PDA

View Full Version : Monza Meteo

mstillhere
9th September 2008, 14:16
The weather in Monza is supposed to be cloudy and with rain maybe. http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/weekend/ITXX0049?from=36hr_topnav_business

So, that should help the McLaren's SUV's. :) Although I think that McLAren wanted a dry weather instead. Not rain on this track. So, who knows, maybe this time it's Ferrari not too UNhappy with rain.

I cannot remember so many wet GPs. And it kind of bothers me to see a champioship affected so heavely by the weather. It's not about the fastest car lately, but about the better car/pilot in the rain. I am sure that the McLaren's fans are gonna love this but I wonder.

F1boat
9th September 2008, 14:49
I don't like it as I want Massa to win the championship. So I hope that the rest of the season will be dry, although it is unlikely.

jens
9th September 2008, 16:35
Whoever wants to become champion, needs to have the ability to deal with all conditions (said both in drivers' and teams' perspective).

Talking about certain weather favouring a certain car... I would like to see an onboard-lap in Heikki's car in wet conditions. Why doesn't he excel there if the car is that good, but instead of this struggles like several others? Is he having difficulties with handling like we could witness in Kimi's onboard-video or is he driving smoothly and despite this appears to lack of speed?

mstillhere
9th September 2008, 21:26
Talking about certain weather favouring a certain car... I would like to see an onboard-lap in Heikki's car in wet conditions. Why doesn't he excel there if the car is that good, but instead of this struggles like several others? Is he having difficulties with handling like we could witness in Kimi's onboard-video or is he driving smoothly and despite this appears to lack of speed?

You know, I have been wondering about the same question myself. Is it just Lewis making the difference? I don't know......

Ranger
11th September 2008, 08:05
You know, I have been wondering about the same question myself. Is it just Lewis making the difference? I don't know......
Maybe Heikki just isn't as good as the other three drivers in the top 4 cars. Much like Eddie Irvine without the mouth, really.

jens
11th September 2008, 09:51
In the final laps of the Belgian Grand Prix Hamilton seemed like multiple seconds per lap faster than Ferrari. I don't know, how poorly anyone rates F2008 in wet conditions, but they logically can't be that bad that they are several seconds slower than a McL - it would mean the car is as poor as a Force India in the wet. It's more likely a matter of fractions of a second.

Looking at evidence. At Monaco Massa had quite fantastic opening laps and was pulling away from everyone. At Silverstone Räikkönen's pace was quite competitive until pitstop. So all in all I'm afraid folks are trying to talk down Ferrari's competitiveness in the wet more than it's worth.

If we question whether Hamilton makes the difference or not, then I'm not saying he is the class of the whole field, but unfortunately drivers, who could challenge him in the wet, don't have a competitive machinery (Alonso, Vettel, Sutil, and some others).

F1boat
11th September 2008, 11:22
On the wet Lewis clearly has an advantage over Kimi and Felipe. I think that only Barrichello, Button and Alonso might be that good while raining.

Storm
11th September 2008, 12:38
Lewis certainly is one of the fastest in wet conditions IMO....probably only MS would have been better than him but of the current crop I only think Rubens and to an extent Fisichella to be anywhere near him in ability in the wet.

But its actually good we are having a few exciting wet races this year which we certainly lacked in the mid 2000s where we went ages without any wet races. Of course if that leads to Hamilton dominating the last few, will be a bit boring but I have not seen a wet Monza race yet (I think!! since the 90s or atleast I dont remember any)

ArrowsFA1
12th September 2008, 09:18
It's looking a bit damp and tricky in first practice :eek:

ioan
12th September 2008, 11:25
A bit damp :?:

It look like if the night has come 12 hours too early.