PDA

View Full Version : Grand Prix's that were planned, but never were

FIA
30th September 2008, 19:57
Does anyone know of any Grand Prix's that were on a provisional F1 calendar. but never happened.

I know of 4-
New York Grand Prix (?)
Soviet Grand Prix (1983)
Indonesian Grand Prix (1996)
Chinese Grand Prix at Zuhai (1994 & 1998)

jso1985
30th September 2008, 19:59
I don't think it ever made it to the provisional caledar but the Russian GP was the next big thing in F1 around 2003

I even remember when first watching the (formerly) Champ Car race at St.Petersburg I thought "oh so they settled for Champ Cars instead" :laugh:

FIA
30th September 2008, 20:39
hahahahahaha, I thought at first it was in Russia, as I didn't watch Champ Car at the time.

Mark
1st October 2008, 08:05
I don't think it ever made it to the provisional caledar but the Russian GP was the next big thing in F1 around 2003

Around the same time they were also talking about an Indian Grand Prix "within 2 years" but nothing has come of that either.

ShiftingGears
1st October 2008, 08:29
Korean Grand Prix.

wedge
1st October 2008, 12:28
Korean Grand Prix.

Wasn't that Champcar?

Edit: just remembered the Koreans were going to use dis-used land to build GP track

Oli_M
1st October 2008, 13:41
Sure I read last week that the Indian GP planned to start in 2010 was pushed back a year by Bernie..... If I find the story I'll post a link.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st October 2008, 14:18
What about the British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch in 2002

Dave B
1st October 2008, 14:33
What about the British Grand Prix at Donington in 2010? :p

ArrowsFA1
1st October 2008, 15:11
The Grand Prix of Gibraltar - if only the likes of Fandango, von Grips and Girling Foss had actually raced :p :

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2008, 02:57
The Olympic Grand Prix, 1986 - could've been at Montjuic (in the sense that Montjuic was at some point a racing circuit), instead was at Jerez, and called the Spanish Grand Prix.

BTCC2
2nd October 2008, 22:52
London Street Circuit.
Not planned but considered, was never going to happen though.

MrJan
2nd October 2008, 23:21
What about the British Grand Prix at Donington in 2010? :p

Pessimist :p :

Seriously though I think you'll be right, too much concentration on the Olympics instead of real sport. You can run and jump almost anywhere but driving an F1 car is different and the government need to get their priorities right and push money into motorsport :D ;)

wmcot
3rd October 2008, 06:19
Edit: just remembered the Koreans were going to use dis-used land to build GP track

Was that the same unused piece of land that separates North and South Korea?? ;)

Dave B
3rd October 2008, 08:51
London Street Circuit.
It might yet re-surface with Boris in charge and the 2012 Olympics looming :cool:

Brutor
4th October 2008, 17:13
London Street Circuit.

When Magny-Cours was under serious risks of being dropped from the calendar 2 years ago, there was a speculation that the French GP could be held in the streets of Paris, but that's not going to happen either.

There was a circuit in Japan called Autopolis that came very closing of hosting a GP in the early 90's, also i remember reading sometime ago that even Bulgaria was planning to host an event. :crazy:

AndyRAC
4th October 2008, 19:18
Pessimist :p :

Seriously though I think you'll be right, too much concentration on the Olympics instead of real sport. You can run and jump almost anywhere but driving an F1 car is different and the government need to get their priorities right and push money into motorsport :D ;)

Playing Devil's Advocate - Not politically correct - the green lobby would cause a stink! No Government can afford that. Plus the fact that there are millions of money in Motorsport.

Placid
5th October 2008, 03:35
The Mexico Track Mantarraya in Cancun was in process, but Wilma had other ideas.