PDA

View Full Version : MY thrilling Petit Le Mans finish!

tannat
5th October 2008, 09:21
So after the actual Petit Le Mans took place yesterday, I was inspired and loaded "Le Mans 24 Hours" into the PS2 for the 100 minute game. I chose the McLaren F1 LM, and qualified second and quickly assumed the lead, and lapped the field by lap 42 ( approximately 60 minutes into the game). As finishing in first place seemed like a given I began experimenting with different tires and setups, lapping much slower than necessary, but never having my lead drop below the 30 second mark.

The game clock (compressed time remember-a 100 minute run, not ten hours) was approaching 10 pm (what I assumed to be the stopping time of the race) and I assumed the finish was near. Having built my lead back up to 1 lap I took a pit stop as the tires were squirrely, but took on the minimum fuel in expectation of a final lap signal very soon.

10:00 pm-no final lap signal, no checkered flag ! :(

I was low on fuel, and had about 13 seconds in hand to second place (a Mercedes CLK-GTR). Immediately realizing what was about too happen I started turning demon laps (mid to low 1:07s) knowing I would have to take a splash and dash before the checker-whenever it might come! After about 4-5 laps my lead returned to the mid twenties and I dove into the pits.

As the fuel was pumped I watched in horror as the CLKs icon went from red (on the same lap) to an arrow (indicating the leader) and counted the seconds as it crossed the pit exit. I get back on the track and am told the gap is seven seconds!

I crank in two demon laps, and am comforted by a report of a 3+ second gap. I am a bit to exuberant with my cornering, and goof it up big time going onto the back straight-5+ second gap again!

Another lap later and with the help of traffic it is down to three seconds. Across the start finish and it is one second, and I feel relieved. I pass between th esses and the short straight down the hill to turn 6 (I think). Onto the back straight and th final lap signal is given!!!!!!

Despite some traffic at the end of the lap I hold on to win.

Lessons learned:
"It ain't over til it's over"
"When racing a timed race it is best to know the time"

Granted-the world would not end had I lost, but you unlock cars b winning these races,and as everyone probably knows my gaming time is quite precious.

By the way, my fastest lap was .5 seconds faster than the fastest lap of the actual Petit Le Mans :D

JTLarsen
5th October 2008, 09:37
Great report! :D

woody2goody
5th October 2008, 22:17
I've done that before in an F1 race, slowed down before the finish line only to realise there was another lap left. I lost some points and have never done that again!

Well done for your win though, 100 mins is a good old slog :)

johnny shell
6th October 2008, 16:34
how in the world did YOU have time for that?

if I had time for that it would be because I stayed up until 2 or 3 in the morning playing games after the wife & kids were asleep :D

tannat
6th October 2008, 16:39
how in the world did YOU have time for that?

if I had time for that it would be because I stayed up until 2 or 3 in the morning playing games after the wife & kids were asleep :D

Completed the race st 3:05 am, the report at 3:30 am :laugh: