the stadium, perhaps WRC and IRC could swap initials and WRC could become "Indoors Rally Championship"

Kamikaze
30th October 2008, 15:24

Loeb "the Best Rallye-Driver of all Times" is angry to drive on Snow without the perfect Tyres ?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Simmi
30th October 2008, 15:28
I am assuming if the majority of stages are covered in snow then this must be an extreme case? It doesnt sound like anyone is saying we cant drive on snow at all. Hopefully some of it remains on the stages and we get to see something a bit different.

The shakedown in a dome is a stupid idea but Japan has used its SS for a shakedown for a few years now. So nothing new in that sense.

MJW
30th October 2008, 15:54
Different attitude to the snow - extract from Hennings Blog for Pirelli.

Last days they say it has been snowing and I have heard that the organisers might even cancel stage three because there is too much snow. I don't think they should do this at all because for me it is much more fun to drive... lots more sideways action!

gloomyDAY
30th October 2008, 16:28

Last days they say it has been snowing and I have heard that the organisers might even cancel stage three because there is too much snow. I don't think they should do this at all because for me it is much more fun to drive... lots more sideways action!The Nordic drivers were probably dead set for that challenge. Shame stages were canceled for a bit of snow.

playmo
30th October 2008, 16:50

Last days they say it has been snowing and I have heard that the organisers might even cancel stage three because there is too much snow. I don't think they should do this at all because for me it is much more fun to drive... lots more sideways action!

That's the spirit!, and also that's the reason for wich Mr. Perfect, will never be Mr. Greatest-driver-ever (Mr. Pupular+Mr. Perfect).

BUT, y'all have to consider that Mr. Perfect has a status-quo that seems keen to preserve (remember the negative to running Monte 2009 on a S1600?), if you ask me it's bullsh!t, and besides, has NOTHING to prove/loose; maybe it really IS time for him to MOVE ON to other class, wich gives him "perfects" that ARE'NT supposed to HAPPEN on rallying.

Other than all that stupid stage cancelling, it would have been a great event to follow, now i'm all bitter and angry.

Lalo
30th October 2008, 16:51
Loeb "the Best Rallye-Driver of all Times" is angry to drive on Snow without the perfect Tyres ?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Chicken! Po po po poooooo!!!

Isn't it good to have some challenge in your career when you are already a top driver with many many records? Besides, he has done the same thing (to drive on snow without the proper tyre) many times in Monte Carlo and has got away with wins. What's big deal?

Also, he doesn't need to win the rally in order to get the crown, so he can slow down if he wants.

sal
30th October 2008, 16:54
Dont they cancel races in Nascar and oval racing in the USA? Perhaps Seb should persuade Citroen to join the good ol' boys!

Greatest ever rally driver my arse...

c4
30th October 2008, 17:05
Photos and vids S/D
http://rallybuzz.stagetimes.com/news-pioneer-rally-japan/

sal
30th October 2008, 17:13
Do the drivers realise that they are planning mixed events for next year? What happens when there's a bit of dust on the tarmac...?

dyfi1
30th October 2008, 17:15
Photos and vids S/D
http://rallybuzz.stagetimes.com/news-pioneer-rally-japan/

Thanks for link.... I thought that the shakedown stage is supposed to represent what the drivers might encounter? Polished concrete stages, lol.

Ghostwalker
30th October 2008, 17:20
Seb is the only Good driver in the field, the rest is fillers

alexlake
30th October 2008, 18:27
can someone tell me how much snow there was? few inches, feet??

MJW
30th October 2008, 18:49
Also, he doesn't need to win the rally in order to get the crown, so he can slow down if he wants.
Thats probably a key statement - Loeb has the most to loose in a snow coverd stage on not 'perfect tyres' - he expects to wrap up teh championship this weekend, if he went off, due to 'not perfect tyres /road conditions and Mikko wins then its down to Wales Rally GB where Loeb would again have to drive for the championship and he says he wants to win Wales outright.

Tomi
30th October 2008, 18:54
Do the drivers realise that they are planning mixed events for next year? What happens when there's a bit of dust on the tarmac...?

Rally drivers drives like normal, but I guess that the "boulevard primadonnas" put their high heels on ;)

alexlake
30th October 2008, 19:00
this made me laugh
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3057&desc=Gardemeister%20goes%20back%20to%20driving%20s chool

Xsara Fan
30th October 2008, 19:15
Photos from Japan:
http://vertunov.com/html/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,36/catid,17/PageNo,1/

dimviii
30th October 2008, 19:37
so no news about pwrc shake down times? :confused:

Micke_VOC
30th October 2008, 19:52

Brynildssen second according to a message he sent to http://www.norsk-rally.com
He thinked his time was 2:43:2

cut the b.s.
30th October 2008, 19:54
whoa, lots of anger for Loeb, it was hardly his call, does anyone know here what conditions are like on the stage in question? I dont and anyone else who doesnt should chill for a bit as we cant make these calls from our armchairs.
For sure I remember the RAC in the mid 90's with snow, it was awesome following it, but times have changed in this sport/business.

Tomi
30th October 2008, 20:08
whoa, lots of anger for Loeb, it was hardly his call, does anyone know here what conditions are like on the stage in question? I dont and anyone else who doesnt should chill for a bit as we cant make these calls from our armchairs.
For sure I remember the RAC in the mid 90's with snow, it was awesome following it, but times have changed in this sport/business.

Thats right, atleast stage 3 is impossible to drive the road is too soft.

