PDA

View Full Version : Loeb: A Rally God or an FIA Homologated Hero?

Saabaru
1st September 2008, 21:34
With Loeb ridiculously toping the leader board for so long, is the WRC homologating itself its own “Rally Super Hero” by allowing Citroen more power in Loeb’s car? It has been said by many people that Loeb’s cars seem to have more power. Even Sordo has problems with his car but Loeb seems to have a flawless machine. :confused:

urabus-denoS2000
1st September 2008, 21:37
Loeb is simply far better than his opponents and that is the only truth

cut the b.s.
1st September 2008, 22:13
With Loeb ridiculously toping the leader board for so long, is the WRC homologating itself its own “Rally Super Hero” by allowing Citroen more power in Loeb’s car? It has been said by many people that Loeb’s cars seem to have more power. Even Sordo has problems with his car but Loeb seems to have a flawless machine. :confused:

sure if you check under the hood of the cars you would see he is the only guy running a twin turbo 3.0L V6, I understand he got it from the Corolla a bloke called Donnelly in Ireland used to drive

A.F.F.
1st September 2008, 23:08

I love a good conspiracy theories but this is too much even for me.

shaitan
2nd September 2008, 02:50

some say mr. loeb has at least 500bhp with his c4.but i think fia have given him a jet engine.

WRCfan
2nd September 2008, 02:55
"Some say, he eats brains to steal other WRC drivers special powers and he is the test driver for santa's sleigh, all we know is he's called Loeb"

crazy
2nd September 2008, 03:01
Did you took your pills today ?

Saabaru
2nd September 2008, 03:43
Did you took your pills today ?
No but I did study my english. :)

tmx
2nd September 2008, 03:56
Loeb: A Rally God
lol

Saabaru
2nd September 2008, 04:00
some say mr. loeb has at least 500bhp with his c4.but i think fia have given him a jet engine.
Yeah, and someone said he calls it a turbo... Wow how did he slip that one past the scrutineers :rolleyes:

TKM
2nd September 2008, 04:20
Stick him in one of those POS Subarus for an event, then we'll know just how good he really is.

cosmicpanda
2nd September 2008, 04:25
If you are trying to claim that Loeb wins lots of rallies and therefore the FIA is somehow giving him an advantage that other drivers do not have, you need to offer a lot more evidence than you have so far.

If we look at your first post:

I don't know what you mean by "ridiculously topping the leaderboard for so long". Do you mean that he led Rally NZ from start to finish? He didn't. He's always done well in Rally Germany, and you can hardly claim that he's a success story in Finland when compared to Gronholm. Do you mean that he's won a lot of championships? Did the FIA give this same advantage to Tommi?

You seem to be basing this argument on hearsay, not all of which is true. If you look at the last day of the most recent Rally NZ, Loeb had trouble with his car setup in the morning and only won the rally due to the Fords having incredible problems.

As for the C4 perhaps being more powerful than other cars, if true this is not necessarily the FIA giving Loeb an advantage, but possibly just the Citroen team's skill at building engines.

tmx
2nd September 2008, 05:17
If you are trying to claim that Loeb wins lots of rallies and therefore the FIA is somehow giving him an advantage that other drivers do not have, you need to offer a lot more evidence than you have so far.

If we look at your first post:

I don't know what you mean by "ridiculously topping the leaderboard for so long". Do you mean that he led Rally NZ from start to finish? He didn't. He's always done well in Rally Germany, and you can hardly claim that he's a success story in Finland when compared to Gronholm. Do you mean that he's won a lot of championships? Did the FIA give this same advantage to Tommi?

You seem to be basing this argument on hearsay, not all of which is true. If you look at the last day of the most recent Rally NZ, Loeb had trouble with his car setup in the morning and only won the rally due to the Fords having incredible problems.

As for the C4 perhaps being more powerful than other cars, if true this is not necessarily the FIA giving Loeb an advantage, but possibly just the Citroen team's skill at building engines.
Don't forget the superb suspension.

The ability of the Citroen going around hairpin is what fascinate me and shows the biggest difference in engine. Sure certainly driving style come in to play, but still. The sound of the engine thrusting the car and delivering low rpm torque. On tarmac they flip it round "quicker than you can blink an eye", where as the Ford swung wide and slowly around and sounding lazy accelerating. Every hairpin they take time out of the Ford.

cosmicpanda
2nd September 2008, 05:27

The ability of the Citroen going around hairpin is what fascinate me and shows the biggest difference in engine. Sure certainly driving style come in to play, but still. The sound of the engine thrusting the car and delivering low rpm torque. On tarmac they flip it round "quicker than you can blink an eye", where as the Ford swung wide and slowly around and sounding lazy accelerating. Every hairpin they take time out of the Ford.

That may be so, but Saabaru has specifically mentioned power as the reason that Loeb is able to be so fast compared to his competitors. I'd be interested to see what he (?) has to offer in terms of concrete proof, and also I'd be interested to hear exactly what he meant by "ridiculously toping the leader board."

Needless to say, if he cannot give any evidence other than the impression that the C4 seems to have a powerful engine, it obviously doesn't follow that the FIA is purposely aiding Loeb to the detriment of his competitors.

jonkka
2nd September 2008, 05:47
While I do not believe in Saabaru's conspiracy theory at all, I think that TTE's turbo scandal should have taught observers to be suspicious, always.

Granted, TTE cheated only after they had lost competitiviness so it'd be more suspicious if Impreza suddenly started winning rallies than Citroen continuing to do that like they've done for years now.

N
2nd September 2008, 05:56
Just because Loeb is the fastest, it doesn't mean that he is cheating. I can clearly remember rally Cyprus 2006, I was standing on one corner, Loeb and Gronholm came thorugh amazingly fast and the rest were visibly slow. It's all down to the drivers and as far as I'm concerned, Ford and Citroen have same performance.

tmx
2nd September 2008, 06:06
it'd be more suspicious if Impreza suddenly started winning rallies than Citroen continuing to do that like they've done for years now.
I'm sad now, now there is even less hope for Petter.

Brother John
2nd September 2008, 06:25

I think also that the suspension from Citroën is superb and much stronger.
Just look att the " it was a good cut" concerning those stones without damage to the car.

Woodeye
2nd September 2008, 06:29
What a silly thread once again.

Loeb is just better driver than rest of the gang. That's it. He was fast already with Saxo and after getting the Xsara there was no match for him, especially on tarmac.

pino
2nd September 2008, 06:41
Loeb's a Rally God...no doubt about it ;)

ShiftingGears
2nd September 2008, 06:49
Loeb sucks because he hasn't won a WRC rally in a Group B or RWD car.

The facts are undeniable.

pino
2nd September 2008, 06:51

Blame his Mum not him :p :

Brother John
2nd September 2008, 06:54

:rotflmao: He is a PlayStation driver! You can see it on his cap. :D

Wim_Impreza
2nd September 2008, 07:25
Even as a Ford and Atkinson fan, I must say that Loeb is simply better and has more luck than his opponents.

Donney
2nd September 2008, 08:17
Loeb is just extremely good and that's it. I think FIA loves the idea of having a Schumacher figure in rallying, but I am sure there's no cheating involved, he is just the best out there.

AndyRAC
2nd September 2008, 08:34
If it's got wheels and an engine, Loeb will be quick in it. End of!!

turves
2nd September 2008, 08:56
He had the best teachers in the World. Wasn't 2003 his first full WRC season? Team-mates Messrs Colin McRae and King Carlos Sainz...

I am evil Homer
2nd September 2008, 09:00
It was the car (Xsara) - oh, no it wasn't!
It was the diffs, definitely the difds - oh...errrmmmm
Ah ha then it was defintiely the super special Michelins tyres - ahhh....err...

He and Daniel are simply the best combination out there. From the recce and making pace notes, the co-driver, the note adjustment to find extra speed through to Loeb's brilliance as a driver.

Viking
2nd September 2008, 09:28
I hate to say it but he is the best rallydriver ever! So now you can retire :)

But he is still very scruffy, not a real man :D

MikeD
2nd September 2008, 09:36

He and Daniel are simply the best combination out there. From the recce and making pace notes, the co-driver, the note adjustment to find extra speed through to Loeb's brilliance as a driver.

I second that....

Finni
2nd September 2008, 10:06
Just because Loeb is the fastest, it doesn't mean that he is cheating. I can clearly remember rally Cyprus 2006, I was standing on one corner, Loeb and Gronholm came thorugh amazingly fast and the rest were visibly slow. It's all down to the drivers and as far as I'm concerned, Ford and Citroen have same performance.

Probably yes, on gravel. On asphalt, especially in hairpins, there is probably some advantage to Citroen.

Finni
2nd September 2008, 10:26
It's right to say that Loeb is the best driver in modern time and possibly the best of all time. However he is not God and his godlike results are based on the fact that he has been driving the best car for eternity.

My notes:

2003: Not the fastest car (as fast as others) but, if my memory serves, it was more reliable than 206 and better than Subaru because Subaru was out of contention on asphalt (due to Pirelli).

2004: Not the fastest car (even slower than Subaru+Pirelli on gravel) but most reliable. Even though Subaru+Pirelli was obviously bit faster in most of the gravel rallies Citroen was much better due to asphalt ability (Michelins) and reliability. Petter lost 20-30 points due to reliability and 10-20 due to poor asphalt pace of Pirellis. As a whole Citroen had the best package.

2005: Only top-driver with Michelins. Michelin held its standard asphalt superiority and also got mega-step and consequently had upperhand since NZ. That is actually the first time that Seb had the fastest package even on gravel.

2006: Not the fastest car (still perhaps as fast as Focus) but Marcus didnt' have any possibilities to fight due to continual reliability problems. As a whole Citroen had easely the best package.

2007: This is the first year when Loeb's main opponent had as fast and as reliable car as Loeb. That's why championship was tight.

What can we say? When you put the best driver into the best car for five years results are boring. It would have been a lot more fun to see Loeb in Monte with inferior car like Pirelli-equipped Subaru pushing all crap out of that machine.

Saabaru
2nd September 2008, 15:47
Loeb's a Rally God...no doubt about it
No question about it... :p

He is a PlayStation driver! You can see it on his cap.
I've heard he doesn't sleep between each leg of a rally. He stays up all night practicing on his PlayStation and drinking Red Bulls'.

I hate to say it but he is the best rallydriver ever! So now you can retire

Ever? That would be a hard point to prove... Although I would love to see modern day drivers put in Group B cars to see if they could drive those hard to handle beasts. :D

Helstar
5th September 2008, 03:02
Citroen C4 engine (and previously, Xsara one) is the best. It has better acceleration, better top speed, and a good heavy sound :)

I don't think Loeb has a better engine compared to Sordo one.
In Monte in the places I was spectating they had equal speed (ok maybe not really equal reliability xD !).

The C4 engine seems to have a lot more hp than the others, Ford included. Don't ask me if they are cheating or somethin, I can't know it. But it's too much powerful, really. Sometimes they show on tv the RPM graphic in real time, and it keeps 6.000 rpm most of the time, and when it's the moment to switch a gear, it goes a lot over 6k (shouldn't be 'capped' to 6k ?).

In Monte after all the C4 passages my friends and me were always turning heads and looking in the eyes, like "omg, this C4 is a BEAST that eats the road !".

The metallic raw sound, the incredible speed they got before entering a corner, and then accelerating past it, the difference was unbelievable (much like comparing a N4 to a WRC).

Of course Loeb and Sordo have their own skill, that's not even in discussion. But I think that already with a Subaru, Loeb would be in deep trouble in tarmac. Also with a Ford, he would struggle a lot against Sordo :p !

Torsen
5th September 2008, 03:29
he's the best driver in rally history ... plus he's driving one of the best if not the best car in the field...

its not just power though... he's as consistent as time... if the whole Conrad thing wouldn't have happend he'd have another 10 points added to his current domination...

fedder, fedor, woods, rossi, jordan & loeb...

AndyRAC
5th September 2008, 07:58
he's the best driver in rally history ... plus he's driving one of the best if not the best car in the field...

its not just power though... he's as consistent as time... if the whole Conrad thing wouldn't have happend he'd have another 10 points added to his current domination...

fedder, fedor, woods, rossi, jordan & loeb...

Interesting comparison there; we always get told that Woods, Federer are the greatest sportsmen around, yet Rossi and Loeb are both up there with them. Is it anything to do with them being in Motorsport and 'minority' sports?

Daniel
5th September 2008, 09:49

So true :p

He's simply the best driver out there at the moment.

Daniel
5th September 2008, 09:50

Yeah the diffs argument was funny :D

I remember posting a thread saying why I thought the change wouldn't benefit the McRae's and Galli's of this world more than Loeb and people said I was crazy :p

jparker
5th September 2008, 11:15
I just want to mencion few factors related to rally team success:
- car engeneerig and testing.
- team strategy
- team work
- investment
- new technology
- driver & co-driver
.... and many more.
I'ts all that combined that keeps Citroen on top.
So, is Loeb the best? Without ground for comparison, we can't say that. Carlos Sainz is a good example for better skills evaluation.

s.loeb
11th September 2008, 00:05
The secret of Seb- Citroen Domination is very well hided. Probably this year the replacement of the old motor unit xu9 with the Ew10 is a key factor. But the basic factor is in suspension. French for decades can create the best package in all surfaces. And I have to underline that the myth of group-b Walter Röhrl in the last rally of Germany underlines the superiority of Citroen in suspension :)

WRXedUSA
11th September 2008, 01:55
I respect the man in the highest regard, he is a legend in our time, but my interest in the sport (since 1999) has dipped to lows beyond recovery.

I can't wait till WRC rules get tossed out the window (and replace it with something like R-A open class rules). GroupN is so much more exciting.

11th September 2008, 09:43
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sebastien-Loeb-Citroen-Xsara-WRC-ltd-edition_W0QQitemZ120291925766QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem120291925766&_trkparms=72%3A984%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C2 40%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://madgraf.republika.pl/022.jpg

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/artrallyprintsmadgraf