PDA

View Full Version : Data Acquisition books

kobefly
29th September 2008, 20:47
Hello everybody, I have a simple question to ask some of the several experts that go through this forum everyday.
I live in Argentina (South America) and I want to buy some data acquisition books (probably on Amazon or something like that) but it has been very difficult for me to find any title. I really do not know who author is recommended or the name of some books to pick at least one.

The only 3 that I was able to find as available to buy are the followings:

Book: Competition Car Data Logging: A Practical Handbook
Author: Simon McBeath

Book: The Competition Car Data Logging Manual (Speedpro)
Author: Graham Templeman

Book: Analysis Techniques for Racecar Data Acquisition
Author: Jorge Segers

One of them is the one you named. Please let me know any recommendations you have about them or specially if there are more books I missed and that could be interesting.

I would appreciate any help you can provide me. Thanks in advance

Kneeslider
29th September 2008, 20:58
Hi there Kobefly.

I had a play with some very primitive Pi Research datalogging kit ooh, a million years ago, and it really is the simplest thing. I am quite surprised that there are books on the subject. The best way to learn about it is to hook it all up and have a play. About 10 years ago, computing power was very limited, so sampling intervals were very big, and the quantity of data you could store / number of channels was very limited also.

I always used to download the data from the logger into a laptop as a csv file, the use a wizard to save it as an excel file, after that you can use all the excel functions to do what you like to it.

I guess that each type of logger would have it's own dos and don'ts. See if you can hire something and have a play!