PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] News & rumours (part II)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60

Mirek
6th June 2013, 12:23
The article isn't correct. 1.6T WRC/RRC engine was tested already two years a go but the development was stopped in summer 2011 (I think). This time they test different R5 engine and if I have good information the first tests happened already some weeks a go.

liposh
6th June 2013, 12:41
Mirek: ...and is the 1,6TSI engine inside this test car or did they use 1,8TSI for very first tests?

Mirek
6th June 2013, 12:48
What 1.6TSI are You talking about? I admit I don't know such engine, I only remember some rumors that there shall be something like that in some future VAG cars but that's all I know. In my opinion R5 engine must be based on 1.8TSI but that's just my guessing.

tommeke_B
6th June 2013, 13:07
1.8 TFSI has bore-82,5 and stroke 84,1... With shorter stroke (just under 75) it would be a 1.6. All current (succesful) WRC engines are having a short-stroke too. :)

Mirek
6th June 2013, 13:18
Very good point ;)

Polo WRC 83 x 73,8 mm
Fiesta WRC 83 x 73,9 mm
DS3 WRC 82 x 75,5 mm

Mini WRC 77 x 85,8 mm - this is production based engine, same numbers shall apply for 208 R5 and DS3 R5

Fiesta R5 79 x 81,4 mm - production 1.6 EcoBoost engine numbers

1.8 TSI with shorter stroke - 82,5 x 74,8 mm - almost same numbers as top WRC engines

On the other hand WRC have higher rpm limit (8500 rpm over 7500 rpm for R5).

liposh
6th June 2013, 13:33
Thank you guys, this is the way of discussion I wanted to start ;)

PLuto
6th June 2013, 17:43
Little bit more correct article about turboFabia tests (in czech, but with translator it is easy to understand) - Autosport (http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=15331)

PLuto
6th June 2013, 17:58
Little bit more correct article about turboFabia tests (in czech, but with translator it is easy to understand) - Autosport (http://www.autosport.cz/clanek.php?cl=15331)

It looks like it is not so easy with translator, so I will summarize the article in very short - First part is about atmospheric S2000 which was most successful at Skoda rally history and talks about start developing 1.6T engine few years ago. After coming Volkswagen into rallysport and due to high expences for RRC cars developing of this engine was stopped. Last part is about actual talks about 1.6T engine. Developing of this car was re-born last year. Team is developing car for R5 class and was done few tests during last months. Because new bodyshell (Fabia new facelift) is not ready, this test were made in old bodyshell. So actual car from tests is not new evolution of actual car, only "laboratory on wheels".

OldF
6th June 2013, 19:24
From the beginning of this year the max cylinder capacity for a R3T engine is 1620 cm3 (Does anyone know why). There’s no mention about the cylinder capacity in the R5 specific regulations but if it’s the same the stroke of a 1,8TFSI based engine could be 75,7 mm.

Hopefully the max cylinder capacity is defined in the R5 homologation regulations otherwise a manufacturer could try to homologate a 3000 cm3 engine and saying to FIA: “But there’s no mention of the cylinder capacity in the regulations.” :D

Kielder
7th June 2013, 10:11
These are the maps of Rally Catalunya:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMG0knBCMAEbmTz.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMG0_OmCAAAnKrp.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMG2JH8CMAEiEMj.png:large

jonlint
7th June 2013, 10:29
From the beginning of this year the max cylinder capacity for a R3T engine is 1620 cm3 (Does anyone know why). There’s no mention about the cylinder capacity in the R5 specific regulations but if it’s the same the stroke of a 1,8TFSI based engine could be 75,7 mm.

Hopefully the max cylinder capacity is defined in the R5 homologation regulations otherwise a manufacturer could try to homologate a 3000 cm3 engine and saying to FIA: “But there’s no mention of the cylinder capacity in the regulations.” :D

I do not think the FIA will do this. Cylinder capacity for regulations has always been including multiplication factors. The Metro 6R4 tried to take advantage of this by using a naturally aspirated engine at the max of the cc limit but turbo technology surpassed them. I do not think a manufacturer will ever come with a 3000cc R5 car. The engine will be large and heavy and the turbos will always have an advantage on torque, launch control mapping, antilag etc.

MartijnS
7th June 2013, 10:36
So Spain looks like this.
I hope the shakedown/QS will be on Friday morning than!

Friday

SS1 Querol - 20.18
SS2 Montmell - 20.59
SS3 Riudecanyes 1 - 22.46

Saturday

SS4 Riudecanyes 2
SS5 El Priorat
SS6 Colledejou? 1
SS7 El Priorat
SS8 Colledejou? 2
SS9 SS Salou

Sunday

SS10 Gandesa
SS11 Pesells
SS12 Terra Alta
SS13 Gandesa
SS14 Pesells
SS15 Terra Alta

Kielder
7th June 2013, 10:50
I believe it will :) . The press conference starts in about ten minutes.

Mirek
7th June 2013, 11:54
I do not think the FIA will do this. Cylinder capacity for regulations has always been including multiplication factors. The Metro 6R4 tried to take advantage of this by using a naturally aspirated engine at the max of the cc limit but turbo technology surpassed them. I do not think a manufacturer will ever come with a 3000cc R5 car. The engine will be large and heavy and the turbos will always have an advantage on torque, launch control mapping, antilag etc.

This way of counting capacity is no longer used in group R regulations. Now every sub-type of gr.R car has explicitly given maximum cylinder capacity and the way of charging. So instead of the old turbo coefficients You have given particular sub-types like R3C (2000 ccm NA), R3D (2000 ccm TD), R3T (1600 ccm TP) plus restrictors, charger regulations etc.

MartijnS
7th June 2013, 14:17
The leader after two days of tarmac in Spain gets to choose his startposition for the gravel on Sunday first and so on!

Priorat
7th June 2013, 15:41
[quote="MartijnS"]
I hope the shakedown/QS will be on Friday morning than!

It's on Thursday afternoon actually

Motorsportfun
7th June 2013, 16:15
He said they have no assurances from the FIA or from the promoter for 2014, but he doesn't think any rally has...

IMHO, Mexico and France has the more difficulties at the moment.

Mexico is a standalone long-haul event, has many security problems (stones thrown from idiots, gate closed, etc.) and a double event Brazil-Argentina should be the final decision to keep them off the calendar.

France is losing Loeb this year, next year probably Citroen will move to WTCC and Mouton-Todt doesn't want anymore (like Promoter) events so close eachother. In fact, they're 150 km away from Germany and the Swedish solution, crossing border to Norway, should be fine.

MartijnS
7th June 2013, 17:31
It's on Thursday afternoon actually

I see :)
Probably skipping shakedown and flying friday morning than ;)

OldF
8th June 2013, 15:41

The second part of my post (above) was not meant to be taken seriously. ;)

The turbo coefficient was 1,4 until the end of 1987 and 1,7 from the beginning of 1988.

vino_93
9th June 2013, 22:12
IMHO, Mexico and France has the more difficulties at the moment.

Mexico is a standalone long-haul event, has many security problems (stones thrown from idiots, gate closed, etc.) and a double event Brazil-Argentina should be the final decision to keep them off the calendar.

France is losing Loeb this year, next year probably Citroen will move to WTCC and Mouton-Todt doesn't want anymore (like Promoter) events so close eachother. In fact, they're 150 km away from Germany and the Swedish solution, crossing border to Norway, should be fine.

The major problem of France is that ACM and FFSA are too stupid to join them together to do a great event together... in a World Rally Championship, that's incredible to see two events run in the same small country.
But by the way, France Rally in Alsace is sure for 2014.

I think an event with Germany is not a deal ... and FFSA for sure would like to have is own event. If Alsace is no more a long term deal, another region could be find.
Maybe Corsica, but I'm not sure they have the money to do this. When Alsace was launched, Bourgogne and Limousin had two serious project. Limousin has financial difficulty now so ... (only 2 events in the région this year !). But we'll see.

tommeke_B
10th June 2013, 05:59
If the stupid parking-stages and the shakedown in the ghetto of Strasbourg would be out, Alsace would be a great event in my opinion. :)

Rasantes
11th June 2013, 12:01
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1000174_431867353578521_1455495566_n.jpg

vino_93
11th June 2013, 15:32
If the stupid parking-stages and the shakedown in the ghetto of Strasbourg would be out, Alsace would be a great event in my opinion. :)
I've no problem with the stages, only with the location.

For a world championship, what would be the reason to have 2 events in the same country (France), and two very close (France and Germany) ?
Well, I prefer to see Acropolis staying in WRC than Alsace, even if I'm French.
And I prefer to see WRC trying to go in another new country than staying two times in France. But that's only my point of view.

vino_93
11th June 2013, 15:34
just read that Kosciuszko will do only three rounds this year with the Fiesta (Sardignia, Germany and Wales), + ERC Poland :(

rallyfiend
11th June 2013, 16:39
just read that Kosciuszko will do only three rounds this year with the Fiesta (Sardignia, Germany and Wales), + ERC Poland :(

Guess that goes to show you the price difference between a real WRC car and a MI Mini.

I note his picture shows Michelin shoes. I wonder if that is true - would also account for the reduction in events.

And leaves DMack with no WRC customers.

rallye-vid
11th June 2013, 16:57
He and Prokop dropped Dmack some time ago.

Here some (bad) news about Citroen WRT:

Google Übersetzer (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rallye-magazin.de%2Frallyes%2Fwm%2Fnachrichten%2Fnews-detail%2Fd%2F2013%2F06%2F11%2Fcitroen-vor-dem-absprung%2Findex.html)

PLuto
11th June 2013, 17:42
He and Prokop dropped Dmack some time ago.

Here some (bad) news about Citroen WRT:

Google Übersetzer (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rallye-magazin.de%2Frallyes%2Fwm%2Fnachrichten%2Fnews-detail%2Fd%2F2013%2F06%2F11%2Fcitroen-vor-dem-absprung%2Findex.html)

Citroen will finish in WRC. And it has nothing to do with the results this year...

Francis44
11th June 2013, 17:50
Citroen will finish in WRC. And it has nothing to do with the results this year...

Not so sure they would quit if they were dominating. But the real question is no Citroen, or no PSA for the next years.

PLuto
11th June 2013, 18:14
Not so sure they would quit if they were dominating. But the real question is no Citroen, or no PSA for the next years.

Their exit is and was sure, also if they dominate... Second question is more important...

RS
11th June 2013, 18:30

When?

GigiGalliNo1
15th June 2013, 05:18
When KRONOS GO!!!!!! Were running the team?

PLuto
15th June 2013, 11:26
When?

It was planned at the end of 2013, but it should change, for sure...

vino_93
15th June 2013, 16:08
Canadian driver Leonid Urlichich will enter WRC in 2014 ! For the moment he is looking for a new experienced codriver, and then will have a 3 year plan in World Rally Championship.
His latest results : eWRC-results.com - profile Leonid Urlichich (http://www.ewrc-results.com/profile.php?p=13321&t=Leonid-Urlichich)

TyPat107
16th June 2013, 00:35
Canadian driver Leonid Urlichich will enter WRC in 2014 ! For the moment he is looking for a new experienced codriver, and then will have a 3 year plan in World Rally Championship.
His latest results : eWRC-results.com - profile Leonid Urlichich (http://www.ewrc-results.com/profile.php?p=13321&t=Leonid-Urlichich)

Dont get me wrong, I love "Crazy Leo" and I think he has one of the best attitudes in rallying, but there is going to be many WRC body shells that look like crushed tin foil balls in 2014 with urlichich on the side windows.

Fly_Half
17th June 2013, 20:43
Although that article is badly translated, I couldn't see anything that explicitly says "CITROEN ARE LEAVING THE WRC!!"; only the prospect that they may be thinking about it.

The article also states Citroen are developing a new car and Matton raises the possibility of a two pronged approach in the WRC and WTCC. Or am I missing something?

EightGear
17th June 2013, 20:47
Somehow in the English translation it says they are developing a new car, but they're not.

Eli
18th June 2013, 21:08
does anybody know when will they change the rules and regulations a.k.a the WRC car that exists from 2011 (from World Rally superminis too something better)????

Mirek
18th June 2013, 21:12
What is that "something better"?

Eli
18th June 2013, 22:32
What is that "something better"?

i don't something stronger or something like the cars the WRC used to have between 1997-2010.

Mirek
18th June 2013, 22:43
Can You elaborate why do You consider them better? Of course they were better in certain areas but they were abandoned also for certain reasons.

EightGear
19th June 2013, 11:36
Juho Hanninen linked to Citroen drive for Rally Finland - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108136)

Hanninen would seem a sensible choice. I don't understand why everybody keeps getting back to Atkinson, he has had some opportunities the last few months but didn't really impress.

Eli
19th June 2013, 13:45
what i ment to say was they were more exciting to watch and i now see they won't be comming back to it with all the financial trouble...

makinen_fan
19th June 2013, 13:55
what i ment to say was they were more exciting to watch and i now see they won't be comming back to it with all the financial trouble...

For me the current WRC cars are more exciting than the last 5-6 years of 2L WRCars, although not as exiting as the early WRCars. Anyway it seems that no homologation of updated cars will take place next year as we expected from the 3-year homologation window:
Volkswagen agrees to freeze development of WRC car - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108137)

Eli
19th June 2013, 14:27
if they would change the homoglation of the cars the sport will fall apart, they are in a very hard situation

Francis44
19th June 2013, 14:40
You bring an interesting point there. I've noticed some people I know have stopped spectating in World Rally's when the 2.0l WRC were banned, they say the current cars are far less enjoyable to watch. I dont agree with that, in fact I think 1.6L WRC cars hold a certain appeal the old ones didn't. However with recent discussions about R5 moving to top category I'm afraid it will throw more people off the sport than in. For me it's no big deal, I even enjoy watching an simple Saxo if properly driven.

Mirek
19th June 2013, 15:07

I agree with makinen_fan. First 2.0 WRC cars used to be crazy spectacular but those times are long over especially due to the suspension development. For me the last of those was the S12 being the only one among boring new generation of cars, especially Focus WRC 06-09 is for me the most boring WRC car ever.

About the 1.6T WRC cars I would say I like them a lot on gravel or snow but on asphalt it's worse, there I prefer even S2000 cars. Anyway the spectator's view is only one part of the story...

Eli
19th June 2013, 15:40
i would like the cars to be more group b like that's all and if they can do it without pulling out of the sport it would be nice

stefanvv
19th June 2013, 16:04
For me the current WRC cars are more exciting than the last 5-6 years of 2L WRCars, although not as exiting as the early WRCars. Anyway it seems that no homologation of updated cars will take place next year as we expected from the 3-year homologation window:
Volkswagen agrees to freeze development of WRC car - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108137)

Completely agree. Small cars appears to be more agile with 1.6l turbo than mid class 2.0l turbo

Mirek
19th June 2013, 16:11
i would like the cars to be more group b like that's all and if they can do it without pulling out of the sport it would be nice

What do You mean by "more gr.B"?

Do You mean to have so free rules? Imagine that now even stupid R3 car would do same asphalt stage faster than those gr.B supercars thirty years a go. The difference is mostly in cornering speed due to suspension and tyre development, much better brakes etc. With same free rules modern gr.B cars would be incredibly dangerous because they would be way way faster even with same power. Not speaking about development and production cost at all...

Or do You mean cars which were spectacular mostly because of their terrible handling and suspension? That was indeed spectacular but You can't go back in time and bring thirty years old dampers, brakes, engines with huge slow accelerating turbos and other ancient stuff to modern sport. Those days can never return because the development moved on.

The gr.B era was and will stay forever a fascinating times of our sport but it ended tragically like it one day had to. Let's not forget that. Our sport is dangerous enough even with the "boring shopping bags".

makinen_fan
19th June 2013, 16:27
Or do You mean cars which were spectacular mostly because of their terrible handling and suspension? .

I would love to see those terrible suspensions being used again in the top of the sport and have the best drivers to take those cars to the limit.
What is more exciting to watch?
a) a Celica Gr A or Delta Intergrale driven to the limit and bouncing around and you can tell that in the next couple of bump the car will leave the road
b) or todays cars with the out-of-this-world suspension making everything appear so effortless and under control?

