PDA

View Full Version : Rob Smedley

ioan
24th August 2008, 21:36
There are people who are rarely or never mentioned in F1, these are the mechanics and the engineers.

I was impressed today by Rob Smedley's (Felipe's engineer for those who don't know him) behavior!
He hugged Felipe, kissed him on the helmet, and than hugged him again, and all this in a display of immense happiness.

He must be for sure a huge part in Massa's rise to the top in F1. They seem to get along very very well.

I don't know how often happens that drivers and engineers are a perfect match in doing their jobs, but this is clearly the case for this duo.

Sleeper
24th August 2008, 22:02
Smedley deserves a lot of credit for working with Massa and helping him become a top line driver. Remember the first half of 06, Massa was very eratic but after Smedley was moved into the position of his race engineer and worked very closely with him to help iron out the mistakes he started winning.

wedge
24th August 2008, 23:17
There are people who are rarely or never mentioned in F1, these are the mechanics and the engineers.

I was impressed today by Rob Smedley's (Felipe's engineer for those who don't know him) behavior!
He hugged Felipe, kissed him on the helmet, and than hugged him again, and all this in a display of immense happiness.

He must be for sure a huge part in Massa's rise to the top in F1. They seem to get along very very well.

I don't know how often happens that drivers and engineers are a perfect match in doing their jobs, but this is clearly the case for this duo.

JV and Jock Clear, Schumi and Chris Dyer springs to mind.

Happens quite a lot in racing.

In NASCAR I can think of Tony Stewart and Greg 'Zippy' Zippadelli, Jimmie Johnson and Chad Knaus, Jeff Gordon and Ray Evernham.

Valve Bounce
24th August 2008, 23:46
During the race, the commentators mentioned that Massa's improved driving was due a lot to mentoring from SchM.

wedge
25th August 2008, 00:10
During the race, the commentators mentioned that Massa's improved driving was due a lot to mentoring from SchM.

Shades of JYS mentoring Cevert, both knew their time in F1 were almost up and wanted to pass on advice.

Storm
25th August 2008, 08:51
Smedley was mentioned atleast 3/4 times in our race commentry though.

pino
25th August 2008, 09:11

The same did italian commentators :p :

Valve Bounce
25th August 2008, 10:02
To be fair, there's a helluva lot to the input from SchM than just mentoring and/or advice. There is guidance, and how drive faster, and I am sure that is what the input from SchM is all about. It may also be what Kimi sees as something working against him - this is from my view and may or may not be the case.

But if I were sailing, and the ex-champ spends a lot of time with other guys in the club but ignores me, then I would kinda feel left out. It would affect my decision making during races as well as boat set-up.

ioan
25th August 2008, 10:12
To be fair, there's a helluva lot to the input from SchM than just mentoring and/or advice. There is guidance, and how drive faster, and I am sure that is what the input from SchM is all about. It may also be what Kimi sees as something working against him - this is from my view and may or may not be the case.

But if I were sailing, and the ex-champ spends a lot of time with other guys in the club but ignores me, then I would kinda feel left out. It would affect my decision making during races as well as boat set-up.

That's BS!
MS was there for both Ferrari drivers, and while Felipe was happy to listen to his advice, Kimi rubbished it. If now it works against him it's only his fault, not Felipe's and certainly not MS' fault.

ShiftingGears
25th August 2008, 10:16
Underrated for sure :up:

longisland
25th August 2008, 11:24
That's BS!
MS was there for both Ferrari drivers, and while Felipe was happy to listen to his advice, Kimi rubbished it. If now it works against him it's only his fault, not Felipe's and certainly not MS' fault.

Links please

ioan
25th August 2008, 11:32
Links please

Learn to use Google.

wedge
25th August 2008, 11:39

That's BS!

I don't think that sort of thing affects him really.

Kimi is his own man.

He's won the WDC without Schumi.

ioan
25th August 2008, 11:50
I don't think that sort of thing affects him really.

Kimi is his own man.

He's won the WDC without Schumi.

Let's not go deeper into this debate. It was already done and we all know the results it had.

Back to Smedley.

Dave B
25th August 2008, 13:06
Learn to use Google.

Here we go again! Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but what happened to you always backing up your own posts?

ioan
25th August 2008, 13:10
Here we go again! Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but what happened to you always backing up your own posts?

I've got a life so I have less time to spend looking around for 18 months old articles for people who know squat about F1 but like to bother others. ;)

Dave B
25th August 2008, 13:16
There's a woman in Japan who has 21 legs. Don't believe me? Sorry I don't have a link but I'm sure I read it somewhere.... :rolleyes:

ioan
25th August 2008, 13:47
There's a woman in Japan who has 21 legs. Don't believe me? Sorry I don't have a link but I'm sure I read it somewhere.... :rolleyes:

Good for her! :D
However you are looking a bit like a noob with such posts.

pino
25th August 2008, 13:52
ioan, you're wrong this time, that post was a bit rude and anecessary !

Big Ben
25th August 2008, 13:56
the way everybody at ferrari rushed to console Kimi was also a very emotional moment :laugh: ... I begin to wonder just how equally the 2 drivers are treated...

ioan
25th August 2008, 13:56
Sorry. I went a bit far on the last one. It's just that I don't like it when someone is making fun of others with childish examples.