PDA

View Full Version : DVD-Film/Box or similar to recommend ?

pino
23rd September 2008, 11:22
Winter's on it's way unfortunatly, so plenty of time to seat in front of Tv juring the week ( I watch football on weekend ) :p : I've seen all my DVD's at least 10 times now so I need more stuff :D

A.F.F.
23rd September 2008, 11:45
Take Band of Brothers DVD-box for starters :up:

pino
23rd September 2008, 11:55

I knew you would be the first to reply here :p : Thanks :D

Daniel
23rd September 2008, 12:15
I've been wanting to buy Band of Brothers for ages. Every time I see it for a good price I think "hmmm do I need it? Nah" and then as soon as I see it and it's expensive I think "ooh I'd like that!" :arrows:

pino
23rd September 2008, 12:32
I've been wanting to buy Band of Brothers for ages. Every time I see it for a good price I think "hmmm do I need it? Nah" and then as soon as I see it and it's expensive I think "ooh I'd like that!" :arrows:

Same for me here, I think Basher also did recommend to me months ago but didn't buy due to... price ? :crazy: :p :

MrJan
23rd September 2008, 12:38
The Wire :up:
Breaking Bad (only seen the pilot but looks awesome)

janneppi
23rd September 2008, 13:04

Couldn't agree more.

Just watched the last four episodes of season 5 few days ago.

Absolutely the best crime series out there.

Effing McNulty. :p :

MrJan
23rd September 2008, 13:10
Couldn't agree more.

Just watched the last four episodes of season 5 few days ago.

Absolutely the best crime series out there.

Effing McNulty. :p :

I've only seen the first few episodes of the first season so far but am really looking forward to watching the rest, it's gripped me like The Shield did when I first saw it :D :up:

Daniel
23rd September 2008, 13:17
I've only seen the first few episodes of the first season so far but am really looking forward to watching the rest, it's gripped me like The Shield did when I first saw it :D :up:
I only saw one episode of the Shield (I think it was the shield) and erm one of the policeman had to perform a "service" on two criminals and that was me put off forever :p

MrJan
23rd September 2008, 13:33
I only saw one episode of the Shield (I think it was the shield) and erm one of the policeman had to perform a "service" on two criminals and that was me put off forever :p

Yup, Police Chief Acevada had the blokes gun in his mouth. Really intense plot line that brewed for ages, you really should have kept watching because it wasn't all like that, there was a lot of gratuitous violence too :D

PuddleJumper
23rd September 2008, 13:39
Same for me here, I think Basher also did recommend to me months ago but didn't buy due to... price ? :crazy: :p :
Actually, it was A.F.F. that recommended it to us both when we visited his apartment on the way home from our NORF trip. I saw it at a decent price a few weeks ago so bought it to watch over the winter. After I've watched the last season of The Sopranos, my brother's entire West Wing DVD collection and my dad's collection of NYPD Blue and Sharpe DVDs. Plus the new season of Heroes and 24 which start this autumn!

Maybe I won't be watching Band of Brothers any time soon. :\

Garry Walker
23rd September 2008, 13:40
If you want to watch a good series, I recommend Californication.

PuddleJumper
23rd September 2008, 13:47
I've heard it described as "better than The Sopranos". Quite an accolade.

pino
23rd September 2008, 13:52
Maybe I won't be watching Band of Brothers any time soon. :\

Put it in your car then, and make me a good price ;)

PuddleJumper
23rd September 2008, 13:54
Seconded. Hank Moody is a great character, and David Duchovny plays him brilliantly. I thought I wouldn't be able to watch him without thinking 'Fox Mulder' - but his X-Files character is so different it was never an issue. The series has a lot of adult content, both verbal and visual, but has a funny and dramatic side too.

schmenke
23rd September 2008, 14:01
Band of Brothers is definately worth the purchase :up:

Also recommended:
Sopranos
Rome (both seasons)

Simmi
23rd September 2008, 14:47
Some good shouts on here.

Glad to hear The Wire crop up a few times - that show is riveting.

Pino wait a month or so and get Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray when it comes out. It should look very nice.

Nice to see people on the forum have taste anyway!

Donney
23rd September 2008, 15:18
Californication and Rome are great!

:up:

ChrisS
23rd September 2008, 16:20
Knowing what DVDs you own would be helpfull so we can recoment new ones ;)

Since all others are recommending TV series I will recommend film boxsets

here's a list of the ones I own:

Indiana Jones Trilogy (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade)[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
Back to the Future Trilogy[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
Godfather Trilogy[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
Star Wars Trilogy (IV- VI)[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (Extended Edition)[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
The Man with No Name Trilogy (A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
Mexico Trilogy (El Mariachi, Desperado, Once Upon A Time In Mexico)[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
Alien Quadrilogy (Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Resurrection)[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
Pixar Ultimate Collection (Toy Story, Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille)[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
The Mel Brooks Collection (Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, To Be or Not to Be, History of the World, Part 1, The Twelve Chairs, High Anxiety)[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
Monty Python Holy Trinity (Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Monty Python's the Meaning of Life)[/*:m:1l06kdnm]
The Pink Panther Film Collection (The Pink Panther, A Shot in the Dark, Strikes Again, Revenge of, Trail of) [/*:m:1l06kdnm]

ioan
23rd September 2008, 18:04

+1 :)

Simmi
23rd September 2008, 18:10
On the comedy side does anyone else like Peep Show?

I've got slightly addicted to Play.com and cant seem to stop buying DVDs lately. But the stuff I consistently go back to and watch is South Park and Family Guy.

GridGirl
23rd September 2008, 18:21
My personal favourites at the minute are House and Prision Break.

MrJan
23rd September 2008, 18:29
On the comedy side does anyone else like Peep Show?

I've got slightly addicted to Play.com and cant seem to stop buying DVDs lately. But the stuff I consistently go back to and watch is South Park and Family Guy.

I watch Peep Show but ain't got it on DVD. Family Guy was also a staple but after buying every series I've seen them all so many times that they are on a long rest period at thje moment. As for South Park, I spent a long time watching old episodes on southparkzone.

At the moment I'm steadily making my way through It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia which isn't the most groundbreaking or hilarious thing ever but I still find it pretty enjoyable :)

City of Men is a pretty f***ing good series as well, especially if you liked City of God. Also you can't go wrong with Black Books which is inspiring at times, as in "that inspired me to drink a lot and do nothing"

pino
24th September 2008, 09:40
Thanks for your help guys, so now you all know what I wish for Xmas :p :

Storm
24th September 2008, 10:27
If you want to see some beautiful nature , buy the BBC's Planet Earth set

wedge
24th September 2008, 12:47
Alfred Hitchcock

Stanley Kubrick

Clint Eastwood/Sergio Leone

Miami Vice

Transformers :p

Garry Walker
24th September 2008, 12:55
Seconded. Hank Moody is a great character, and David Duchovny plays him brilliantly. I thought I wouldn't be able to watch him without thinking 'Fox Mulder' - but his X-Files character is so different it was never an issue. The series has a lot of adult content, both verbal and visual, but has a funny and dramatic side too.
Just my feelings. I had doubts about how Duchovny would be, but he has just been so perfect for this part.

I am also positively surprised quite a few people here are fans of that series besides me, including Ioan! I didn`t think it would be quite that popular

Simmi
24th September 2008, 21:33
Just my feelings. I had doubts about how Duchovny would be, but he has just been so perfect for this part.

I am also positively surprised quite a few people here are fans of that series besides me, including Ioan! I didn`t think it would be quite that popular

Damn right he's perfect for the part. He's recently admitted he is a sex addict!

Hazell B
26th September 2008, 18:18
Rome (both seasons)

Yep, Rome was top quality watching, and the sort of thing you'd watch a few times if you had the set.

I bought the Sky TV version of The Andromeda Strain yesterday, but as it's only 4 hours it's hardly a box set. Only got it as it was a) cheap and b) has Benjamin Bratt in it :facelick: Not seen it yet.

The Die Hard and Ocean's films get a good deal of use in our house.
DO NOT bother with the Pirates of the Carribean set :(

FastRed
30th September 2008, 15:30
Trailer Park Boys
Arrested Development
OZ
The Corner
Prison Break
Lost
The Sopranos

ARE ALL CLASS!!!! and long viewing (apart from the corner)

and Peep Show the best of the lot

Glen 320
30th September 2008, 20:07
I missed the sopranos first time round and have just started watching the first series on dvd,oh its good!
Also just watched the 2 series of gavin and stacey, very funny.