PDA

View Full Version : Larry & Gary's last world feed commentary

mikiec
7th September 2008, 22:34
They've announced a couple of times that Chicagoland is the last race for the international feed.

I've been critical of their broadcasting style, but I'd like to thank them anyhow as they're clearly knowledgeable and nice guys.

Now, let's get Jeremy Shaw and Hinch back for next year!!! :D

Andrewmcm
7th September 2008, 22:37
I guess Sky will do with Indycars next year what they do with NASCAR - pick up the US feed and its commentary.

Dr. Krogshöj
8th September 2008, 06:10
I loved it when Gary explained Helio's penalty at Detroit. "We saw earlier that they did exactly the same thing when they penalized I can't remember who it was."

BobGarage
8th September 2008, 07:26
nice guys, but useless at the job they were doing.

i'll be glad to see the back on them on the international feed.

domaza
8th September 2008, 09:27
Is there any European TV deals signed for 2009?

BobGarage
8th September 2008, 10:32
Is there any European TV deals signed for 2009?

Sky Spots (UK) has a deal with the IRL through 2011. Don't know about other countries.

acescribe
8th September 2008, 21:16
Man o man.....

wedge
8th September 2008, 23:18
Anyone missing them already?

Thought not

Bring back Paul Page and Garry Gerould!

Or at the very least the Irish ex-racer - I've forgotten his damn name - back in the commentary booth! LOL

garyshell
9th September 2008, 05:03
Hold on to your hollyhocks.

Gary

AussieV8
9th September 2008, 05:06
Does anyone know if the IRL still going to be on ESPN international next year? Wonder who we will get on the "international feed". Personally I think they should just give us the US commentators like they do with NASCAR.

NickFalzone
9th September 2008, 06:03
I read that ABC/ESPN owns rights to 5 races, which they will also air internationally. The other 13-14 races on the calendar are on VS. Not sure there's a place yet internationally for those races, beyond IndyCar.com. They may well make a deal for them in the offseason though.

call_me_andrew
9th September 2008, 07:26
With our luck, Statler and Waldorf will be doing the commentary next year.

http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif

mikiec
9th September 2008, 11:11
I guess Sky will do with Indycars next year what they do with NASCAR - pick up the US feed and its commentary.

That's probably because NASCAR don't do a separate international audio feed. In fact, I'm not even sure if they do a feed without the US commentary - I know when I've watched it on the French AB Moteurs channel, you can hear the US commentators underneath the French ones, which is annoying as all the ambient sound is turned down too.

Even the international video feed is the same as the US feed, but with a NASCAR logo covering the advertisements next to the ticker.

At least with Indycar (and CART/ChampCar RIP) the trackside cameras carry on when they go to commercials in the US, whereas they all down tools in NASCAR and you get lumped with an in-car shot for the duration.

Besides that, I can't see any international broadcasters being affected by which network it airs on in the US.

BobGarage
9th September 2008, 11:24
there was talk about an international TV feed from NASCAR a few years back, but its still not come about.

from what I understood larry and Gary saying on Sunday the international TV feed will continue next year, but without them. From what I heard they kept saying it was their last race on the feed rather than the feeds last race.

inimitablestoo
9th September 2008, 19:37
Can't fault the guys' enthusiasm (see Gary recently forgetting who he was at the end of the Detroit race :D ) but I've always wondered why we needed a different commentary team for the international feed. After all, we do speak (roughly) the same language as the domestic commentators, don't we?

BobGarage
9th September 2008, 21:10
Can't fault the guys' enthusiasm (see Gary recently forgetting who he was at the end of the Detroit race :D ) but I've always wondered why we needed a different commentary team for the international feed. After all, we do speak (roughly) the same language as the domestic commentators, don't we?

the domestic commentators do not continue to commentate through ad breaks. The US has more ad breaks per race than other contries, certainly the UK. You see that with the UK's NASCAR coverage and the coverage is constantly going back to the studio in the UK because the US are on another ad break.

The international feed commentators do not stop for ad breaks so the local countries TV channel can go for ad breaks when they wish and not when the US dictates. It also eliminates the need for a local studio team to go back to when the US are on another ad break.

inimitablestoo
10th September 2008, 19:54
Ah, that does make sense, thanks. Now to see who the new international commentators are, and whether they still have to have first names that rhyme.

racer69
11th September 2008, 03:30
Larry & Gary said they have been commentating together for 19 years. What were they doing together prior to doing the IRL world feed from 2002 (i know Rice was a part of the 2001 ABC American feed team)