PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Day

gloomyDAY
7th September 2008, 14:26
Nicky baby!

Both STR drivers and, of course, Lewis.

Viktory
7th September 2008, 14:27
STR drivers. Lewis was mainly lucky in my opinion.

wedge
7th September 2008, 14:34
Bourdais deserves credit for the weekend and deserved a podium at the end.

Ultimately DOTD goes to Lewis for attacking throughout the race and not giving up and putting himself in an opportunity to go for the win.

dwf1
7th September 2008, 14:35
Seb Bourdais cause we expect it from the others

Daniel
7th September 2008, 14:36
STR drivers. Lewis drove well but was hardly solid.

ArrowsFA1
7th September 2008, 14:37
Ultimately DOTD goes to Lewis for attacking throughout the race and not giving up and putting himself in an opportunity to go for the win.
Agree with that :up:

Heidfeld gets the award for opportunist moves of the season. Brilliant :eek:

ioan
7th September 2008, 14:44
Most overtaking moves and made most of the situation at the end!
Without doubt it's Heidfeld! :up:

Robinho
7th September 2008, 14:45
tough - Lewis won in very trickey conditions and kept pushing throughout.

Trulli purely for the 1st 200m, he took half the field

Great opportunism for heidfeild and both STR's were great all race

ShiftingGears
7th September 2008, 14:48
Alonso, Heidfeld and the STRs.

I didn't expect Alonso to be so fast with that Renault engine. Same with Mark Webber.

gm99
7th September 2008, 14:58
Bourdais would have been my choice if the race had ended after 43 laps - unfortunately it didn't, so my vote now goes to Heidfeld. Great tyre choice and some great passing on the final lap!

truefan72
7th September 2008, 15:00

agreed

christophulus
7th September 2008, 15:12
Bourdais for me, on that performance he must be safe at STR next year..right?

Heidfeld also with a great drive but who knows where he'll be next year

pettersolberg29
7th September 2008, 15:17
Heidfeld - Still think he could get third in the championship. Only 11 points behind Robert, and with Monza, his strongest circuit, coming up next. Finding it ridiculous that his future is in question. Alonso is the only better driver in a worse team.

Knock-on
7th September 2008, 15:20
It was Kimi for me until the rain but has to go to Lewis who just kept himself in it all the way and took it when the conditions changed.

ioan
7th September 2008, 15:22

Based on what exactly? Certainly not on his finishing position, after a monotonous race and destroying Trulli's race at the start.
And he also lost 2 places in the last lap! Hardly a stellar performance.

Compare that with Heidfeld coming from 11th to 3rd and Vettel from 12th to 5th, after they lost out due to Bourdais ramming Trulli in the first corner.

VkmSpouge
7th September 2008, 15:28
Bourdais, Vettel and Hamilton all them did very well. Nick Heidfeld got the right call to change his tyres.

wedge
7th September 2008, 15:39
Based on what exactly? Certainly not on his finishing position, after a monotonous race and destroying Trulli's race at the start.
And he also lost 2 places in the last lap! Hardly a stellar performance.

Compare that with Heidfeld coming from 11th to 3rd and Vettel from 12th to 5th, after they lost out due to Bourdais ramming Trulli in the first corner.

True, but I feel Sea bass deserves credit of some kind after recent criticisms. Having been in P5 he could've fallen backwards but it outlined his pace all weekend.

ioan
7th September 2008, 15:43
True, but I feel Sea bass deserves credit of some kind after recent criticisms. Having been in P5 he could've fallen backwards but it outlined his pace all weekend.

He deserves credit for finally upping his game after a string of poor races, but to call him driver of the race is not realistic when others did way better (Heidfeld, Alonso, Vettel and Kubica for example).

Bourdais is certainly one solid driver, but that's all, nothing special.

jens
7th September 2008, 15:45
Alonso for me. He was driving an incredible race and was the only one, who managed to get near the pace of the cars of the Top2 teams.

Honestly, Ferrari needs a driver like Alonso. I'm even more confident in it now. It's also telling that it was Alonso's team radio (not anyone else's), from where we got information about the changing conditions. :)

Räikkönen was driver of the race for about 40 laps and donkey of the race for the last two laps. :p :

MrJan
7th September 2008, 16:11

Lewis got slightly lucky by the rain falling and Kimi crashing but he finished the race on merit and (mostly) managed to keep it on track in difficult conditions.

Driver of the day though would probably be Nick purely because he made a spot on decision and made the most of it.

pino
7th September 2008, 16:22
Bourdais for me too if he had not hit and ruin Trulli's race after an amazing start :mad: ;)

F1boat
7th September 2008, 16:41
Lewis, won the best win in his career IMO. Nick for the last lap.

Bagwan
7th September 2008, 18:10
Hey , Nick .
You seeing what happens when Robert feels hard done by , and rails on the mechanics ?
Some folks are calling your drive , the drive of the day .

You've got to keep this going . Nice prezzies for all those in the pit lane now . That's the way .
And , make sure you get Mario's coffee right . That's a double-double with demarerra in fine bone if I recall correctly .

Sleeper
7th September 2008, 19:02
Bourdais, out raced Kubica with a broken front wing.

Daniel
7th September 2008, 19:12
Bourdais for me too if he had not hit and ruin Trulli's race after an amazing start :mad: ;)
That was an amazing start. From what I saw he was up to 4th?

markabilly
7th September 2008, 19:50
Now that the "real results are in" seems to be a toss up between Massa and the FIA.....and I think the winner is the FIA, since they did what massa could not do the entire race, put his Ferrari in front of LH

Garry Walker
8th September 2008, 11:10
Ioan is pissed off because Bourdais destroyed Vettel pacewise all the weekend.

Driver: Hamilton and Kimi (even though they both messed up), but at least they both went for it and didn`t play the points game.

pino
8th September 2008, 11:49
That was an amazing start. From what I saw he was up to 4th?

Yes he was 4th, pity it ended that way :(

Daniel
8th September 2008, 11:55
Yes he was 4th, pity it ended that way :(
You win some you lose some. I have to say that's probably the best start I've seen in an F1 race from mid field/back of the grid.

ioan
8th September 2008, 14:50
Ioan is pissed off because Bourdais destroyed Vettel pacewise all the weekend.

Au contraire! I'm glad that Vettel beat the overrated Frenchie to the flag! :D :p :

Garry Walker
8th September 2008, 14:57
Au contraire! I'm glad that Vettel beat the overrated Frenchie to the flag! :D :p :

I agree Bourdais is overrated. That is what makes him being faster than vettel at a true racers track all the more enjoyable :D

ioan
8th September 2008, 16:48
I agree Bourdais is overrated. That is what makes him being faster than vettel at a true racers track all the more enjoyable :D

A look at the championship standings tells the whole story! Sorry, but you are supporting a losing horse. :D

Oh, and he should learn to swim, cause driving in the wet is clearly not for him, not even on a drivers track! :p :

stevie_gerrard
9th September 2008, 22:20
Heidfeld deserves it just for the final lap drama, astonshing gamble that paid off.

Rollo
10th September 2008, 00:08
I think it was Raikkonen.

He was under a hell of a lot of pressure (possibly for his very job itself) and ran quite a consistent race up until the point he went off.

If you consider that a) he was on tyres that were 18 laps old and b) probably slicked off at the time, then can you really blame him for hitting what could be a 3 inch squared portion of track with less grip whilst at the same time doing 130mph?

From the run from Stavelot to the Bus Stop and through Blanchimont, cars touch 200mph in the dry, and that's assuming good grip conditions. If you've driven on the motorway in bad rain, you'll know first hand how treacherous it can be - now try that without a windscreen, or wipers, or without grooves on the tyres.

Had this been a driver error maybe you could blame him, but seriously...

mstillhere
10th September 2008, 00:51

I second that

Tazio
10th September 2008, 01:17
Fred managed, orchestrated, strategized, and drove a masterful race, in a p.o.s. ! :up: