PDA

View Full Version : Williams keeps same lineup for 2009

truefan72
2nd October 2008, 00:27
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/01102008/58/williams.html

I think this is a good decision and I'm happy for Nakajima. Another year under his belt will show even more improvement and Rosberg's commitment is admirable. I wonder what engines they will be using in 2009 though.

Has that been decided?

Areez2006
2nd October 2008, 05:43
I couldn't fathom how they could make an engine change to a new supplier so quickly, but with the rule changes coming next year why not?

Williams really needs a partnership with an engine supplier (like McLaren and Mercedes)...maybe Williams Rolls-Royce :D ...just a thought

call_me_andrew
2nd October 2008, 06:09
Is anyone going to change drivers next year? This is the most straight faced silly season ever!

christophulus
2nd October 2008, 08:12
I assume they'll be sticking with Toyota if they've kept Nakajima on - he's showing promise but I believe he's still partially funded by them.

Good news though and hopefully they'll move up the grid next year.. it's about time they did!

AndyL
2nd October 2008, 11:17
Williams really needs a partnership with an engine supplier (like McLaren and Mercedes)...maybe Williams Rolls-Royce :D ...just a thought

Interesting idea :) I can't help imagining a Williams with a Merlin in the back... mmmm you'll have to excuse me for a few minutes :s pinhead:

Tallgeese
2nd October 2008, 13:32
I honestly don't know why Williams didn't go on with Cosworth. The CS2006 produced 830hp (that's about 80hp more than the Ferrari 056 or Renault RS06 or even Mercedes FO108-series) but was hopelessly unreliable with 20 retirements from 36 starts in 2006. That being said, the FO108 left McLaren out of contention (or even a win) in 2006, & although the McLaren-Mercedes MP4-21 had the speed, it lacked the reliability or consistency.

The partnership with BMW could have continued but Sir. Frank Williams decided to seek a new engine partner. Despite the acrimonious parting at the end of 2005 good will remained & BMW offered to continue supplying engines. That being said, Cosworth power was more impressive. I would have tried to stick to Cosworth power but tried to improve on reliability.

Ranger
2nd October 2008, 13:43
I honestly don't know why Williams didn't go on with Cosworth. The CS2006 produced 830hp (that's about 80hp more than the Ferrari 056 or Renault RS06 or even Mercedes FO108-series) but was hopelessly unreliable with 20 retirements from 36 starts in 2006. That being said, the FO108 left McLaren out of contention (or even a win) in 2006, & although the McLaren-Mercedes MP4-21 had the speed, it lacked the reliability or consistency.

The partnership with BMW could have continued but Sir. Frank Williams decided to seek a new engine partner. Despite the acrimonious parting at the end of 2005 good will remained & BMW offered to continue supplying engines. That being said, Cosworth power was more impressive. I would have tried to stick to Cosworth power but tried to improve on reliability.

Yes but the teams are still spending just as much on engine upgrades despite the rev limit and the freeze. This is where Cosworth would have fallen IMO.

Knock-on
2nd October 2008, 13:44
Interesting idea :) I can't help imagining a Williams with a Merlin in the back... mmmm you'll have to excuse me for a few minutes :s pinhead:

Time to leave this thread before it gets sticky :D

F1boat
2nd October 2008, 13:44
Poor Nico :(
I wanted him to race for BMW.

keysersoze
2nd October 2008, 17:13
Is anyone going to change drivers next year? This is the most straight faced silly season ever!

Only two sure changes:
1) Vettel to replace DC
2) There will be at least one new Toro Rosso driver.

Toyota, Williams, McLaren, and Ferrari have confirmed that driver line-ups will not change.

Red Bull Renault have confirmed their change for 2009.

Both Renault seats still undecided, subject to Fernando's decision and the team's decision on Junior.

Honda still up in the air, with Rubens rumored to be the most likely to leave if anyone does.

Force India is still undecided. There are good arguments for Fisi to stay, Sutil slightly less so.

Toro Rosso have not confirmed either seat year.

BMW have not confirmed either driver IIRC

It's getting pretty late in the year, so I have to believe the market is still active behind the scenes. Nine drivers currently on the grid have not confirmed that they will be in the same seat next year. We could be in for a few surprises.

jens
2nd October 2008, 21:35
Talking about engines, Williams has a contract with Toyota until the end of 2009. Who knows, what might happen after that.

Cosworth. Well, after Ford has sold it (at the end of 2004) it became a private enterprise and it was never going to be capable of matching the manufacturers. Let's recall 2006 - in the beginning of the season Cosworth had one of the best engines (due to their huge experience of V8 engines), but by the end of the season others had passed them in development and they had one of the worst - hence no team wanted to buy their engines any more.

Line-up. Well, quite an expected solution. Rosberg has at times made noises about being dissatisfied with Williams progress, but probably he has realized he won't get into a better team for 2009 and hopes that maybe Williams can get it right for next year. But if Kovalainen continues to underperform in 2009, then I think Rosberg has a good chance of getting into McLaren for 2010.

Nakajima - well, he isn't obviously among the best drivers, but nonetheless has exceeded the expectations of many this year by collecting a respectable amount of points. For a team in a position of Williams there aren't really notably better options than Kazu, if we also take into account the factor of free engines.