PDA

View Full Version : Trulli only receives monetary fine

truefan72
26th September 2008, 19:27
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/9/8431.html

ok I though the rule states that the infraction is not a financial one, but a grid place demotion. How are the stewards interpreting this in another way. It was not a pit lane problem ( per say since he crossed the pit entry at the wrong place and therefore could tack that on) but he was driving the wrong way on the track ( and at a high speed turn at that. I can't imagine what would have happened if a car cam down) so how come he isn't getting a grid place penalty.

Another sign of stewards simply arbitrarily metting out punishment without even the due process. and once again making a subjective call on a fine based on their feelings rather than the reality of the situation.

Trust me, if it were a mcclaren, we would have seen a 10 place grid demotion and they would have pointed to the letter of the law.

Robinho
26th September 2008, 20:18
i'm not one for conspiracy theories, but if the rules state one thing and the FIA have done another, after all the carping on over the last few weeks over rules being rules this is inexplicable - it was undoubtedly a very dangerous situation and i'm not sure Trulli took the safest option (watch the ITV-F1 first practice review) given the speed of the corner - he should have collected up and got up the straight off the racing line and taken another lap, rather than saving himself some time by driving the wrong way up the circuit and cutting the pitlane entry.

i hate to think, let alone say, this, but had this been Lewis the FIA would have been all over this and i'm in little doubt that there would have been a harsher penalty.

interesting also that a few forumers aren't all over this calling Trulli for boneheadedness, dangerous driving etc, apparently they reserve their objectivity for incidents involving other drivers in particular

ArrowsFA1
26th September 2008, 20:26
interesting also that a few forumers aren't all over this calling Trulli for boneheadedness, dangerous driving etc, apparently they reserve their objectivity for incidents involving other drivers in particular
Funny that :dozey:

Nikki Katz
26th September 2008, 21:03
It's hard to say how bad this is without seeing it. It doesn't sound right at all, though Trulli maintains that it was the safest thing to do at that moment.

ioan
26th September 2008, 21:25
What he did looked dangerous to me.
After he spun he was stopped transversely on the pit straight but not on the racing line. he could have pursued in the usual direction as easily as he went in the wrong one. Didn't understood why he did what he did.

Anyone knows if the same rules apply for FP as for qualy and race?

truefan72
26th September 2008, 21:30
After he spun he was stopped transversely on the pit straight but not on the racing line. he could have pursued in the usual direction as easily as he went in the wrong one. Didn't understood why he did what he did.

hmm, that may be the difference.

Although he did spin on the actual star finish straight at least 150 yard from where the pit wall begins, on the far side of the track, he then tried to spi the car to correct it and moved towards the pitwall still about 100yards from where the pit wall begins. He then proceed to rev up his engin and drive down the wrong way on the track, then take a sharp left over the demarcation lines and into the pits.

I'll see if I can get video fi it anywhere. I recorded the session on my DVR and observed it several times.And each time I look at it ti seems far worse.

truefan72
26th September 2008, 21:32

how true :up:

Robinho
26th September 2008, 21:45

you'd assume that its the same rules - certainly in relation to safety at least, but who knows, i guess there is probably a sufficiently large grey area.

i could not see why what he did was the safe option either, surely recovering and continuing in the correct direction is best, if Kovy had been having his spin at the last corner at the same time they likely would have collected each other.

my opinion is that it was a split second decision, based on the fact that he was very close to the pits and wanted to get off the track asap - fine in a computer game, not so much in an actual timed session. he saved himself the bother of completing another lap, but other than that i can't see the up side to the move - very dangerous, although obviously not pre-meditated - just a snap decision, in this case not a great one.

to me the more worrying aspect is the lack of standard sanction by the FIA (if the standard penalty should be a grid penalty, or other sporting penalty, as alluded to by Truefan)

yodasarmpit
26th September 2008, 23:52
How far did he travel in the wrong direction?

CNR
27th September 2008, 00:13
30.2 Drivers are strictly forbidden to drive their car in the opposite direction to the race unless this is absolutely
necessary in order to move the car from a dangerous position.

30.4 a) During practice and the race, drivers may use only the track and must at all times observe the
provisions of the Code relating to driving behaviour on circuits.

30.8 At no time may a car be reversed in the pit lane under its own power.

what damage was on the car ?
things like this should put them out for the whole race weekend

Hawkmoon
27th September 2008, 00:30
Does it actually say that Trulli's offense is punishable by a grid penalty? All I see is that is says they aren't allowed to do it.

Oh, and I call Trulli for boneheaded and dangerous driving. Happy now?

Ranger
27th September 2008, 00:50
From what I read on autosport, what he did was pretty damn stupid. I'd have given him a 5-grid penalty.

ArrowsFA1
27th September 2008, 09:11
to me the more worrying aspect is the lack of standard sanction by the FIA (if the standard penalty should be a grid penalty, or other sporting penalty, as alluded to by Truefan)
This is being highlighted time and time again. Vague rules and lack of clarity where penalties are concerned is an issue that the FIA should have addressed a long time ago.

Alonso was reprimanded and fined 10,000 euros for illegally crossing the white line at the pit entry in Valencia.

In Singapore Trulli is reprimanded and fined the same amount for driving the wrong way around the circuit and illegally crossing the white line at the pit entry.

:dozey:

Bagwan
27th September 2008, 14:03
That was dumb , Jarno .
High speed corner , going backwards , making the potential impact speed even higher .
Dumb move .

I imagined at that moment , that Jarno perhaps didn't have the fuel to make it around again , and had let the competitive brain over-rule the safe one .

As I write this post my opinion of the situation changes . My initial reaction was to condemn the move , but now , I'm not so sure .

Jarno said it was the safest way , in his opinion , to get out of the way . Sometimes , and I think it likely the way it went down , we have to trust the judgement of the driver .
Sometimes that spur of the moment decision isn't going to be the right one , but as long as the driver is genuinely convinced that what he was doing was the best approach , we must take that into consideration .

In fact , had Jarno given a reasoning like the one I mentioned , too little fuel , I think he should have been punished much more harshly , given his decision to disregard safety would have been merely to avoid disadvantage .

Well , since I just managed to have a debate with myself , you guys can all go home if you like . Hee hee .

jens
27th September 2008, 16:55
Hah, Trulli did the same thing what I usually do in computer games! :D If I've spun near pits, it's usual for me to drive backwards to get back into the pits quickly!

But generally yes, driving in opposite direction is strictly forbidden in F1 and is actually one of the harshest violations of racing code. If Jarno was sure it was the safest option, he must have been convinced (by team radio?) that there really was no-one else driving in Sector3 at the same time and he could accomplish that manoeuvre without interrupting anyone.