PDA

View Full Version : Williams-Audi for 2009 (just a thought)

FIA
4th October 2008, 18:21
With Williams needing a new engine for 2009 if Toyota won't renew, then what about Audi building them engines. I believe the F2 cars are Williams chassis with Audi engines, so this could be a clue. Also Audi have thought about getting into F1, and Spyker wo't be using there engines for the 2009 FIA GT, so why not.

Chamoo
4th October 2008, 18:58
Won't happen, they would need more time for development. Also, they just re-signed Nakajima which pretty well guarentees that Toyota will be supplying engines again.

AJP
6th October 2008, 02:56
Maybe we could see some diesel F1???

AJP
6th October 2008, 02:57
side view

ArrowsFA1
6th October 2008, 07:45
Audi have been involved with FPA (http://www.formula-palmer-audi.com/) for a decade already and their involvement has been very low-key in that time. JP did a good job to get them involved in the first place but there's never been a hint of them stepping up to F1.

fizzicist
6th October 2008, 09:11
It'll never happen. The FPA relationship is a cheap one for Audi - they supply standard road car engines and get to be title sponsors.

VAG have repeatedly stated that they do not see value for money in F1 and will not enter as a result.

This is mainly due to the way Audi in particular like to go racing: They turn up with something different, dominate the sport for a couple of years and then leave:

Rallying in the early 80's - Arrived with the quattro and started the 4WD revolution.

Touring cars - quattro again & very successful - especially in the BTCC

Le Mans - first they brought FSI petrol engines to Le Mans and dominated then the first diesel car to win.

F1's tight regulations preclude Audi from doing anything that carries their brand values.

Secondly, Porsche just gained board control of VAG. I don't think VAG have the money to spend at the moment.

Donney
6th October 2008, 09:57
It would be nice but I don't think we will see it happen.

ioan
6th October 2008, 12:23
Only if F1 allows diesels.

Daniel
6th October 2008, 12:39
What Fizzi said is completely correct. Audi will never take part in a championship where there isn't a good chance they will totally dominate.

V12
6th October 2008, 13:51
What Fizzi said is completely correct. Audi will never take part in a championship where there isn't a good chance they will totally dominate.

I see it more as Audi will never take part in a championship where their technical creativity is strangled. F1 is now effectively a single-seater open-wheel version of NASCAR where equality and "entertainment" (I use that term loosely) are prized above sport, competition and innovation.

They did rallying and touring cars to develop and showcase their Quattro technology, same with sportscars, first with the FSI stuff and now the diesels. They are in motorsport for the same reason car manufacturers entered when the whole thing was first thought of over 100 years ago.

The only aberration I can think of to this is the DTM program, but you get the feeling that their main focus is on the sportscar program. Virtually every motor-sport related Audi advert I've seen in the past few years has had an R8 or R10 proudly emblazoned on it rather than the A4 DTM.

It's all well and good them providing some stock engines to FPA and the "F2" championship/circus act, but whats the point of them spending millions on an F1 engine that the rules dictate will have to be virtually identical to everything else?

ioan
6th October 2008, 14:55
I see it more as Audi will never take part in a championship where their technical creativity is strangled. F1 is now effectively a single-seater open-wheel version of NASCAR where equality and "entertainment" (I use that term loosely) are prized above sport, competition and innovation.

They did rallying and touring cars to develop and showcase their Quattro technology, same with sportscars, first with the FSI stuff and now the diesels. They are in motorsport for the same reason car manufacturers entered when the whole thing was first thought of over 100 years ago.

The only aberration I can think of to this is the DTM program, but you get the feeling that their main focus is on the sportscar program. Virtually every motor-sport related Audi advert I've seen in the past few years has had an R8 or R10 proudly emblazoned on it rather than the A4 DTM.

It's all well and good them providing some stock engines to FPA and the "F2" championship/circus act, but whats the point of them spending millions on an F1 engine that the rules dictate will have to be virtually identical to everything else?

Excellent post! You perfectly summed up the situation! :up:

Valve Bounce
7th October 2008, 04:06
With Williams needing a new engine for 2009 if Toyota won't renew, then what about Audi building them engines. I believe the F2 cars are Williams chassis with Audi engines, so this could be a clue. Also Audi have thought about getting into F1, and Spyker wo't be using there engines for the 2009 FIA GT, so why not.

I thought Nagasaki or whatever his name is has been confirmed for next year! :confused: