PDA

View Full Version : Greasy laptop screen

Valve Bounce
30th January 2007, 21:13
I have to use the internet connection near the kitchen and now my laptop screen has some grease on it. What's the best way to clean it without damaging the surface?

(Sorry, but I couldn't find the software/hardware thread. )

Erki
30th January 2007, 22:07
Advice on the same thing would come handy to me too. :\ I have two LCD screens here and both of them look like someone has defecated on them. :s

vanillagirl85
30th January 2007, 22:19
use a soft cotton cloth. apply rubbing alcohol to the cloth and wipe the screen

this is actually a really rad guide on cleaning your computer: http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

Valve Bounce
30th January 2007, 22:30
use a soft cotton cloth. apply rubbing alcohol to the cloth and wipe the screen

this is actually a really rad guide on cleaning your computer: http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

Many, many thanks babe. :up:

The only downside to the directions is that I love to eat my Natural Citrus Jellies, nuts, sugared ginger, and even potatoe crisps while I am on the computer. :bigcry:
I sometimes even eat chocolates :(

One last question: is rubbing alcohol methylated spirits? Will Vodka do?

johnski
31st January 2007, 08:47
I realy dont know..! sorry i cant help you out with this

Daniel
31st January 2007, 09:38
Many, many thanks babe. :up:

The only downside to the directions is that I love to eat my Natural Citrus Jellies, nuts, sugared ginger, and even potatoe crisps while I am on the computer. :bigcry:
I sometimes even eat chocolates :(

Vanillagirl's reply was only half of it :)

Alcohol won't break down the fatty deposits on the screen. You need to use something a bit stronger than that. A weak kitchen tabletop cleaner will do the job just fine and isn't so harsh that your screen will start to melt. First spray the cleaner onto a cloth and then wipe across the screen with a flat hand so as not to put too much pressure on the screen. Then when you're happy put some Isopropyl alcohol onto a different cloth and give it a wipedown with that. The alcohol will take away any smear marks and should break down any cleaner still left on the screen.

Daniel
31st January 2007, 09:39
I realy dont know..! sorry i cant help you out with this
Then why reply to this thread?

Viktory
31st January 2007, 15:45

Why on earth would you want to waste Vodka on cleaning a screen? :p

tinchote
31st January 2007, 23:47
Valve, if it makes you feel better, mine has not only grease but milk thrown up by the baby. I'm still amazed that the keyboard has been working for more than a year since, with the only "side effect" that some keys were sticky for a while :D

Valve Bounce
1st February 2007, 04:23
Vanillagirl's reply was only half of it :)

Alcohol won't break down the fatty deposits on the screen. You need to use something a bit stronger than that. A weak kitchen tabletop cleaner will do the job just fine and isn't so harsh that your screen will start to melt. First spray the cleaner onto a cloth and then wipe across the screen with a flat hand so as not to put too much pressure on the screen. Then when you're happy put some Isopropyl alcohol onto a different cloth and give it a wipedown with that. The alcohol will take away any smear marks and should break down any cleaner still left on the screen.

Are we talking about Windex?

Daniel
1st February 2007, 08:38
Windex is a window cleaner ;) Spray and wipe should do the trick :)

agwiii
1st February 2007, 12:44
Windex is a window cleaner ;) Spray and wipe should do the trick :)

Windex should be safe, however, check your owner's manual. There was a recent discussion on PCMAG about some cleaners causing permanent damage to LCD displays. YMMV

Daniel
1st February 2007, 13:59
Yes but windex isn't aggressive enough :)

Like I said don't spray directly onto the screen with the spray and wipe. It's what we did in the PC service centre I used to work in and there were never any problems. Of course don't go using an oven or cooktop cleaner as they are a lot more aggressive.

agwiii
1st February 2007, 14:54
Yes but windex isn't aggressive enough :)

Like I said don't spray directly onto the screen with the spray and wipe. It's what we did in the PC service centre I used to work in and there were never any problems. Of course don't go using an oven or cooktop cleaner as they are a lot more aggressive.

I'll look for that thread on permanent damage and post it if I can find it. It may also have been in one of the Lockergnome newsletters.

agwiii
1st February 2007, 17:49
I'll look for that thread on permanent damage and post it if I can find it. It may also have been in one of the Lockergnome newsletters.

Daniel: Here it is: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127531/article.html

Hotbikerchic33
2nd February 2007, 08:18
you can buy a proper computer cloth for cleaning your monitor! and it works really well ;)

Daniel
2nd February 2007, 08:20
Yes but they don't really break down grease :) All they are is Isopropyl wipes

Hotbikerchic33
2nd February 2007, 08:27
Yes but they don't really break down grease :) All they are is Isopropyl wipes

But at least they dont harm ur monitor! i personally wouldn't have my pc/laptop in my kitchen but i know many do :(