PDA

View Full Version : RIP Paul Newman

A.F.F.
27th September 2008, 17:47
The Color of Money, Slap Shot, The Sting... just to name a few great performances.

schmenke
27th September 2008, 17:55
Butch Cassiday and the Sundance Kid, Cool Hand Luke...
The list of his accomplishments goes on and on...

One of my favourite actors.

RIP Mr. Newman :(

Breeze
27th September 2008, 18:00
You will be missed.

fandango
27th September 2008, 19:36
His like will never be seen again.

RIP

The most recent film I saw him in was Road To Perdition. He played an Irish "Mafia" boss. I remember it because of something his character says in the film, when at a funeral: "May he be safely in heaven at least half an hour before the Devil knows he's dead." His accent in that film reminded me of my own grandfather.

Jag_Warrior
27th September 2008, 21:55
The spirit of cool never dies.

Long live Cool...

gloomyDAY
27th September 2008, 22:30
Christ...

I am so sad. Cool Hand Luke is one of my favorites.
Thankfully his legend will live on.

RaceFanStan
28th September 2008, 01:10
RIP Paul Newman http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g202/gr8link/misc/c.gif

ChrisS
28th September 2008, 04:36
RIP :(

A great actor and a passionate racer

Azumanga Davo
28th September 2008, 05:54
Sad day for motorsport lovers and movie goers alike.

Heaven just got a bit more exciting...

28th September 2008, 08:47
Paul Newman - husband, father, amazingly talented actor, award-winning director, political activist, racecar driver and philanthropist - all the profits from Newman's Own products (salad dressings, sauces etc) have gone to charity. He developed the "Hole in the Wall Gang" summer camps for children with life threatening diseases. A truly inspiring person.

urabus-denoS2000
28th September 2008, 09:16
RIP Paul Newmann

The world lost a great person

SOD
28th September 2008, 20:00
could have been world champ if he didnt become an actor.

Rudy Tamasz
30th September 2008, 07:29
RIP Paul. A good man indeed.

Roamy
1st October 2008, 14:51
RIP Paul,
I am sad the last year was painful but at least this terrific person made it to 83.

Vez
1st October 2008, 20:46
RIP Paul Newman :(

A generally all round good guy who will be terribly missed.

AAReagles
3rd October 2008, 22:26
could have been world champ if he didnt become an actor.

Indeed. He certainly had talent for the sport, as least from what I recollect of Graham Hill's book, Life At The Limit, when it was mentioned that had the racing bug struck him earlier, he most certainly would have been a serious contender in a competitive arena.

Nevertheless, given his class act personality, I am pleased that he was involved enough in motor racing, whether or not intentionaly endorsing the sport to where the common folk might gain a slight interest in racing. It would have been difficult to find a better ambassador.

Favorite movies -

Hud

Life & Times Of Judge Roy Bean

Winning (of course)

Slapshot :laugh:

Sometimes A Great Notion (AKA Never Give An Inch) - loved the part where he made a gesture of defiance to the locals who opposed him and his family's logging business, by placing the (deceased) ol' man's frozen arm on a pole-with it's hand in the middle-finger salute configuration, while sitting on that tug (drinking a beer) totting logs down the river for everyone in town to see.

Like what was said of James Dean in his passing, 'the good die young', the same phrase would apply to Newman as well. After all he had a young, generous heart and spirit.