AndyRAC
30th October 2008, 20:09

And that is the problem I and it seems a lot on here have. The sport has really been 'dumbed down' in a the last 10 or so years - and now this. Look, I'm all for safety but sometimes they use that as an excuse when they don't fancy something - Mixed surfaces, Night stages, etc That was always something that made Rallying special - drivers doing their best in difficult situations.
The single tyre supplier and the subsequent rules aren't good - no cutting allowed, and one type of tyre - ridiculous. Another thing that needs sorting out over the winter.

ARF
30th October 2008, 20:18
There was lots of snow on that stage. And with tyre as they have now, it would have been really dangerous and the stage would have been cancelled anyway.
It's not always about how great the drivers were 20 years ago... Cars were different (sloooower), tyres different (you could choose), everything was different.
I'm more than sure, if any of those posters before, was to drive on snow with that DS Pirelli tyre, they'd be off in 200m. Gravel tyre on snow is slippier than normal roadcar's summer tyre on snow.
There were also many offs already during the recce on that stage.

TMorel
30th October 2008, 20:52
What I want to know is where are the Ford boys condeming Seb for his comments about not being able to drive on the tyres they have.

Daniel
30th October 2008, 21:08
Which shows the current tyre regs are wrong.
What would happen if there was snow on RallyGB? Cancel the event?

Exactly. It's not Loeb's fault cutting of tyres isn't allowed. Back in the old days Michelin and Pirelli would have brought tyres for most situations but now with these stupid tyre rules it can't happen and the drivers can't even cut their tyres. I look forward to seeing Loeb cruising to an easy 3rd or 4th :)

PuddleJumper
30th October 2008, 21:50
can someone tell me how much snow there was? few inches, feet??
More than Sweden earlier this year?

Halvis
30th October 2008, 22:10
When does the first stage begin? Anyone that knows?

Raini
30th October 2008, 22:14

1. Hänninen 2.43,1
2. Eyvind Brynildsen
3. Armindo Araujo
4. Martin Rauam 2.45,7
5. Takuma Kamada

That's all I know according to this:
http://www.martinrauam.com/?id=news&n=186

PuddleJumper
30th October 2008, 22:26
Is anyone else having difficulty accessing wrc.com? I'm just getting a blank page. :\

jbmarcus21
30th October 2008, 22:28
When does the first stage begin? Anyone that knows?

where do you come from ?

for UTC/GMT +1 : the program is http://planetemarcus.free.fr/programmejapon08.htm

For UK (UTC/GMT), retire ONE HOUR of my program ;)

Tomi
30th October 2008, 22:29
Is anyone else having difficulty accessing wrc.com? I'm just getting a blank page. :\

yes i have has for few years already, i kind of get feeling ill if i access the site.

Halvis
30th October 2008, 22:37
where do you come from ?

for UTC/GMT +1 : the program is http://planetemarcus.free.fr/programmejapon08.htm

For UK (UTC/GMT), retire ONE HOUR of my program ;)

Thanks, so it's 1.5 hour left then.

dimviii
30th October 2008, 22:38
Thanks Raini!!

ps i can access wrc.com

jbmarcus21
30th October 2008, 22:40
Thanks, so it's 1.5 hour left then.

yes true ;)

noel157
30th October 2008, 23:06
UK stage times, day 1:

From midnight tonight

SS1 Heper 1 FCD 00.13 Dist 13.24 km
SS2 Yuporo 1 FCD 00.41 Dist 11.10 km
Remote refuel
SS3 Isepo 1 Cancelled
SS4 Pipaoi 1 FCD 02.22 Dist 5.74 km

Service Sapporo Dome

SS5 Heper 2 FCD 05.30 Dist 13.24 km
SS6 Yuparo 2 FCD 05.58 Dist 11.10 km
Remote Refuel
SS7 Isepo 2 Cancelled
SS8 Pipaoi 2 FCD 06.39 Dist 5.74 km
SS9 Sapporo SS FCD 09.14 Dist 1.46 km
SS10 Sapporo SS again FCD 09.24 Dist 1.26

Rally Hokkaido
30th October 2008, 23:40
Good morning, everyone!
It was 1 degree here in Obihiro this morning and there's a clear blue sky.
However I'm about 2 hours east of today's stages and this a mountain range in between, which blocks most of the 'Siberian' weather from reaching here.
Currently it's cloudy with a temperature of about 2 degrees in Yubari (SS1 &2) and 4 degrees in Mikasa (SS4)

N.O.T
30th October 2008, 23:50
13 minutes remaining.....

Raini
30th October 2008, 23:59
Good morning to everyone...
wrc rally radio has just started :)

ZequeArgentina
31st October 2008, 00:00
Hi people, just about to start!!

I do expect Latvla to be quick here, but after his "downgrade" to Stobart, may be he will secure a podium and not risk for a hipoteticall win.

Loeb shoud on the other hand be OK with a second, and almost title on his hand.

So should ot be Mikko to win here??

Interesting to see Evo X group N development.

ZequeArgentina
31st October 2008, 00:02
Good morning, everyone!
It was 1 degree here in Obihiro this morning and there's a clear blue sky.
However I'm about 2 hours east of today's stages and this a mountain range in between, which blocks most of the 'Siberian' weather from reaching here.
Currently it's cloudy with a temperature of about 2 degrees in Yubari (SS1 &2) and 4 degrees in Mikasa (SS4)

Hi RallyHok, nice to see you back here.
Unfoirtunately this year I do not have Pozzo to follow in Japan in his title bid (last year PWRC), but your comment s On the Evo X will be welcomed!!

N.O.T
31st October 2008, 00:06
no splits yet ...hmmmmm

N.O.T
31st October 2008, 00:11
splis are on Loeb and Hirvonen equal 1st split

N.O.T
31st October 2008, 00:14
seems tha Loeb is just going to control this rally to win the championship, not 1st place

Micke_VOC
31st October 2008, 00:16
This gone be a interesting night... Have loaded upp with snacks and food ... =)
Hirvo -5.2 second split to loeb =)

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 00:17
Hi RallyHok, nice to see you back here.
Unfoirtunately this year I do not have Pozzo to follow in Japan in his title bid (last year PWRC), but your comment s On the Evo X will be welcomed!!

Hi Zeque,
Watch out for Taguchi Katsu. He has a wild card PCWRC entry and his Evo X is the official Ralliart car. Of course, Nutahara has most experience in an Evo X but only sat in his PCWRC car on Monday. His national-spec car is slightly different spec - no big brakes, safety fuel tank (less fuel load) and no Pirellis, of course.

jonkka
31st October 2008, 00:18
G'Night fellas... lots of people active this night...

ZequeArgentina
31st October 2008, 00:20
So, where is Latvala?????? I hope faulty split

EDIT: YEP, WRC correct it, he is rigth there

N.O.T
Hirvonen takes a 14 seconds lead in the first one....

KKS
13 sec quicker .... This rally could be interesting

jonkka
31st October 2008, 00:23
Hi Zeque,
Watch out for Taguchi Katsu. He has a wild card PCWRC entry and his Evo X is the official Ralliart car. Of course, Nutahara has most experience in an Evo X but only sat in his PCWRC car on Monday. His national-spec car is slightly different spec - no big brakes, safety fuel tank (less fuel load) and no Pirellis, of course.

How come no Pirellis? His EvoX isn't 4WD?

18.1 General
Pirelli has been nominated by the FIA as the single tyre supplier to distribute the tyres for the rallies in the Championship. All drivers entering a 4WD car must use the tyres specified by the FIA.

Raini
no Sordo in finish?

jonkka
No time for Sordo?

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 00:24
nice third split for Latvala, Mikko +2

KKS
31st October 2008, 00:25
Sordo problems?

WRC1
attko is trough, but no Sordo....

ZequeArgentina

18.1 General
Pirelli has been nominated by the FIA as the single tyre supplier to distribute the tyres for the rallies in the Championship. All drivers entering a 4WD car must use the tyres specified by the FIA.

He is talking about Nuthara´s national champ Evo X, and that Fumio only sat in a PWRC spèc Evo X just before the rally. At least that is what I understood

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 00:27

18.1 General

I meant that Nutahara didn't use Pirelli tyres in the Japan National Ch'ship.
Apparently, the Pirellis are much heavier than the light construction Yokohamas
that he uses and the suspension setup required is different.

Micke_VOC
They are talking about loeb´s car leaking oil on the rallyradio...

John V
No time for Sordo?
Just no final stage time, he passed through OK

noel157
31st October 2008, 00:28
Splatter effect? Has Colin been watching too much CSI?
Sordo through.

Raini
31st October 2008, 00:28
sordo is ok...

jonkka
31st October 2008, 00:32
I meant that Nutahara didn't use Pirelli tyres in the Japan National Ch'ship.
Apparently, the Pirellis are much heavier than the light construction Yokohamas
that he uses and the suspension setup required is different.

Ah - ok, I see...

jonkka
31st October 2008, 00:33
Interestingly, even Matt W. is faster than Loeb but Subarus aren't.

N.O.T
31st October 2008, 00:36
nice to see that they spotted the problem at subaru and now with the ohlins shocks on they fly towards victory.

If Loeb doesn;t have a problem he just showed a new definiton of ''taking it easy''.

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 00:37
Seb's car was covered with more mud than the others - a small off, maybe?

John V
31st October 2008, 00:39
Seb's car was covered with more mud than the others - a small off, maybe?
Caused by being first on the road I think, but everything is possible

fastboy
31st October 2008, 00:41
M.Wilson has been told by Malcom he can drive more aggresively for here and Wales and i am sure he will suprise a few people. He has served his apprenticeship now for the real thing.

PLuto
31st October 2008, 00:44
M.Wilson has been told by Malcom he can drive more aggresively for here and Wales and i am sure he will suprise a few people. He has served his apprenticeship now for the real thing.

He will surprise a few people = he will crash? :rolleyes:

N.O.T
no problems for Loeb he just driving to avoid any surprises....

Rally Hokkaido
Seb says, 'no problems' in SS1 & 2

jonkka
31st October 2008, 00:51
Rautenbach had a short rally...

Raini
31st October 2008, 00:54
Rautenbach had a short rally...

what happened?

jonkka
31st October 2008, 00:55
what happened?

Don't know, no time for him after 1st split...

Andrey
31st October 2008, 01:00
Fantastic time for Novikov on SS1!!!

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 01:03
Fantastic time for Novikov on SS1!!!

Wow! He's hot, hope he can keep it together for 3 days.

Raini
31st October 2008, 01:08
unfortunately no stage win for novikov...it for BRYNILDSEN, but i'm very happy about Novikov as well...

And let's hope that this time he will manage to finish... :)

ZequeArgentina
31st October 2008, 01:10
Suzukis are doing quite well in the first 2 stages.
Nice surprised.

