ioan
14th September 2008, 14:21
Here's to a future Champion!

dwf1
14th September 2008, 14:22
amazing race. Will Buemi really follow that? NO!!!! well done seb

VkmSpouge
14th September 2008, 14:28
Vettel did a really excellent job today and showed pace, consistency and maturity to win in very tricky track conditions. Well done to him and the Toro Rosso team. This is as close to Minardi winning in F1 we'll ever get :D

BDunnell
14th September 2008, 14:33
Brilliant, just brilliant.

ioan
14th September 2008, 14:34
Yeah, who would have believed that the ex-Minardi team will ever win a race based on their own pace!
I'm really impressed! :)

gloomyDAY
14th September 2008, 14:44
I hope Garry Walker doesn't find this thread.
He'll say Vettel is just another lucky driver.

Amazing for STR and the young German...

janneppi
14th September 2008, 14:46
What a horrible flashback in the podium ceremony, first the German national anthem followed by the Italian one. :D

Excellent race from Vettel.

BDunnell

Agreed!

markabilly
Yes SV drove an excellent race and makes me wonder that if I were looking for a driver, would I want him or the guy who does the fastest lap at the end of a race while in a less than meaningful place in the standings....

veeten
14th September 2008, 14:54
a great drive by a new up-and-comer. :)

My only hope is that the racing press doesn't start calling him 'the next Shuey'. Let Vettel build his own name in his own way, by his work on the track. :)

gloomyDAY
14th September 2008, 14:54
Looked like Vettel's dad was going to pass out while being interviewed.
Norbert seems elated! lol

Viktory
14th September 2008, 14:56
Absolutely amazing drive. Very impressed with Vettel. A future champion no doubt!

Bradley
14th September 2008, 15:00
And bravo Toro Rosso !

BDunnell
14th September 2008, 15:24
My only hope is that the racing press doesn't start calling him 'the next Shuey'. Let Vettel build his own name in his own way, by his work on the track. :)

I couldn't agree more. :up:

F1boat
14th September 2008, 15:49
Fantastic driver and fantastic victory. I am so happy and I think that the tifosi should be happy to hear the familiar combo of the German and the Italian anthem.
But this victory is even more significant, a dream, which came true for a young boy and the wonderful people from Faenza who never gave up and were finally rewarded.
Forza Vettel!

ioan
14th September 2008, 15:54
My only hope is that the racing press doesn't start calling him 'the next Shuey'.

They already do, he's called "BabySchumi"! ;)
What I hope, and I'm sure this will be the case, is that he will keep his composure and won't start drawing parallels and and making comparison, like a certain other driver usually does!

Did you hear that Lewy? :D

Powered by Cosworth
14th September 2008, 15:59
I told you all Minardi would rise again!

Really happy for the Italians, after so much fear over job security over the years, and the complete lack of pace for many many seaons, i'm so thrilled something good has come to them, and it's all their own doing! (Race-wise anyway). :D

VkmSpouge
14th September 2008, 15:59
Now that Toro Rosso has overtaken Red Bull in the Constructors' Championship I wonder how Vettel feels about having to join Red Bull next season?

I am evil Homer
14th September 2008, 16:00
Wow another thread, another dig at Hamilton...this is getting old now.

Well done to Vettel...lets hope RBR build a decent car for next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F1boat
14th September 2008, 16:01
Isn't this the first Ferrari victory which is not won by the factory team?

jens
14th September 2008, 16:40
Fantastic, absolutely incredible!! :up: :) Before the season I thought Der Seb will be racing around P15 throughout the season and didn't have any expectations on 2008, but it has turned out to be an astonishing rise. A win in his 22nd F1 Grand Prix. Youngest ever pole sitter and race winner, having shown maturity in handling the race. This is not only his first win, but also first podium as the first such opportunity at Fuji '07 ended in tears. But already back then it became clear that another opportunity would come sooner or later and most likely in wet conditions. With every Grand Prix weekend he's proving more and more that he should be seriously considered for a top team drive in F1.

Vettel was compared with Schumacher already back in 2005 and with further success it's obvious those comparisons by the press are almost inevitable, but let's see, what the future brings. I'm afraid that his 2009 season with Red Bull-Renault will bring him less success than the current one, so it's needed to be ready for a potential setback...

Placid
14th September 2008, 22:11
DM must be proud for this youngster.

Rollo
14th September 2008, 23:56
Let it be known that as of this GP the Vettel-Panis Exemption Clause has now been passed.

A common argument on this forum is that X Driver would have won a GP if only they had been given the chance to drive a better car. Vettel proved today that occasionally it's not the car that will win you the Grand Prix but how much talent you possess.

Quite honestly, you can't ask for a better performance from him, in Vettel's wake were two Ferraris, two McLarens, two Renaults, two BMWs and even Red Bull themselves conceeded that their second team wasn't as good - so all this meant is that it was the driver who did the work; ie. Vettel won the GP, NOT his car.

There are corollaries of this and perhaps I'll address this later.

CNR
15th September 2008, 00:41
about this time last year toro rosso seam to get better ferrari engines
if the same thing happens this year he could win again.

markabilly
15th September 2008, 01:16
My only thought is that he best get to a team that can consistently put it all together; otherwise he will end up like Button....remember when Button won his first GP? Everyone celebrated the same as now, and.........then.....then.....and I must admit, that he was and probably remains a very talented driver.....

wedge
15th September 2008, 16:15
Let it be known that as of this GP the Vettel-Panis Exemption Clause has now been passed.

