PDA

View Full Version : Stewards to probe Hamilton, Raikkonen clash

ArrowsFA1
7th September 2008, 14:42
The Belgian Grand Prix stewards cast doubt over the result of the race after announcing an incident between Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen was under investigation.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70381

gloomyDAY
7th September 2008, 14:46
Why? They were bloody racing.

Neither should be penalized.

ioan
7th September 2008, 14:50
There should be no penalty, he gave back the position he gained by shortcutting the chicane and than it was game on.

ArrowsFA1
7th September 2008, 14:51
Let's hope that's how the stewards see it.

wedge
7th September 2008, 14:52
There should be no penalty, he gave back the position he gained by shortcutting the chicane and than it was game on.

Wait a minute, did I just read that right?

:D

gloomyDAY
7th September 2008, 14:54
Wait a minute, did I just read that right?

:D lol

I had the same reaction.

Robinho
7th September 2008, 14:55

thats how it looked to me, and then they continued to go wheel to wheel for the rest of the lap - 2 into 1 wouldn't go in the chocane and Leiws had to avoid, and gave the spot right back - it was a bit sneaky to then jam it stright back up the inside - i think the investigation will be if the cutting the corner he gave himself a better chance of the overtake into la source

it would be a tough to give a penalty

Ranger
7th September 2008, 14:57

The issue, as ever, is inconsistency. Remember Japan '05?

Alonso passed Klien down the front straight in the same way, pulled out a lead of 5 seconds, and was told to slow down because he apparently didn't let Klien past properly. So he had to back off by five seconds to re-address that (he was fighting a McLaren and Klien was bog slow that day which made it worse).

Nonetheless I don't expect a penalty here.

7th September 2008, 15:05

Alonso passed Klien down the front straight in the same way, pulled out a lead of 5 seconds, and was told to slow down because he apparently didn't let Klien past properly. So he had to back off by five seconds to re-address that (he was fighting a McLaren and Klien was bog slow that day which made it worse).

So surely those who were demanding consistency from race stewards will be doing the same now?

Arrows? Time to step up to the plate!

Personally,I thought the point was not to gain an advantage...

"So I let him past, then got in his tow and he was ducking and diving left and right but I managed to get past him and I was pretty much gone from there."

The "got in his tow" bit could be an advantage. Certainly more so than Alonso having to back off 5 seconds.

Knock-on
7th September 2008, 15:06
Lewes came round the outside of the fist corner and had the inside line coming into the next.

Kimi squeezed and Lewis had to cut the chicane to avoid an accident.

Lewis came out slightly ahead but McLaren radioed to let Kimi take it back which Lewis did.

This gave position and momentum to Kimi who was ahead at the line.

Lewis was so much quicker that he still easily took him at the next corner and despite getting a tap from Kimi, pulled away.

McLaren checked with Charlie W whether they had complied with the regulations and he confirmed that from a FIA opinion, they had.

Can't think of anything else?

ioan
7th September 2008, 15:07

I don't see the problem there! :confused:

Alonso should have given the place back on that very moment, not doing so cost him 5 seconds. Looks to me like a brain fart from FA and Renault.

christophulus
7th September 2008, 15:08
I can't see any advantage. If Raikkonen hadn't squeezed him out there would be no need for Hamilton to cut the corner.

Completely fair move by both drivers so a penalty would be harsh

wedge
7th September 2008, 15:09
So surely those who were demanding consistency from race stewards will be doing the same now?

"So I let him past, then got in his tow and he was ducking and diving left and right but I managed to get past him and I was pretty much gone from there."

The "got in his tow" bit could be an advantage. Certainly more so than Alonso having to back off 5 seconds.

But that was a harsh call from the stewards on that occasion. Similar thing happens often at the first chicane at Monza and nothing done about it.

truefan72
7th September 2008, 15:10
I agree with everyone's comments.

There is really nothing for the stewards to look at.

Let's hope the fIa don't mess up what was an exciting race.

ioan
7th September 2008, 15:11

I disagree, he was right behind or even along Kimi when they touched, so giving the position back was all he had to do and he did so.

From a championship POV I would have loved Massa to make up ground, but on the track not as a result of some wrong decision.

ShiftingGears
7th September 2008, 15:11
I don't see the problem there! :confused:

Alonso should have given the place back on that very moment, not doing so cost him 5 seconds. Looks to me like a brain fart from FA and Renault.

He did give the place back at that very moment, before repassing him moments later, then being told he had to forfeit 5 seconds.

Ranger
7th September 2008, 15:12
Alonso should have given the place back on that very moment

That's the point. HE DID. ...just like Hamilton did today. But Alonso was told to do it again and lost a lot of time.

You can blame Mr. Ecclestone for my lack of video footage which is pretty much video proof for what I just said.

ioan
7th September 2008, 15:13
thats how it looked to me, and then they continued to go wheel to wheel for the rest of the lap - 2 into 1 wouldn't go in the chocane and Leiws had to avoid, and gave the spot right back - it was a bit sneaky to then jam it stright back up the inside - i think the investigation will be if the cutting the corner he gave himself a better chance of the overtake into la source

it would be a tough to give a penalty

By giving the position back to Kimi, Hamilton negated any advantage he won by cutting the chicane, and even lost some more speed compared to Kimi (well he had to be slower in order for the Ferrari to pass him!).

There is nothing to be seen here, Hamilton won it fair and square.

harsha
7th September 2008, 15:16
are my eyes deceiving me :cheese:

anyway both of them fought fair and hard...good on Hamilton,Tough on Raikkonen

ioan
7th September 2008, 15:17
That's the point. HE DID. ...just like Hamilton did today. But he was told to do it again and lost a lot of time.

You can blame Mr. Ecclestone for my lack of video footage which is pretty much video proof for what I just said.

I see what you mean.

If I remember it rightly Alonso was further down the road compared to Klien than Hamilton was compared to Kimi.

In order to restorate the situation to what it was before FA cut the chicane, he should have done more than tuck behind Klien for a fraction of a second.

ArrowsFA1
7th September 2008, 15:21

By giving the position back to Kimi, Hamilton negated any advantage he won by cutting the chicane...

Had he not given the place back Hamilton would probably have been penalised, but he did give the place back. And that is all he had to do.

7th September 2008, 15:31
Had he not given the place back Hamilton would probably have been penalised, but he did give the place back. And that is all he had to do.

We shall see. That he was still able to get a tow, when that would have been unlikely had he not cut the chicane, might suggest otherwise.

ioan
7th September 2008, 15:32

That's exactly what I said! :confused:

veeten
7th September 2008, 15:33
The main thing that negates all of this is that at the very next turn, Kimi spins out and gives the lead right back to Lewis.

It's a hard thing to judge, especially when events on track, not of your or anyone's control, changes the outcome of any perceived infraction.

Lewis did the right thing in giving up the position when cutting short the chicane. The unforseen circumstance of Kimi's spin should not be taken out of the turns of events just to justify a bad attempt at righting a poorly conjectured wrong.

Knock-on
7th September 2008, 15:35

I think Arrows is agreeing with you ;)

ArrowsFA1
7th September 2008, 15:41
Indeed. Your point that no advantage was gained was well made :up:

Once Hamilton had given the place back it was race on again.

PSfan
7th September 2008, 15:52
Well, I think we are once again entering a very grey area. Had there been a wall next to the track, Hamilton would have been forced to either lift or take out Kimi, had he lifted he would have probably lost a second, so slotting back in right under Kimi's rear wing was still gaining over the alternatives. Normally I would think that thanks to MacLerans recent history they wouldn't be winning to many grey issue arguments with the FIA, but at the same token, at the same time I can't see the FIA taking away a win, or even applying any sort of penalty over something as trivial as Hamilton not conceding enough space.

However, from listening to TSN's Donaldson, it sounded like Ferrari where gonna protest something, and so far everyone is assuming its this incident.

Mifune
7th September 2008, 15:55
I think at this stage it would be extremely unhealthy to penalize either driver in this situation, I think most would agree the final laps of spa were the most exciting for some time, so I sincerely hope the stewards don't penalize good racing.

