PDA

View Full Version : No British GP at all?!

ioan
5th September 2008, 15:36
Ecclestone said recently that if the circuit was not ready in time for the 2010 event then there was no back-up plan to keep the event at Silverstone.

"We've been playing around for six or seven years," he said in an interview with BBC Radio 5 Live. "If Silverstone couldn't do it before then why could they do it now?

"We scaled back so much for them and agreed things we shouldn't have, to keep things at Silverstone. If there is no Donington there is no British GP."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70292

ArrowsFA1
5th September 2008, 15:42
I suspect those quotes come from when the FIA announced the British GP was going to Donington because Bernie said the same then. No Donington = no British GP.

A few years ago we were told the race was being moved to Brands Hatch. That never happened and Silverstone kept the GP so...who knows!

Knock-on
5th September 2008, 16:57
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70292

Don't know what I make of this.

Warning sounds coming from Donington perhaps?

Donney
5th September 2008, 18:08
There has to be a British GP!

ioan
5th September 2008, 21:31
So after all they are going to do it.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70322

I wish the image with the layout would be bigger!

ASCAR24/7/365.5
5th September 2008, 22:12
errrrr.jus go onto the donington website, you can download all their plans here, including drawings, elevations of buildings, everything...looks very impressive...love the new circuit layout....kept the classic corners and added some cool new ones...the infield loop is going to have some serious elevation changes!

http://www.donington-park.co.uk/formula-one-plans

Allyc85
5th September 2008, 22:21
Looks like theyve made great use of the limited space theyve got and yea the elevation should be great. So hoping this whole plan works out.

wedge
5th September 2008, 22:27
http://www.donington-park.co.uk/files/pdf/master_plan.pdf

Thoughts on T2/new section? It's interesting though I'm not so sure what to make of it. Prefered the original sweeping/spoon type curve.

Coppice looks like a replica of Bahrain so I think we'll see overtaking on the main straight.

Looks like they've got the Sunday Market so hopefully they'll add grandstands around Redgate at a later stage.

blito
5th September 2008, 23:05
i like the look of the new layout.. never was much of a fan of silverstone so to me this looks like a big step in the right direction...

my fantasy track would involve the kramer cruves, brands paddock hill and cadwells gooseneck and mountain sections .. now that would be a real mans track lol :P

markabilly
6th September 2008, 02:55
No brit GP? Good!!!
No one in Britainna deserves one

Allyc85
6th September 2008, 12:05
whys that then?

christophulus
6th September 2008, 13:21
The layout looks great, but then I think that was always expected. The real issue is the access.. and they don't seem to have made many improvements to it.

Rover V8
6th September 2008, 14:24
The layout looks great, but then I think that was always expected. The real issue is the access.. and they don't seem to have made many improvements to it.

I don't see any improvements to access at all....

ChrisS
6th September 2008, 14:52
Any idea of how the elevation of the new section will be?

The way things are now there is great elevation change between goddards and the old Hairpin. If they keep it as it is T4 will be a very steep uphill

ASCAR24/7/365.5
6th September 2008, 22:32
yeh i agree, i cant see them flattening it out because it wont br practicle. the way i see it the new loop will end at the top of the spectator banking on the inside of the old hairpin where the catering area and stands usually are so still a good elevation change but also meaning that there is still space for people to spectate on the inside of the old hairpin on the banking

wedge
6th September 2008, 22:49
yeh i agree, i cant see them flattening it out because it wont br practicle. the way i see it the new loop will end at the top of the spectator banking on the inside of the old hairpin where the catering area and stands usually are so still a good elevation change but also meaning that there is still space for people to spectate on the inside of the old hairpin on the banking

That's what I was thinking.

It's relatively steep, not Paddock Hill or Eau Rouge steep. Anyone who's been to Donny will know what I'm getting at!

Rover V8
6th September 2008, 22:58
I'd reckon the elevation change will be pretty respectable- as you said, hardly Paddock Hill or Eau Rouge, but fairly steep. From the look of the plan though, it's going to take away quite a lot of the infield viewing area which is a bit of shame

SivoxII
8th September 2008, 01:02
.. would love to see the British GP hosted at Brands Hatch, that would be cool to see.

ShiftingGears
8th September 2008, 10:13
.. would love to see the British GP hosted at Brands Hatch, that would be cool to see.

Well - that would depend on whether you like Brands Hatch as it is.