PDA

View Full Version : Duval replaces Latvala for Spain and Corse

RS
22nd August 2008, 10:13
http://www.rallye-info.com/article.asp?sid=0&stid=7262

Buzz Lightyear
22nd August 2008, 10:19
BIG NEWS... Colin Clark first suggested this on WRR mid-way through Rally Germany.

Ford of Europe motorsport director Mark Deans said: "It's an advantage of Ford's customer programmes in the WRC that we have great depth of quality with the experience to step up to the highest level when required. Our customer teams increase the pool of talent with which we can work and this is a clear example of how Ford, as a whole, benefits from the system."

Is that another way of saying we made a mistake selecting Latvala?

noel157
22nd August 2008, 10:20
Common sense decision by Wilson. Dudu may be the best available choice for asphalt but I'm not sure he'll have the same pace as last year in the Xsara. Needs more testing in the Focus and needs to be comfortable in the car.

noel157
22nd August 2008, 10:23
BIG NEWS... Colin Clark first suggested this on WRR mid-way through Rally Germany.

That was after talking to Glen Patterson, PR manager at Stobarts?

MrJan
22nd August 2008, 10:37
Man will there be egg on their face if Duval crashes (quite a possibility where Francois is involved) and Jari-Matti finishes strongly :D

Buzz Lightyear
22nd August 2008, 10:59
Duval has probably positioned himself very nicely. I expect we could demand a nicely little wager. Rememeber, Duval has won in Australia on gravel, and with GB, NZ and JAP to go, if he outperforms JML in NZ, Duval could be in there next year.

bluuford
22nd August 2008, 11:07
I think it is very good to have one more countryman represented in a big factory team:-) Instead of just one country (Finns are good but on the promotional side of the sport it is not good when all top drivers are coming from one country only)

User
22nd August 2008, 11:12
Lets say that Duval is 4th in both Corsica and Spain, it's still more points then the probable 0 score from Latvala.

MikeD
22nd August 2008, 11:26
It's the only sane choice.

A big confidence boost for Duval. I hope he does well even though I want Citroën to win both titles.

In the two tarmac events we have had this year (Monaco & Germany) Latvala has scored 3 manu points, whereas Duval has scored 11 points. This is also a wake-up call for Latvala, that he needs to control himself on tarmac, until he learns how to drive on it. His mistakes in Germany was way to many and not impressive at all.

I wonder how he did so well in Ireland last year .. and then to be so poor on tarmac this year. Strange....

Finni
22nd August 2008, 11:26
Duval has probably positioned himself very nicely. I expect we could demand a nicely little wager. Rememeber, Duval has won in Australia on gravel, and with GB, NZ and JAP to go, if he outperforms JML in NZ, Duval could be in there next year.

Duval outperforming Latvala is quite impossible scenario on gravel. Only if Latvala "ditches" himself.

Buzz Lightyear
22nd August 2008, 11:28
I wonder how he did so well in Ireland last year....

I wasnt tarmac, it was a skating rink of muck.

N
22nd August 2008, 11:29
Don't be so harsh on Latvala, I'm sure he'll get some points on those rounds just to prove a point.
But, it's good news for Duval, it's now or never, his carrer depends on this.

Finni
22nd August 2008, 11:33
Let's see if Duval can beat Hirvonen on asphalt as comprehensively as Grönholm did. Or can he beat at all.

rus
22nd August 2008, 11:33
Duval outperforming Latvala is quite impossible scenario on gravel. Only if Latvala "ditches" himself.

Outpacing Latvala in NZ isn't the aim for Duval. He has to make more miles in his car, even on gravel, and not crash the car. I'm confident he won't. Pressure will be much bigger in Corse and Spain though... Hopefully it will turn out well.

Buzz Lightyear
22nd August 2008, 11:36
Outpacing Latvala in NZ isn't the aim for Duval. He has to make more miles in his car, even on gravel, and not crash the car. I'm confident he won't. Pressure will be much bigger in Corse and Spain though... Hopefully it will turn out well.

No, but if Latvala parks it in a rotorua thermal mud pool... and Duval cursies in 3rd, the pressure could really be on.

A.F.F.
22nd August 2008, 11:41
I think it is very good to have one more countryman represented in a big factory team:-) Instead of just one country (Finns are good but on the promotional side of the sport it is not good when all top drivers are coming from one country only)

Don't blame us. We try to produce as fews drivers as possible :p :

jonkka
22nd August 2008, 11:41
Very good news, not only for Ford but also for Duval. As he seems to have matured a lot in the past two years, it's good to see him back in works car.

This reminds me of Toyota's decision to nominate Freddy Loix as points scorer entry in Catalunya 1998 instead of usual number two Didier Auriol. Frenchman went on to win the event and Loix was second and back then points for non-nominated entries were lost (instead of being jumped over as rules are now), hence Toyota scored only six points from Loix's 2nd place.

There isn't a direct analogy as Toyota's motivation was to shake Didier up and test Loix whereas here Latvala is acknowledgedly poorer on tarmac compared to Duval and this is solely a points scoring maximization operation.

rus
22nd August 2008, 11:55
No, but if Latvala parks it in a rotorua thermal mud pool... and Duval cursies in 3rd, the pressure could really be on.

...for Latvala you mean

Roy
22nd August 2008, 12:18
Very good news. i don't understand why they did not earlier (in MC and Germany). Good choice, little bit to late.

Zes
22nd August 2008, 12:24
Very good news. i don't understand why they did not earlier (in MC and Germany). Good choice, little bit to late.

I was thinking the same. Germany has always been Duval's best rally. I don't expect same performance from him in Spain and Corsica. Last year Latvala was 4th in Corsica and Duval 5th.

jacko
22nd August 2008, 13:02
Wise move by Ford. I think it's needed if you're looking to the facts and in theory this is the best chance for Ford to bring (more) points in these events. Also not forget, Duval is the only man who could match the speed of Loeb on tarmac and when he does, and he will be for sure, a lot of test km's he could be the dangerous man for the win to led Loeb feel pressure, otherwise he will collect again 2x10 points on these rounds. On the gravel round in Finland and the next ones Latvala (with Hirvonen) is the man who had to make these pressure to led mistakes by Loeb.

One question: how about the car's livery for Latvala in these rounds (is he a replacement for Galli?) and will there the Structon privat Focus 07 (which is the original car for Duval) still be on the start-list and what will be the driver?? And will Latvala driven the Focus 08 version in the Stobart team??

Looking forward to these rounds, first next week NZ, last year was one of the all-time classixs.

Roy
22nd August 2008, 13:22

One question: how about the car's livery for Latvala in these rounds (is he a replacement for Galli?) and will there the Structon privat Focus 07 (which is the original car for Duval) still be on the start-list and what will be the driver?? And will Latvala driven the Focus 08 version in the Stobart team??

Looking forward to these rounds, first next week NZ, last year was one of the all-time classixs.

Car livery for Duval would be interesting. But Latvala drives for Stobart so he is in Stobart livery in WRC07. Duval drives in wrc08. I think he drives in official Abu Dhabi BP Ford with a Structo mark on the car and clothes.

User
22nd August 2008, 13:53
Duval will drive with the Abu Dhabi livery.

Buzz Lightyear
22nd August 2008, 14:01
i wonder why it doesnt mentioned that latvala will drive for stobart automatically.... could he just be dropped for those two rounds? surely not. but if malcolm can sell the stobart seats, it may raise that question.

Roy
22nd August 2008, 14:17
i wonder why it doesnt mentioned that latvala will drive for stobart automatically.... could he just be dropped for those two rounds? surely not. but if malcolm can sell the stobart seats, it may raise that question.

What do you mean? Latvala is contracted by m-sport. So m-sport can put him in a Stobart car. And they do.

Buzz Lightyear
22nd August 2008, 14:31
What do you mean? Latvala is contracted by m-sport. So m-sport can put him in a Stobart car. And they do.

They are trying to sell the seat to whoever whats it.

If they can get €150,000 for other other punter, Latvala can sit at home, unless Joukki spends more money to run him in Stobart car.

M-Sport/Ford dont have to put him in a car if they dont want to, I am sure they knew they were talking a risk with him at the start of the year, and it would be wise to have an appropriate clause in the contract to cover such an eventuallity.

Finni
22nd August 2008, 15:09
They are trying to sell the seat to whoever whats it.

If they can get €150,000 for other other punter, Latvala can sit at home, unless Joukki spends more money to run him in Stobart car.

