PDA

View Full Version : Forum karting 2009

Mark
27th August 2008, 16:49
Many of you will remember the forum karting events which we held in 05 and 06. Well there is a proposal to bring it back again for 2009.
The event would be in Birmingham on the 10th January 2009 to coincide with the Autosport show.
I am posting this thread to guage likely interest in taking part. We need at least 10 people to make it viable, going off previous years the entry fee it likely to be around £40-£50.
Please reply to this thread if you are interested in taking part.

GridGirl
27th August 2008, 17:30
I might attend, although when we had a work's do at Teamworks earlier this year they had to stop the racing as theives were trying to break in upstairs! Doh! Lovely and safe part of town. :p

J4MIE
27th August 2008, 19:43
I suppose I'll have to come and defend my title once more.... :p :

But do I be "eco friendly" and get the train which is £96 for 6 hours journey or fly taking 1h 10m for £47? Let me think about it...................

:bounce:

A.F.F.
27th August 2008, 20:18
Can it be done in Helsinki, Kart 'in Club ? ;)

J4MIE
27th August 2008, 20:28
Easyjet start flying from Helsinki soon, you've no excuse not to come :D

Daniel
27th August 2008, 21:10
I'm in. But please don't go for a place with electric karts :mark:

GridGirl
27th August 2008, 21:23
Sorry Daniel but Teamworks use electric Karts.

Daniel
27th August 2008, 21:33
Sorry Daniel but Teamworks use electric Karts.
That might be a "count me out" thing then.

Is it possible to see if we could do it with some proper karts as the idea of driving to Birmingham to drive an electric kart doesn't really do much for me.

I know it's winter and it's the UK and everything but I'd rather race outside and freeze my bollocks off than drive an electric kart :)

J4MIE
27th August 2008, 21:43
Ok so list so far:

Mark
Gridgirl
Me
Daniel

:D

Iain
28th August 2008, 06:34
Aye why not. :D Runner up in 2006 and I'm 10kg lighter than I was then, so 2009 will be my year. To steal a phrase from a countryman of mine. :p :

Daniel - these karts are good. :) I was sceptical at first, but they're very quick machines. Really good in there at night too, as it gets damp outside and the surface gets quite slippery. I was doing Scandinavian flicks round the final bend lap after lap. :D

Mark
28th August 2008, 08:06
That might be a "count me out" thing then.

Is it possible to see if we could do it with some proper karts as the idea of driving to Birmingham to drive an electric kart doesn't really do much for me.

I know it's winter and it's the UK and everything but I'd rather race outside and freeze my bollocks off than drive an electric kart :)

The idea is to have a good craic with friends, it shouldn't be taken that seriously that the method of propulsion acutally matters.

Donney
28th August 2008, 08:40
Enjoy it people!!!

I'd be in if I won the lottery (fingers crossed :D )

janneppi
28th August 2008, 09:09
Can it be done in Helsinki, Kart 'in Club ? ;)
I was going to suggest to have it at Le Manse, but that's gone out of business.

Dave B
28th August 2008, 09:56
I'm in. But please don't go for a place with electric karts :mark:
They're surprisingly good, although you really miss the engine noise.

Mark
28th August 2008, 10:00
http://www.grandprixkarting.co.uk/index.html

http://www.grandprixkarting.co.uk/gallery_2z.jpg

This venue has been suggested to me. They do a package for £50 where you get a qualifying session followed by a 30 minute race. And they are petrol to keep Daniel happy :p

What do you think? The race package sounds better than the short races TeamWorks did, and it'll be a change. It is outside, yet, TeamWorks is always so cold you might as well be outside ;)

We need at least 8 drivers (and no more than 17 but I doubt we'll face that problem!)

Mark
28th August 2008, 10:00
http://www.grandprixkarting.co.uk/index.html

This venue has been suggested to me. They do a package for £50 where you get a qualifying session followed by a 30 minute race. And they are petrol to keep Daniel happy :p

What do you think? The race package sounds better than the short races TeamWorks did, and it'll be a change. It is outside, yet, TeamWorks is always so cold you might as well be outside ;)

Daniel
28th August 2008, 10:18
That's what I mean. I don't go to see a rally surely for the speed. It's the smells and sounds that make it great. At the end of the day if people are happy with electric karts then that's fine with me. It's just that electric karting wouldn't be my first choice

GridGirl
28th August 2008, 11:03
Birmingham Wheels is technically closer to the NEC although it's more of a drive out from town. We didn't like Teamworks when we did it at work in February, scrubby place, bad food and the possibility of all our things getting stolen didn't go down well. I don't think I'd do an outdoor event in January. It'd be too cold for me, well that not that it would make much difference anyway because I was rubbish.

wedge
28th August 2008, 11:42
Never knew about this annual karting thing. I should check out the 'chit chat' section more often!

I'd be interesed!

Sunday might be more do-able for me.

Mark
28th August 2008, 11:45
If we did go for an outdoor event would something later in the year, perhaps March or April be more suitable? Or would it not being connected to Autosport rule it out due to it being too far to go for just karting?

I want to avoid the situation which is already happening i.e. "I'm not going because of ..."

turves
28th August 2008, 12:58
A provisional yes from me, date/work pending...

Iain
28th August 2008, 15:08
I want to avoid the situation which is already happening i.e. "I'm not going because of ..."

....Daniel? :p :

Either teamworks or outdoors then, whatever is fine with me. :)

J4MIE
28th August 2008, 16:05
Whatever is ok with me, but having it on the autosport weekend is probably better as there's nothing much else happening at that time of year anyway. But I don't think I'd be going to the show again anyway, so makes no difference to me really :p : Outside race would be fun if it's icy :D I'd probably moan about the cold beforehand but doing it would warm you up :up:

Only other thing I'd say is to have it slightly earlier than previously so we don't have to rush the Big Wok ;)

MrJan
28th August 2008, 17:39
I'm tempted but think it might be out of my budget :mark:

Daniel
28th August 2008, 18:17
I'm tempted but think it might be out of my budget :mark:
Save up then mate :) Forum meet ups are serious fun. You'll hardly ever find a better bunch of people and also be able to talk about motorsport with likeminded people at the same time :) I've been to Finland twice for the WRC event and although it's a great even and worth the cost purely for the event it's also worth the cost purely for the great company :up:

MrJan
28th August 2008, 18:25
Save up then mate :) Forum meet ups are serious fun. You'll hardly ever find a better bunch of people and also be able to talk about motorsport with likeminded people at the same time :) I've been to Finland twice for the WRC event and although it's a great even and worth the cost purely for the event it's also worth the cost purely for the great company :up:

I might well save up but by the time you consider fuel, hotel, food & drink plus the karting it takes away a lot of money which could be spent on other stuff, like crack and women :D Seriously though it'll depend purely on bank balance and football fixtures for me, there's no way I'm missing an Exeter game to go karting with a bunch of crazies :p :

Put me on the maybe list.

Daniel
28th August 2008, 18:55
I might well save up but by the time you consider fuel, hotel, food & drink plus the karting it takes away a lot of money which could be spent on other stuff, like crack and women :D Seriously though it'll depend purely on bank balance and football fixtures for me, there's no way I'm missing an Exeter game to go karting with a bunch of crazies :p :

Put me on the maybe list.
Football over karting. Isn't that a bannable offence?

If possible it would be good if the event was held at a reasonable time in the afternoon so people could possibly get back home without the need for the expense of a hotel room OR Mark could organise it for a date where Travelodge have some cheaply priced rooms nearby and we could book in advance :)

MrJan
28th August 2008, 19:01

If possible it would be good if the event was held at a reasonable time in the afternoon so people could possibly get back home without the need for the expense of a hotel room OR Mark could organise it for a date where Travelodge have some cheaply priced rooms nearby and we could book in advance :)

Football seems to be winning most battles at the minute. It's a tough choice between motor sport and football, although 2 of the 3 home league games I missed last season were down to motor racing. But when it comes down to a choice of going without forum or going without football, you'll be seeing a little 'banned' notice under my name :D

The Travelodge idea is good but obviously gives Mark even more to do when organising, I'm sure he'll be fine with that though :p : :D

Daniel
28th August 2008, 19:12
If we did go for an outdoor event would something later in the year, perhaps March or April be more suitable? Or would it not being connected to Autosport rule it out due to it being too far to go for just karting?

I think that would be a great idea. I think as long as the event is on at a good time and somewhere that is central to most people and it is promoted with a sticky in all the popular forums it should get numbers. Perhaps a sticky in the TC, WRC, British Rally and F1 forums would be a good way of attracting people. I've met lots of people on the forum and there is only one person who I wouldn't happily meet up with again so the more the merrier I say.

