PDA

View Full Version : Night races

Mark
29th September 2008, 12:03
So what do you think of the whole night race concept?

Apparently Bernie wants there to be at least 3 night races next year, Singapore, Japan and Abu Dhabi - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7640907.stm

Personally I don't think this is a particularly good idea. It's fine for one race a year, it's a unique event, but then to have a good proportion of them running at night, I don't see it as benefiting F1.

Storm
29th September 2008, 12:26
One or two is fine I think....any more and it gets boring like all things...

ShiftingGears
29th September 2008, 12:27
Day races are just fine as they are. I certainly don't want the Suzuka race at night time. It should always be a day race.

Frankly, the whole concept of changing racing times to appease European audiences is stupid. I really wish someone will make Bernie go away so he stops ruining F1.

ArrowsFA1
29th September 2008, 12:29
Thought it was a gimick before the weekend, and nothing I saw changed my mind. Night races are clearly flavour of the month at the moment but F1 would do well focussing on more important things.

29th September 2008, 12:36
Thought it was a gimick before the weekend, and nothing I saw changed my mind. Night races are clearly flavour of the month at the moment but F1 would do well focussing on more important things.

Yes, because running successful races like Singapore is not important?

Good on Bernie for doing something to keep F1 constantly improving.

Now, what are the "more important things?"

MAX_THRUST
29th September 2008, 12:44
What Bernie wants he will get.....

In this case I am all for it. The atmosphere at night races in the states is always different to those held mid day. For one everyone has had a drink or three, by the evening.

I am all for it. That will be three very distinct races. I always remeber Monaco as a child no other circuit, so the night races will be what kids the fans of the future will remember too.

nigelred5
29th September 2008, 12:46
Day races are just fine as they are. I certainly don't want the Suzuka race at night time. It should always be a day race.

Frankly, the whole concept of changing racing times to appease European audiences is stupid. I really wish someone will make Bernie go away so he stops ruining F1.

Here's a novel concept: If the European television audience is so important to F1, which is is, how about actually holding MORE races...... IN EUROPE !!

Now that Bernie's only charge is to maximize the bottom line for stockholders, he's done nothing but ruin F1 with the constant money grab. :thumbdown:

ArrowsFA1
29th September 2008, 13:03
Yes, because running successful races like Singapore is not important?
I didn't say that running successful races "is not important". The issue in this thread is night races, and I think they're a gimick. The race would have been a success without the lights.

As for the more important things, you'll find they're being discussed in other threads.

wedge
29th September 2008, 13:05
I quite like to see a race held in twilight so the drivers/teams will have to handle with the changing track conditions as the track cools down. But the race will probably have to run closer to 2hrs than 90mins for it to be effective.

29th September 2008, 13:08
The race would have been a success without the lights.

It would?

A night race made Singapore look amazing and not just another street race. That alone makes it a potential jewel in the calendar.

Valencia, on the other hand, looked like it ran through an industrial estate. If only Valencia had a gimmick. Hell, if only it had something. Anything.

There was nothing gimmicky about Singapore. It was excellent.

nigelred5
29th September 2008, 13:11
The Saturday night races in NASCAR are spectacular for just that reason, but there are lots of changes that occur over a 4 hour race, regardless of the change from day to night. That just accentuates the changes. I agree, the average length of an F1 race is too short to have much of an effect, and in a place like Singapore, that puts you squarely in the line of fire for the afternoon/evening downpours. With the huge investment in lights, it sorta makes the investment pointless. A sportscar endurance race would however be awesome.

ArrowsFA1
29th September 2008, 13:14
It would?
That's what I said. You have a different opinion.

ioan
29th September 2008, 13:26
The issue in this thread is night races, and I think they're a gimick. The race would have been a success without the lights.

As for the more important things, you'll find they're being discussed in other threads.

Totally agree! :up: (well, almost cause gimick is written with 2 m's :p : ).

wedge
29th September 2008, 13:26
It would?

A night race made Singapore look amazing and not just another street race. That alone makes it a potential jewel in the calendar.

Valencia, on the other hand, looked like it ran through an industrial estate. If only Valencia had a gimmick. Hell, if only it had something. Anything.

There was nothing gimmicky about Singapore. It was excellent.

:up:

Valencia has a gimmick - harbour to the Americas Cup except the harbour looked empty with a backdrop no better looking than at Birmingham!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXzrNyMc6I

Rusty Spanner
29th September 2008, 14:40
Night racing regardless of where it is adds a little variety to F1. I think thats a good thing. It shouldn't be restricted to races in Asia purely for the benefit of European TV audiences.

However night racing potentially increasing the already insane costs of hosting a GP isn't so great.

How long now before we have a GP on a day other than Sunday? Saturday night has got to make more sense than Sunday for the local promoters and fans. Oops, silly me they don't count in Bernie's world.

