PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 - Must Visit Sports Locations (Does Not Include IMS)

Lemmy-Boy
21st August 2008, 01:06
SI.com has posted the 10 must-visit sports locations & venues. And guess what? Daytona was included but IMS is nowhere to be seen.

Oh...how the mighty Brickyard has fallen.

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/10.must.visit.sports.locations/content.1.html

SportscarBruce
21st August 2008, 02:01
SI.com has posted the 10 must-visit sports locations & venues. And guess what? Daytona was included but IMS is nowhere to be seen.

Oh...how the mighty Brickyard has fallen.

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/10.must.visit.sports.locations/content.1.html

According to SI.com, the people beg to differ. Not the people who malign the track and event on the web, but the people who filled the grandstands and infield last May.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bc/2008_Indianapolis_500_Start.jpg/800px-2008_Indianapolis_500_Start.jpg

call_me_andrew
21st August 2008, 03:52
There was a similar article on MSN.com a few months ago. Rest assured there were plenty of angry comments over the absence of Indianapolis (some even from NASCAR fans).

ShiftingGears
21st August 2008, 09:45
I didn't know people actually took Swimsuit Models Illustrated seriously.

speeddurango
21st August 2008, 13:33
I didn't know DP has a stronger influence than Indy500, I mean seriously to these trollers, at least bring up some constructive argumentation. While it might be true Indycar got more exposure to media because of DP, it is Indy500 that made her, not that she made Indy500.

dataman1
21st August 2008, 14:18
Conisder the source. SI is known for covering stick and ball sports first. Then there is the swim suit deal. They never have covered motorsports in the same vane as football, basketball, baseball, golf, etc..IMO.

Rex Monaco
21st August 2008, 14:21
The Honda 500 at Indy is nothing like the past Indianapolis 500's that built the reputation and prestige of the race.

No matter how many people show up in the stands next year, it will still be the Honda 500 at Indy.

And in 2010 when they might have a few new engine suppliers, they will continue to prevent one off entries at Indy.

More and more it's becoming like NASCAR. Only less popular.

JSH
21st August 2008, 15:50
Yeah, I can think of alot of places more "must see" than Fenway bloody Park.

If it said Top 10 must visit sports locations in the USA, then ok..

SportscarBruce
22nd August 2008, 02:49
Yeah, I can think of alot of places more "must see" than Fenway bloody Park.

If it said Top 10 must visit sports locations in the USA, then ok..

You just don't know what Fenway means.

sniff

MAX_THRUST
22nd August 2008, 12:09
Well what else is in Indianapolis to see?

I went to Florida and so paid a visit to Daytona then drove down to Homestead, but was asked to leave there, due to private testing.

Why else would I go to Indy other than to see Indy?

DanicaFan
22nd August 2008, 12:15
Indy has the Pacers and the Colts. :)

harvick#1
22nd August 2008, 17:57
Fenway #1, um no :dozey: any baseball stadium is basically the same

its SI, they cover only stick and ball sports

where the **** is La Sarthe and Spa, hell even Monaco :mad:

obviously SI has no clue what they pull out of their asses

JSH
22nd August 2008, 18:01

sniff

Sorry Mate.. My formative years were spent attending Cricket and Football matches at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.... :D

anthonyvop
22nd August 2008, 19:05

sniff

I would have put Yankee Stadium over Fenway and Wrigley and I have been to all 3.
Fenway and Wrigley are rememberances of time past but Yankee Stadium is baseball History.

I would also add La Sarthe and the Sambadrome in Rio. It is a competition after all.

F1boat
22nd August 2008, 21:43
I think that Indy and Daytona are both fabulous tracks, yet Indy is a better location. I rate the Indianapolis 500 higher then either the Daytona 500 or the Rolex 24 Hours.
From motorsports I think that only Monaco tops Indy, yet it is ncorrect to call it a sporting place as it is a temporary street course (am I right)? Le Mans, Spa and Monza are also wonderful locations for motorsport fans.
Outside motorsports, to me "Old Traford" is probably the most magical place to see. Glory, glory, Man United!

pits4me
23rd August 2008, 01:43
Sorry Mate.. My formative years were spent attending Cricket and Football matches at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.... :D

MCG is a spectacular place to visit. I was there about 10 years ago. Its like two LA Coliseums side by side. http://www.mcg.org.au/Tours/Virtual%20Tour.aspx

Top 10 in cumlative attendance may explain why Fenway is on top. Daytona has a lot more events than Indy and many more visitors on non-race days and in the off season.

elis
25th August 2008, 21:24
Outside motorsports, to me "Old Traford" is probably the most magical place to see.

The cricket ground? ;)

I've worked at internationals at the Old Trafford Football ground, it is an impressive place, but personally not the greatest of grounds.. I'd much rather go to San Siro :)

That SI list is clearly US centric, there are places on there that you're average Joe in a street outside of the states is unlikey to have heard of, whereas places that draw global, International TV exposure for their 'kudos' events, such as Wimbledon, as an example don't get a mention??

wedge
25th August 2008, 21:53
Well what else is in Indianapolis to see?

I went to Florida and so paid a visit to Daytona then drove down to Homestead, but was asked to leave there, due to private testing.

Why else would I go to Indy other than to see Indy?

The museum at IMS

IRP - for good ol Friday/Saturday night racing.

DavePI2
27th August 2008, 19:49
as a cubs fan i am partial to wrigley, but as a baseball fan there is no stadium that beats pnc park in pittsburg. As a race fan all you need to say is Indy. However a weekend at midohio is awsome also.

david

DavePI2
27th August 2008, 19:51
oh the worst place to visit in any sport is the akron rubber bowl. If there is a worse place to watch anything then that garbage dump please someone let me know.

david

garyshell
27th August 2008, 20:43
As a race fan all you need to say is Indy. However a weekend at midohio is awsome also.

Agreed! And there is something very special about going to the Daytona speedway as well, not necessarily to see a NASCAR event. Seeing that 31 degree banking in the flesh is just breathtaking. I saw it for the first time many years ago at a IMSA event there. Years latter, I got to feel the high banks as I hurtled around the track at 169 MPH in a Richard Petty ride along program. WOW!!!!!!

I was on a day trip to St. Augustine and made a stop to see the Daytona Museum. I had hoped to find some info about my uncle Nelson Stacy, that was a bust, but my wife treated me to the ridealong and I was smiling for weeks.

Gary

garyshell
27th August 2008, 20:46
oh the worst place to visit in any sport is the akron rubber bowl. If there is a worse place to watch anything then that garbage dump please someone let me know.

david

It wasn't too bad a place to see the Jefferson Airplane (or was it Starship) one summer and the Rolling Stones another. <big ol' grin>

Gary

indycool
28th August 2008, 11:35
Interesting thread. Doubt that SI could get anyone to agree on the top 10 becauase everybody would have a favorite that isn't listed. But a couple points that haven't been mentioned, and others have been very good.

1. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is designated as a National Historic Site and the U.S. Indiana quarter features an Indy car on it.

2. I understand St. Andrews, but where in the world is Augusta National, site of the Masters, or Wimbledon, site of the tennis world's most famous event?

3. Wonder if the rodeo grounds for the Calgary Stampede were considered. That's a sprawling complex with a unique event with a rodeo, but chuckwagon racing on a dirt half there is unbelievable.