PDA

View Full Version : Vista Admin rights

MrJan
4th September 2008, 14:26
Dear Daniel/Dave/Rollo/Mark :D
(or anyone else that usually solves techy problems)

I need to run some update for virus protection but can only do so if I'm logged onto an administrators account (it's my computer and I am). I've tried right clicking which usually lets you 'run as administrator' but that don't work. So how do I stop this bloody irritating message which makes no sense?

Daniel
4th September 2008, 17:42
Have you tried this?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/always-start-an-application-in-administrator-mode-on-windows-vista/

Have you also disabled UAC? (user account control)

MrJan
4th September 2008, 17:54
Disabled UAC??? Probably not :D

That other thing won't work (I think) because it's a link from a support website rather than something that I already have on the computer. I generally find that Vista is fine but the constant prompting does get on my wick a bit.

Daniel
4th September 2008, 21:18
Disabled UAC??? Probably not :D

That other thing won't work (I think) because it's a link from a support website rather than something that I already have on the computer. I generally find that Vista is fine but the constant prompting does get on my wick a bit.

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm use option 4 :)

Mark
5th September 2008, 08:43
That sort of thing drives me up the wall. At least on the Linux machines we have here, I can just log in as root and do whatever I like!

The Windows machines here are another matter, they are so locked down as to make them completely useless for anything basically. Yesterday I was asked to install and configure a video conference system on Windows, without admin rights. I was told that if I needed to do something adminey (that's not a word!) then I could walk down the hall and ask the guy to come and type in the admin password for me.

I went down the hall and told the guy that everything I needed to do needed admin rights, he didn't fancy sitting beside me for the whole time so gave me local admin. But it's all rather silly :s

Daniel
5th September 2008, 09:07
That sort of thing drives me up the wall. At least on the Linux machines we have here, I can just log in as root and do whatever I like!

The Windows machines here are another matter, they are so locked down as to make them completely useless for anything basically. Yesterday I was asked to install and configure a video conference system on Windows, without admin rights. I was told that if I needed to do something adminey (that's not a word!) then I could walk down the hall and ask the guy to come and type in the admin password for me.

I went down the hall and told the guy that everything I needed to do needed admin rights, he didn't fancy sitting beside me for the whole time so gave me local admin. But it's all rather silly :s

Yes it is a bit of a faff but it does help keep things secure. XP was pretty bloody insecure until SP2 and still isn't that great. Vista is just so much better in the way it deals with security. I just run Vista with full admin rights and UAC turned off. I wouldn't reccomend it for everyone but if you're confident that you're not going to make a bonehead mistake and install something you shouldn't or go to sites you shouldn't it's fine :)

MrJan
5th September 2008, 13:21
http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm use option 4 :)

Gave it a go but once I'd done it found that I couldn't connect to the internet and I don't have a clue how I set it up in the first place.

Think I'll just leave it and keep getting annoyed because it seems like too much effort to fix it :D