M-Sport/Ford dont have to put him in a car if they dont want to, I am sure they knew they were talking a risk with him at the start of the year, and it would be wise to have an appropriate clause in the contract to cover such an eventuallity.

This is certainly far-fetched. It would be quite ty move on Latvala to put him pay money due to poor performances. Do you think that Duval paid anything when Tuohino replaced him for few rallies?

And, of course, according to wrc.com Latvala has no possibility not to drive: "Duval will be co-driven by Frenchman Patrick Pivato and the duo will replace Jari-Matti Latvala and Miikka Anttila, who will be nominated instead by the Stobart team."

jacko
22nd August 2008, 15:09
Car livery for Duval would be interesting. But Latvala drives for Stobart so he is in Stobart livery in WRC07. Duval drives in wrc08. I think he drives in official Abu Dhabi BP Ford with a Structo mark on the car and clothes.
Duval will be driven in the BP FORD Abu Dhabi colors, maybe with a small Structo logo extra but there are more sponsor's on the Structo car! The man behind Structo did buy the car to be driven by Duval on these tarmac rounds. Now the car is available ( i think Latvala will get the Stobart car of Galli) and what about those sponsors? The sponors will have less publicity or some other good tarmac driver will step in, but they never will have that publicity normalwise. Maybe as part of the game Duval will drive the Structo car also (extra parts paid by Ford M-Sport) in the UK as there were some discussions already.

HaCo
22nd August 2008, 15:41
Awesome news... :D

RS
22nd August 2008, 16:13
Let's see if Duval can beat Hirvonen on asphalt as comprehensively as Grönholm did. Or can he beat at all.

But will we know?

Duval's main job is to help Ford in the manufacturers' but surely now that he is driving for the main Ford team he won't be allowed to beat Mikko like he did in Germany?

Mikko is pretty hot on asphalt himself though, dare I say it perhaps even more convincing than he is on gravel. But that is not the discussion here, Duval is replacing Latvala.

If Ford want to keep JML for the future (which I am sure they do) then it only makes sense to put him in the Stobart for the tarmac rounds, he ain't gonna learn how to drive on it sitting at home.

noel157
22nd August 2008, 16:31
But will we know?

Mikko is pretty hot on asphalt himself though, dare I say it perhaps even more convincing than he is on gravel. But that is not the discussion here, Duval is replacing Latvala.

Mikko is certainly improving on asphalt but he's not exactly hot, very warm but not hot.

Koppomsbo
22nd August 2008, 16:33
Well good news :)

HaCo
22nd August 2008, 16:38
Mikko is certainly improving on asphalt but he's not exactly hot, very warm but not hot.
I think he showed very good performance in Germany, even Loeb admitted that. A stage where he was .5secs of Loebs pace, Loeb said he couldn't do any faster and wondered if the Fins had learned to drive on asphalt?
I hope the Ford boys can teach the Citroens a lesson in Spain or Corsica!!! Wishfull thinking of course :D :D :D

noel157
22nd August 2008, 16:45
.................................................. .......

COD
22nd August 2008, 17:13
A very much needed wake up call for Latvala, too many mistakes. Besides, maybe these two events with Stobart cost Jouhki less than if Latvala would drive for BP Abu Dhabi team...

Finni
22nd August 2008, 17:19
But will we know?

Duval's main job is to help Ford in the manufacturers' but surely now that he is driving for the main Ford team he won't be allowed to beat Mikko like he did in Germany?

I am sure if Dudu is faster than Mikko he can show it. It's not like they will ask after ss 2: "Dear Francois, you should now drive slowly in oder to keep your team-mate with you". It would be absurd situation.

If there is any team-orders they will happen in the end. And even last year in Germany Hirvonen didn't get order even if he was taking valuable points from Grönholm.

Buzz Lightyear
22nd August 2008, 17:20
A very much needed wake up call for Latvala, too many mistakes. Besides, maybe these two events with Stobart cost Jouhki less than if Latvala would drive for BP Abu Dhabi team... I think you have a better understanding of JML's position within Ford than Finni.

J4MIE
22nd August 2008, 18:34
Sensible decision by Ford :up:

Am sure cars/sponsors will be sorted out ;)

Barry_
22nd August 2008, 18:37
i kinda feel sorry for JML

Tomi
22nd August 2008, 20:18
i kinda feel sorry for JML

Why, its only 2 events, i hope JM change to more experienced co-driver for next season.

DonJippo
22nd August 2008, 20:28
Besides, maybe these two events with Stobart cost Jouhki less than if Latvala would drive for BP Abu Dhabi team...

Always intresting to notice how people believe to know other's financial affairs better than person himself.

Koz
22nd August 2008, 21:11
Rememeber, Duval has won in Australia on gravel

I dont think it counts as a win when... If memory serves me right... He nearly got his flemmish butthocks handed to him by a certian Skoda (with paddles not working). The two fords weren't even racing that day. The second whale burned itself. The kangaroos took out how many drivers? Loeb and Marcus made a few dudus.

How many WRC cars started and how many finished? I think that rally was all about bad luck for everyone except Dudu. And should not in any way reflect on his real performance.

But I do agree that he may be only second on tarmac to Leob, on a good day if all goes well, he should be very, very quick. But just not on the gravel.

m.lowe
22nd August 2008, 21:32
Ford need to do something to beat the best
Theres only so many times they can drop back to run 2nd on the road on events to win

Duval is a good driver though

playmo
23rd August 2008, 00:17
I'm not particularly a fan of Francois, but it is good news ONLY if he get's the proper testing and gets to know the car, and actually gets to LIKE the car (he's comments on rally Deutschland that the car was diffucult to drive are concerning) but let's all hope he can deliver.
And everyone, please don't bash on Jari-Mati, he's young, and need's couple of years to get where everybody expects him to be, don't rush, he'll get there, altough maybe not on time to beat Sebastien on his better years but still....And with less pressure he can sort out tarmac driving, besides, how long did it take for Marcus to get proper asfalt pace?

Integrale
23rd August 2008, 02:06
If memory serves me right... He nearly got his flemmish butthocks handed to him by a certian Skoda (with paddles not working).
For the record, he's not flemmish. :)

HaCo
23rd August 2008, 08:49
Ugh, I hope some guys here cut the 'Flemish' crap. If it is Duval or Loix or Princen or Cols, they are Belgians and as far as I know I still have a Belgian flag under my nickname (I think most of the Belgians on the forum think that way). It's already enough that our politicians are occupied with these crappy discussions about Flanders-Wallonia.

A.F.F.
23rd August 2008, 10:30
I think this a good chance for Duval and at the same time a good wake-up call for Latvala. :up:

koko0703
23rd August 2008, 10:38
Considering Ford's aim is on defending manu. title, it is very sensible move by them. I hope Duval will get some tarmac testing before the events and push Citroen to the limit.

witto6
23rd August 2008, 10:49
I think this a good chance for Duval and at the same time a good wake-up call for Latvala. :up:

Agreed

Buzz Lightyear
23rd August 2008, 11:02
Always intresting to notice how people believe to know other's financial affairs better than person himself.

Its speculation.

JML wouldnt be the first driver to pay for works overalls.

Look at it this way.... he's not on a €1m retainer.

COD
23rd August 2008, 11:32
Why, its only 2 events, i hope JM change to more experienced co-driver for next season.

Co-driver can hardly be blaimed for JM's poor performance. Besides, where are you gonna find a more experienced one. Anttila has 72 WRC starts to date...

Tomi
23rd August 2008, 11:53
Co-driver can hardly be blaimed for JM's poor performance. Besides, where are you gonna find a more experienced one. Anttila has 72 WRC starts to date...

Jakke Honkanen for instance, I think they should have choosen him in first place already, its not because Anttila is crap, more to wake up Latvala for real, also to put him together after when something happens, he brokes to parts when something unexcepted happens, like spoiled kids uses to do.

gloomyDAY
23rd August 2008, 14:12
Jakke Honkanen for instance, I think they should have choosen him in first place already, its not because Anttila is crap, more to wake up Latvala for real, also to put him together after when something happens, he brokes to parts when something unexcepted happens, like spoiled kids uses to do.Cue the video of JML crying....

cosmicpanda
23rd August 2008, 14:56

Latvala would be having to try massively hard to park it in a thermal mud pool. The rally's on the other side of the country :p

A.F.F.
23rd August 2008, 15:40
Cue the video of JML crying....

Which one?

Buzz Lightyear
23rd August 2008, 15:41
Latvala would be having to try massively hard to park it in a thermal mud pool. The rally's on the other side of the country :p

exactly...