P.S Grid Girl, doesn't Ibby drag you to obscenely cold places in Winter anyway? :p Grow some balls (in a figurative sense) woman! :p

Daniel
28th August 2008, 19:13
The idea is to have a good craic with friends, it shouldn't be taken that seriously that the method of propulsion acutally matters.
Janneppi and AFF. I'm definitely up for some karting if I go to NORF this coming year :up:

Drew
28th August 2008, 20:46

It is when the football's as bad as Exeter :\

I'd love to come, but I won't even be in the country :(

GridGirl
28th August 2008, 20:53
P.S Grid Girl, doesn't Ibby drag you to obscenely cold places in Winter anyway? :p Grow some balls (in a figurative sense) woman! :p

Yes but he also has to put up with my constant moaning and shivering because of it. :p Race of Champions last year wasn't a good experience for me, God know's why we've booked up for this year. :s My always being cold and having the heaters on on my car during every journey might go someway to explaining my car's lack of Aircon. I'm already scared to ask how much that will cost me when I book it in for its next service in a month or so. And yes I know it's my own fault. :(

Daniel
28th August 2008, 21:22
Yes but he also has to put up with my constant moaning and shivering because of it. :p Race of Champions last year wasn't a good experience for me, God know's why we've booked up for this year. :s My always being cold and having the heaters on on my car during every journey might go someway to explaining my car's lack of Aircon. I'm already scared to ask how much that will cost me when I book it in for its next service in a month or so. And yes I know it's my own fault. :(

Fair point really. The RoC was NOT good for me either. I don't think I've ever been so cold. Stupidly I sat in my seat all the time even though we were there from the time the gates opened till when it all finished. Man I was frigging cold......

MrJan
28th August 2008, 21:22
It is when the football's as bad as Exeter :\

Don't even get me started on that one :p :

Anyway as someone who was born in Exeter and lives in Exeter I am proud to support my local team.

Vez
28th August 2008, 23:52
I wouldn't mind doing the karting again, it was good fun. Indoors or outdoors is fine with me.

Though can we not do it on 'ice' this time :p : as I haven't got the weight to stick to the track round the corners :uhoh:

J4MIE
29th August 2008, 00:02
I wouldn't mind doing the karting again, it was good fun. Indoors or outdoors is fine with me.

Though can we not do it on 'ice' this time :p : as I haven't got the weight to stick to the track round the corners :uhoh:

Pah, think of the bacon butties you'd have to have as part of your training :D

pino
29th August 2008, 06:11

Can't wait to get my revenge on you :hmph: I still haven't forgotten how cruel you were, taking the win from me in the last corner, after I was leading from the start and denied me the access to the final :bigcry: ;)

Anyway in or out it's ok for me, as long it's not too close to WRC event in Norway

Mark
29th August 2008, 07:49
Well perhaps we can do it as a standalone event this time. Lets say (for example) mid-march; ok won't be great weather but the worst of the winter cold should have passed. Hold it on the outside track in Birmingham, at e.g. 1pm, so those who don't want to stay over don't have to.

So we basically have the two choices. An indoor event in conjuction with Autosport in January at TeamWorks karting.

Or an outdoor event in mid-March?

[Although if it is in mid-March we are going to have to be careful not to clash with any other events!]

J4MIE
29th August 2008, 10:13
As long as it is not the first 2 weeks of Feb I am good to go anytime :) To be honest I think I prefer the March option as it has always been really rushed in the past which is just extra hassle. I wouldn't be going to Autosport so makes no difference to me if it's that weekend or not.

J4MIE
29th August 2008, 11:45
Daniel if you don't want to drive you could be photographer for us :p :

Mark
29th August 2008, 12:05
21st March looks decent. Week after WRC Cyprus and the week before the first round of the Formula 1 season.

The outdoor venue also allows us more flexibility to choose what sort of event we would like too, depending on how many people sign up.

pino
29th August 2008, 12:34
21st March is ok for me :up:

Mark
29th August 2008, 13:14
http://www.grandprixkarting.co.uk/pricelist.php

This details the prices and choices of events we could do. Some require more people than others. But they all look good.

Note that I think the prices are ex-VAT.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th August 2008, 13:56

I want to avoid the situation which is already happening i.e."I'm not going because of ..."

Girlfriend! :p

Sounds like a laugh, although it's been a while since I last went karting. Maybe.

pino
29th August 2008, 15:00
Girlfriend! :p

Time to find a new girl then ;) :p :

dwf1
5th September 2008, 10:09
sounds so cool but don't know if I could do it due to being in 3rd year of uni and all the stupid work to be done

Mark
6th September 2008, 10:51
Depends where you are. Uni 3rd years are mental.

dwf1
6th September 2008, 10:53
i'm at stafford uni so about an hour from birmingham

MrJan
6th September 2008, 11:07
I loved my third year at Uni. I only had one lecture a week and that was in a module about film so we pretty much watched a film, talked about it for a bit and then went down the pub. Everyone talks about all the work you have to put in but I just seem to remember spending most of my time drinking and watching the world cup. Happy days :up:

GridGirl
6th September 2008, 11:29
Sounds like a useful degree to have then. :p

dwf1
6th September 2008, 11:33
Yeah wish my final year would be like that. My degree is automotive eng though so could be tough

MrJan
6th September 2008, 12:17
Sounds like a useful degree to have then. :p

Surprisingly any degree can be useful because people hear the word 'DEGREE' and think that you are clever. What they don't know is that to get my 2:2 in Journalism (oh yes, quality all the way for me :D ) I spent the majority of my time either drinking, playing on the PS2 or drinking and playing on the PS2. Also lost quite a bit of dissertation time on this bloody forum :D

Naturally I'm now putting the qualification to good use in the construction industry ;)

PuddleJumper
6th September 2008, 23:05
http://www.grandprixkarting.co.uk/pricelist.php

This details the prices and choices of events we could do. Some require more people than others. But they all look good.

Note that I think the prices are ex-VAT.
A good choice of options to suit all levels of skill and experience. Quite like the idea of an endurance race involving driver changes. Could be a lot of fun! I'm definitely interested.

J4MIE
7th September 2008, 03:13
I think it'd be best to keep it individual, though I am not sure about having to drive for 30 minutes...wasn't teamworks 15 mins or something and I was knackered after that and glad to get a rest! :s Although I guess adrenaline would keep you going until the chequered flag :bounce:

dwf1
7th September 2008, 10:13
30mins is nothing! try doing an hour in two-stoke 100cc karts round Rye House.....now thats tough

Daniel
7th September 2008, 10:41
I think it'd be best to keep it individual, though I am not sure about having to drive for 30 minutes...wasn't teamworks 15 mins or something and I was knackered after that and glad to get a rest! :s Although I guess adrenaline would keep you going until the chequered flag :bounce:
30 Minutes isn't too bad :) You'll be aching afterwards though. 30 minutes on the twin karts would be an absolute killer though.

dwf1
7th September 2008, 11:08
yeh an half an hour race is enough time

Sleeper
7th September 2008, 17:22
If its at Birmigham Wheels I'm in, if I've got the money at the time. Used to marshal at that track about 6 years ago and running on the full length course with twin engine Karts is quite impressive. :up:

martinbalmer
8th September 2008, 16:59
The 21st March is almost my birthday so that's a good excuse to take part!

Wheels sounds good and it would be nice to try somewhere different.

"Wheels 30" prices with VAT:
45mph singles: £43 = £50.53
75mph twins: £53 = £62.28

Daniel
8th September 2008, 18:58
If its at Birmigham Wheels I'm in, if I've got the money at the time. Used to marshal at that track about 6 years ago and running on the full length course with twin engine Karts is quite impressive. :up:
The only problem you'll find is that Mark will need a deposit sometime in advance of the event so it won't be a matter of having the money on the day and turning up :) Sleeper, do they have stewards there? I just want to know so if I lose I can accuse them of being anti-Daniel when I don't win :p

Martin, good to hear another person is in :up:

I take it we're only going to go for the singles for the race? I'd be happy to go twins but I understand if people only have the cash or the inclination to go with the singles :up:

dwf1
8th September 2008, 19:07
can't see why not twins

Daniel
8th September 2008, 19:18
can't see why not twins
I think cost will be a problem for a lot of people. It seems to have been in the past.

dwf1
8th September 2008, 19:29
I think cost will be a problem for a lot of people. It seems to have been in the past.

True

Mark
9th September 2008, 08:22
Well they are more expensive. Even the £50 is I fear already too much for many. Besides the twins are probably a bit too powerful! The likelyhood is that I will require full payment a few months in advance. I very much doubt pay on the day will be an option. If only because we will need to confirm numbers.

J4MIE
9th September 2008, 10:28
Yes £50 is a lot of money especially in these harsh economic times :p : Although to be honest if we're not having to stay overnight that will be a big saving, and I'd still like to have somewhere to go afterwards to relax and recover for a bit rather than heading straight home.