ArrowsFA1
7th September 2008, 15:57
However, from listening to TSN's Donaldson, it sounded like Ferrari where gonna protest something, and so far everyone is assuming its this incident.
Yes, that assumption was made in Ron Dennis's interview on ITV. He said he didn't know what the investigation was about but from what he was saying McLaren assume it was the chicane incident. The Autosport report does the same while saying "an incident".Perhaps it's something else :dozey:

markabilly
7th September 2008, 16:10
Necessity, justice, fair play and bernie's pocketbook, all demand that Hamilton being stripped of the win. Otherwise kimi will never catch up with LH and people will stop watching, revenues go down......and please massa is too inconsistent to depend on him to give Hamilton a fight for the wdc....OTOH, the last thing bernie wants is another Kimi WDC, so it will be a tough call, to be sure..........

Sad thing is that once again we need rain to make the race interesting

7th September 2008, 16:10
Perhaps it's something else :dozey:

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=93787

Don't know how reliable that is.

jens
7th September 2008, 16:13

If even ioan is at McLaren's and Hamilton's side in some issue, then it's clear there is nothing to be penalized. :)

Knock-on
7th September 2008, 16:16
Looks like Ferrari are going for a win in the courts if they cant do it on the track.

Sounds familiar ;)

MrJan
7th September 2008, 16:17
When Ioan says that something Lewis did was fair then there really shouldn't be any doubt :D

markabilly
7th September 2008, 16:35
All kidding aside, given the rain conditions, I did not see anything that one can penalize LH for either.

Now if it had been a dry track and the stuff went on, then just maybe there would be some grounds for fussing.

But it were not a dry track and no one could take the chance to change tires, although if Kimi had, perhaps he might have won, as it seemd that one driver who did, made some dramactic time and then some.

All drivers realize that there is a little or a lot of luck involved in winning and a race esp under these conditions, and there but for the grace of God, that could just as easily been LH in the wall instead of Kimi.

F1boat
7th September 2008, 16:38
Hamilton won this brilliantly. He should keep his victory, both drivers deserve no punishment.

PSfan
7th September 2008, 16:39
http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=93787

Don't know how reliable that is.

Paddock talk... normally I would wait for a more reliable sorce, however, this supports my gut feeling that Ferrari would protest a close call...

Looks like Ferrari are going for a win in the courts if they cant do it on the track.

Sounds familiar

Yah, and normally I would agree with the point I think your making, but I gotta give Ferrari credit for stepping up and making a formal protest instead of the sneaking around in the shadows the Macleran way like in Australia 2007 and asking FIA for a clarification and then getting a little pissy when Ferrari isn't dq'd

Bradley
7th September 2008, 16:51

While the stewards are probing the Bus Stop chicane and La Source incident, it is believed Ferrari have also taken exception to a separate element of Hamilton's racing tactics.

That could be about Hamiltons 4 line changes (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129297) after eau rouge.

VkmSpouge
7th September 2008, 17:03
Hamilton has been given a 25 second penalty for cutting the chicane. Felipe Massa wins the race, Nick Heidfeld takes second, Hamilton down to third.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70401

ioan
7th September 2008, 17:10
Alonso doesn't get a podium?!

Daniel
7th September 2008, 17:35

Sounds familiar ;)

Give it a rest.....

keysersoze
7th September 2008, 17:56
It seemed like Kimi forced Lewis off at the exit of the Bus Stop, but in the replay (and I only got one look) both locked up on the initial right-hander and Kimi had the steering wheel locked to the right even as his car gobbled up all the road at the exit.

pickup
7th September 2008, 18:20
What a complete farce! 25 seconds for that, he let Raikonen back through so he negated any advantage he had gained by avoiding an accident what else could he have done?
I didn't see Massa receiving any penalties after nearly causing a nasty incident in the pit lane at the last GP even though similar events in the GP2 races had incurred the wrath of the stewards, just seems like another case of Ferrari favouritism to me.

pino
7th September 2008, 18:25
Please let's continue this Here (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129303)