PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a Sickie!

Hazell B
31st January 2007, 13:56
When was the last time you gave yourself some time off work or school and pretended to be ill or something? What excuse did you come up with? :eek:

I've just given myself (yet another) afternoon off work, but there's no satisfaction in making up excuses as I work for myself :p :

harsha
31st January 2007, 13:58
my excuse was,feeling a bit under the weather....always ;) ,not very good at excuses...

*hits the post button before boss sees this :p :

BeansBeansBeans
31st January 2007, 13:58
I've not pulled a sickie for 3 or 4 years, and even then it was because I was actually sick (although with a hangover, rather than any genuine ailment).

I did have a total of 8 weeks off last year with a serious back injury, and I find that people now treat me like I'm a malingerer, despite my otherwise spotless attendance record. I guess that's human nature.

pino
31st January 2007, 14:00
I too work for myself but unfortunatelly I cannot afford to be "ill" or somenthing :blackeye: ;)

BDunnell
31st January 2007, 14:00
The last time I pulled a sickie was in relation to a university tutorial, which would have been about six years ago. I have never done so at work.

LotusElise
31st January 2007, 14:02
I've done the classic "pretend to be ill when you've really got an interview somewhere else" thing.
I think I blamed stomachache on both times I did it.

BeansBeansBeans
31st January 2007, 14:05
I've done the classic "pretend to be ill when you've really got an interview somewhere else" thing.
I think I blamed stomachache on both times I did it.

That reminds me...

One of my friends once did the same, and at the end of the interview the interviewer asked him if he was now heading back into work, to which he replied 'No, I've pulled a sickie'.

For some reason he didn't get the job.

BDunnell
31st January 2007, 14:13
That reminds me...

One of my friends once did the same, and at the end of the interview the interviewer asked him if he was now heading back into work, to which he replied 'No, I've pulled a sickie'.

For some reason he didn't get the job.

Excellent. I must remember not to try that one.

Hazell B
31st January 2007, 15:17
I too work for myself but unfortunatelly I cannot afford to be "ill" or somenthing :blackeye: ;)

Neither can I, but as my earnings are seasonal it doesn't matter at this time of year. Wouldn't be actually getting cash for anything I did today, just saving work later.

One of the guys I know makes up such stupid, far fetched and hard to remember ailments it's a surprise he hasn't been sacked. I'd have sacked him years ago!

Iain
31st January 2007, 15:29
There was a guy in my place who had at least 10 of his grandmothers die in the space of 3/4 years. :mark:

I've only had one day off sick in the past 3 and a half years and I was genuinely sick. The inconsistency in that place really pisses me off though. Certain people who are in positions of authority seem to have as many sick days as they like and get away with it, whereas the normal workers get a hard time for it.

CarlMetro
31st January 2007, 16:18
I don't pull sickies I 'work from home' ;)

When I was serving my aprenticeship the company policy was to pay up to six weeks full pay for sick leave, which then reduced to half pay for a further six months. It was therefore an unwritten rule that you had to have at least two weeks a year off sick, whether you were ill or not. Some of the blokes I worked with would make sure they took the whole six weeks :rolleyes:

imull
31st January 2007, 16:20
Wish I could pull a sicky but the 3 i employ and my parents might not see the funny side even though they are retired :(

Did you pull this sicky to watch said cowboy film without your fella Hazell ;)

Iain
31st January 2007, 16:43
My workplace doesn't pay sickpay for the first three days absence in a year. I've heard this sort of thing is quite common now?

BDunnell
31st January 2007, 17:03
My workplace doesn't pay sickpay for the first three days absence in a year. I've heard this sort of thing is quite common now?

The workplace of a friend of mine starts taking days off sick out of your holiday allowance for your first year in their employment if you have more than a week off due to illness in your first month of work. I think that more and more companies are adopting such absurd rules as a result of people taking the piss when it comes to pulling sickies, especially, in my experience, around the Christmas and New Year period.

jim mcglinchey
31st January 2007, 18:17
Heres a little tip for interviewees. Do not ask the panel how many days sick leave you are entitled to. It tends not to go down too well.

Hazell B
31st January 2007, 18:50

Very common in my experience. They also have options to take holiday instead of sick days so that they can then say a bonus is only paid if you've not booked sick days all year. Most factory jobs in this area do that now.

Just found out Mick's having an operation next week (talk about short notice :mark: ) and he'll be forced to take two weeks off - his first sick time in that job. He's dreading it as he hates being stuck at home poorly. So am I, because he'll be under my feet 24/14! :p :

Ian McC
31st January 2007, 19:23
There was a guy in my place who had at least 10 of his grandmothers die in the space of 3/4 years. :mark:

Yes, we had one of those, got to be a standing joke, he ended up with the nickname 'Bunker', though I am not sure if that was connected :s

Ian McC
31st January 2007, 19:25
Actually one of my favourite ones I heard was someone who did not come in because he was looking after a friends dog and it was so ill he could not leave it. Next day he didn't come in because the dog had died and his friend was returning so he didn't want him to come home and find a dead dog!

Hazell B
31st January 2007, 19:35
I once rang a boss on my day off and said I'd need the next day off as the dog had just been stitched together after a nasty series of cuts and he said if it was for my dog I could take the week!

Of course, he wanted me working like a trooper when I had a broken arm :mark:

Caroline
31st January 2007, 19:53
Even though some days I have an overwhelmimg urge to stay at home, I have never pulled a sickie. It takes three days of continuous absence before a supply teacher can be called in for your class and in the meantime they are split up and sent to sit in the back of other classrooms with boring work. Firstly I'd feel bad for the kids not getting taught and then again for the teachers who suddenly find they have 30+ kids in their room. Stupid system :\

J4MIE
31st January 2007, 19:55
28 November to 3 December. I had a chest infection :s tareup:

Actually, the woman that checks up on everyone at work is so severe I think I actually prefer to come into work sick than to run the gauntlet with her :s

Brown, Jon Brow
31st January 2007, 20:12
I think the last time I pulled a sickie was in 2005 so I could watch the final rounds of the BTCC ;)

schmenke
31st January 2007, 20:16

Had never heard of that before :mark: .

Apart from one day several years ago (we had an awesome early snow fall and the lure of the slopes was just too great... :erm: ) I don't think I've ever pulled a sickie without genuinely having some sort of ailment.

My company allows a maximum of 6 sick days per year, although more than 3 consequative requires a note from a doctor. Last summer I had highly contageous strep-throat so I stayed home for 3 days. I was still sick on day 4 but went into the office anyways because I couldn't be bothered getting a note from the quack... :mark:

Also, any unused days from our annual allotment cannot be carried over and added to the next year's allotment. And since the company won't pay the equivalent in cash, we find many people pulling sickies in the month of December, just to use up any unused sick days :mark:

jso1985
31st January 2007, 20:46
I remember pulling at least 3 sickies a year when in High School
ah those were the days! World Cup semifinal? let's pull a sickie!

Drew
1st February 2007, 00:52
Yesterday, not that I actually missed anything in my classes though...

slinkster
1st February 2007, 14:25
I work freelance so I can also give myself time off as and when I like without answering to anyone, BUT I also work Part time and I'm glad to say I haven't had pulled a sickie for over a year or so. I really wanted to the other day because I haven't been sleeping well lately and I felt exhausted... but I need the money so I decided against it :)

Before then I was at Uni so I guess that doesn't count either! I probably was ill most of the time!

Firstgear
1st February 2007, 20:40
Have any of you heard of terms for this other than "Pulling a Sickie"?

The best I've heard is having a case of "Anal Glaucoma".

That's when you can't see your a$$ going into work.

Jaws
1st February 2007, 22:01
In the past, I have used the excuse of attending my mother's funeral, however after the 3rd time, it wears a bit thin.

Also, when you are really really sick, go to work and cough and splutter over everyone so they too get sick, they will never forget it. Then, when you have the urge to spend a day by the pool rubbing lotion into Mrs Jaws loins, ring up and tell them you are sick and cannot make it to work. Word will quickly spread around the office of how sick you must be to take a day off.

Fautless.

Hotbikerchic33
2nd February 2007, 08:32

Yes most places do this now i guess if you got payed for everyday you was off more people would have the odd day off work knowing they was getting payed for it etc,

Alot of people cant afford to lose a days pay so that probably stops them for pulling a sickie! wouldn't put me off though :rolleyes: :laugh: