PDA

View Full Version : Teams considering GP weekend shake-up

ShiftingGears
1st October 2008, 00:11
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71034

In particular, the focus is on ensuring that Fridays deliver more for fans - and one proposal being floated is for the current extended practice sessions being replaced with a special, shootout-like, timed session for a cash prize.

Err...

gloomyDAY
1st October 2008, 00:29
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71034

Err...http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/killincommies/avatar8568_13.gif

V12
1st October 2008, 00:35
The words barrel and scraping come to mind...

How's this for a radical idea: Two hour long sessions, one on Friday one on Saturday. Unlimited running in both sessions, no limits on fuel or type of tyres used. The fastest times, set in either session, go towards making up the grid for the race.

:)

ioan
1st October 2008, 00:43
Someone should tell them that Friday is a working day and that might be why they get more people on Saturday and Sunday. :rolleyes:

F1 is getting to a point where it is in danger of becoming the laughing stock of motorsport.

ArrowsFA1
1st October 2008, 08:21
Many years ago Elio de Angelis highlighted the absurdity of testing. I can't remember/find his exact comment, but it was along the lines of the teams spending huge sums of money and time in the search for a couple of tenths, when they could do their testing on the Friday of a race weekend. So they may lose a tenth or two as a result but so what? Everyone would be in the same situation and the status quo would remain the same. Testing on Fridays would also mean plenty of track time for spectators who wanted to see F1 cars in action meaning that Friday's may actually be worth spending money to attend.

Make Friday a "fan" day when the teams and sponsors, in addition to their testing, make the sport more accessible for the fans. Sure they'd be busy testing, but time could be set aside for autograph sessions, pits walkabouts etc.

Mark
1st October 2008, 08:34
Many years ago Elio de Angelis highlighted the absurdity of testing. I can't remember/find his exact comment, but it was along the lines of the teams spending huge sums of money and time in the search for a couple of tenths, when they could do their testing on the Friday of a race weekend. So they may lose a tenth or two as a result but so what? Everyone would be in the same situation and the status quo would remain the same. Testing on Fridays would also mean plenty of track time for spectators who wanted to see F1 cars in action meaning that Friday's may actually be worth spending money to attend.

Make Friday a "fan" day when the teams and sponsors, in addition to their testing, make the sport more accessible for the fans. Sure they'd be busy testing, but time could be set aside for autograph sessions, pits walkabouts etc.

You are, of course, absolutely correct. I would completely ban all testing. Aside from perhaps one day before the season starts to make sure the car actually works.

Then make Friday a test day, the race being open all day with no restrictions on tyres or engines or anything else. In fact the cars wouldn't have to go through scrutineering either, so if they wanted to test a car for next years regs or run underweight, then that's fine too.

ShiftingGears
1st October 2008, 08:42
I'd agree to something that isn't gimmicky. Such as -

Giving the teams more testing time on Fridays.

Sunday warm-up. For the final tweaks - and so the audience are spared from watching Z-grade celebrities fart around in 15 minute races. I don't know if thats the case in other countries, but the '07 Australian grand prix had two or three of those races, all of which were completely unnecessary.

Although, it was a step up from hearing The Young Divas.

Dave B
1st October 2008, 08:50

So simple and obvious that it'll never happen!

As Mark says, the sensible course would be a testing ban apart from maybe a couple of days to shake down a new car. Then dedicate Fridays to test sessions - or even Thursdays too where there's space in the calendar. Charge fans a nominal sum for entry and mandate a period where there's access to the paddock.

Hey, you could even introduce a rule where every 100 autographs signed buys the driver one lap of testing! They'd soon mix with the paying public then! :p

jens
1st October 2008, 12:20
special, shootout-like, timed session for a cash prize.

Huh? What's the point of this? Do they award World Championship points for this? Cash prize? Well, the teams have already enough money, I think...

AndyRAC
1st October 2008, 12:30
Someone should tell them that Friday is a working day and that might be why they get more people on Saturday and Sunday. :rolleyes:

F1 is getting to a point where it is in danger of becoming the laughing stock of motorsport.

No chance, not even close - that 'honour' belongs to WRC.

wedge
1st October 2008, 12:35
As much as I support the idea of Friday testing I can see this as a logistical nightmare. How long do the F1 cars get to practice at the expense of support races?

ShiftingGears
1st October 2008, 12:48
special, shootout-like, timed session for a cash prize.

Huh? What's the point of this? Do they award World Championship points for this? Cash prize? Well, the teams have already enough money, I think...

Who'd pay for it? :p :

ArrowsFA1
1st October 2008, 13:29
As much as I support the idea of Friday testing I can see this as a logistical nightmare. How long do the F1 cars get to practice at the expense of support races?
Ahhhhh...ok. Take your point. Still, it's not a fully formulated plan :p

Oli_M
1st October 2008, 13:40
Personally, I love the current format of Fridays at GPs. Total of three hours of track time, basically running unrestricted (where as in the past they would limit running to save engines). Only thing I would change is to allow all teams to run a third car. Perhaps in the morning session this would have to be a "young driver" (someone who has never driven a Grand Prix or GP2 race, under 25, something like that) and the afternoon session for the teams regular testers. These cars would have say 3 sets of tires per session and again no restrictions on engines or fuels.

Couple that with restricting testing to 10 days between 1st Jan and the first race and then maybe 3 three day tests (say April before the European rounds start, July and mid summer break) and maybe one more in Nov/Dec????

truefan72
2nd October 2008, 00:13
Here is my suggestion

Friday - all drivers + 3r drivers welcome
1. FP1 same 90 minute session
2. FP2 1 hour session
3. Friday shootout - 30 minutes for cash prize

Saturday - only race drivers
2. FP3 - same as current
3. Quali - same as current, excpet in Quali3, no fuel requirements

Sunday -
1. FP4 for 30 minutes, allow set up changes due to weather etc.
2. Race - declare pit strategy to avoid penalty for fueling under SC

truefan72
2nd October 2008, 00:17
here is my suggestion

Friday - allow all drivers including 3rd drivers
FP1 - same as now
FP2 - one hour session
Friday shootout - 40 minute session with cash prize for fastest 1-8

FP3 - same as now
Quali period 1 - same
Quali period 2 - same
Quali period 3 - no fuel declaration

Sunday -
FP4- 30 minute sessions and setup changes allowed
Race - just declare pit strategy to avoid SC pit penalties. If you are witihn 2 laps of declared window then you are ok. After pit stop, declare the new pit window before the end of the outlap.

71minus2
2nd October 2008, 00:25
my suggestion would be to give an automatic pass to quali 2 for the fastest 5 drivers on Friday. The fastest driver goes straight to quali 3.

I'd resist the temptation to add more track time but would promote "fan zones" and demand more fan interaction on Fridays.

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2008, 02:52
here is my suggestion

Friday - allow all drivers including 3rd drivers
FP1 - same as now
FP2 - one hour session
Friday shootout - 40 minute session with cash prize for fastest 1-8

FP3 - same as now
Quali period 1 - same
Quali period 2 - same
Quali period 3 - no fuel declaration

Why do you think a shootout for a cash prize is anymore necessary than any three drivers being televised playing Wheel of Fortune?

I think the 3rd drivers idea was good. Even if it did mean drivers like Davidson got horribly overhyped.

Knock-on
2nd October 2008, 10:28
Everyone seems to be coming up with more gimmicks than Max and Bernie put together.

Limiting testeing to GP weekends will probably not work because Ferrari have 2 test tracks and will not want to see that advantage negated. I wouldn't if it were me.

Then you have to think about other series. Sure, F1 is the main event but GP2, Porche etc all need to practice, qualify and race. Not just F1.

AndyL
2nd October 2008, 10:58
Why do you think a shootout for a cash prize is anymore necessary than any three drivers being televised playing Wheel of Fortune?

I guess you've been watching British Touring Cars.

Daniel
2nd October 2008, 11:01
So true Andy.

If you banned testing then Ferrari would suddenly develop an open wheel road car similar to the Caparo T1 but strangely identical to an F1 car. So would other teams..........

markabilly
4th October 2008, 02:38

BRILLIANT IDEA, but actually very ancient and outmoded.....

I remember watkins glen and riverside in the 60's when one could DO EXACTLY THAT on a friday....indeed at the WSBK races at Seca in the late 90's and early 2000's, you could DO EXACTLY THAT.....then they went to motogp, and forget that amateur cr%p......... no sir, we be way above such sh$t, cause we want to be like Bernie's little circus, and if you ain't got 5k for a special pass that you get for one race from Switzerland, well, screw you.... :eek:

Read what I had to say about Paul Newman in the IRL thread, and my little experience at Riverside with Bruce mac. Indeed I got stories about Dan Gurney, and others, like Jim Clark.....but chances of that happening today??

Like less than zero..........unless my daddy owned marlboro.....

good idea but those days are gone, dead and gone.......sorry dudes