PDA

View Full Version : Will this turn Michael Waltrip Racing around?

Lee Roy
19th September 2008, 14:03
From jayski

Another big name in Formula One is jumping ship and will be coming to the Sprint Cup series in 2009. While Steve Hallam is a name virtually unknown, in the United States, he’s considered the one of the leading engineers in that world-wide circuit and he’ll be joining Michael Waltrip Racing according to a highly-placed source at MWR who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Hallam, currently head of McLaren Mercedes Race Operations, engineered World Champions such as Brazil’s Ayrton Senna, Britain’s’ Nigel Mansell, and Mika Hakkinen of Finland. He leaves a huge operation with an annual racing budget, reportedly, in excess of $400 million the largest budget in the series for the two-car team. Hallam’s exact position is not defined as yet, according to the same source. Eric Warren will continue as vice president and technical director. An official announcement is expected by the end of the week.

nigelred5
19th September 2008, 15:19
No.

Mark in Oshawa
19th September 2008, 20:00
Boy Nige, aren't you the eternal optimist? It might.....if the guy listens well and realizes they don't do stuff in Mooresville like they do back in Europe....well he might make a difference.

RaceFanStan
19th September 2008, 22:06
IMO adding a top-level engineer couldn't hurt. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

call_me_andrew
20th September 2008, 05:51
You know what would really turn Michael Waltrip Racing around? If Michael got out of the damn car!

ms0362
22nd September 2008, 18:25
You know what would really turn Michael Waltrip Racing around? If Michael got out of the damn car!

I was thinking the same thing.

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
23rd September 2008, 16:11
He did well on sunday. I got alot of respect for a guy that sticks his neck out like he has with ownership. Dont get me wrong i also think he's nuts with teams needing mergers to survive. But fair play to him and they have made improvements since making their chassis inhouse.

Mark in Oshawa
24th September 2008, 01:52
they are improving...and Mikey is willing to think outside the box, I like that. He may not be the driver he should be......but he is maybe going to make it as an owner. Reutimann is now in the top 10 every race....

nigelred5
24th September 2008, 01:58

Bingo! Mikey just isn't that good, and he pays a significant penalty due to his size, even in the delivery truck of a car they made the COT. look what Gibbs is doing with Toyota engines, and MWR was/is the primary Toyota factory team.

Mark in Oshawa
24th September 2008, 13:41
Nige....Mikey's height has little to do with his lack of success. His lack of talent in the eyes of some has something to do it but the fact is they built 3 Cup teams from scratch. He made bad personnel decisions and Lee White and Toyota didn't exactly have the knowhow and knowledge to help MWR through those growing pains because they were new to the game as well. Getting the people and resources needed to run up front in Cup is a tough go in ONE year. Show me a team that is competitive in their first year of racing and I can tell you it isn't in Sprint Cup racing. Red Bull struggled just as much. Bill Davis was the top Toyota team and they were lucky to get in the top half of the field most weeks in that first year of Toyota.

Face the reality. MWR is improving this year because they have made fewer mistakes in their hiring, they have found the tricks and setups needed to get that extra little bit of speed that makes a top 10 car vs a bottom of the pack car. They are making strides and you will note that David Reutimann has been very competitive of late and even Mikey has picked it up.

Mikey is not a great driver, never has been but he is competant and if given the equipment, he can compete at times. His owner hasn't had the equipment until this new chassis they have put out in the last 5 races came along and you are seeing the evidence. Both Reutimann and Mikey are running better, and a F1 Chassis magician just might be the thing they need to find something no one else is seeing. IN a sport of finding tenths of a second, finding something no one else has found because you have a guy who approaches the problem differently just may be a great move....