COD
23rd August 2008, 15:49
Jakke Honkanen for instance

Jakke retired if don't remember. I don't think he will be back.

Jouhki has hired a mental coach for Latvala, but I don't think anyone can cure that crybaby

A.F.F.
23rd August 2008, 16:02
Jakke retired if don't remember. I don't think he will be back.

Jouhki has hired a mental coach for Latvala, but I don't think anyone can cure that crybaby

What's wrong being sensitive and fast?

A bit like me :D

Buzz Lightyear
23rd August 2008, 16:20

do you look like terminator when your driving too? :cool:

gloomyDAY
23rd August 2008, 16:38
Which one?
Here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXWQdEF8shs)

lol

A.F.F.
23rd August 2008, 16:49
do you look like terminator when your driving too? :cool:

Yes I do. But more like that older T-800 model, hence Arnie :D

A.F.F.
23rd August 2008, 16:58
Here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXWQdEF8shs)

lol

Exactly. That particular clip reminds me of those teenage drama queens. :mark:

COD
23rd August 2008, 18:53

Nothing, but are you as accident prone as well?

Woodeye
23rd August 2008, 19:12

Heehee. I depends a bit WHERE you are sensitive and fast. :D

A.F.F.
23rd August 2008, 19:12
Nope. :)

A.F.F.
23rd August 2008, 19:14
Heehee. I depends a bit WHERE you are sensitive and fast. :D

Exactly. :up:

Takes one to know one I guess ;)

Woodeye
23rd August 2008, 19:26
I'm glad for Ford by the way that they chose Dudu only for tarmac. On gravel he might be even more costly than J-M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8h5zHHvZoU

Daniel
23rd August 2008, 20:15
Funny when I mentioned JML being a bit of a crybaby and the fact that he didn't have the mental toughness people said it would come soon. I think the one thing that works in his favour is that there is no plan B for Ford other than one of the Subaru drivers perhaps.

Lousada
23rd August 2008, 20:29
Funny when I mentioned JML being a bit of a crybaby and the fact that he didn't have the mental toughness people said it would come soon. I think the one thing that works in his favour is that there is no plan B for Ford other than one of the Subaru drivers perhaps.

One of the Suzuki drivers? :o

BDunnell
23rd August 2008, 20:31

And that is a really sad comment on the entire sport. Where are the new contenders coming from? Why is there such a narrow range of real, Loeb-style talent in the WRC? These are the key questions.

Daniel
23rd August 2008, 20:37
True. But Garde won't be a world champ. PG? I couldn't really say.

gloomyDAY
23rd August 2008, 21:40
Exactly. That particular clip reminds me of those teenage drama queens. :mark: Can you translate what JML is saying? Thanks.

Josti
23rd August 2008, 21:44
And that is a really sad comment on the entire sport. Where are the new contenders coming from? Why is there such a narrow range of real, Loeb-style talent in the WRC? These are the key questions.

But do we really want a new Loeb-style driver? I don't think he did much good for the excitement of WRC last couple of years. Not his fault of course, but I'd rather see some close competition, where there are more then just 1 or 2 drivers dominating the scene.

BDunnell
23rd August 2008, 21:49
But do we really want a new Loeb-style driver? I don't think he did much good for the excitement of WRC last couple of years. Not his fault of course, but I'd rather see some close competition, where there are more then just 1 or 2 drivers dominating the scene.

I know what you mean, but I was really referring to the fact that in the past there have been more drivers at the same level (though each with their own individual strengths and weaknesses) at the top of the sport at one time.

Daniel
23rd August 2008, 21:52
Yes there is a talent vacuum. Guys like Carlos, Colin, Juha, Marcus and Tommi leave us and who fills the void?

BDunnell
23rd August 2008, 22:30
Yes there is a talent vacuum. Guys like Carlos, Colin, Juha, Marcus and Tommi leave us and who fills the void?

It will be a problem so long as competitive seats are so hard to get into. Hardly anyone gets a decent chance in a decent car these days. This is why costs need to be cut, for one thing, and national championships built up again for another.

A.F.F.
23rd August 2008, 23:07
Can you translate what JML is saying? Thanks.

This is not word to word but you'll get the idea:

This can't be real, this can't be real, I can't, I can't, seriously, I can't relax, Miikka help me now etc.... :mark:

A.F.F.
23rd August 2008, 23:13

It will be a problem so long as competitive seats are so hard to get into. Hardly anyone gets a decent chance in a decent car these days. This is why costs need to be cut, for one thing, and national championships built up again for another.

BDunnell basicly summed it up but I'd like to add that none of the guys like Carlos, Juha, mMarcus, Colin and Tommi weren't superstars overnight.

Loeb's phenomenon has twisted the whole idea and now folks wait for new talents just growing on trees. It's not real, unless you're french and your name is Ogier.

The others have to take the rockier road to the top, just like the gentlemen of rallying. That's why what BDunnell already said.

gloomyDAY
25th August 2008, 01:29
Is the rally program more solid in France? Ogier has been wiping the floor with his opponents, so what gives? I'd just like some more details about what is going on over there.

grugsticles
25th August 2008, 06:32
I dont think its JUST an issue of a lack of upcoming talent.

Obviously the struggleing automotive industry has an effect on the financial side of things leading top less opertunities for the young up-and-coming drivers, but I think its also got a lot to do with the technical side of things.

Modern cars are like they are on rail road tracks, you point where you want to go and the car does the rest. While this is a good thing in terms of technical advancement in motoring, it makes for a dull and boring experience behind the wheel and in the grandstand. Personally Id much rather drive a RWD MK2 at an average of 80 km/h than a WRCar at an average of 120 km/h.
IMO, to drive a modern WRCar you need to have total faith that the cornering grip you think you actually have rather than the grip you think you have. Meaning, you have to drive as smoothly as you possibly can - an art which Loab is king at.
With older cars you had to wressle the car into obtaining the best slide around the corner as that was the fastest way around. That made for a better experience inside and outside of the cockpit.
Basically if nit looks good to the public then its a good marketing strategy.
With good marketing comes sponsorship dollars. With sponsorship dollars comes more drivers in cars which eventually leads to more opertunities for yourger drivers and a larger talent pool for selection.

The last 10 or so years have moved away from this theiry and we have moved towards technical advancement as the main goal.

IMO anyway...

ShiftingGears
25th August 2008, 07:28
I dont think its JUST an issue of a lack of upcoming talent.

Obviously the struggleing automotive industry has an effect on the financial side of things leading top less opertunities for the young up-and-coming drivers, but I think its also got a lot to do with the technical side of things.

Modern cars are like they are on rail road tracks, you point where you want to go and the car does the rest. While this is a good thing in terms of technical advancement in motoring, it makes for a dull and boring experience behind the wheel and in the grandstand. Personally Id much rather drive a RWD MK2 at an average of 80 km/h than a WRCar at an average of 120 km/h.
IMO, to drive a modern WRCar you need to have total faith that the cornering grip you think you actually have rather than the grip you think you have. Meaning, you have to drive as smoothly as you possibly can - an art which Loab is king at.
With older cars you had to wressle the car into obtaining the best slide around the corner as that was the fastest way around. That made for a better experience inside and outside of the cockpit.
Basically if nit looks good to the public then its a good marketing strategy.
With good marketing comes sponsorship dollars. With sponsorship dollars comes more drivers in cars which eventually leads to more opertunities for yourger drivers and a larger talent pool for selection.

The last 10 or so years have moved away from this theiry and we have moved towards technical advancement as the main goal.

IMO anyway...

Good point.

The WRC needs regulations which give a higher power to grip ratio.

Also the FIA actually supporting the WRC would help...

Daniel
25th August 2008, 08:28

Why do people forget how that victory came? It seems that 3 or 4 years down the line people just forget what actually happened and just remember the result. Duval is **** on gravel. He's not as fast as Latvala on gravel and he's EVEN more accident prone. On tarmac his speed balances this out but on gravel he's not worth the risk.

I think that using Duval's victory in Australia as a reason why he should be entered into gravel rallies should be a bannable offence :mark:

Daniel
25th August 2008, 08:31
Good point.

The WRC needs regulations which give a higher power to grip ratio.

Also the FIA actually supporting the WRC would help...

Don't worry the FIA WILL realise this.

In about 4 or 5 years time...... just like they only realised a couple of years ago that a full set of active diffs only serves to spoil the show when people on the forum have been saying to get rid of them for years and years and years.

