PDA

View Full Version : Singapore - hate or rate?

wedge
28th September 2008, 15:34
I'm rating this track highly.

Probably not quite Adelaide or Macau in terms of greatness but very enjoyable, really reminds of Seattle track in Gran Tourismo. I love T7, drivers trying to wrestle the car over those horrible bumps and seeing those sparks fly again.

Garry Walker
28th September 2008, 15:41
at least there was a little possibility to overtake, but the pitlane entry is very bad.

F1boat
28th September 2008, 15:46
This was the best race of the season and the circuit looks amazing. 10 out of 10 for me.

herra47
28th September 2008, 15:54
It will be just an another boring track, when they fix those bumps and lower the kerbs..

Nikki Katz
28th September 2008, 15:56
I think that it needs work but it's provided a much more exciting race than Valencia. It was a lot more entertaining watching the cars going around on their own than there too, appears to be second only to Monaco in skill required to keep it out of the wall.

ArrowsFA1
28th September 2008, 15:58
Good track and a good event by all accounts. That would have been the case without the lights.

Daika
28th September 2008, 16:00
Don't like it. The race is a lottery, every accident the safety car comes out.

VkmSpouge
28th September 2008, 16:05
A decent track though pitlane entry will have to be sorted out for next season. Under the lights it looked good but I wouldn't want another night race, it would diminish the only real point of going to Singapore.

Daika
28th September 2008, 16:08
Didn't notice that it was a night race. The should turn the light a nod down. To bright to call it a night race.

markabilly
28th September 2008, 16:22
Track per se? :down:
There was no where to really pass, even the real slow cars like trulli and so forth. A driver had to be real slow out of the corner, the passer willing to do a block type pass, and even then we saw little.

Now as to the potential to bump the wall, bring out the safety car, screw up the race order and make things interesting far more than they would be otherwise in the usual race? :up:
Just wait until it rains and instead of off roading like Spa, it is wall bumping and SC all the way!!!! :up: :up: :grenade:

However, one might ask, is that what it takes to make an F1 race intersting? Bumps into the walls and Safety cars???

Me thinks NOT, but as they say, money talks and bs walks, so I think I will walk down to the pond and go fishing.

MrJan
28th September 2008, 16:56
I liked it in terms of a challenge but don't think we'll get fantastic racing from it. Bumps make the driver work for their money (as said by Martin Brundle). Yes rain would cause carnage but it's all about driving and if you can't keep the car out the wall then you don't deserve to win.

However if the FIA said only one street circuit then I think that I'd drop Melbourne, Monaco and Valencia before this because of: A) the spectacle and B) there seems to be more chances for passing.

Whyzars
28th September 2008, 17:03
F1 racing under lights is a definite winner. I expected to see more bugs being splattered though... :)

harsha
28th September 2008, 17:07
the track doesn't have the character....i didn't see the point of the fast chicane when most of the drivers were virtually straight lining it anyways

truefan72
28th September 2008, 17:09
good track, needs some minor modifications for 2009, especially the curbs and the pit entry/exit. Despite claims of difficulty overtaking, cars where overtaken at a good clip during the race.

N. Jones
28th September 2008, 17:47
It will be just an another boring track, when they fix those bumps and lower the kerbs..
Fix the kerbs? They need to remove that stupid chicane at turn 10 all together.

Jag_Warrior
28th September 2008, 17:58
Track per se? :down:
There was no where to really pass, even the real slow cars like trulli and so forth. A driver had to be real slow out of the corner, the passer willing to do a block type pass, and even then we saw little.

Now as to the potential to bump the wall, bring out the safety car, screw up the race order and make things interesting far more than they would be otherwise in the usual race? :up:
Just wait until it rains and instead of off roading like Spa, it is wall bumping and SC all the way!!!! :up: :up: :grenade:

However, one might ask, is that what it takes to make an F1 race intersting? Bumps into the walls and Safety cars???

Me thinks NOT, but as they say, money talks and bs walks, so I think I will walk down to the pond and go fishing.

Though I think the night time Singapore skyline provided the second most beautiful backdrop for a street race that I can recall (Monaco being first), I agree with your assessment of the racing circuit. Without passing zones, it's not a proper racing course.

And yes, had it rained, as the odds suggested it would/should have... this would have been a farce of a race. The pit entry and exit are also jokes. I hope Valencia goes away soon. But I hope they revise this course and make something of it. I doubt that I ever make it, but this is one of the few new F1 races where I sat watching, wishing I was there.

fandango
28th September 2008, 18:07
I thought the night race looked great, but maybe it should be on Saturday night instead of Sunday. As for the circuit, overall a good beginning. Once they iron out a few things it'll be great.

jens
28th September 2008, 18:15
I don't know, why is Singapore rated above Valencia? Just because we had a safety car session, which created excitement?

Without a SC session basically nothing would have happened at Singapore and folks would complain about a boring circuit.
With a SC session Valencia would have been a lot more interesting and folks would have praised it for offering a great race.

It's not the circuit that makes a difference. Nowadays mainly rain and SC factors create some serious excitements into races, otherwise not much is happening.

Corny
28th September 2008, 18:35
even my girlfriend was impressed by the circuit that moves thru the city.. It is absolutely amazing

markabilly
28th September 2008, 18:44
I don't know, why is Singapore rated above Valencia? Just because we had a safety car session, which created excitement?

Without a SC session basically nothing would have happened at Singapore and folks would complain about a boring circuit.
With a SC session Valencia would have been a lot more interesting and folks would have praised it for offering a great race.

It's not the circuit that makes a difference. Nowadays mainly rain and SC factors create some serious excitements into races, otherwise not much is happening.

Yes, that seems to be all too true these days.

I think the circuit is hopeless. Please!!!

Houston (from champ car days) has a much better circuit, and that ain't saying much. Fact is that is nothing.

Why? On most other cicuits (except perhaps Valencia) do you really think that LH would have sat behind Nico like he did, without even an attempt at a pass? NO

Do you really think that RedBull and DC behind the wheel are that much better than LH? If DC had better luck with the pit stops, LH would have chugged home behind DC....... Duuuhhh

Do you really think that Massa would have chugged along in last place for as long as he did???? He was in last place, stuck like a duck behind whoever going slow. The drive through penalty was a joke.....he drove through and went back out where he was, in last place about a few seconds behind, which he quickly made up, only to sit behind whoever it was in front for lap after lap.

The track did bring out the best in Trulli......Trulli was truly amazing. He got in front of folks thanks to the SC and then held people up the entire race at the rate of one to three or four or more seconds per lap. Anywhere else and he would have been passed, far easier than he was.

Robinho
28th September 2008, 20:25
it was impressive, the track looked great and for a first race i think it went well. compared to the other street circuits it gives better racing than Monaco or Valencia - at least they was a genuine overtaking point, and proabably up there with Melbourne and Canada. at least it was a challenge for the drivers.

the novelty of the nigt race was nice, and the cars looked great under the lights, although a little "gran turismo"

i think it has its place, and is a better venue than a few we've got already

jso1985
28th September 2008, 21:00
The track itself doesn't look bad to me, it might be even better than Monaco, but it's still a quite dull track. and far from being "Best GP in the world" as Bernie claims it is(of course until F1 goes to Abu Dabhi)

as for being raced at night... what's the fuss? IndyCar racing and NASCAR have been doing it for years, ok I know, only in ovals but on a road circuit it didn't look more impressive

F1boat
28th September 2008, 21:08
jso, I am sure that CCWS had night street races, but none as glamorous as this one. About being best in the calendar to me this still is Monaco, but this is now a big contender IMO.

FIA
28th September 2008, 21:51
I liked turn 10, other than the pitlane entry it was a great track, 10/10.

wedge
28th September 2008, 23:20
Yes, that seems to be all too true these days.

I think the circuit is hopeless. Please!!!

Houston (from champ car days) has a much better circuit, and that ain't saying much. Fact is that is nothing.

Why? On most other cicuits (except perhaps Valencia) do you really think that LH would have sat behind Nico like he did, without even an attempt at a pass? NO

Do you really think that RedBull and DC behind the wheel are that much better than LH? If DC had better luck with the pit stops, LH would have chugged home behind DC....... Duuuhhh

Do you really think that Massa would have chugged along in last place for as long as he did???? He was in last place, stuck like a duck behind whoever going slow. The drive through penalty was a joke.....he drove through and went back out where he was, in last place about a few seconds behind, which he quickly made up, only to sit behind whoever it was in front for lap after lap.

The track did bring out the best in Trulli......Trulli was truly amazing. He got in front of folks thanks to the SC and then held people up the entire race at the rate of one to three or four or more seconds per lap. Anywhere else and he would have been passed, far easier than he was.

At least you had packs of cars. Nothing duller in motor racing than large field spread.

ShiftingGears
29th September 2008, 00:22
The track was a bit bland, and you know you've got something wrong when you put a chicane in designed to put the cars into single file. They should fix that.