Tallgeese
29th September 2008, 21:13
I am neither for night nor street races. Safety should be the main issue, & street circuits don't provide sufficient safety factor while night-time is always a hazardous affair. The Singapore GP was a success but the long-term issue is that F1 is being challenged.

Street circuits aren't cheap or easy to prepare but their cost is favourable compared to building a new circuit & this compromises safety in F1. It also is dubious because one would think that street races are for DTM & whatever production cars.

Hawkmoon
29th September 2008, 23:14
As long as it stays in Singapore only I don't have a problem with night races, though I don't think F1 at night was any better than in F1 in the day. I don't want to see every race held outside European prime time held at night to suit the Europeans and I have a horrible feeling that's what Bernie's got in mind, the short-arsed knob jockey that he is.

christophulus
29th September 2008, 23:42
I agree it's at a "more convenient" time for Europeans, but what about the Asian audience? Surely having a race at 8pm local time is going to have high viewing figures.

That's certainly how it works in the UK, the Brazilian and Canadian GPs go out in the evenings UK time and they always have the most viewers (people do go out on Sunday daytimes), so in that case I suppose it pleases as many people as possible, not everyone likes F1 enough to get up early to watch it.

Having said that, I'm getting up at 6am or whenever for the next two :)

CNR
30th September 2008, 00:00
donwunder ten still can not get it right and they have the exclusive rights to broadcast f1.

they show it from 10 pm on the new HD tv channel in the capital cities
and about 11:30 pm on sd tv channel. ( southern cross ten network affiliate does not even have the infrastructure to broadcast high definition)

? how would you like all but 2 races of a nighttime

nigelred5
30th September 2008, 02:21
Saturday night racing is awesome for us old farts that like to stay home and still have a few pints before bed, and it allows me to sleep in sunday mornings and still have the entire day for other activities like a day on the bay boating. Personally, I love when the y come on at 7-8am EST sunday morning. I watch the race in peace and quiet before everyone gets up and then have the rest of the day.

From the standpoint of attending the race, nothing is worse than being at the track all day sunday, then having a long trip home and having to be at work at 7:00 am monday morning. I can't imagine a race being until midnight sunday.

I actually hate when Fox has the F1 races and tape delays them until 1:00 pm on sunday so they go head to head with everything else under the sun.

call_me_andrew
30th September 2008, 03:00
I'm all for more night races, but keep them in Europe. I am not a morning person.

mwr120675
30th September 2008, 06:23
Waking up at 8am with a hangover to watch races sucks.

F1boat
30th September 2008, 06:43
I am all for night and street races after this season. Unlike other people, I liked Valencia very much and I don't agree that it was boring. Even if you say that it is, it is no more boring than many road courses.
About night races - I liked them in CART, I like them in stock car racing, I like the night stage at Le Mans and I loved the Singapore GP. It looked amazing, it looked beautiful and glamorous and for once I agree with Ron and Frank Williams, who also loved the event.
About the lack of overtaking - as heretical as I may sound, that's what I like in a street course. When overtaking is asy you are guaranteed to have to top two teams running away with every single race. While at a street course overtaking is very tough, requires special skill and allows the underdogs to win race, which I love.

So - more night races and more street races, please :)

aryan
30th September 2008, 07:40
donwunder ten still can not get it right and they have the exclusive rights to broadcast f1.

they show it from 10 pm on the new HD tv channel in the capital cities
and about 11:30 pm on sd tv channel. ( southern cross ten network affiliate does not even have the infrastructure to broadcast high definition)

? how would you like all but 2 races of a nighttime

Who cares about Ten? Get a live feed straight from ITV. You'll rob Ten off viewers and ad money, which is putting your money where your mouth is.

Exclusive rights? Yes... in the 20th century.

schmenke
30th September 2008, 22:12
Gimmick. No need for them. In a couple of years the grandstands will be half-empty.

Another thing that I couldn't help but ponder is the environmental impact of illuminating the track...? I thought F1 was trying to portray a "greener" image? :mark:

As others have mentioned, the Singapore GP would have been just as successful held during the day.

Fewer night races and fewer street circuits please!

Mark
1st October 2008, 08:28
Another thing that I couldn't help but ponder is the environmental impact of illuminating the track...? I thought F1 was trying to portray a "greener" image? :mark:

Yes. When I heard that the lighting rigs were powered by diesel generators, I did think, wow, how much diesel are they going to get through during the course of the weekend?! That has to be one of the most environentally unfriendly ways of generating the required power! I can understand them being used as emergency backup, but why couldn't they use a more efficient source as the main feed?

F1boat
1st October 2008, 09:30
Fewer night races and fewer street circuits please!

The night race is one and the street ones 3. IMO they are few ;) And people like me like them. When I speak with my friends, they like them as well. So I think that the new generation of fans will love them.

schmenke
1st October 2008, 16:23
Honestly, that's great F1boat :)

However, I've been a fan of F1 for (ahem, :erm: ) ~25 years now and I can't remember a season where I've been less interested in the sport :mark: .

call_me_andrew
1st October 2008, 22:44
Yes. When I heard that the lighting rigs were powered by diesel generators, I did think, wow, how much diesel are they going to get through during the course of the weekend?! That has to be one of the most environentally unfriendly ways of generating the required power! I can understand them being used as emergency backup, but why couldn't they use a more efficient source as the main feed?