Also Evo X is already on the front times in PWRC.
Better born than the N14 Subaru.

Micke_VOC
31st October 2008, 01:15
Good speed from PG...

Andrey
31st October 2008, 01:18
Finally, Brynildsen, Novikov and... Kumar in top 3 PCWRC on SS1! Very interesting :)

ZequeArgentina
31st October 2008, 01:22
And Ketomaa (not taking PWRC points in this round) is faster than them all in SS1

Andrey
31st October 2008, 01:40
Novikov made it on SS2 :) But Brynildsen still first. Good beginning for both young guys!

RS
31st October 2008, 05:44

Ahhhh, so it's just he hasn't been allowed to drive fast for the past 3 years?

In all fairness though (as Malcolm might say) he is doing a bit better here in Japan, but he did well at the end of last year then went slow again.

jonkka
31st October 2008, 05:46
Matt is about to lose two places...

WRC1
31st October 2008, 05:55
Dudu is doing a great job till now!

hope he stays on the road!

Koppomsbo
31st October 2008, 06:06
Sordo out on SS6?

jonkka
31st October 2008, 06:10
Looks that way, yes.

Zes
31st October 2008, 06:17
Duval stopped also.

John V
31st October 2008, 06:18
Dudu is doing a great job till now!

hope he stays on the road!

Hmm, looks he went off, hope nothing serious.

jonkka
31st October 2008, 06:19
Looks like results froze...

WRC1
31st October 2008, 06:21
Hmm, looks he went off, hope nothing serious.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

damn...hope nothing serious.

John V
31st October 2008, 06:22
Looks like results froze...
Yes, personally I think the reason is Francois ... :(

jonkka
31st October 2008, 06:24
So you mean stage has been stopped?

jonkka
31st October 2008, 06:25
If so, that Stobart is bad luck...

Koppomsbo
31st October 2008, 06:27
Yes, personally I think the reason is Francois ... :(

Have the same feeling...

curry
31st October 2008, 06:30
Hope i'm wrong, but I have bad feeling about this. Radio off the air for a long time can't be good. Its obvious the stage has been stopped.

Koppomsbo
31st October 2008, 06:33
My SMS service says Both Sordo and Duval stopped in stage, but nothing more

White Sauron
31st October 2008, 06:33
Hope i'm wrong, but I have bad feeling about this. Radio off the air for a long time can't be good. Its obvious the stage has been stopped.

it wasn't - PWRC crews kept on driving after Dudu had stopped.

MikeD
31st October 2008, 06:34
Ohhh no, not Duval :( Hope is not serious...

Brother John
31st October 2008, 06:34
No news on the radio, even no real music! This does me think of the accident with Markko Märtin. I hope that nothing seriously wrong has happened . :(

John V
31st October 2008, 06:35
So you mean stage has been stopped?
I think, everything seem stage is cancelled. I'm trying to get some info, but it's pretty hard to get something from this race.

Koppomsbo
31st October 2008, 06:36
No news on the radio, even no real music! This does me think of the accident with Markko Märtin. I hope that nothing seriously wrong has happened . :(

This acctualy crossed my mind aswell :(

curry
31st October 2008, 06:37
it wasn't - PWRC crews kept on driving after Dudu had stopped.

Thats cool, I was only going off the fact that no times have been posted after Henning. I just 'assumed' the road was closed. So now I am wondering why the PWRC are still driving but not M Wilson or the two Suziki's - did they stop to help? Or has the WRC website stopped posting results?

Koppomsbo
31st October 2008, 06:39
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3086&desc=FLASH:%20SS6%20stopped%20after%20crash%20for% 20Duval

not much of info but

curry
31st October 2008, 06:44
Duval out of car. Medical services for co-driver who is conscious

White Sauron
31st October 2008, 06:44
Thats cool, I was only going off the fact that no times have been posted after Henning. I just 'assumed' the road was closed. So now I am wondering why the PWRC are still driving but not M Wilson or the two Suziki's - did they stop to help? Or has the WRC website stopped posting results?

Sorry, looked at the wrong page.

wwbroe
31st October 2008, 06:56
So, no more news about condition of both drivers? :(

Brother John
31st October 2008, 06:59
So, no more news about condition of both drivers? :(

Co driver is underway to the hospital.

wwbroe
31st October 2008, 06:59
Looks like Duval is ok, Pivato has been transported to hospital, but is conscious, hopefully everything ok for him as well.

Koppomsbo
31st October 2008, 07:20
A spokesman for the Ford team confirmed that Patrick Pivato was injured in the accident and is being taken to hospital by ambulance. He is conscious, but no further details have been released. Francois Duval is not though to be injured but is going to hospital for precautionary checks.

From WRC.com

Salist
31st October 2008, 07:37
Good Morning...

White Sauron
31st October 2008, 07:41
Ouh... SS8 cancelled also...

René
31st October 2008, 07:49
Dani Sordo also stopped in the stage 6 further to a mechanical problem …

Koppomsbo
31st October 2008, 07:56
Ouh... SS8 cancelled also...

Not beacause of the accident i hope?? :s

Tom206wrc
31st October 2008, 08:03
Following stages cancelled(SS7 and 8) :mark:

Tomi
31st October 2008, 08:06
Following stages cancelled(SS7 and 8) :mark:

ss8 was cancelled before the rally already

grugsticles
31st October 2008, 08:07
Great, another rally where there are a small hand full of cars on the 'lead lap' per say. Sooo many retirements, it must be pretty tricky.

Also, Im sad to hear about Duval. Not only the acciudent side of things and the health of his co-driver, but more so for his chances of getting a good points haul in a bid for a 2009 drive.

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 08:16

That was SS7 (SS3), actually. What is the official reason for SS8 cancellation?

ttiirika
31st October 2008, 08:16

Before the rally SS 3 / 7 were cancelled. Now also SS 8 is cancelled due to cancellation of SS 6 (Duval's crash). See: http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3093&desc=Rally%20Japan%20SS8%20cancelled

AndyRAC
31st October 2008, 08:21
Hope everybody is okay.

This event is hardly a great advert for the WRC, though is it??
Cancelled stages for snow, too many Superspecials, Shakedown in a dome.....

spudrsca
31st October 2008, 09:00
Great, another rally where there are a small hand full of cars on the 'lead lap' per say. Sooo many retirements, it must be pretty tricky.

Also, Im sad to hear about Duval. Not only the acciudent side of things and the health of his co-driver, but more so for his chances of getting a good points haul in a bid for a 2009 drive.

I'm also sad but at least he tried his best to help Hirvonen as I guess he was told to do all he could to be in front of Loeb as long as he can.

SubaruNorway
31st October 2008, 09:01
Eyvind Brynildsen's co driver, Denis Giraudet, went with the chopper, so he will be getting the same time as the best group N car on the SSS

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 09:38
Trouble at SS9. Seb and Daniel are not happy and have refused to leave the Time Control

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 09:39
Seb has missed his allotted start with Mikko at SS10.
He says that the official will not return the timecard to Daniel???

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 09:41
More drama.. Mikko punctured on SS9 but managed to change the tyre in the 2 mins before he started SS10!

MikeD
31st October 2008, 09:42
Seb has missed his allotted start with Mikko at SS10.
He says that the official will not return the timecard to Daniel???

Apparantly none of the marshals speak english... and they forget to hand out the time-card. That's just too f*cking pathetic!

MikeD
31st October 2008, 09:45
Now they have given JML the wrong time-card so that he has started at the wrong time. Jesus christ, what a circus...

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 09:45
Crazy situation! Now, Jarri-Matti was given an incorrect start time and ran SS10 by himself. Where's Chris Atkinson. Colin Clarke, 'it's chaos here! it's chaos!'

Daniel
31st October 2008, 09:48
What a ****ing circus.

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 09:51
Now four cars on the SSS, together!

TMorel
31st October 2008, 09:51
I'd heard rumors it was all going to pot out there but didn't believe it so came here to see what was really happening, and it sounds like it's a bloomin circus!

[fingers crossed] for Pivato and I'm relieved to see that it looks like Denis was a passenger and not a patient.

MikeD
31st October 2008, 09:52
Now I think they send out two cars, while two other were still running on the "circuit". They should really cancel this....

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 09:53
Now four cars on the SSS, together!

Henning was waiting to come off after Petter following their run and moved about four seconds before P-G came through, not good!

Daniel
31st October 2008, 09:56
Now I think they send out two cars, while two other were still running on the "circuit". They should really cancel this....
and never come back. Such mistakes are unforgivable.

No disrespect to any Japanese people on here but English is the international language of rallying and there should be someone at each point who can speak fluent english. Then there is sending 4 cars out on an SSS which is just unforgivable. The FIA's tyre rules are just the icing on the cake for me....

John V
Yes, I'm looking forward how they (stewards) will resolve this situation, because this is really SSS = SuperStupidStage. :mad:

Micke_VOC
what a circus....

Brother John
31st October 2008, 09:59
:rotflmao: The winner of 2008 become IRC. I hope the F.I.A. will not too much interfere itself with that in the future. :s mokin:

ttiirika
31st October 2008, 09:59
What kind of ****ing idiot wants to have these SSS's (= Super S**t Stages)??!! Less than two years ago there was circus in Argentina and now this.

I was spectating SSS in Jyväskylä some years ago. I was there maybe 30 minutes and had enough for my lifetime. Who needs this kind of stages anyway? Why the hell they keep organising them? This has nothing to do with rally!! Everything has gone wrong now in Japan, and FIA wants to have this ridiculous recycling system and more unexperienced organisers in World Rally Championships. All this does not make any sense and suits therefore perfectly in FIA's style. I am really losing my faith in this "sport".

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 10:00
and never come back. Such mistakes are unforgivable.

No disrespect to any Japanese people on here but English is the international language of rallying and there should be someone at each point who can speak fluent english. Then there is sending 4 cars out on an SSS which is just unforgivable. The FIA's tyre rules are just the icing on the cake for me....

No offence taken. There were always two English speakers at every Rally Japan SS in the past, but it seems the wheels have really fallen off at the Dome, tonight. Disappointed.

tmx
31st October 2008, 10:08
Now I think they send out two cars, while two other were still running on the "circuit". They should really cancel this.... Haha, LOL of the day for me.

Well atleast I thoroughly enjoyed the japan rally last year and the stages were amazing so I was really looking forward to this one, didn't think they would mess up so badly this time, I was having some high hope with 29 total stages planned to run.

What kind of ****ing idiot wants to have these SSS's (= Super S**t Stages)??!! Less than two years ago there was circus in Argentina and now this.
It's all about promotion and running a car that carries the sponsor logos. It's one of the main reason why I think the wrc rallies are still 3 days, with the length of a rally currently it could be fit in one and half day.

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 10:14
J-M's time from SS9 was wrong. It should have one minute added to it. It hasn't been corrected yet.
The times for SS9 and SS10 will probably be annulled, anyway. When interviewed, Chris Atkinson said, 'We will just give the spectators a show now and let the Stewards sort out the times later!'

grugsticles
31st October 2008, 10:18
J-M's time from SS9 was wrong. It should have one minute added to it. It hasn't been corrected yet.
The times for SS9 and SS10 will probably be annulled, anyway. When interviewed, Chris Atkinson said, 'We will just give the spectators a show now and let the Stewards sort out the times later!'
Well, holly crap. Do we really expect the stewards to be able to clean up this mess?
I for one am not confident.

John V
31st October 2008, 10:21
Sorry, but this remind me situation from last round Italian Trofeo Terra (gravel championship) few years ago, when the local marshals (Sardinia) left last stages, because "nobody explained, that rally can run in darkness also". The drivers were completelly pis..d-off and close to boxing fight with rally organisers at the final press conference ...

WRC1
31st October 2008, 10:23
probably there will be a few Harakiri´s today arround Sapporo ;o)

who need´s this circus?? unbelivable, hopfully no major accident will happen, this would be the last the sport needs...

irc: the future of rallying,

wrc: the clowns of rallying

reg

wrc1

Brother John
31st October 2008, 10:24
This would be the perfeckt moment for Ford and Citroën to show the F.I.A. what they think about the future!
To strike or drive like tourist tomorrow. But they probably do not have the guts because it concerns MONEY. :p : :s mokin:

pino
31st October 2008, 10:28
Poor WRC, never thought it could became as it's now :(

ttiirika
31st October 2008, 10:35
This would be the perfeckt moment for Ford and Citroën to show the F.I.A. what they think about the future!
To strike or drive like tourist tomorrow. But they probably do not have the guts because it concerns MONEY. :p : :s mokin:

Or quit the whole thing. I must say that even though I really love rally (and loved it some years ago even much more), if I was big boss of some car manufacturer I wouldn't even consider participating WRC at the moment. Why use money to make yourself look like a clown?

Brother John
31st October 2008, 10:37
Poor WRC, never thought it could became as it's now :(

We can for 2009 or the future of WRC still expects much more bad news I.M.O. :confused:

grugsticles
31st October 2008, 10:53
How come Atkinson lost time? Did he go off earlier? Or is it just part of the timing glitch?

Lousada
31st October 2008, 10:54
Apparently Duval collected a concrete obstacle after a long tarmac straight. Pivato has injuries to his pelvis and his leg.
http://sport.turbomagazine.be/index.php?pg=news&id=878

AndyRAC
31st October 2008, 11:02
Personally, I think it's quite apt. Somes up the state of the sport - a shambles!!

Where do you start? Cancelled stages due to snow, far too many Superspecials, Why so many?? Shambolic organisation, etc

Rally du Valais managed proper Live TV stages, so why do we still have these stupid Superspecials??

Larry_Japan
31st October 2008, 11:02
Pivato is undergoing surgery to re-align fractured pelvis, to prevent internal bleeding. Also has broken tibia.

Brother John
31st October 2008, 11:05
Personally, I think it's quite apt. Somes up the state of the sport - a shambles!!

Where do you start? Cancelled stages due to snow, far too many Superspecials, Why so many?? Shambolic organisation, etc

Rally du Valais managed proper Live TV stages, so why do we still have these stupid Superspecials??

You must ask the F.I.A.these questions! :dozey:

GigiGalliNo1
31st October 2008, 11:53
Anyone have a link to WRR? my wrc radio don't work

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 11:57
They stopped broadcasting today, Matt.
Colin was getting too wet outside the SSS and Becks was getting too confused
over what was happening inside ;-)

Brother John
31st October 2008, 11:59
Anyone have a link to WRR? my wrc radio don't work

Those sleeps now already :D ;)

GigiGalliNo1
31st October 2008, 12:02
They stopped broadcasting today, Matt.
Colin was getting too wet outside the SSS and Becks was getting too confused
over what was happening inside ;-)

have they really?!?!

ShiftingGears
31st October 2008, 12:25
Ofuronihaerimasukagojira!

Awful, really. This is what you get when you have a body governing the WRC, while not actually caring about the health of the WRC.

White Sauron
31st October 2008, 12:29
Hirvonen is really good in such muddy conditions... And another pleasant thing for me is that once again he's faster than his so-called "geniously fast" teammate.

Daniel
31st October 2008, 12:39
This is what leaves a nagging doubt in my mind about Loeb, in all probability he will set the record in winning 5 drivers championships, but he complained in Argentina and at other times this year about not having 'perfect choice tyres'. Somehow I dont see Tommi, Juha, Marcus and Colin taking this stance, go back further and can you see Ari and Pentti making such comments? - And that is why I think Loeb owes his wins to the perfection of Citroen and the total package. I'd like to see him drag a 2wd drive car to the finish of a Safari (showing my age with comments like that) Loeb is a perfect driver in a perfect and sanitised world.

I'd like to bring some of the posts in the earlier part of this thread up again.

Tommi, Juha, Ari, Pentti and the rest DIDN'T to my knowledge have control tyres. They could all choose exactly what tyres they wanted and exactly what cuts they wanted. This has always been the way rallying has been done. Now Sebastien has been put a situation where this is not the case and he doesn't like it. HE DOESN'T LIKE IT. In other words he wants it to go back to the times where you picked your tyres moments before you left service for the stages and you dealt with the conditions rather than having stages cancelled and co-drivers seriously injured. Loeb doesn't want things to be sanitised like they are now. He wants things to be like they were back when Petter snatched victory from him on the last couple of stages of Rally Australia in 2003 in difficult conditions.

