PDA

View Full Version : Joburg, South Africa

donKey jote
5th September 2008, 17:42
off to Johannesburg in a couple of weeks to scout for donkey test tracks for an upcoming event (2010 World Cup :dozey: )... are there any forumers in the area?
I'd be grateful for any travel advice (apart from "don't go" :p : ). Is there anything to see apart from Kyalami ? :devil:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Donney
5th September 2008, 18:09
I envy you, that's all I can say. Enjoy your trip!

Eki
5th September 2008, 19:34
I hear you get to rent a car from R 222 per day.

Daniel
5th September 2008, 23:04
off to Johannesburg in a couple of weeks to scout for donkey test tracks for an upcoming event (2010 World Cup )... are there any forumers in the area?
I'd be grateful for any travel advice (apart from "don't go" :p : ). Is there anything to see apart from Kyalami ?

Is the wife in tow? If so and she likes shopping then go to Sandton City :)

Common sense really applies in Jo'burg. Don't go any places that look really run down or that looks like a shanty town and as far as I remember don't go in the city centre. But perhaps things have changed since I was last there about 10 years ago :) Jo'burg isn't as dangerous as people seem to think but it's by no means as safe as most places here in Europe so do be careful :)

Going to a game reserve would be good to do if you have a couple of days free. Capetown is certainly worth a visit if you have the time and money for a flight. If you go to the top of Table Mountain be sure to take some warm clothes as it's freaking cold at the top at the best of times :p Beautiful views though. Cape Town is a much nicer city in my opinion and I've always been sad to leave.

Drew
6th September 2008, 02:33
I see an advert about malaria hotspots, take care out there!

Daniel
6th September 2008, 08:57
http://www.sa-venues.com/images/malaria.gif

Good point :) Here's a map for you :) Absolutely no risk of it in Jo'burg if you're just staying there.

GridGirl
6th September 2008, 10:07
My boss went to South Africa sometime in February to watch one of our clients race at Kyalami. He witnessed a murdered and nearly got carjacked. :s

I have no idea when they play their sport in the southern hemisphere but you could maybe check out a cricket or rugby match. :)

donKey jote
6th September 2008, 14:38
thanks guys :)

Strictly work dan, no wife no shopping no time - >10 hour flight, 2 days donkeying, >10 hour flight back ( worst still: probably with air frog :eek: ).
So not much to envy, donney, it's one of those offers your boss hints at where you can't really say no :p :
gridgirl, the last time a group went down to South Africa one of them got mugged (+ a knife in the butt), but that was a couple of years ago :dozey:

Daniel
6th September 2008, 19:40
OK no time for the good stuff then :(

Krugersdorp is fairly close to Jo'burg and you can do a few game tours there

http://mzone.mweb.co.za/residents/k75/tourist.html

Strange that people have seen muggings and murders and so on. I've been there 3 times and been there for at least 6 weeks each time and never seen anything of the sort. Perhaps the fact that my parents speak Afrikaans meant we didn't attract as much attention.

You'll feel at home there Donks. There are sooo many BMW's and Merc's there you'd think you were in Germany.

donKey jote
7th September 2008, 18:50
You'll feel at home there Donks. There are sooo many BMW's and Merc's there you'd think you were in Germany.
I know... guess who supplies them with tyres from a factory in PE :s mokin: :p :

Daniel
7th September 2008, 19:18
I know... guess who supplies them with tyres from a factory in PE :s mokin: :p :
Ah yes. I remember my uncle complaining that the tyres that came with his 528 were too soft and that he was getting punctures :p

drivacee
7th September 2008, 20:25
To anybody hiring a car in Joburg do be careful.i had a month there in November.Did a deal with Budget at Joburg for a Golf for 29 days ,rate agreed on net was 3229 rand.got no invoice on returning car,told it would be put on my card.returned home ,card statement came and Budget charged me 9880 rand.NO way could I get ANY reply from Budget SO dont use them
I actually got ALL the charged back from my credit card company Halifax

donKey jote
7th September 2008, 20:59
Ah yes. I remember my uncle complaining that the tyres that came with his 528 were too soft and that he was getting punctures :p
Dodgy neighbourhood eh ? :p

Daniel
7th September 2008, 22:16
Dodgy neighbourhood eh ? :p
No just crappy tyres :p

I had a problem with one of the tyres on the front of my car that was made by your lot :p Might have had something to do with the spring breaking and ripping the sidewall of the tyre up though :p

Garry Walker
8th September 2008, 15:00
You have reasons to be afraid if you are of the wrong colour (white)

donKey jote
9th September 2008, 20:58
No just crappy tyres :p
I had a problem with one of the tyres on the front of my car that was made by your lot :p Might have had something to do with the spring breaking and ripping the sidewall of the tyre up though
reminds me of a mate of mine who also complained about his crappy tyres... turns out one of them deflated after going up and over the kerb at substantial speed :p :dozey:

You have reasons to be afraid if you are of the wrong colour (white)
is that based on experience?
To be honest I'm more afraid of the 2x10 hour flight or dodgy tropical diseases than the actual stay there. :)

Daniel
9th September 2008, 21:03
reminds me of a mate of mine who also complained about his crappy tyres... turns out one of them deflated after going up and over the kerb at substantial speed :p :dozey:

is that based on experience?
To be honest I'm more afraid of the 2x10 hour flight or dodgy tropical diseases than the actual stay there. :)

I really wouldn't be worried about tropical diseases on Jo'burg :)

Stupid mate :mark: I don't think any tyre could stand up to a nice sharp spring or a kerb at speed.

donKey jote
9th September 2008, 23:05
Stupid mate :mark:

bit of a donkey, yes ;) :p