Name a more efficent source of energy.

schmenke
1st October 2008, 22:49

Umm... the sun :mark:

call_me_andrew
1st October 2008, 22:53
Name a more efficent source of energy that doesn't require Europeans wake up early.

gravity
1st October 2008, 22:54
Umm... the sun :mark:

HAHAHA! Classic!

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2008, 02:55
Name a more efficent source of energy that doesn't require Europeans wake up early.

You do realise that Solar energy can be stored...

call_me_andrew
2nd October 2008, 06:10
That would require an insane amount of batteries.

Mark
2nd October 2008, 08:31
Wind, Tidal, Hydro, Nuclear, all better than running diesel generators.

PolePosition_1
2nd October 2008, 09:03

I'm not having a go at you in particular. But in general, Bernie cannot win. Fans moan when Bernie moves the races outside of Europe, expanding F1 global pressence. When he makes a move where Europeans can watch it at a decent time AND still increase its global pressence, he still gets criticised.

Personally, I think Bernie has done huge things for F1, I love F1, and Bernie has been a fundamental part of making it what it is today, so I cannot help but have anything than respect for the man. For sure, I don't agree with all the things he does, but thats because I like F1 for the sport, while he is a business man, but in general, 9/10 times he is right, as he acknowledges making the sport better is good for business.

Night races is a classic example. I think 3 races would be the right amount where it would not loose its uniqueness.

AndyRAC
2nd October 2008, 09:05
One is more than enough, plus the fact that the lights are so good it's almost like day anyway. It's not like it's Le Mans or a night stage in Rallying were it is sufficiently different to make a difference.
I do wonder were Bernie is taking F1. The

AndyRAC
2nd October 2008, 09:08
One is more than enough, plus the fact that the lights are so good it's almost like day anyway. It's not like it's Le Mans or a night stage in Rallying were it is sufficiently different to make a difference.
I do wonder were Bernie is taking F1. The sporting side almost being forgotten about in the rush to raise more £$£$. Surely the FIA have the power to do something ( or they should ).
There should be a variety of tracks - fast, slow, road, street, etc Instead we're getting Tilke-dromes,.......

Knock-on
2nd October 2008, 10:30
To have a night race, you need to have a great setting and Singapore was just that sort of setting.

wedge
2nd October 2008, 11:49
There should be a variety of tracks - fast, slow, road, street, etc Instead we're getting Tilke-dromes,.......

Going by that logic there should be a variety of races held day and night. Practice in the morning, quali in the afternoon and race in the evening :$

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2008, 13:03
I'm not having a go at you in particular. But in general, Bernie cannot win. Fans moan when Bernie moves the races outside of Europe, expanding F1 global pressence. When he makes a move where Europeans can watch it at a decent time AND still increase its global pressence, he still gets criticised.

That's because it's a world championship, and if F1 is going to ditch its traditional venues for circuits that dont have anything more than 90 degree corners, they should do it at a time that suits the part of the world that the grand prix is in. Rather than short-changing everyone else, like Bernie was trying to do when he decided that having an Australian Grand Prix in the afternoon, like European races, was just too unreasonable.

ShiftingGears
2nd October 2008, 13:04
Going by that logic there should be a variety of races held day and night. Practice in the morning, quali in the afternoon and race in the evening :$

I don't see how a variety in times would influence the driver challenge at all. Singapore is still stinking hot whatever time you hold a race.

Ranger
2nd October 2008, 13:22
All on the bandwagon! Abu Dhabi considers night race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71050

Well I suppose they have the money there to burn. Good on them.

F1boat
2nd October 2008, 13:48
Cool!

ArrowsFA1
2nd October 2008, 14:01
All on the bandwagon! Abu Dhabi considers night race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71050
Woop de Doo :dozey:

schmenke
2nd October 2008, 15:23
To have a night race, you need to have a great setting and Singapore was just that sort of setting.

Couldn't tell to be honest :mark: . All I saw on the telly was ~3 miles of brightly-lit tarmac. I would think that the venue would be more visually appealing during the day.

Valve Bounce
3rd October 2008, 07:44

Apparently Bernie wants there to be at least 3 night races next year, Singapore, Japan and Abu Dhabi - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7640907.stm

Personally I don't think this is a particularly good idea. It's fine for one race a year, it's a unique event, but then to have a good proportion of them running at night, I don't see it as benefiting F1.

Thailand is holding the next night race.

markabilly
4th October 2008, 03:06

"don't see it"????---there are none so blind as those that will not see....
Let me see, we got KERS to save some energy, and then we got nite races instead of using sun.....

clearly perfect benefit for f1