BDunnell
25th August 2008, 15:06
BDunnell basicly summed it up but I'd like to add that none of the guys like Carlos, Juha, mMarcus, Colin and Tommi weren't superstars overnight.

Loeb's phenomenon has twisted the whole idea and now folks wait for new talents just growing on trees. It's not real, unless you're french and your name is Ogier.

The others have to take the rockier road to the top, just like the gentlemen of rallying. That's why what BDunnell already said.

And what did all those top names have in common? The fact that they all got their big breaks via competing in strong national championships and doing so directly against the top drivers that also used to appear in those series. JWRC and PWRC just don't cut the mustard in this respect.

AndyRAC
25th August 2008, 20:51
And what did all those top names have in common? The fact that they all got their big breaks via competing in strong national championships and doing so directly against the top drivers that also used to appear in those series. JWRC and PWRC just don't cut the mustard in this respect.

While agreeing , I seem to remember many people including DR saying that National Championships are not the place for WRCars. The thing needed is simple, cheap and exciting cars that many drivers can afford and it may be possible to have interesting National Championships.

Daniel
25th August 2008, 20:59
While agreeing , I seem to remember many people including DR saying that National Championships are not the place for WRCars. The thing needed is simple, cheap and exciting cars that many drivers can afford and it may be possible to have interesting National Championships.
How many of those guys did their apprenticeships in WRCars in national championships? :)

BDunnell
25th August 2008, 21:46

And that is exactly the problem, because it hasn't proved possible to sustain national championships running WRCs. Therefore, younger drivers haven't been able to gain experience in them and show how fast they can be in them. One reason people like McRae, Burns, Gronholm et al were so clearly great talents was because they had that ability to compete on more or less equal terms against top drivers. Matthew Wilson's first chance to do that came when he was plunged into the WRC.

I even think that F2, while spectacular, might not have been the best breeding ground because it developed a lot of great F2 car drivers who never quite hacked it in WRCs.

AndyRAC
25th August 2008, 21:56
How much are we expecting the proposed S2000+ cars to be? I seriously doubt they are going to be be cheap. Surely it's in everybody's interest to have a healthy WRC, that means many Manufacturers with many cars/drivers. It seems to have gone quiet on the S2000+ front.

Buzz Lightyear
25th August 2008, 23:48
How much are we expecting the proposed S2000+ cars to be? I seriously doubt they are going to be be cheap. Surely it's in everybody's interest to have a healthy WRC, that means many Manufacturers with many cars/drivers. It seems to have gone quiet on the S2000+ front.

it not nessesarily to cost of the cars, per se, they will always be €400-500K.

It the reduction in development costs, and the standardisation of parts. for example, you are TOLD what gearbox to use, instead of having to design and manufactuer a world-of-art, at maybe €5m, you buy it off the shelf for £50K, thus the reduction of capital to invest initally, and the lowering to the barrier to entry.

For example, you could buy a F1 car for €1m.... but it cost about €100m to design the damn thing.

atchoum
26th August 2008, 00:48
Why do people forget how that victory came? It seems that 3 or 4 years down the line people just forget what actually happened and just remember the result. Duval is **** on gravel. He's not as fast as Latvala on gravel and he's EVEN more accident prone. On tarmac his speed balances this out but on gravel he's not worth the risk.

I think that using Duval's victory in Australia as a reason why he should be entered into gravel rallies should be a bannable offence :mark:

The ones in front of him should have stayed on the road, they were paid for this. Just like Duval. He didn't make any mistake, drove fast (yes sir, even on gravel) and won! That's all, nothing else to say... :rolleyes:

Tom206wrc
26th August 2008, 00:54
Exciting news !!! :D

Isnt'it, Ste898 ??? :p :

Daniel
26th August 2008, 05:53
The ones in front of him should have stayed on the road, they were paid for this. Just like Duval. He didn't make any mistake, drove fast (yes sir, even on gravel) and won! That's all, nothing else to say... :rolleyes:

Well duh!

Carlo
26th August 2008, 08:02
No, but if Latvala parks it in a rotorua thermal mud pool... .

He will be miles off course totally in the wrong direction and many hours away

Buzz Lightyear
26th August 2008, 10:11
He will be miles off course totally in the wrong direction and many hours away

exaclty........