J4MIE
9th September 2008, 10:35
Also I am sure 45mph is more than enough for me..... :eek: :p :

Sleeper
9th September 2008, 17:46
The only problem you'll find is that Mark will need a deposit sometime in advance of the event so it won't be a matter of having the money on the day and turning up :) Sleeper, do they have stewards there? I just want to know so if I lose I can accuse them of being anti-Daniel when I don't win :p

Martin, good to hear another person is in :up:

I take it we're only going to go for the singles for the race? I'd be happy to go twins but I understand if people only have the cash or the inclination to go with the singles :up:

In that case I'll be able to make a final decision in a few weeks, I've just started college and it depends on whether I can get a grant or not to cover course fees.

Just marshals there, no stewards last time I checked, though they have a "clark of the course". He's usually the boss.

J4MIE
19th December 2008, 00:04
Just bringing this back up as I was reminded of it when I caught a bit of Darren Campbell's son practicing rather slowly for his first race.............hopefully we can get this organised shortly after Christmas :D :up:

Mark
19th December 2008, 07:53
Just bringing this back up as I was reminded of it when I caught a bit of Darren Campbell's son practicing rather slowly for his first race.............hopefully we can get this organised shortly after Christmas :D :up:

Hopefully! We all need to agree on a venue first. We had a mini-forum meeting - well, me, pino and RallyJumper :p . and thought that a more northerly location might be suitable due to the number of people coming from the north of England and Scotland etc.

J4MIE
15th March 2009, 20:54
I presume we'd not be looking to do it on 21st March afterall? :p :

We have to get some organising done :bounce:

Daniel
15th March 2009, 21:10
Well I have a job now so I can afford to go :D

donKey jote
15th March 2009, 21:23
those who can't afford it could organise a forum farting 2009 instead :erm:

As always I'd love to go but I haven't been able to find a good enough excuse :p :
Unless of course you organise it somewhere like here (http://www.rs-kartcenter.de/start_e.htm), where I could slip in and out unnoticed :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Daniel
15th March 2009, 22:00
Tbh I'm just happy arranging a day where a few of us hardy forumers meet up and have a bit of a day at a karting circuit if there aren't enough people to justify a group booking.

I'll need some warning though as I had about 15 kilos I need to lose first :mark:

Mark in Oshawa
16th March 2009, 02:22
I can afford the 50 pounds...the plane ticket and hotel will break me however...have fun boys and girls..

Mark
16th March 2009, 08:36
I presume we'd not be looking to do it on 21st March afterall? :p :

We have to get some organising done :bounce:

I'd guess not :p . I was planning to organise something in the new year but was rather caught up buying a house and wot not :p

J4MIE
16th March 2009, 09:09
Plenty time before you buy the next one to get sorted then ;)

raybak
16th March 2009, 09:17
When's the Aussie one. Should it happen at Port Melbourne during the GP week?

Ray

Mark
16th March 2009, 09:36
When's the Aussie one. Should it happen at Port Melbourne during the GP week?

Ray

From experience you're too late. these things take several months to organise properly.

Storm
17th March 2009, 05:53
bought a house eh, well done to you Mr Admin :)

I would love to be a part of this meet (if it happens) unfortunately like MiO said, the plane ticket will be the deal breaker...and the visa and stuff of-course...donks you cannot have an excuse its in your back-yard!

I did see a BA commercial yesterday saying some special rates to London were something like 10k Rs ~ $200 ~ £125, last time I flew to the UK back in 04 my ticket was more than 3 times that amount :\

raikk
17th March 2009, 07:34
Bring the event to Greg Moore Raceway (CARTBC) near Vancouver where u guys can actually drive real karts ;)

J4MIE
17th March 2009, 10:07
Storm airlines are desperate for passengers at the moment, there are some great deals to be had but you still have to be very very lucky ;) Would be great if you could make it though :up:

Daniel
17th March 2009, 17:52
Storm airlines are desperate for passengers at the moment, there are some great deals to be had but you still have to be very very lucky ;) Would be great if you could make it though :up:
Definitely :) Would be awesome if you came for the karting Storm :up:

Mark
18th March 2009, 08:59
Definitely :) Would be awesome if you came for the karting Storm :up:

Find a date and venue and organise it then ;)

Daniel
18th March 2009, 17:32
Find a date and venue and organise it then ;)
K we'll go here and we'll do it when I say we will ;)

http://www.thecircuit.co.uk/

donKey jote
18th March 2009, 20:41
donks you cannot have an excuse its in your back-yard!
you haven't met the missus :arrows:
it's hard enough to find an excuse to go karting with my son more than twice a year (our birthdays :bandit: ) :mark:

however, if I were to explain that it's a world class event this time, with people flying in from India and all ... :D

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif