PDA

View Full Version : It's What They Would Have Wanted

MrJan
22nd September 2008, 19:23
A few months back a marshall died of a heart attack at an event I was attending. As he was well known and liked by other marshalls and competitors a decision was made to cancel the rest of the event as it was felt that the other marshalls wouldn't be able to give their full attention as there minds would be elsewhere. Of course this is fair enough but it did get me thinking about what would happen if either me or my Dad were to be injured in a crash.

I've always considered the term "it's what he would've wanted" as quite a patronising sort of phrase but, as pretty much life long followers of motorsport, we both said that we would want the event to continue as soon as possible no matter what the injury.

So if anything happened to you at an event, not necessarily motorsport and not necessarily as a competitor, would you want it to continue or everyone to stop as a mark of respect? :)

Drew
22nd September 2008, 20:12
I've always wondered this too. Personally I'd be rolling in my grave if this happened to me.

Another thing I've always wondered is that when young people die, they are always the nicest person you could ever have hoped to meet etc etc. Does that mean that the horrible people die old?

MrJan
22nd September 2008, 20:32
Does that mean that the horrible people die old?

Yup :up: I've already nicked a Stannah Stairlift ready for my old age ;) :p :

BDunnell
22nd September 2008, 23:16
I agree that the phrase has become really trite, but I think events should generally continue as far as possible in such circumstances so long as the agreement of family and fellow participants is gained. I have been to several airshows that have continued after fatal accidents. There is some truth in saying that the audience, in such circumstances, needs 'closure' and that it makes it a more miserable, sad experience for those watching if the event is curtailed.

Another thing I've always wondered is that when young people die, they are always the nicest person you could ever have hoped to meet etc etc. Does that mean that the horrible people die old?

They are often 'bright' and 'bubbly', too, I've noticed.

Easy Drifter
23rd September 2008, 04:00
I raced in an era when deaths were all too common and racing continued.
In Ont. now the coroner has to attend and the police also investigate. That basically shuts things down at least for the day.
When I was involved in the organization of pro races we would have a coroner at the track but basically the rule of thumb was a driver never died at the track but either on the way to hospital or at the hospital so the event could carry on.
I do not know what would happen today at a pro race in Ont. but the day's racing ended at the last two fatalities at Mosport. Both occured on a Sunday so the event was cancelled. Again I do not know what would happen should the death occur on Sat.

Daniel
23rd September 2008, 08:47
They are often 'bright' and 'bubbly', too, I've noticed.

In Australia all young people who die before their time are "happy go lucky" people.

There was an article on an Australian news site about a few teenagers from a school back in Perth who died in a car accident where one of people who died was found to be driving dangerously. Now the school's talking about erecting a big memorial to them and all but a sensible few are agreeing that there should be some sort of memorial :confused: Seriously wtf? Just because someone dies before their time doesn't make them worthy of a memorial IMHO and it makes a mockery of the time, commitment and work some people put into their lives which is far more deserving of remembrance but just because they don't go and die at an early age they're pretty much forgotten :mark:

Call me hardass but I find that sort of thing disturbing and wrong. What ever happened to a stiff upper lip?

If it were me I'd want the event to continue as long as it was safe to do so. Motorsport is dangerous and everyone should accept that if you spend your time around motorsport for long enough you are bound to lose someone.

I can understand why people would want to erect memorials to things like terrorist attacks, they serve as reminders of what terrible things we're capable of and I think it

Garry Walker
23rd September 2008, 13:25
In Australia all young people who die before their time are "happy go lucky" people.

There was an article on an Australian news site about a few teenagers from a school back in Perth who died in a car accident where one of people who died was found to be driving dangerously. Now the school's talking about erecting a big memorial to them and all but a sensible few are agreeing that there should be some sort of memorial :confused: Seriously wtf? Just because someone dies before their time doesn't make them worthy of a memorial IMHO and it makes a mockery of the time, commitment and work some people put into their lives which is far more deserving of remembrance but just because they don't go and die at an early age they're pretty much forgotten :mark:

Call me hardass but I find that sort of thing disturbing and wrong. What ever happened to a stiff upper lip?

If it were me I'd want the event to continue as long as it was safe to do so. Motorsport is dangerous and everyone should accept that if you spend your time around motorsport for long enough you are bound to lose someone.

I can understand why people would want to erect memorials to things like terrorist attacks, they serve as reminders of what terrible things we're capable of and I think it

Mostly my thoughts. The show must go on.

Drew
23rd September 2008, 19:02

The whole subject makes me a little edgy, because of course you have to remember that they did die and left parents, friends, girlfriends / boyfriends behind, who are clearly going to want it. But if you were to erect monuments for everybody who died, there'd be no space left / money for anything else.

At my school there was a plaque for somebody who commited suicide and it always confused me at my uni there is a plaque for somebody who was murdered, that makes more sense.

BDunnell
23rd September 2008, 19:45

I think the concept went out of the window when Princess Diana died and then disappeared further after '9/11'.

Daniel
23rd September 2008, 20:28
I think the concept went out of the window when Princess Diana died and then disappeared further after '9/11'.
9/11 I can understand to a point. Diana I can't understand one bit.

Can't find the link talking about a memorial but here area few links about the story.
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=95026
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=95893
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=96751

It's sad and all but what about the many people who die each day in other ways? People die and well people die all the time.

I really don't know what else to say other that that really :mark: