PDA

View Full Version : Change the shades Latvala.

A.F.F.
1st September 2008, 20:14
If you look at the incar footage from Finland and now recently from New Zealand, you can CLEARLY see those BIG rocks Latvala drove in to. I mean they were huge and it's unbelievable he couldn't see them. Especially at NZ where he didn't even have much pace after he made a U-turn. (sorry I don't have links)

Now, does young Latvala have some weird astigmatism that he can't see the radious 15 meters right in front of him? Or is he looking so much further the road he misses what's right under his nose? Or does those goggles he is having somehow twist his vision he can't see the rocks on road?

Or is he just so fast that when he reaches the warpspeed, he'll only see the wormhole and nothing else? ;)

SubaruNorway
1st September 2008, 20:18
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=310&page=1&featureid=706&desc=New%20Zealand%202008:%20Jari-Matti%20off

Can't really see the actual rock before he drives over it in that, but maybe he was trying to knock it out of the way for Mikko....

Roy
1st September 2008, 20:51
http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=310&page=1&featureid=706&desc=New%20Zealand%202008:%20Jari-Matti%20off

Can't really see the actual rock before he drives over it in that, but maybe he was trying to knock it out of the way for Mikko....

I can't see either.

SubaruNorway
1st September 2008, 21:00
I can't see either.

It's at 2:01 i think i saw it on the review on Dave, it was a fotball size i think...

A.F.F.
1st September 2008, 23:05
The editing prevents to see in that clip. The incar footage I saw from MTV3 MAX showed whole spin and the U-turn from first person view. The amazing thing was that Latvala noticed the rock when he passed it the second time, after he already hit it :mark: And yes, it was a size of football or more.

Viktory
1st September 2008, 23:33
Saw it too, looked very clumsy. Only exlpanation I can see for it is if he did what SubaruNorway said and tried to clear it for Hirvonen. Better ways to do that though...

Buzz Lightyear
1st September 2008, 23:54
I can't see either. but you had not the benefit of doing a 2 pass recce at 30mph.

DonJippo
2nd September 2008, 00:03
The editing prevents to see in that clip. The incar footage I saw from MTV3 MAX showed whole spin and the U-turn from first person view. The amazing thing was that Latvala noticed the rock when he passed it the second time, after he already hit it :mark: And yes, it was a size of football or more.

Anyways it does not matter at all, they damaged the car already on the first hit against the bank where the stone was.

Torsen
2nd September 2008, 00:13
but you had not the benefit of doing a 2 pass recce at 30mph.

also, what about the safety car?

DonJippo
2nd September 2008, 00:18
but you had not the benefit of doing a 2 pass recce at 30mph.

Stone in NZ was up in the bank, does not matter how many times you drive it through you can't find them all.

DonJippo
2nd September 2008, 00:18
also, what about the safety car?

No such thing in gravel rallies for some years now.

playmo
2nd September 2008, 00:43
It seemed that he didn't think it was a rock (hence could drive over it) wich obviously leads one to think that his sight is not all that good.
But lets consider too that he tends to crack under pressure, and maybe that affects even his vision.

anto-t
2nd September 2008, 00:50
the glasses he wears have a yellow tint in them... it helps to bring out outlines more...

but maybe he is more blind than he thinks :P

tmx
2nd September 2008, 05:57
If you look at the incar footage from Finland and now recently from New Zealand, you can CLEARLY see those BIG rocks Latvala drove in to. I mean they were huge and it's unbelievable he couldn't see them. Especially at NZ where he didn't even have much pace after he made a U-turn. (sorry I don't have links)

I agree, those rocks were super big and clearly seen, maybe hard to avoid at high speed but this is recovering from the spin. Maybe the car is already damaged at the point he is acceling so he couldn't steer off to avoid, but also partly his mistake to be panic and accel too quick, so I think it is possible for him to avoid it, then maybe possible able to drag to the end and get a low position rather than retired. Remind me of how Dani crash into the curb in the non-competitive special stage years ago. It's all over now to speculate too much.

I have no doubt Jari will get over the frustration period just like Dani experienced his. It's just how long this will take we don't know, but I have no doubt he'll mature and find his groove again. I felt so, so bad for him when they interviewed him after the crash and he said "I am very sorry for what I have done."

Simmi
2nd September 2008, 19:05
Didn't he run over a bit of his front bumper too? I also thought this was pretty unbelievable, and that it wasn't his spin, but him driving over the debris that caused his retirement. I suppose he must have had some thoughts about Mikko following behind him in the stage but you dont just drive straight into things.

Whatever his excuse is, this is right up there with the silliest mistakes of all time.

DonJippo
2nd September 2008, 22:22
and that it wasn't his spin, but him driving over the debris that caused his retirement.

You can hear co-driver saying before he drives over the debris that they get low oil pressure warning, so damage was done already on first hit.

Simmi
3rd September 2008, 20:02
You can hear co-driver saying before he drives over the debris that they get low oil pressure warning, so damage was done already on first hit.

Thanks for the info DJ. This is why it is good to have a forum full of different nationalities.

Does anyone know what JML spent his summer break doing? Because he came back and started throwing it at the scenery 3 for 3.

Xsara Fan
4th September 2008, 08:53
Don`t touch JML!!! He`s doing great job :) ))))

Go Citroen! JML helps you!

pentti
4th September 2008, 12:23
Thanks for the info DJ. This is why it is good to have a forum full of different nationalities.

Does anyone know what JML spent his summer break doing? Because he came back and started throwing it at the scenery 3 for 3.He went to be coached by Rob Wilson,who is one of worst drivers in the world.I am afraid that these young drivers are easily effected.

Roy
4th September 2008, 12:39
He went to be coached by Rob Wilson,who is one of worst drivers in the world.I am afraid that these young drivers are easily effected.

Now is Rob Wilson the bad guy? How long is he coached by him?
Sorry, this is a very bad post.

Well, have a nice birthday.

jonas_mcrae
5th September 2008, 04:06
He went to be coached by Rob Wilson,who is one of worst drivers in the world.I am afraid that these young drivers are easily effected.

ups... looks like good old beloved pentti doesnt like competition

Addicted
9th September 2008, 14:21

If you are so great coach as you say, then why didn`t JML visit at your school no more?

And what parts of JML`s driving needs to be improved?

COD
9th September 2008, 20:49
And what parts of JML`s driving needs to be improved?

Hmm, like staying on the road for the whole duration of the event?