A common argument on this forum is that X Driver would have won a GP if only they had been given the chance to drive a better car. Vettel proved today that occasionally it's not the car that will win you the Grand Prix but how much talent you possess.

Quite honestly, you can't ask for a better performance from him, in Vettel's wake were two Ferraris, two McLarens, two Renaults, two BMWs and even Red Bull themselves conceeded that their second team wasn't as good - so all this meant is that it was the driver who did the work; ie. Vettel won the GP, NOT his car.

There are corollaries of this and perhaps I'll address this later.

Senna almost won in the Toleman at Monaco 1984

Damon Hill close to winning 1997 Hungarian GP

Why the man upstairs decided to give it to Vettel, I have no idea!

stevie_gerrard
15th September 2008, 21:15
Fair play to Vettel, he has been one of the drivers of the season, and he totally deserves this. Hope this win is the first of many :)

wmcot
16th September 2008, 08:00
I thought it was classy on the cool down lap that many other drivers paused next to Vettel to show a sign of congratulations for him! Nice touch!

samuratt
16th September 2008, 09:04
I thought it was classy on the cool down lap that many other drivers paused next to Vettel to show a sign of congratulations for him! Nice touch!

Fernando even hug him at the end!!!

Storm
16th September 2008, 09:44
Great race by him...cool and calm even for such a young guy in tricky conditions to keep the lead at the start and then dominate. Well done Sebastian!

ps: having Heikki behind on any rolling start must make the leader happy, he never gets close to the front car at the restart (seen after SC too)

pps: Yes I liked the fact that Fernando was the first one to wish him (he broke Alonso's record) and hugged him...nice to see that :up:

Valve Bounce
17th September 2008, 03:13
Here's to a future Champion!

ioan, I am moved to ask you how you regard this fellow in comparison with SchM; after his wonderful drive, I would rate him likely to be SchM's successor as a future multiple champion who will dominate F1.

What do you think?

ioan
17th September 2008, 11:11
ioan, I am moved to ask you how you regard this fellow in comparison with SchM; after his wonderful drive, I would rate him likely to be SchM's successor as a future multiple champion who will dominate F1.

What do you think?

Early days Valve, but it's looking good.
I'll get some slack for this but still I'd rather see him dominate F1 than Hamilton. ;)

ArrowsFA1
17th September 2008, 12:08
I'll get some slack for this but still I'd rather see him dominate F1 than Hamilton. ;)
I wouldn't want to see any driver dominate in the way we've seen in the recent past, but the talented crop of youngsters we're seeing suggests that will not happen. Hamilton, Kubica and Vettel have all shown they are capable of winning GP's and it's probably fair to say they'll all be in competitive machinery in the coming years.

That is an exciting prospect for F1.

F1boat
17th September 2008, 14:09

Same here :)

aryan
17th September 2008, 18:03
Hamilton, Kubica and Vettel have all shown they are capable of winning GP's and it's probably fair to say they'll all be in competitive machinery in the coming years.

:up:

Tazio
18th September 2008, 08:54
KTM X-Bow
Fettel's other car

CNR
18th September 2008, 23:00
I SECOND THAT

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/formula-1/f1-sebastian-vettel-sets-fastest-time-in-jerez-before-the-rain?artid=101381

German driver Sebastian Vettel (http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/other/f1-vettel-and-toro-rosso-take-historic-history-in-italy?artid=101200) set today the fastest time in the 3rd day of testing at Jerez, Spain.
The young Toro Rosso driver was behind the wheel of the Renault-powered Red Bull.

Valve Bounce
19th September 2008, 01:37
I SECOND THAT

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/formula-1/f1-sebastian-vettel-sets-fastest-time-in-jerez-before-the-rain?artid=101381

While I confess to having enthused over fast testing times in the days when ant pedaled the Honda to fastest times week in week out, I have to regard testing times these days with a bit more caution. Having said that, I am hoping that Red Bull will show an increase in performance when they get their Ferrari drive train next year.

It is interesting that Sato is testing the Torro Rosso - what does this mean, I wonder :rolleyes:

Garry Walker
24th September 2008, 14:07

Amazing for STR and the young German...

Well, I did now and can say congrats to Vettel. He has always been amazing in wet, and I have always said so, but he has never impressed me in dry. Before he does that, excuse me if I don`t join the bandwagon of his hype.

What really is obvious is how good the STR is with the Ferrari engine, it is probably the 3rd best car at the moment. In the wet, even better.

futuretiger9
24th September 2008, 20:31
I wouldn't want to see any driver dominate in the way we've seen in the recent past, but the talented crop of youngsters we're seeing suggests that will not happen. Hamilton, Kubica and Vettel have all shown they are capable of winning GP's and it's probably fair to say they'll all be in competitive machinery in the coming years.

That is one of the great things about F1. There is always a re-generation, where a new crop of young chargers emerges to take over. It looks like the Raikkonen/Alonso era was very short-lived!

Am I alone in thinking that Vettel may just be the complete package, even more than Kubica, for example? He seems to have that difficult to define "something", which is very hard to pin down, and which defines champions.

ShiftingGears
25th September 2008, 07:08
What really is obvious is how good the STR is with the Ferrari engine, it is probably the 3rd best car at the moment. In the wet, even better.

Yep. RBR just may be overengineered - a bit like Honda was before Brawn, when SA gave them a run for their money.

futuretiger9
25th September 2008, 20:22
Yep. RBR just may be overengineered - a bit like Honda was before Brawn, when SA gave them a run for their money.

That's right, often keeping things simple, with a clear strategy, and employing hungry young drivers, can pay big dividends.