So in summary to say Seb wants things to be different to how they've always been is wrong. So very wrong. It's the also rans like Henning who are saying this is great because they've got very little to lose.

these modern drivers are spoilt, and I'm sure in that part on Japan they have safety vehicles that are capable of handling the snow.

As someone else has pointed out tyres stop working at a certain temperature. I have summer tyres on my car and recently when I was driving when it was just above freezing with no ice on the road and you could feel that the front tyres just didn't have the same amount of grip as they do when it's 20 degrees outside and they're practically brand new brand name tyres with correct pressures. It wasn't horrible to drive but you could feel that the car was nowhere near as grippy as normal

Racing/rally tyres have a comparatively small operating window. I know I can jump in my car when it's 5 degrees or 50 degrees outside and as long as my pressures are OK then the car will get quite a good amount of grip. With competition tyres this is simply not true as we say back 3 or 4 years ago in New Zealand where the Pirelli's were disintegrating because it was about 5 degrees too warm. A control tyre is simply not acceptable in a championship like the WRC where the conditions are so infinitely variable.

One wonder whether Stig was forced to use an unsuitable tyre for the conditions or whether he was able to go and use tyres which suited the conditions better and that was why he did so well in such a low powered fwd car ;)

Yes this is a joke. This is ridiculous, the conditions are for everyone the same and we also drive to the job if there is a couple centimetre snow in the morning. If Mr. perfekt (Loeb)thinks this way concerning rally, how can he be then the best rally driver that we ever saw?

So who is right now Brother John?

There's been a serious accident on what were very slippery stages with tyres which were not ideal. It's not Mr Perfect who had the crash, he's been able to keep his car in 3rd place and is set to take the title here as the perfect driver would do. But no it's Duval who had the accident.

wtf????!!!!

sweden 2008 was also a gravel rally with parts of snow and ice and there was no problem for most of the drivers, so wheres exactly the problem in japan??

As I said above 20 years ago they got to choose what tyres they want. Loeb is angry at the dumb rules, not the fact that rallying takes place in different conditions.

People will come out and say I'm some crazy Loeb fan but really I'm not a Loeb fan, I'm a fan of rallying and what we've seen this season isn't bloody rallying.

Pardon the pun but people need to get a grip and realise that the drivers aren't being "girls" and they don't mind driving in difficult conditions as long as they have proper tyres.

Lousada
31st October 2008, 13:17
I don't think it's only Loeb who feels this way. Loeb has to say it because he is the most experienced and accomplished driver. It's about the only driver the media, the fans and the officials will take notice of. If Rautenbach or the Ice-cream-team had said the same, it would not even be news. And then, nothing would have been done.

Ghostwalker
31st October 2008, 13:32
I don't think it's only Loeb who feels this way. Loeb has to say it because he is the most experienced and accomplished driver. It's about the only driver the media, the fans and the officials will take notice of. If Rautenbach or the Ice-cream-team had said the same, it would not even be news. And then, nothing would have been done.

I think so too or Loeb and Petter i would say.

DonJippo
31st October 2008, 14:20
Picture of Duval's car.

http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/mtv3/urheilu/ralli/2008/589273.jpg

DonJippo
31st October 2008, 14:22
Other one

http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/mtv3/urheilu/ralli/2008/589290.jpg

Brother John
31st October 2008, 14:36
So who is right now Brother John?

There's been a serious accident on what were very slippery stages with tyres which were not ideal. It's not Mr Perfect who had the crash, he's been able to keep his car in 3rd place and is set to take the title here as the perfect driver would do. But no it's Duval who had the accident.

I´m right to i think, they have to use rallycars and no race cars. :D ;)

Daniel
31st October 2008, 14:40
I´m right to i think, they have to use rallycars and no race cars. :D ;)
Am I right in thinking Loeb has 2 legs, not 4? Brown hair, not blue hair? He's French, not an Afghan?

Daniel
31st October 2008, 14:41
Picture of Duval's car.

Wow. The shell has held up very well around the top and by the look of it the side as well.

Corny
31st October 2008, 14:46
Picture of Duval's car.

It seems that the side impacts of these cars have not really improved on safety ground, since the tragic accident of Michael Park...

Brother John
31st October 2008, 14:47
Am I right in thinking Loeb has 2 legs, not 4? Brown hair, not blue hair? He's French, not an Afghan?

No you are not right because your name is Daniel! :rotflmao: I´m jokin ;) :andrea: and you are a Loeb fan.

Daniel
31st October 2008, 14:48
It seems that the side impacts of these cars have not really improved on safety ground, since the tragic accident of Michael Park...
Well I have pics of the 307 from Rally GB and it looked far worse than that, for understandable reasons I won't of course post them on this forum but it looked a lot nastier than that.

domaza
31st October 2008, 14:57
Well I have pics of the 307 from Rally GB and it looked far worse than that, for understandable reasons I won't of course post them on this forum but it looked a lot nastier than that.

Please remember, that the co-driver was cut out, so the original situation could have been a lot different.

John V
31st October 2008, 15:49
Please remember, that the co-driver was cut out, so the original situation could have been a lot different.
Exactly, and there's also no kevlar plate on picture yet of course. This thing is really usefull, as absorbing some energy and helping to avoid the frame tubes cut the body when rollcage ripped off. Question is, if there is any other possibility to manage more safety during side impact. Still don't forget, that doors have to be used to sit in/out and if I compare rally cars I had chance to run or test, there is BIG rollcage difference between now and 10 years ago ;) In 1999 on 2WD gr. A car we smashed into concrete telegraph pole, in 80 km/h only. Thanx to God, it was front impact and we escaped from this only with some bruised wounds, ribs and neck, but can't imagine this as side impact! Simpliest thing - just try to sit into 10 yrs old Kit Car and new S1600 or old gr. A 4WD car and new WRC, nothing else. New rollcages more complicated, but more safe.

c4
31st October 2008, 16:51
Photos and article Day 1
http://rallybuzz.stagetimes.com/rally-japan-day-one-2008/

Tomi
31st October 2008, 17:27

I was spectating SSS in Jyväskylä some years ago. I was there maybe 30 minutes and had enough for my lifetime. Who needs this kind of stages anyway? Why the hell they keep organising them? This has nothing to do with rally!! Everything has gone wrong now in Japan, and FIA wants to have this ridiculous recycling system and more unexperienced organisers in World Rally Championships. All this does not make any sense and suits therefore perfectly in FIA's style. I am really losing my faith in this "sport".

Agree 100%

alexlake
31st October 2008, 18:19
Picture of Duval's car.

that is a bad impact :eek:

RS
31st October 2008, 19:14
It's quite amusing watching these boards and seeing how quickly the thread for each WRC event can turn into a "What a farce/WRC hits a new low" discussion.

This has been a really terrible year for WRC. Bad a entry lists, bad rules, big time gaps in the results, stupid tactics and team orders..

I am really beginning to think like Daniel. All the manufacturers should just quit, give the FIA a big kick up the arse and start again.

I can't see any sense in Ford continuing whilst there is no stability in the rules, no promoter till 2010...

There does seem to be the suggestion that some more M2 teams might join the 'party' next year but I'll believe it when I see it.

Salist
31st October 2008, 20:08
This is very hard accident...

Picture of Duval's car.

J4MIE
31st October 2008, 20:55
Unbelievable!!! :s

ste898
31st October 2008, 21:00
Duval at his best....crashed out!!

Hope his co-driver makes a full recovery though not nice too see injuries..

JRodrigues
31st October 2008, 21:24
Why is that almost every bad accident happens in a Focus?? :confused:

jbmarcus21
31st October 2008, 21:52
Duval crash : http://nettitv.mtv3.fi/maksuttomat/index.shtml/maksuttomat/ralli/ralli?148947#148947

In Video 30 seconds..

cut the b.s.
31st October 2008, 22:02
Why is that almost every bad accident happens in a Focus?? :confused:

count the wrc entrys and do the maths...

traxx
31st October 2008, 22:21
Duval crash : http://nettitv.mtv3.fi/maksuttomat/index.shtml/maksuttomat/ralli/ralli?148947#148947

In Video 30 seconds..

Or here :
http://wrc.is.free.fr/posts/2008/10/31/820-sortie-de-duval-pivato-en-images

Daniel
31st October 2008, 22:32

In Video 30 seconds..
horrible accident....

jbmarcus21
31st October 2008, 22:36
horrible accident....

Hello Daniel .. Where do you come from in South Africa.. I was there last month.. ;)

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 23:16
Good morning everyone!
SS11 starts in 7 minutes.
The weather should be fine and sunny today, though there was a lot of rain last night. Day 2 & 3 stages are nearer the coast and mostly flat so temp should be warmer. It is about 5 degrees, now.

KKS
31st October 2008, 23:22
Stage 11 should start right now?

Raini
31st October 2008, 23:33
Stage 11 should start right now?

Fastest are through already...

ZequeArgentina
31st October 2008, 23:34
What to say about mat Wilson? he is doing quite better thn usual!

jonkka
31st October 2008, 23:38
It's already stage 11 and they've done 59,97 kilometers of stages so far... :eek:

jonkka
31st October 2008, 23:41
Stage win for P-G... Suzuki's first scratch...

pucky54
31st October 2008, 23:43
nope...Sordo faster unfortunately ;)

noel157
31st October 2008, 23:49
Missed the win by 1.5 secs.

Where's gravel voice today?

Rally Hokkaido
31st October 2008, 23:52
Missed the win by 1.5 secs.

Where's gravel voice today?

He's still drying out from last night outside the Dome SSS. lol.

xavier
1st November 2008, 00:01
I know the stage is short, but it seems running order has much more importance than i though it would.

Rally Hokkaido
1st November 2008, 00:17
I know the stage is short, but it seems running order has much more importance than i though it would.

Yes, some drivers reported that a few corners are already rutted and this short stage (it is actually a rallysprint course) will be used four times....

jonkka
1st November 2008, 00:19
no splitsies?

MikeD
1st November 2008, 00:23
Loeb on his way to second place....

Raini
1st November 2008, 00:23
no splitsies?

I see splits

jonkka
1st November 2008, 00:25
I see splits

Me too, now...

MikeD
1st November 2008, 00:25
Loeb??? no 3rd split

Rally Hokkaido
1st November 2008, 00:27
no 3rd split for Seb?? OK he has a 4th one - Mikko +2.7

xavier
1st November 2008, 00:32
Good 4th split for Petter... Wilson back to his usual....

MikeD
1st November 2008, 00:35
Petter is really quick. He could win the stage...