PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what to do in case of a bomb threat?

janneppi
13th September 2008, 11:01
Few days ago I was waiting to see my boss about something and he was running late. So I began browsing this workplace safety manual that was hanging on the wall. Amongst all the usual fire, accident, poisonous gas leakage intructions, there was a page worth of instructions how to handle a bomb threat phone call. :eek:

Now it being a university, I can imagine someone making a prank call to stop a exam(never heard of such here though) but I was surprised the lenght the intructions went, everything from trying to negotiate with the caller to few options to rate the callers frame of mind.

Of course no-one ever reads the damn thing and in case of a real call, the instructions aren't right next to you when you really need them. should I ask the caller to wait while I get the instructions so we can do everything by the book? :p :

BDunnell
13th September 2008, 12:27
should I ask the caller to wait while I get the instructions so we can do everything by the book? :p :

Definitely. The would-be bomber will appreciate it, too.

rah
13th September 2008, 14:19
Duck and cover. Or run out of the building first to make sure you are ok, then call someone in the building to start the panic for you.

fandango
13th September 2008, 16:33
While I was in University I had a part-time job in a theatre as an usher. One night there was a televised show, the national song contest or something, and I was working up in the cheap seats section at the top. The boss came and asked me to check in the gents toilets for a bomb because they'd had a phone call claiming there was. I remember going into the toilets and then thinking "hang on, what I'm doing now couldn't be right". One of those times when you wished you'd paid attention or read the manual. In the end it was only a crank call.

MrJan
13th September 2008, 18:18
Put the phone down and run like f*** :D

BDunnell
13th September 2008, 18:44
Put the phone down and run like f*** :D

How does f*** run? ;)

janneppi
13th September 2008, 19:04
Don't know about running, but mudskippers "walk" by moving their pectoral fins. :p :

BDunnell
13th September 2008, 20:34
Don't know about running, but mudskippers "walk" by moving their pectoral fins. :p :

Thank you for adding that to my knowledge.

Drew
13th September 2008, 21:10
Use reverse psychology? Go on, blow the place up, I dare you, you're chicken aren't you? What are you waiting for? (starts making chicken noises)

:p :

janneppi
13th September 2008, 21:15
Thank you for adding that to my knowledge.
We were talking about fish, weren't we? ;)

markabilly
14th September 2008, 03:06
Few days ago I was waiting to see my boss about something and he was running late. So I began browsing this workplace safety manual that was hanging on the wall. Amongst all the usual fire, accident, poisonous gas leakage intructions, there was a page worth of instructions how to handle a bomb threat phone call. :eek:

Now it being a university, I can imagine someone making a prank call to stop a exam(never heard of such here though) but I was surprised the lenght the intructions went, everything from trying to negotiate with the caller to few options to rate the callers frame of mind.

Of course no-one ever reads the damn thing and in case of a real call, the instructions aren't right next to you when you really need them. should I ask the caller to wait while I get the instructions so we can do everything by the book? :p :

Whatever happenned to proper customer service?

No, tell him you are too busy to talk right now, call back in five minutes and hang up. Then read up on the book to be prepared to properly answer his inquiry when he calls back.

Or ask him which class exam he is worried about flunking......

MrJan
14th September 2008, 11:32
How does f*** run? ;)

Quickly :D

leopard
15th September 2008, 11:01
No need to log out of forum, switch the socket off and go! :)

hauntedtony
19th September 2008, 20:56
PRAY lmao or get out the building b4 everyone else does