PDA

View Full Version : Where I would have the USGP

Birdman5700
4th October 2008, 20:57
After watching the Singapore GP last I thought where in the US would be a good place for a GP. Now I live 10 miles from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and would love for it to come back. But I'm not sure Tony George is willing to put up the 30+ million Berrnie wanted.

I've hear he wanted one in Las Vegas on the Strip. But I think a better location would be Chicago. It's the 3rd largest city in the US and they could have it go along with the 2016 Olympics if Chicago get the bid.

I went to even draw out a track on Northerly Island near Solider Field. It within walking distance from Downtown. It would be 2.54 miles along Lake Michigan. Now this was just me messing around on Google earth for 10 minutes just imagine what Hermann Tilke could think up if he had a year.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g317/jello5700/ChicagoGP.jpg

In any case I just want there to be another USGP soon.

woody2goody
4th October 2008, 21:32
It looks pretty good but would need a few more straights.

The bit at the bottom near the water would be great if it was a long straight into a tight hairpin.

markabilly
5th October 2008, 13:44
I was thinkin thailand would be benie's choice location for the US GP or is he reserving thailand for the british or belgian GP????

FIA
5th October 2008, 14:02
What about Belle Isle or Long Beach (a man can dream)

markabilly
5th October 2008, 20:57

Nothere is only one place for dreams---Seca

FIA
5th October 2008, 21:47
I thought that would be too obvious for an answer, an man can dream, but a man can also faint at the thought of F1 and Seca.

call_me_andrew
5th October 2008, 21:55
Enough people complain when the track is in the middle of nowhere, imagine the complaints when the track is next to an eyesore like the rennovated Soldier Field.

It looks like a spaceship crashed into the Parthenon.

http://academics.triton.edu/faculty/fheitzman/soldier%20field.jpg

Belle Isle's current contract with the IRL expires in 2011. I'm sure most IndyCar fans would be glad to give it away.

Rollo
6th October 2008, 01:34
Road America - check and mate

Placid
6th October 2008, 01:44
Miller Motorsports in Utah is like the a few options available.

harvick#1
6th October 2008, 01:47
Watkins Glen, done :D

call_me_andrew
6th October 2008, 03:34
After watching the Singapore GP last I thought where in the US would be a good place for a GP. Now I live 10 miles from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and would love for it to come back. But I'm not sure Tony George is willing to put up the 30+ million Berrnie wanted.

It's not so much about putting up the money as it is putting up a feasable amount of money. Let's say Tony puts up $20 million out of his pocket. He would have to sell 150,000 seats at $133.34 each just to break even. If he could get a title sponsor to put up $15 million, he'd bring in F1 with no problem. And in a slow economy, advertising through sponsorship becomes a luxury many companies can't afford. It's also possible he could get a grant from the city of Indianapolis. IMS has never asked the city for money before, and if they deem it'll bring in more than it's amount to local buisnesses, they might go for it. Taxes get sketchy since IMS has it's own township.

Easy Drifter
6th October 2008, 03:35
No question about it. In Moscow in the US(SR)! OOOOOOOOPS!

call_me_andrew
6th October 2008, 03:36
No question about it. In Moscow in the US(SR)! OOOOOOOOPS!

I hope the common PCM comes with a flux capacitor.

Roamy
6th October 2008, 15:34
Watkins Glen, done :D

this is the proper choice. Long Beach would work if you laid the track out a bit better. Lets face it - the east has the highest number of "Wordly People" plus the easier international travel. A f1 race in Vegas would be a total bust unless it was Stevie Winn's own deal.

Areez2006
7th October 2008, 03:25
It's not so much about putting up the money as it is putting up a feasable amount of money. Let's say Tony puts up $20 million out of his pocket. He would have to sell 150,000 seats at $133.34 each just to break even. If he could get a title sponsor to put up $15 million, he'd bring in F1 with no problem. And in a slow economy, advertising through sponsorship becomes a luxury many companies can't afford. It's also possible he could get a grant from the city of Indianapolis. IMS has never asked the city for money before, and if they deem it'll bring in more than it's amount to local buisnesses, they might go for it. Taxes get sketchy since IMS has it's own township.

Very interesting insight, but it does not seem too implausible to sell F1 tickets for $140 bucks a seat. I've never been to a F1 GP, but I think I could pay that...

Valve Bounce
7th October 2008, 03:42
Just watched Casey Stoner win at Philip Island - now that could be a great place for the USGP!!

V12
8th October 2008, 10:01
Watkins Glen, Road America or Road Atlanta (I wish)

ShiftingGears
8th October 2008, 10:06
Just watched Casey Stoner win at Philip Island - now that could be a great place for the USGP!!

Only if you don't mind the thought of the whole island being paved.