PDA

View Full Version : Non-fans of Lewis and Massa - Who should win the championship?

CaptainRaiden
12th October 2008, 11:47
This is a question for people who aren't necessarily fans of either Lewis Hamilton or Felipe Massa. More like unbiased or neutral fans (or who do not care about either of them :p )

With 2 more races to go, who would you like/prefer to see become the champion this year? Of course, Kubica is still in as well with a mathematical chance, but by the next race, that chance could disappear, and so then the title would be decided in Interlagos between Massa and Hamilton, of course assuming that both of them finish in points in Shanghai.

So, then who would you rather see win? Hamilton or Massa?

I wanna see Hamilton win, but I don't know why. :erm:

Caroline
12th October 2008, 11:50
Massa. Don't know why.

christophulus
12th October 2008, 11:54
I'd love to see Kubica win, just because no one would expect it! On a more serious note, I'd go for Hamilton. Neither he nor Massa has been consistently brilliant this year, but I personally believe Hamilton has done a better job.

Oh, and before anyone accuses me of bias, I'm actually a Williams fan :) Massa seems like a perfectly nice bloke, and whoever wins the championship in the end, as long as it's done fairly, I'll have no complaints

CaptainRaiden
12th October 2008, 11:56
Massa. Don't know why.

I know, it's hard to point in one direction as to why. To me, Massa seemed a bit too whiny and over the top, but then so is Lewis.

I guess I want Hamilton to win, because that would create a sort of a history (like I would care) but still. :D

ojciec dyrektor
12th October 2008, 11:59
In my opinion Kubica should be WDC. And not because he's my compatriot, but because Massa is poor driver and Hamilton thinks he's king of the world.

I wish Raikkonen will be back on form next season and Kubica and Alonso will have competitive cars to fight for WDC.

ShiftingGears
12th October 2008, 12:03
Kubica.

CaptainRaiden
12th October 2008, 12:08
In my opinion Kubica should be WDC. And not because he's my compatriot, but because Massa is poor driver and Hamilton thinks he's king of the world.

I wish Raikkonen will be back on form next season and Kubica and Alonso will have competitive cars to fight for WDC.

Really, if I was given a choice between the three, Kubica would be my choice 100% hands down. I actually am a fan of Kubica. I would love for an outsider to win.

But I guess I said Lewis and Massa because both of them are the kind of guys that people probably find difficult to like, except maybe some diehard fanboys on this forum.

ojciec dyrektor
12th October 2008, 12:16
Really, if I was given a choice between the three, Kubica would be my choice 100% hands down. I actually am a fan of Kubica. I would love for an outsider to win.

But I guess I said Lewis and Massa because both of them are the kind of guys that people probably find difficult to like, except maybe some diehard fanboys on this forum.

I choose Hamilton. At least he has skills. I'm not fan of drivers like Ralf Schumacher. F1 is not about winning from pole position.

ShiftingGears
12th October 2008, 12:23
To add on my point - I'd rather see a consistent driver in a lesser car beat Massa and Hamilton, who are more erratic in the faster cars.
12 points behind in the WDC in what has been, on average, the 3rd best car on the grid is remarkable.

christophulus
12th October 2008, 12:29
12 points behind in the WDC in what has been, on average, the 3rd best car on the grid is remarkable.

Agreed, but it's mostly due to McLaren and Ferrari having "misfortunes" of various types. Don't get me wrong, Kubica's done a fantastic job this year and I'd love him to win the title, but for all his ability and consistency he's had his fair share of luck.

BTCC Fan#1
12th October 2008, 12:34
Kubica, the only driver who hasn't made silly mistakes this year, and consistently hauled that BMW around to results it probably shouldn't have got on pure pace.

I also feel it's a shame Alonso didn't have the equipment or oppourtunities earlier in the season, he's also driven consistently better than the title contenders.

Nikki Katz
12th October 2008, 14:09
Hamilton I guess because it's been so long since McLaren have won a title. I hope he doesn't ever win Schumacher amounts of titles though.

markabilly
12th October 2008, 15:38
My vote goes to the one driver that SHOULD win the WDC this year:

Scottie not Speed

(but as I said last year, if beemer really wants a wdc in their pocket, they needed to hire FA--see who won the last two races in a car that does not yet match the Beemers----- but no, they stayed with Nicky da Quickie and the Pollster...well maybe both Massa and Sir Lord Hamster of the LouderMouth, will crash out in the next two races and hand it all to the Kube........but methinks not

Robinho
12th October 2008, 18:29
i am a hamilton fan in this fight, but right now, after the way both Massa and Hamilton have driven on occasions this year i would rather Kubica won, what a pity BMW gave up on this year so early

Dave B
12th October 2008, 18:33
(but as I said last year, if beemer really wants a wdc in their pocket, they needed to hire FA--see who won the last two races in a car that does not yet match the Beemers----- but no, they stayed with Nicky da Quickie and the Pollster...well maybe both Massa and Sir Lord Hamster of the LouderMouth, will crash out in the next two races and hand it all to the Kube........but methinks not
I think Kubica has shown that given a competitive car he's more than capable of fighting for the championship.

BMW's mistake (if they've made one, and next year will tell) is not in their choice of drivers, it's abandoning development of the 2008 car too early.

Corny
12th October 2008, 18:33
Massa..

jens
12th October 2008, 18:34
How would you define a "non-fan"? I don't consider either Lewis or Felipe at the sharp end of my favourites list, but I like both of them and in this way am not quite neutral. Well, generally it's hard to say who I'd prefer to see winning the title.

Hamilton after a disastrous end of 2007 and a difficult start into 2008 managed to make a great comeback and some historic drives, but... is still making mistakes. If he manages to win regardless, it would create a great story: despite all the setbacks a championship title.

Massa is kinda similar. A perennially underrated driver, who in the past was never expected to become a WDC-contender. Who was expected to struggle without TC and had a terrible start into the season after which he was written off, but has made an unexpected and amazing comeback and turnaround. This would be a fantastic story too. Besides if he clinched the WDC in front of his home crowd, it would be a great feeling. Brazilian crowd is maybe the most enthusiastic of all - their voice can be heard through TV!

So who should win? The one, who scores most points. :)
Talking about Kubica. He has been driving very well and if he wins the title, it would be one of the most remarkable titles in the history I think, won in the 3rd best car (how often has that happened?). But I wouldn't say that he is definetely deserving, because F1 is after all a team sport and I think fans are a bit exaggerating driver's role and "worth" to be a winner.. Yes, the name is Drivers Championship, but in fact the final standings are drawn up by the whole effort of the team. And if Kubica doesn't win, it shows that the car didn't deserve to win the title. The title goes to the right package - the best combination of driver, car and team. If there is a weak link in the whole package, which precludes winning, then they don't deserve to win. As simple as that.

pettersolberg29
12th October 2008, 19:30
Massa. Lewis will definately win it one day in the future, Massa may never get another real chance - especially with Alonso's resurgence, Kubica and Vettel appearing, and Lewis/Kimi still 'up there'. Even Kova and Heidfeld have a chance next year with the new rules.

F1boat
12th October 2008, 21:06
Massa - even if I like Kubica. In my opinion, however, all three contenders are worthy of world championship. But I will be happy for Felipe :)

Sleeper
12th October 2008, 21:33
Kubica, he's driven the best of anybody this year. Failing that, Hamilton as he's put n some really impressive drives this year as well as few mistakes, and Massa hasnt really put in any stunning race performances.

jeffmr2
12th October 2008, 23:47
IMO neither Massa or Lewis seem worthy to be crowned champion,maybe this year they should only award constructors title.

ShiftingGears
13th October 2008, 00:07
Agreed, but it's mostly due to McLaren and Ferrari having "misfortunes" of various types. Don't get me wrong, Kubica's done a fantastic job this year and I'd love him to win the title, but for all his ability and consistency he's had his fair share of luck.

True, but he hasn't been clowning around like Lewis and Massa, he's just done his job while Massa and Lewis make themselves look like morons, eg spinning off in various races, flat spotting tyres down to the canvas, poor spacial judgement, driving into people in the pitlane, anonymously poor grands prix(eg Massa at Canada).

markabilly
13th October 2008, 01:06
I think Kubica has shown that given a competitive car he's more than capable of fighting for the championship.

BMW's mistake (if they've made one, and next year will tell) is not in their choice of drivers, it's abandoning development of the 2008 car too early.

Many of the drivers are capable of fighting given the right equipment, but it takes a special driver to fight and develope the car. Giving up too quickly is a sign of their mistake in drivers.

No there is only one driver who has proven WDC skills on the market and only a fool would pass him by, unless they already have a Kimi or Hamilton (or perhaps a Vettel??)

Mjfan12
13th October 2008, 02:53
Im a huge Ferrari fan, so Massa, BUT I really don;t like him as a driver since he is just too inconsistant.

Storm
13th October 2008, 07:00
I think Lewis had it much easier this year (not doubting his ability!) (but his team-mate was no threat and defending champ is snoozing )
Massa had 2 tough races to begin the year and has had some bad luck (like Singapore) but has shown some fire in coming back.
Of course now he has had terrible races like Silverstone and mistakes like Fuji too...so I would rather that he win the title but I think Hamilton will do it (inspite of being in danger of being called a choker - 2nd year in a row!)