Abu Dhabi will be another circuit consisting of mostly 90 degree corners. If it isn't bumpy, it is frankly, nothing.

aryan
29th September 2008, 01:41
As street circuits go, it was fine. Monaco is a legend in F1 so no point comparing the two. I can't see why people are rating it higher than Valencia though. Surely, it would have been as boring as Valencia had there been not pace car.

Seriously though, it has no overtaking place, and once you they sort out the kerbs for next season, it's not gonna be interesting at all. The only thing that can then make it any interesting would be a torrential rain.

Night racing is fine, as long as they keep it to 2-3 races a season. I don't want to see all non-european races at night time.

ioan
29th September 2008, 07:16
I think that it needs work but it's provided a much more exciting race than Valencia.

That's only thanks to Piquet, cause the track is boring and offers less overtaking opportunities than Monaco.

markabilly
29th September 2008, 07:43
Night racing is fine, as long as they keep it to 2-3 races a season. I don't want to see all non-european races at night time.

Okay F1 goes "Green" has Kers to save energy, and then has night races requiring thousands and thousands of mega watts of lights instead of using free sunshine.

Oh my oh me.
makes perfect sense to me.

She cried, More, more more,
but honey, I already gave at the office....

jens
29th September 2008, 09:20
That's only thanks to Piquet, cause the track is boring and offers less overtaking opportunities than Monaco.

IMO both Valencia and Singapore offer more overtaking opportunities than Monaco - both circuits have at least some proper straights, where it's possible to challenge the driver in front.

ioan
29th September 2008, 09:43
IMO both Valencia and Singapore offer more overtaking opportunities than Monaco - both circuits have at least some proper straights, where it's possible to challenge the driver in front.

Care to name those many overtaking opportunities?

PS: Even "balls to the wall" Hammy only overtook DC after DC was impeded by Alonso!

jens
29th September 2008, 10:27
At Monaco in dry conditions I don't think Rosberg would have got passed Trulli... Again, I don't know the name of the corner, but also Nakajima and Räikkönen passed Trulli there. Well, I wouldn't expect this to happen at Monaco that easily.

At Valencia we have some long straights and although in the current state of F1 we won't see many passes anyway, then at least they enable to slipstream the car in front and have a realistic pass given the following car manages to exit the corner, which leads to the straight, close to the car ahead.

At Monaco there are no long straights and even the "straights" are curvy, making passing very difficult and enabling driver ahead defend quite comfortably.

Storm
29th September 2008, 10:45
I would rate

the track:
pretty bad with only 2 places to pass (or attempt rather), narrow and still unknown what would happen in a wet race..also its too long, atleast they could put in a proper long straight.

the show: lights were impressive, backgrounds etc was great on tv, racing was decent with drivers trying hard to pass but unless there are SC periods this race will quickly get processional.

All in all, decent debut race, grandstands etc look great (looks worthwhile to check it out Live) but they need to change track configuration if they want good racing consistently.

ioan
29th September 2008, 11:25
At Monaco in dry conditions I don't think Rosberg would have got passed Trulli... Again, I don't know the name of the corner, but also Nakajima and Räikkönen passed Trulli there. Well, I wouldn't expect this to happen at Monaco that easily.

At Valencia we have some long straights and although in the current state of F1 we won't see many passes anyway, then at least they enable to slipstream the car in front and have a realistic pass given the following car manages to exit the corner, which leads to the straight, close to the car ahead.

At Monaco there are no long straights and even the "straights" are curvy, making passing very difficult and enabling driver ahead defend quite comfortably.

Don't get me wrong, but we usually see as many or more overtaking maneuvers at Monaco than we saw yesterday, and that is on a way shorter track than this monster.

And passing Trulli shouldn't be seen as an achievememnt when he was 5 seconds off the pace!

wedge
29th September 2008, 12:12
Care to name those many overtaking opportunities?

PS: Even "balls to the wall" Hammy only overtook DC after DC was impeded by Alonso!

T7 in Singapore. It's where Nakajima and Rosberg passed Trulli.

Where do you overtake in Monaco without crashing?

AndyRAC
29th September 2008, 12:17
The track itself doesn't look bad to me, it might be even better than Monaco, but it's still a quite dull track. and far from being "Best GP in the world" as Bernie claims it is(of course until F1 goes to Abu Dabhi)

as for being raced at night... what's the fuss? IndyCar racing and NASCAR have been doing it for years, ok I know, only in ovals but on a road circuit it didn't look more impressive

The way people were so excited, you would think no other series had raced in the dark before. NASCAR, Indycar, MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans have all been there, done that. Big deal - anyway, the lights are so bright it almost looks like day - so what is the point? Money£$, that's what!!
A strong governing body would kindly remind Bernie that this is a sport as well as a moneymaking scheme - and 1 night race is enough.

ArrowsFA1
29th September 2008, 12:26
Even "balls to the wall" Hammy only overtook DC after DC was impeded by Alonso!
Given DC's track record of incidents this year do you blame him for being cautious? :p

ioan
29th September 2008, 12:43
Given DC's track record of incidents this year do you blame him for being cautious? :p

I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday during the race!

ioan
29th September 2008, 12:44
T7 in Singapore. It's where Nakajima and Rosberg passed Trulli.

Where do you overtake in Monaco without crashing?

At the tunnel exit and at the hairpin entry. Been done numerous times.

As for passing Trulli in turn 7, he was 5 seconds a lap slower, so slow that Nakajima only needed 1 lap to go by!

nigelred5
29th September 2008, 13:06
I thought the night race looked great, but maybe it should be on Saturday night instead of Sunday. As for the circuit, overall a good beginning. Once they iron out a few things it'll be great.

There was plenty of overtaking in the field. Street cousese show who has the nads to actually make a pass. F1 drivers have gotten soft IMHO. The courses are all so sterile, with huge runoffs, no one is willing to make a pass.

Personally, I think the course is too long and has way too many turns for a street course. Get rid of some of the mickey mouse turns. I will say that I certainly don't want to see too much more street racing in F1. Ity's definitely only for television audiences. IMHO, it's horrible for spectators at the track, and virtually unsustainable anywhere but in the most unique situations. Places where the uber-rich can nuzzle their yachts right up to the track location.

At least in Champcar/Iindycar racing there's an open paddock and easy access to the drivers throughout the event. Spending huge amounts of money to sit in a grandstand and see 50-100 meters of track is BS. Street racing is not conducive to strolling the track and watching the racing from several vantage points. You simply can't see anything. Was never a real big fan of most street races in American racing, and I'm similarly unimpressed and disheartened with the move towards them in F1. A purpose built permanent course could be constructed for the cost of the cost of set up and tear down of the average street course over 5 years or so. Give me something at least semi permanent, like Albert Park, or Hermanos in Mexico City.

BlackRain
29th September 2008, 16:11
Don't like it. The race is a lottery, every accident the safety car comes out.

100% agree.

Reminded me of Champcar or IRL.

Hawkmoon
30th September 2008, 01:09
I think Valencia has a better layout but neither circuit are particularly good. As many have already said, this race was made by the safety car and the novelty of the night race. Take those two things away and your left with a rather dull circuit.

nigelred5
30th September 2008, 01:57
Lets see, we had a scrambled field to start with, backmarkers up front, cars that have been hopelessly stuck mid back winning the race, crazy incidents on and off track, beautiful cars in the spotlight. A track that rewarded drivers willing to take a risk making passes while supposedly world class drivers afraid to make a pass. We'd rather see the same ol crap procession of Hamilton, Massa, Raikkonen, and your 4th driver of the week not passing each other?

So many people are crying there were only two places to pass. SO what do we have 8-10 passing opportunities on every other tracks? Not ever close. Sepang is HUGE in comparison, and yet I hardly see any one passing anywhere , even on those long wide open straights. How wide does a track have to be? How many places do we see passing at Monza? take the chicanes out and there would be virtually none.

I thought it was a very entertaining race even if the drivers I wanted to see up front stunk up the place.

F1 needs to really reign in the braking power of the cars or we will never see any passing.

ShiftingGears
30th September 2008, 06:48
How many places do we see passing at Monza? take the chicanes out and there would be virtually none.

I completely disagree. It would be more like an oval, except with interesting corners.

F1boat
30th September 2008, 06:49
100% agree.

Reminded me of Champcar or IRL.

And that's what I like. Even if I am a Ferrari fan I prefer from time to time to see Renault or Williams or STR ahead, not only the familiar red or silver cars.

aryan
30th September 2008, 07:28
And that's what I like. Even if I am a Ferrari fan I prefer from time to time to see Renault or Williams or STR ahead, not only the familiar red or silver cars.

On merit, yes.

On luck... I'm not sure I'd want that.

Obviously racing will always include a certain amount of luck, but all should strive to minimise its effects, not to increase it.

F1boat
30th September 2008, 07:39
I disagree. One could argue that the true master knows how to respond in unnatural circumstances. Even if this is not true, I prefer to see "lucky" winners and not everything going according to dome ingenious plan made hours before the race.