PDA

View Full Version : Sebas Porto to Return?

tha_jackal
8th September 2008, 12:39
Talented guy, remember him aboard the Petronas Yamaha Two-Fiddy, i think it was?

Anywho, was strong in his day.. Was he ever champion? Im sure the current success of Debon may have something to do with it ;)

Sebas Porto negotiating World Championship comeback

Monday, 08 September 2008
Two years after his departure from the World Championship, Sebas Porto has revealed his desire to return to Grand Prix racing in 2009.

Sebas Porto, the 250cc World Championship runner-up in 2004 and one of the biggest names in the quarter litre class for many years, has revealed to motogp.com that he is in talks to make a Grand Prix return next season.

The Argentine departed from the 250cc class midway through the 2006 season after 12 years in the World Championship – and has since been concentrating on family life, while continuing to compete in domestic races in his home country.

Porto celebrates his 30th birthday this week and is ready to return to the World stage, saying, `I think there is a good opportunity to come back and that is exciting for me. My manager Paco Sanchez will continue some conversations with specific teams this weekend in Indianapolis. It is too early to say anything for certain but if things carry on in the right way I will be back.´

`If the team is good, the bike is good and everything looks right for giving it a try then of course I will say yes,´ he added. `I´m really good physically, I´m very motivated and I hope the offers on the table will be confirmed.´

In his 103 Grand Prix appearances in 250cc competition Porto´s record of seven victories and 12 podiums won him many admirers and he now wants to add to that success, having matured in recent years.

Commenting on the stability in his personal life, he said, `Thinking about my family and where I am in that sense things are much better. I know that I have their support. Now I´m married and I have a daughter and responsibilities. I was disconnected from my family during all the time I was travelling, but now after a rest at home I am keen to get involved in competition again.´

On the subject of using his experience to eventually make it into the premier class Porto stated, `I´d love to ride in MotoGP, but obviously it is really hard to find a good bike and there are so many strong riders. If I won the 250cc title though I´d love to make the move up.´

Although his proposed return still awaits confirmation Porto is sure that his future will be clarified shortly, declaring, `I don´t think it will be long before it is decided, because things normally get sorted around this time of the season. Within a couple of weeks we should know what is happening.´

Furthermore, Porto also admits that he has always remained interested in the day-to-day happenings in the World Championship during his absence from Grand Prix participation, revealing, `I constantly follow what is happening! I look at motogp.com every day, checking out the standings and the news. I watch all the races on television, which means getting up early, and I have never lost my passion for bikes.´

leopard
9th September 2008, 09:49
The time he rode Petronas Yamaha was golden time of Porto.
Trying bike with more development on two stroke like Aprilia didn't make him even better.
We have Poggiali who was unable to restore his performance when the golden time went off. To make a return is not something harmful, we hope more luck with him anytime opportunity of riding back motogp is approaching.

mx311
10th September 2008, 01:08
I have mixed emotions about this (just like I do about Sete). On one hand it would be great to have Seb back because he was a fine rider and a really nice guy, on the other hand I don't want these 30 something riders coming back and taking the places of youngsters looking to step up. There are plenty of guys in the 125 and 250 classes that deserve a 250 or MotoGP ride and I'd hate to see them miss out because of guys coming back out of retirement.

I have a suggestion for Seb (and Sete for that matter), instead of coming back to the 250 class or MotoGP try Superbike racing or World Endurance instead.