For me is the first, but unfortunately as Mirek says, we cant turn the clock back in technology development

Mirek
19th June 2013, 17:00
I would love to see those terrible suspensions being used again in the top of the sport and have the best drivers to take those cars to the limit.

The top drivers would cope with it, I'm sure. Look at recent drive of Hans Weijs Jr. with the Golf III Kit Car. Exactly like it used to be in the good old days ;)
Hans Weijs Jr - full throttle | Rallye de Wallonie 2013 [HD] by JM - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUIQ7h3T8io)

What is more exciting to watch?
a) a Celica Gr A or Delta Intergrale driven to the limit and bouncing around and you can tell that in the next couple of bump the car will leave the road
b) or todays cars with the out-of-this-world suspension making everything appear so effortless and under control?

For sure I prefer those bouncing gr.A cars ;) For me the most spectacular cars ever are those of late gr.A and early WRC years (including F2 Kit Cars).

Eli
19th June 2013, 17:07
what i was trying to say was this: in the same way Group B changed the WRC, with today's technology you can get more power from smaller engines and you can still make good looking exotic cars without the costs too high. but first you need to keep the manufacturers in the WRC and bring some more or else the sport will die, so for the time being as most of you said- the WRC can't change yet.

polo10
19th June 2013, 17:15
I am Happy with these WRC 1.6 T, much better to watch than the 2.0 WRC, specially on Gravel they are amazing...I t is impossible to go back, so i think in terms of cars the way is the correct. I hope that the R5 never become the Top of the rally cars, because i think they will be a very good choice for private drivers around the World like they are now, but if they, in the future, will be the "new wrc", the costs wil increase a lot...

Donney
19th June 2013, 17:33
I would be happier with just 2wd, whether front or rear (preferably), Kit cars were spectacular enough, but I understand times are different now, and of course Kit cars were far from perfect in many aspects.

dimviii
19th June 2013, 18:46
I would be happier with just 2wd, whether front or rear (preferably), Kit cars were spectacular enough, but I understand times are different now, and of course Kit cars were far from perfect in many aspects.

also kitcars at gravel?

Co-FIN
19th June 2013, 20:41
Intresting trio, including one suprise. Atleast for me.. https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1008973_591123680908372_333356556_o.jpg

PLuto
19th June 2013, 20:49

We have seen experiments with 2WD as main category in some rally championship. And result was not good...

OldF
19th June 2013, 21:49
It was the group B cars that got me back to rallying for “full time” again. In fact it was already the Audi Quattro that got my interest increasing although it was a group 4 car but the Audi S1 E2 was the one that gave me the final WOW. The beginning of the group A era’s cars was also boring but in the late 80s and beginning of the 90s it was a lot better. As Timo Salonen said during the 1987 Monte something like:

“These mopeds are boring and you have to kick the clutch in the up hills to have some revs from the engine”. :D

Imo it was the increasing boost that made 2.0 l WRC cars sound so boring having their peak torque and near peak power already on low revs. As it’s written here (http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1wvd5/RaceEngineTechnology/resources/19.htm), page 20 (originally posted by makinen_fan):

“At the same time, mandatory 8500 rpm max engine speed has not had any real impact since, because of the effect of the restrictor, the current engine operates primarily within within the 5750 – 7250 rpm range. The high torque 2.0 litre engine was very close to its max power output all the way from 4000 to 7000 rpm.”

GigiGalliNo1
20th June 2013, 01:34
So Matton says Hanninen will drive AlQasimi's car in Finland...

Teme
20th June 2013, 09:19
So Matton says Hanninen will drive AlQasimi's car in Finland...

Well this is awesome news if this happens!!

I think Al-Attiyah is not coming to Finland either, so will Qatar WRT lend that car for someone else?

Roy
20th June 2013, 09:37

I think Al-Attiyah is not coming to Finland either, so will Qatar WRT lend that car for someone else?

Ketomaa maybe?

prisciou
20th June 2013, 10:55

They are not forced to replace it because "Qatar World Rally Team shall enter as a WRC Team with two cars, and their nominated events will differ between the two cars (waiver to WRC Art. 7.3.8).". In Argentina only Neuville represented Qatar WRT.

Kielder
20th June 2013, 10:57
According to Autosport, Hyundai will confirm Juho as its first driver next month. The newspaper confirms he was the man who recently tested the i20 WRC. They add, as it's known, that Meeke and P-G are being considered as possible team-mates.

tolis
20th June 2013, 14:48

Why? There are no Olympic Games this year... :D

noel157
20th June 2013, 16:53
If Hyundai announce Hanninen next month we may not see him in a DS3 at NORF, no?

rallye-vid
20th June 2013, 17:04
We will, if it's true.

He knows ford so let him drive citroen and tell the differences to the hyundai boys

noel157
20th June 2013, 22:09
Citroen may disagree with you.

EightGear
24th June 2013, 14:23
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108269

'Matton insists the decision to run a WTCC effort will not have any effect on Citroen's WRC commitment, despite speculation that the French manufacturer could pull out of rallying at the end of this season.

"I can only say what we say since December: we made an agreement with Abu Dhabi for three years," he explained.

"And nothing changes for the moment, there is no reason why we won't be there next year."

I'm also curious to see the reason why Hans Weijs jr. will drive a DS3 WRC on Rallye Terre de Langres entered by PH Sport next weekend...

Andre Oliveira
24th June 2013, 17:52
Armindo Araújo: " Kosciuszko called me and told me 'Armindo, now I know you've been through'"

In Autosport.pt (http://autosport.pt/armindo-araujo-o-kosciuszko-ligou-me-e-disse-me-armindo-agora-ja-sei-o-que-passaste=f113087)

MJW
24th June 2013, 19:57
Citroen boss says 2014 WTCC entry still likely - WTCC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108269)

'Matton insists the decision to run a WTCC effort will not have any effect on Citroen's WRC commitment, despite speculation that the French manufacturer could pull out of rallying at the end of this season.

"I can only say what we say since December: we made an agreement with Abu Dhabi for three years," he explained.

"And nothing changes for the moment, there is no reason why we won't be there next year."

I'm also curious to see the reason why Hans Weijs jr. will drive a DS3 WRC on Rallye Terre de Langres entered by PH Sport next weekend...
My guess is Citroen built cars (the existing wrc DS3's) could be run by PH Sport in Abu Dhabi racing colours for pay drivers in WRC 2014 (15) whilst Citroen go to WTCC and Peugeot wait the introduction of R5 as the top class and come in then. If indeed FIA allow or encourage manufacturer R5 cars, I would like to see the factories homologate the cars or kits and then leave it for teams to enter, a bit like the IRC of old.

Rallyper
24th June 2013, 20:09
For sure Citroen doesn´t want to spoil the infrastructure they built up in WRC, such as trucks, service buildings, personnel, etz. They will for sure be in for the next years as well.

kolin
25th June 2013, 09:28
Ketomaa maybe?

Maybe Tänak

Vaggelis27
25th June 2013, 11:50
World Rally Championship - News - Citroen to discuss WRC return with Loeb (http://www.wrc.com/news/citroen-to-discuss-wrc-return-with-loeb/?fid=18742)

Leon
25th June 2013, 12:04
F. Banzet: "I'm proud to confirm that @Citroen will compete in the 2014 @FIA_WTCC with Seb #Loeb" #WTCC

EightGear
25th June 2013, 12:12
F. Banzet: "With our @FIA_WTCC program we are able to reduce the @Citroen motorsport budget." #WTCC

I'm scared.

EightGear
25th June 2013, 12:14
Y. Matton: "Thanks to our partnership with @AbuDhabiRacing1 we'll be in #WRC next year, with new targets."

My fear has been lowered.

Mintexmemory
25th June 2013, 12:47
But expect new drivers! I think we will see a number of guys having one-off DS3 WRC rides over the next 4 months in national events ;)

MJW
25th June 2013, 13:30
Press releases can be (deliberately) misleading - if you read what Yves Matton says it is that 'our partnership with Abu Dhabi is set to be re-infoced, enabling us to continue to be involved in WRC with a new system and new objectives.
Does this mean pay drivers? WRC cars, R5 car, R3 car? The Abu Dhabi junior team with drivers from the Middle East? One thing I can be certain of judging bythe financial state of the PSA Group any company money will be going to the new toy of WTCC, especially as favoured son Seb Loeb is going there too. Citroen's rally involvement wont be like what we have seen for teh last ten years.

RS
25th June 2013, 14:04
I guess something like M-Sport have with Qatar & Ford, probably using PHSport. Until Peugeot make a WRC comeback (if they can afford it)?

MJW
25th June 2013, 14:09
I guess something like M-Sport have with Qatar & Ford, probably using PHSport. Until Peugeot make a WRC comeback (if they can afford it)?
I think that will depend on the status of R5. Assuming Hyundai come in to wrc as expected we still have 2 manufacturers. Imagine if it was the might of VW factory team against Qatar MSport and AbuDhabi PHSport Citroen.

tolis
26th June 2013, 14:30
PG tested the 207 the last 2 days and had an accident..
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1001826_10201421103876019_1079735565_n.jpg

Hartusvuori
26th June 2013, 14:40
That's the Hankook test result?

Rallyper
26th June 2013, 15:43
That's the Hankook test result?

Well, it doesn´t look good, but as far as we don´t know what happened or the cause of the accident, let´s hope it wasn´t PG´s fault... Rather some technical...

Hartusvuori
27th June 2013, 15:30
Julian Ingrassia injured his collarbone in a mountain bike accident. He will miss next weeks tests for Trier but will eventually join Ogier in Finland. Klinger steps in for the tests.

Francis44
27th June 2013, 15:54
Rally de Portugal 2014 confirmed to move to north, service park in Porto area.

Sardalense
27th June 2013, 17:18

Source?

Eli
27th June 2013, 17:37
so to summarize next year's calendar:
Monte-Carlo
Sweden
Mexico
Brazil
Argentina
Portugal
China
Poland
Finalnd
France
Spain
Wales GB

Francis44
27th June 2013, 19:05
Source?

Someone I know from the organization.

Motorsportfun
27th June 2013, 19:23
Monte-Carlo
Sweden
Mexico
Brazil
Argentina
Portugal
China
Poland
Finalnd
France
Spain
Wales GB

LOL

Arwel Davies
27th June 2013, 19:35
A return for Tommi in Finland?? Awesome stuff

https://www.facebook.com/Racingist?hc_location=stream

pantealex
27th June 2013, 21:38
A return for Tommi in Finland?? Awesome stuff

https://www.facebook.com/Racingist?hc_location=stream

He will be 50y next year, so NO
Rumour says that he will drive Croskart in Killeri SSS

vkangas
27th June 2013, 22:29
He will be 50y next year, so NO
Rumour says that he will drive Croskart in Killeri SSS
I would not rule it out yet... The "rule" has been around 50... Also Tommi gave quite cryptic interview to MTV3 today..

vkangas
27th June 2013, 22:40
A short & rough translation of MTV3's interview about Tommi's picture... :) http://img.mtv3.fi/mn_kuvat/mtv3/urheilu/1024px/2013/006/1696691.jpg

Whats this mystic picture about?
-Well...we'll see. Time will tell...
Is it possible that you will drive rally car in Jyväskylä
- Don't know yet... well see. I can't comment more yet that what I have in mind. Maybe I will figure it out.
How does the idea of driving in home rally sound to you?
- Heh heh, there it goes. I have to think a moment what the future brings. Obvioiusly it's not a stupid idea, but... (mumbling) We'll see, we'll see

Hartusvuori
28th June 2013, 05:09
I would go with crosskart. Pessimisti ei pety.

smokin'joe
28th June 2013, 05:43
Monte-Carlo
Sweden
Mexico
Brazil
Argentina
Portugal
China
Poland
Finalnd
France
Spain
Wales GB

guess this must be true, no NZ or Australia................i just read it on the interwebz thingy !!

Arska
28th June 2013, 07:13

Itsekin ajattelin, että vois olla crosskarteissa mukana. Sellainen on fiilis.

Yeah I'd think that too. Somehow it doesn't feel like he's going to take part in the rally but the crosskarts might seem like a realistic option.
However if he's going to drive his fifties then he'd have to come back next year ;)

vkangas
28th June 2013, 08:27
My fear too...would be a really lame advertising attempt... Let's hope not. :)

sindroms
28th June 2013, 09:16
My fear too...would be a really lame advertising attempt... Let's hope not. :)

How about that?
- WRC ‏@OfficialWRC (https://twitter.com/OfficialWRC)Tommi is back! @RallyFinland (https://twitter.com/RallyFinland) Zero Car has the main man.

millbrook
28th June 2013, 09:50
:( (

millbrook
28th June 2013, 09:54
No more Acropolis, Italy/Sardinia & New Zealand/Australia, but still two events in France.
Pfffff.... shame on you mr. Todt & mss. Mouton.

Monte-Carlo
Sweden
Mexico
Brazil
Argentina
Portugal
China
Poland
Finalnd
France
Spain
Wales GB

Motorsportfun
28th June 2013, 09:59
guess this must be true, no NZ or Australia................i just read it on the interwebz thingy !!

Come on, how can be true that?

A WRC season without a GERMAN round while VOLKSWAGEN is involved? :rotflmao:

Mintexmemory
28th June 2013, 10:43
Mexico will go and China won't get in - only Poland and Brazil in my view but hey sometimes I'm wrong ;)

Francis44
28th June 2013, 10:48
:( (

You prefer it in the South? To be honest I prefer the South aswell, we will see how things work in the North.

HarriK
28th June 2013, 11:15

I would think that too.
Note that there is only day 1.8 at this picture. So not the whole rally days.

Sardalense
28th June 2013, 11:28
You prefer it in the South? To be honest I prefer the South aswell, we will see how things work in the North.

Almost everyone who goes to Algarve prefer the rally there, great stages, great service park location, it's all there!. Most of the people that says that the rally should go north, stopped watching rallying in 2001 when the rally moved his location and they lost the rally in their doorsteps. Since then the rally is crap!

Andre Oliveira
28th June 2013, 11:31

2 WRC Fafe Sprint run perfectly, without incidents. People change, rules change, and organzations change... If the rally will be at North, i have no doubts that it will be a fantastic event with safety.

The only crazy people, now, are the photographers ; :)

http://www.ewrc.cz/images/2012/ostatni/fafe/Raw00848.jpg

Eli
28th June 2013, 11:34
No more Acropolis, Italy/Sardinia & New Zealand/Australia, but still two events in France.
Pfffff.... shame on you mr. Todt & mss. Mouton.
What i wrote down there is what i think i the calendar will be from the article in autosport, it looks as if it will be like it, but it's not final and it's only my opinion. sorry for the mix up.

Vaggelis27
28th June 2013, 12:53
Didier Auriol entry to French Rally Championship Round "Rallye du Rouergue" with 207 S2000

rallyfiend
28th June 2013, 13:56
What i wrote down there is what i think i the calendar will be from the article in autosport, it looks as if it will be like it, but it's not final and it's only my opinion. sorry for the mix up.

There will have to be a round in either Australia or New Zealand in order to meet the principles of number of continents and FIA regions to be covered. The question is whether rotation will continue or whether NZ will get dumped.

I also don't believe that both Brazil and China will be given slots. Neither have confirmed that a candidate event is going to take place yet, so they won't put them on the calendar.

Mexico wil stay, it's needed to hit the 'North American' continent requirement.

I think it will be the same as this year, but with no Greece.

dimviii
28th June 2013, 14:18
FIA seeks to improve safety in rolls in the WRC - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108345)

Kielder
28th June 2013, 15:19
"FIA WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP AND RALLYING
With immediate effect and for budget reasons, WRC Team and WRC 2 entrants are not obliged to use the latest ‘joker’ parts when competing in WRC events.
In order to promote the entry of R-GT cars in FIA rallies, with immediate effect tuners will be permitted to develop cars, in accordance with the criteria defining eligible cars. The FIA will issue a technical passport, allowing the car to be eligible for events accepting R-GT cars.

With effect from 1 January 2014:
As a general rule, organisers of WRC events must ensure a minimum of 25% competitive special stage distance in relation to the overall distance of the event.
Manufacturer and WRC Team cars from the same entrant will be permitted to enter Flexi-Service at the same time, having their service times counted independently.
In order to give more flexibility, WRC Teams will no longer be obliged to nominate a tyre manufacturer for the season.
In order to extend the life of World Rally Cars, manufacturers will be permitted to re-homologate 2011, 2012 and 2013 cars without any modification, except one single chassis and engine joker for 2014. In order to facilitate the replacement of S2000 Rally cars with Group R5, S2000 regulations will not be continued after 2013 and will be replaced by new R5 homologation regulations. Existing S2000 homologations will be frozen and may no longer receive an extension for the rest of their homologation period, except for one single engine and chassis joker.
The minimum weight of R5 cars has been increased from 1200 to 1230 kg to avoid the use of expensive options and keep the cost of the complete car within the stated limit.
From 2015, classes R1, R2 and R3 will be permitted to use super-charged engines, in line with the evolution of series engines.
With immediate effect, the number of permitted tyres for events in the FIA European Rally Championship has been set at 20, plus an additional four if shakedown is included in the itinerary, for cars in Classes 2 and 3. In addition, hand cutting will not be permitted, unless authorised in very special circumstances by the Stewards for safety reasons.
From 2014, the number of coefficients allocated to the events in the European Rally Cup has been reduced to three, namely 20, 15 and 10."

World Motor Sport Council | Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (http://www.fia.com/news/world-motor-sport-council-1)

Juha_Koo
28th June 2013, 16:09
FIA seeks to improve safety in rolls in the WRC - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108345)

"... an area brought into sharp focus by Mads Ostberg's crash on Rally Italy last week.Ostberg's Ford Fiesta RS WRC had to have the A-pillar section of its rollcage cut out and replaced during last week's Olbia-based event, as it sustained damage in a crash on the Friday of the rally."

Interesting, I didn't know anything about that... Any photos?

dimviii
28th June 2013, 16:43
Julian Porter ‏@The_Rally_Guru (https://twitter.com/The_Rally_Guru) 5ω (https://twitter.com/The_Rally_Guru/status/350563966629584896) An interesting off the cuff remark from @krismeeke (https://twitter.com/krismeeke) - I will test 4 different cars in the next 2 weeks! A man in demand

SubaruNorway
28th June 2013, 21:17
"... an area brought into sharp focus by Mads Ostberg's crash on Rally Italy last week.Ostberg's Ford Fiesta RS WRC had to have the A-pillar section of its rollcage cut out and replaced during last week's Olbia-based event, as it sustained damage in a crash on the Friday of the rally."

Interesting, I didn't know anything about that... Any photos?

I didn't know you could do that, or are there certain sections you are allowed to change if they are damaged?
Marius Aasen had a tiny dent in the rollcage right next to the seat and he had to retire in Greece...

noel157
29th June 2013, 09:20
Julian Porter ‏@The_Rally_Guru (https://twitter.com/The_Rally_Guru) 5ω (https://twitter.com/The_Rally_Guru/status/350563966629584896) An interesting off the cuff remark from @krismeeke (https://twitter.com/krismeeke) - I will test 4 different cars in the next 2 weeks! A man in demand

208 R2, T16, DS3 WRC and DS3 R5.
NORF may be back on the cards.
Of course Hyundai might be one, but I don't think so.

PS- just thinking out loud, hard to get anything right in this game.. :)

OldF
29th June 2013, 11:23
In order to promote the entry of R-GT cars in FIA rallies, with immediate effect tuners will be permitted to develop cars, in accordance with the criteria defining eligible cars. The FIA will issue a technical passport, allowing the car to be eligible for events accepting R-GT cars.

I interpret this that the cars don’t have to be homologated in the traditional way by the manufacturer. Maybe this will help to have more R-GT cars in rallies?
Would also be nice for privateers in other classes.

Juha_Koo
29th June 2013, 12:23
I didn't know you could do that, or are there certain sections you are allowed to change if they are damaged?
Marius Aasen had a tiny dent in the rollcage right next to the seat and he had to retire in Greece...

I was wondering the same thing...

Vaggelis27
29th June 2013, 12:26
208 R2, T16, DS3 WRC and DS3 R5.
NORF may be back on the cards.
Of course Hyundai might be one, but I don't think so.

PS- just thinking out loud, hard to get anything right in this game.. :)

http://www.rallye-sport.fr/kris-meeke-en-finlande-sur-une-ds3-wrc/

Mintexmemory
29th June 2013, 12:46
Kris Meeke en Finlande sur une DS3 WRC (http://www.rallye-sport.fr/kris-meeke-en-finlande-sur-une-ds3-wrc/)

Now we will see the true current measure of DS3's capability without Loeb. Mikko and Dani must see this as a trial for Kris to replace one of them

Eli
29th June 2013, 13:02
MAXRALLY - Meeke lands Citroen ride for Rally Finland (http://www.maxrally.com/2013/06/29/meeke-lands-citroen-ride-for-rally-finland) yep it's confirmed

Fast Eddie WRC
29th June 2013, 14:03
Great news to have another Brit back in the WRC if only for one rally... :)

So happy for Meeke as he has been waiting patiently for a drive since Mini let him go so unfortunately.

Hope Finland goes well for him and it leads to a full-time drive in the WRC with any team in 2014...

Barreis
29th June 2013, 16:02
Another bad driver decision from citroen.

Rally Hokkaido
29th June 2013, 16:34

I too was wondering the same thing when I first saw pix of the M-sport guys cutting it away in the Service Park, then I realised that they were complying with the FIA reg that says only the rollcage's manufacturer can repair it!

Juha_Koo
29th June 2013, 16:54
I too was wondering the same thing when I first saw pix of the M-sport guys cutting it away in the Service Park, then I realised that they were complying with the FIA reg that says only the rollcage's manufacturer can repair it!

Where's the picture?

noel157
29th June 2013, 16:57
Great news to have another Brit back in the WRC if only for one rally... :)

So happy for Meeke as he has been waiting patiently for a drive since Mini let him go so unfortunately.

Hope Finland goes well for him and it leads to a full-time drive in the WRC with any team in 2014...

Not sure about the Brit part but we'll not go there......

Local chat was that he had got it but like everything, until it's official it ain't happening.

Mintexmemory
29th June 2013, 17:13
@noel157. I''m Desperate for this to work out so Kris gets a permanent ride, don't begrudge us Brits someone to get behind, I'm tired of hearing La Marseiies played at the podium ceremony on every trip I make to see WRC in Europe ;)

makinen_fan
29th June 2013, 17:35
Hope it works out well for Kris and that he gets a decent chance to test before the rally.

makinen_fan
29th June 2013, 17:44
Change of date of the Cyprus Rally (MERC). Now it is held on 11-13 October. See page 10 here:
http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/basicpage/file/2013FullCalendar_39.pdf

rallyfun
29th June 2013, 18:23
Now we will see the true current measure of DS3's capability without Loeb. Mikko and Dani must see this as a trial for Kris to replace one of them

You aren't serious are you?

Mintexmemory
29th June 2013, 20:46
You aren't serious are you? Matton will need to know if the lacklustre performances by the current joint No 2s is the car or psychology. Expect Meeke to be under orders to go as hard as he can. -If the team mates don't match him then something will have to give. This is no rookie chance or someone like Atko who had no experience with the DS3. What would you do if you were Matton?

Miika
30th June 2013, 08:00
If Meeke matches Mikko´s pace / beats him speedwise in Finland then Mikko can return his overalls to France right away and concentrate on competing with that barbecue grill he recently tested.

A FONDO
30th June 2013, 08:37
Everyone can match Mikko's pace. The question is how soon after that he will crash? Hirvonen should finally retire but Meek is not the man to replace him.

RS
30th June 2013, 12:13
If Meeke matches Mikko´s pace / beats him speedwise in Finland then Mikko can return his overalls to France right away and concentrate on competing with that barbecue grill he recently tested.

Yes, the key here is in Finland.. if Mikko can't do a good job here then it's time to give up. It would have been more interesting to see Meeke or some other drivers on different rallies maybe. Hanninen in Finland, Meeke in Australia and GB, Bouffier in France...

noel157
30th June 2013, 12:17
Matton will need to know if the lacklustre performances by the current joint No 2s is the car or psychology. Expect Meeke to be under orders to go as hard as he can. -If the team mates don't match him then something will have to give. This is no rookie chance or someone like Atko who had no experience with the DS3. What would you do if you were Matton?

No, don't think Matton will say anything like that. Bring it home top 6, nothing more. Yep, experience of DS3 and will get more testing over the next month or so but testing and competition as we all know are totally different. I don't think Meeke is being brought in to "shake up" or "wake up" Mikko and Dani. He's simply just a good (very good in my opinion) and suitable replacement for a spare seat. Yes, of course Meeke wants to do his best and something may come of that and I hope it does. A further 1 or 2 drives this season would give Meeke more experience in competition in the car and then perhaps a small degree of comparison can be made. Matton has faith in him and has had for many years. A good result (in all ways) will certainly do Kris no harm at all.

mohit
30th June 2013, 12:21
any news about petter getting back to WRC in 2014 or this year.

i suppose citoren will be giving him a car for sure for GB this year and may be next year too.

noel157
30th June 2013, 12:25
any news about petter getting back to WRC in 2014 or this year.

i suppose citoren will be giving him a car for sure for GB this year and may be next year too.

Why?

mohit
30th June 2013, 12:27
he can perform he just needs to keep his head calm

Mintexmemory
30th June 2013, 13:02
he can perform he just needs to keep his head calm

I feel sorry for Petter fans.It must be hard to accept he is no longer wanted as a Factory Number 1 and he is too proud to be a Number 2 or a paying driver. It is for those reasons that Petter's WRC career really is over, not having won a WRC event since 2005 doesn't improve his attractiveness to Citroen or Hyundai

julkki
30th June 2013, 13:47
Absolutely crazy to assume that Meeke would get to Mikko's pace, especially in Finland. Maybe in a rally like Rally GB but I would highly doubt that too. That true that Mikko isn't enough for Citroen 1. seat. But there's just few that could do better.

Citroen's biggest mistake was to let Neuville go...

denkimi
30th June 2013, 15:17
Absolutely crazy to assume that Meeke would get to Mikko's pace, especially in Finland. Maybe in a rally like Rally GB but I would highly doubt that too. That true that Mikko isn't enough for Citroen 1. seat. But there's just few that could do better.

Citroen's biggest mistake was to let Neuville go...
their biggest mistake was throwing ogier out for 1 extra year of loeb.

they could have had ogier and neuville in 1 team.

AndyRAC
30th June 2013, 15:43
Citroen don't make may mistakes, but that is a big one. They were that desperate to keep hold of Loeb that they let Ogier go, who along with Neuville was their future.
With Loeb often professing a wish to drive powerful cars and/or a racing programme - they promised him a Racing series - sadly it was the WTCC. Not sure that's what he really wanted....

Formaldehyde
30th June 2013, 18:45
Loeb shattered the previous record at Pikes Peak by almost 90 seconds.
His time: 8.13.878

rallyfiend
30th June 2013, 19:51
If the Live coverage of Pikes Peak is anything to judge the performance of Red Bull Media House and Live coverage of rallying, then the WRC is in big trouble......

dimviii
30th June 2013, 20:52
Julian Ingrassia injured his collarbone in a mountain bike accident. He will miss next weeks tests for Trier but will eventually join Ogier in Finland. Klinger steps in for the tests.

:D
http://www.forum-rallye.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=4955

jbmarcus21
30th June 2013, 21:43
Photos => Record pour Peugeot Sport et Loeb à Pikes Peak 2013 !!! (http://planetemarcus.com/record-pour-peugeot-sport-et-loeb-a-pikes-peak-2013/)

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/8443/m5tv.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/m5tv.jpg/)

Franky
30th June 2013, 22:12
If the Live coverage of Pikes Peak is anything to judge the performance of Red Bull Media House and Live coverage of rallying, then the WRC is in big trouble......

Could you elaborate?

MJW
30th June 2013, 22:16
Could you elaborate?

Did you not watch it? two commentators who didn't know what they were talking about, break up on video stream, missed the important parts, no live timing, need I go on?

Franky
1st July 2013, 08:02
Did you not watch it? two commentators who didn't know what they were talking about, break up on video stream, missed the important parts, no live timing, need I go on?

Obviously I didn't. Just checked Sebs run and it is as terrible as your post suggest it to be.

Eli
1st July 2013, 10:47
so i was thinking, if Peugeot quit Le-Mans last year, and is now developing a replacement for the 207 S200 (A.K.A 208 R5/T16), will it make a WRC version-will they join the WRC next year, or the year after that?

MJW
1st July 2013, 21:45
Now this is good. Peugeot Sports view of things.

Peugeot Sport - home (http://www.peugeot-sport.com/en/home.html)

SubaruNorway
1st July 2013, 22:25
Now this is good. Peugeot Sports view of things.

Peugeot Sport - home (http://www.peugeot-sport.com/en/home.html)

Shame the sound is a second out of sync though

Kielder
2nd July 2013, 00:46

I really hope the one you know from the organisation is wrong. I watched the rally six times in the North and the six ones in the South and I can say that both versions are good examples of their times. The two editions of Fafe Rally Sprint were great too, but they can create the false belief that it's possible to revive the old Rally of Portugal. The rally in the South, as we know rallying nowadays, is perfect.

We have a long way of fights between politicians:
Rui Rio wants assurances from Porto's town hall to advance to the Rally of Portugal (http://translate.google.es/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&prev=_t&hl=gl&ie=UTF-8&u=http://autosport.pt/rui-rio-quer-garantias-dos-candidatos-a-cmp-para-avancar-com-o-rali-de-portugal%3Df113271&authuser=0)

Francis44
2nd July 2013, 08:39
I really hope the one you know from the organisation is wrong. I watched the rally six times in the North and the six ones in the South and I can say that both versions are good examples of their times. The two editions of Fafe Rally Sprint were great too, but they can create the false belief that it's possible to revive the old Rally of Portugal. The rally in the South, as we know rallying nowadays, is perfect.

We have a long way of fights between politicians:
Rui Rio wants assurances from Porto's town hall to advance to the Rally of Portugal (http://translate.google.es/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&prev=_t&hl=gl&ie=UTF-8&u=http://autosport.pt/rui-rio-quer-garantias-dos-candidatos-a-cmp-para-avancar-com-o-rali-de-portugal%3Df113271&authuser=0)

I agree with you aswell, I must say that I've come to prefer the rally in the south.

However as things stand right now it's probably not the question if the rally will move, because that is more or less definied, it's wether or not it will have base in Porto.

Kielder
2nd July 2013, 09:46
Very interesting interview with Matton. He says that Citroen Racing will stay next year in the WRC with three cars, though Al-Qassimi will do less events. He hasn't decided yet the drivers for 2014. Finland will be a test for Mikko and Germany for Sordo. It's clear that if they don't fight for the win they're out.

http://www.autopista.es/deportes/mundial-rallyes/articulo/wrc-entrevista-yves-matton-citroen-futuro-dani-sordo

noel157
2nd July 2013, 10:05
Very interesting interview with Matton. He says that Citroen Racing will stay next year in the WRC with three cars, though Al-Qassimi will do less events. He hasn't decided yet the drivers for 2014. Finland will be a test for Mikko and Germany for Sordo. It's clear that if they don't fight for the win they're out.

http://www.autopista.es/deportes/mundial-rallyes/articulo/wrc-entrevista-yves-matton-citroen-futuro-dani-sordo

Both drivers on a warning....and both contracts up this year too I think. As you say, interesting..........

Francis44
2nd July 2013, 11:55

Very interesting indeed.

It's pretty obvious WTCC will be Citroen priority from now, however reading this interview I feel they will still commit to rally and they talk about more partnership with Abu Dhabi, which must mean more money.

Other than that Matton clearly says that if Mikko isn't able to fight for the victory in Finland and Sordo in Germany they are off.

Kielder
2nd July 2013, 12:04
It's pretty obvious WTCC will be Citroen priority from now, however reading this interview I feel they will still commit to rally and they talk about more partnership with Abu Dhabi, which must mean more money.

Therefore...

http://www.carpassion.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/208wrc.jpg

:D

Sardalense
2nd July 2013, 14:22
Rally of Portugal 2014 is confirmed in... Algarve! :)

Comunicado - Vodafone Rally de portugal 2014*<*Comunicados (http://www.acp.pt/o-clube/saiba-mais/comunicados/comunicados/entity/comunicado-vodafone-rally-de-portugal-2014)

Francis44
2nd July 2013, 14:31
Rally of Portugal 2014 is confirmed in... Algarve! :)

Comunicado - Vodafone Rally de portugal 2014*<*Comunicados (http://www.acp.pt/o-clube/saiba-mais/comunicados/comunicados/entity/comunicado-vodafone-rally-de-portugal-2014)

Oh well, my insider made me look like a douche :D . However I think this is good news.

Sardalense
2nd July 2013, 14:34
Oh well, my insider made me look like a douch :D . However I think this is good news.

I had the same info as you and when I asked you for your source I thought that was official. They really wanted to move the rally to Porto.

Francis44
2nd July 2013, 14:46
I had the same info as you and when I asked you for your source I thought that was official. They really wanted to move the rally to Porto.

Yeah I was told be a friend of mine working on the organization that they even started running searches for people to help in the north (Voluntary). Politics were definitely the cause of the setback.

Luis Pacheco
2nd July 2013, 15:41

Launched rockets and now someone will take all the canes ...

Francis44
2nd July 2013, 16:02

As I said before, that was the information given to me be a person working in ACP. It seems some local politicians dont know how to commit and sign a peace of paper.
The rally is already structured and designed in the North, it will still happen sooner or later.

Kielder
2nd July 2013, 16:19
I strongly believe that Rally of Portugal staying in the South is the right choice. It's true that in the North there would be a crowd on the stages, but most of them are those who, as Sardalense has written, think the rally is crap since 2001. Most of them don't attend to the rally to see the cars, as we saw in Fafe these two years. I'm sure it would be impossible to see the same number of stages in the North.
The way I see it, the phrase that sums up the communicate is this one: "The organisation of an event of this scale (...) requires responsibility, seriousness and willingness". The organisation saw storm clouds on the horizon, so they made a clean break.
The last but not the least, the weather. In fact, this year they eliminated the leg of Tavira to avoid phantoms from the past.
Next year, after driving for 50 kms from home, when passing by Ponte de Lima, I'll reconsider if it's better to celebrate the rally in the South remaining more than 600 kms ahead. :D

Sardalense
2nd July 2013, 17:43

They were ready and wanted to move north, 100% sure about that.

TheFlyingTuga
2nd July 2013, 19:58
The ACP President just wanted a lit bit of money and in the North our politics do things the right way! Anyway, what's important is that Portugal still have a WRC round. North, South, Center... doesn't matter! True fans will be there, no matter where. Stages are great in each side, and I guess in the north will have problems with some spectators! You can control a crowd in a 6km stage... controling crowds in 3/4 20k stages would be more difficult!

jbmarcus21
3rd July 2013, 15:50
Team VW prepare Wrc Deutschland Rally with Mikkelsen today
Gallerie Photos => Le Team Volkswagen Motorsport en préparation pour le Rallye Wrc Allemagne 2013 (http://planetemarcus.com/le-team-volkswagen-motorsport-en-preparation-pour-le-rallye-wrc-allemagne-2013/)

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8408/8cvu.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/8cvu.jpg/)

tfp
4th July 2013, 16:41
Sebastien Loeb says adding extra WRC events 'not the plan' - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108534?source=mostpopular)

dont know if this is considered 'news' but...

jbmarcus21
4th July 2013, 18:57
And today was Ogier who tested Germany event
Gallery Photos Le Team Volkswagen Motorsport en préparation pour le Rallye Wrc Allemagne 2013 (http://planetemarcus.com/le-team-volkswagen-motorsport-en-preparation-pour-le-rallye-wrc-allemagne-2013/)

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5886/xku3.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/xku3.jpg/)

makinen_fan
4th July 2013, 21:45
An article about the Twitter account of WRC and the mess it is in:
sackrebleu's world - Who exactly is running the @OfficialWRC twitter account? (http://sackrebleu.livejournal.com/10213.html)

For me this article is so true! It reflects the sad state of our sport in WRC level

Kielder
5th July 2013, 00:25
I couldn't agree more with what is said on the article. In addition, most of the times it is written on it news which was already published everywhere as well as wrong information. To make matters worse, once I found there a pic without the photographer's signature, which was deliberately cut.

rallye-vid
5th July 2013, 15:37
Hänninen will be the first Hyundai driver next season.

Google Übersetzer (http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rallye-magazin.de%2Frallyes%2Fwm%2Fnachrichten%2Fnews-detail%2Fd%2F2013%2F07%2F05%2Fhaenninen-uebernimmt-i20-wrc%2Findex.html)

OldF
5th July 2013, 20:23
It would be very good news if Juho get a seat with Hyundai. If I understood it correctly from the “Google Übersetzer”, Juho will take the responsibility from Gilles testing the i20. Imo Gilles would be still a good tarmac test driver. I always remember when he explained why it’s nice to drive twisty tarmac stages.

“I like when I goes fiu fiu" (I don’t know how to write it in English) making “snake” movements with his hand. :)

jbmarcus21
5th July 2013, 21:03
and the 3rd for Latvala and VW testing Deutschland Rally !
Gallery Photos ==> Le Team Volkswagen Motorsport en préparation pour le Rallye Wrc Allemagne 2013 (http://planetemarcus.com/le-team-volkswagen-motorsport-en-preparation-pour-le-rallye-wrc-allemagne-2013/)

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3340/ec9u.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/209/ec9u.jpg/)

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4395/o1vf.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/o1vf.jpg/)

Kielder
10th July 2013, 13:30
It would better a Polish driver than a Polish rally... ;)

Poland leads race as World Rally Championship plans new 2014 event - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108708)

Mirek
10th July 2013, 13:34
I don't understand Your comment. Poland 2009 was a brilliant event.

Kielder
10th July 2013, 13:41
I don't understand Your comment. Poland 2009 was a brilliant event.

Yes, it was. However, if we had to choose, most of us would prefer Kubica in Citroen next year instead of that event back on the calendar. Let's hope both become true. :)

PLuto
10th July 2013, 19:52
Rajd Polski will be in WRC next year. There are some changes in Poland, they have a big budget now and very good influence at FIA.

Barreis
10th July 2013, 21:30
Well, if Solowow has his fingers in that, then it's no problem. Guy can buy FIA.

rallyfun
10th July 2013, 21:40
Well, if Solowow has his fingers in that, then it's no problem. Guy can buy FIA.

He doesn't like to spent his own money on that kind of stuff.

Barreis
10th July 2013, 21:44
How do you know? That's for peanuts in his world...

Jordib
11th July 2013, 07:47
Rajd Polski will be in WRC next year. There are some changes in Poland, they have a big budget now and very good influence at FIA.

Waiting for dates, i would like to visit the rally next year. Do you know wich month will be run?

rallyfun
11th July 2013, 08:04
Waiting for dates, i would like to visit the rally next year. Do you know wich month will be run?

There were some talks about September.

rallyfun
11th July 2013, 08:10
How do you know? That's for peanuts in his world...

Because he is not involved in anything but his ralling (and never was as far as I know). He could easly afford to sponsor a rally, WRC team or drive WRC car but as he said it's too expensive, he has got his own principals.

GigiGalliNo1
11th July 2013, 15:34
What does he do (other than rally) to be able to sponsor a rally/team/driver?

EightGear
11th July 2013, 15:38
http://www.forbes.com/profile/michal-solowow/

Barreis
11th July 2013, 16:40
FIA launches probe into World Rally Championship timing - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108726)

Franky
11th July 2013, 17:07
FIA launches probe into World Rally Championship timing - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108726)

"I am not making excuses, but our timing system is very high technology for some of the local marshals to use."

Hahaa, Stage One Technology used stone age technology?

rallyfun
11th July 2013, 18:07
"I am not making excuses, but our timing system is very high technology for some of the local marshals to use."

Hahaa, Stage One Technology used stone age technology?

That excuse only prove that timing system by SIT is useless. How come split times and emergency signals depend on local marshals? What is he on about?

rallyfiend
11th July 2013, 18:19
That excuse only prove that timing system by SIT is useless. How come split times and emergency signals depend on local marshals? What is he on about?

He says timing system there. The tracking system is separate.

rallyfun
11th July 2013, 19:06
He says timing system there. The tracking system is separate.

It doesn't matter, with Stage One there was no such embarrassment. The point is they can't deliver quality WRC requires and excuses make things even worse, we don't need excuses we need improvement or proper guys.

rallyfiend
11th July 2013, 19:21
It doesn't matter, with Stage One there was no such embarrassment. The point is they can't deliver quality WRC requires and excuses make things even worse, we don't need excuses we need improvement or proper guys.

People seem to have a short memory as to the amount of complaining that used to happen on this very webiste when Stage One was doing the timing as to how shoddy the splits etc were.

Clearly they were a bit better than today, but let's not attach some rosy glow to the past.....

Franky
11th July 2013, 19:48
People seem to have a short memory as to the amount of complaining that used to happen on this very webiste when Stage One was doing the timing as to how shoddy the splits etc were.

Clearly they were a bit better than today, but let's not attach some rosy glow to the past.....

I just remember that the main problems with WRC.com and splits during S1T times was that the times froze. I might be wrong, but I guess that was more to do with an overloaded server? Because I remember that the WRR got the splits.

tfp
11th July 2013, 23:23

Agree, and in this day and age surely the one thing they should be able to get right are split times, on time and in the right order.

rallyfun
12th July 2013, 08:35

Do you remember how many times teams copmlained about Stage One splits? Or how often tracking didn't work? I can't remember and even tracking app on my phone worked perfect. I am not that concern about wrc.com or apps but if crews or teams complain that is very bad and there are no excuses.

wrc1600
12th July 2013, 08:52
Lets put it that way, their (SIT) performance speaks for themselves and that's that.

Francis44
12th July 2013, 10:56
Luca Betti will be in Rally Vinho Madeira with Fiesta, the organization says S2000 but in the pictures the car is clearly an RRC.

Barreis
12th July 2013, 13:25
Not WRC section.

Francis44
12th July 2013, 14:11
Not WRC section.

I see that, sorry. Just thought it wasn't worth to start a new thread for the european cups since there isn't much interest from drivers.

Andre Oliveira
12th July 2013, 14:37
We need a Portuguese topic :)

Barreis
12th July 2013, 15:14
Juho Hanninen to continue M-Sport WRC outings - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108729)

GigiGalliNo1
15th July 2013, 08:19
Seriously WRC.. Who is running it?

Past few weeks posting about F1, other NON related WRC topics, and couldn't even spell correctly in others!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/15/u6y4a9e9.jpg

Juha_Koo
15th July 2013, 09:01

Past few weeks posting about F1, other NON related WRC topics, and couldn't even spell correctly in others!

I don't understand why the f*ck people whine about that Twitter account as it's been evident for months that both the "official" WRC accounts in Twitter and Instagram are fakes. Unfollow and get over it. Web is full of imposers.

sindroms
15th July 2013, 09:13
I don't understand why the f*ck people whine about that Twitter account as it's been evident for months that both the "official" WRC accounts in Twitter and Instagram are fakes. Unfollow and get over it. Web is full of imposers.

This is not the case. Look at wrc.com page above - by clicking on "twitter" button...

Miika
15th July 2013, 09:14

The Twitter account is linked in the top navigation on wrc.com. Slick job by the imposer.

EDIT: Slow me.

Juha_Koo
15th July 2013, 09:19
Dafuq... Interesting to say the least!

I'm still 100% sure that the Twitter account is run by someone else than the WRC media regulars. That backgroung image doesn't look like McKlein photo or then it's a big crop from original. I've never even bothered to check the account's "status" as it's been always so amateurish.

Atleast the IG account is/was fake, and just checked, it doesn't have any pics anymore.

mousti
15th July 2013, 15:26
It's probably someone new now that RedBull media house took over the promotion because before that the Twitter account was really 'legit'. I've even met the person behind that twitter page at Wales Rally GB 2010, he was around my age and was then an official WRC employee, making short vids of the WRC 'stars' and uploading them to twitter and post results etc. But now it's probably someone else who doesn't take it really seriously, but I don't really care.. It's not really a surprise that this happens, alot have to change at WRC..

Kiiver
15th July 2013, 17:04
It's probably someone new now that RedBull media house took over the promotion because before that the Twitter account was really 'legit'. I've even met the person behind that twitter page at Wales Rally GB 2010, he was around my age and was then an official WRC employee, making short vids of the WRC 'stars' and uploading them to twitter and post results etc. But now it's probably someone else who doesn't take it really seriously, but I don't really care.. It's not really a surprise that this happens, alot have to change at WRC..

To be honest, i was expecting bit more from Red Bull Media House, if they are behind that.

Barreis
15th July 2013, 17:50

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/15/u6y4a9e9.jpg

When you read some of Capito's statements, you can see also the guy knows very little about rally sport but is good menager. So nothing new from WRC world...

Barreis
15th July 2013, 21:05
Translator needed for non-Italians about Bernacchini's interview...
Intervista a Giovanni Bernacchini : (http://www.rally.it/intervista-a-giovanni-bernacchini-il-mio-sognovincere-una-gara-wrc-per-eguagliare-mio-padre/)

Barreis
15th July 2013, 21:06
Translator needed for non-Italians about Bernacchini's interview...
Intervista a Giovanni Bernacchini : (http://www.rally.it/intervista-a-giovanni-bernacchini-il-mio-sognovincere-una-gara-wrc-per-eguagliare-mio-padre/)

jbmarcus21
16th July 2013, 07:44
Official .. Bouffier is the 2nd test driver for Hyundai Motorsport
Bryan Bouffier 2ème pilote officiel des Tests Hyundaï Motorsport ! (http://planetemarcus.com/bryan-bouffier-2eme-pilote-officiel-des-tests-hyundai-motorsport/)

Barreis
18th July 2013, 14:30
Yeah.
Loeb surprised by form of struggling Hirvonen, Sordo - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108848)

wrc1600
18th July 2013, 21:41
I read in autosport that qualification stage to decide road position on gravel is not on in 2014.

tolis
19th July 2013, 10:23
Just read that 2013 CRC Rd2 GanSu Zhangye is held as #WRC (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23WRC&src=hash) candidate event. The rally takes place this weekend.

Prisoner Monkeys
19th July 2013, 13:51
If it's the same Zhangye as this Zhangye, then I can understand why the teams are reluctant to go there:

Zhangye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhangye)

It looks like it's at the corner of No and Where.

Motorsportfun
19th July 2013, 23:56
If it's the same Zhangye as this Zhangye, then I can understand why the teams are reluctant to go there:

Zhangye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhangye)

It looks like it's at the corner of No and Where.

It is...

andyone
20th July 2013, 07:36
I read in autosport that qualification stage to decide road position on gravel is not on in 2014.

I think its a good idea so we see tack ticks again, now its easier to be a champion Loeb had to go through being first on the road then looses time and recover it back. That was more of a racing that just charging from the front.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

A FONDO
20th July 2013, 08:57
I think its a good idea so we see tack ticks again, now its easier to be a champion Loeb had to go through being first on the road then looses time and recover it back. That was more of a racing that just charging from the front.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'v always said, if one has to be naturally disadvantaged, it must be the fastest drivers. Otherwise with the current qualy the sport is completely dead.

And check your mobile settings, it should be able to turn that off.

stefanvv
20th July 2013, 09:52
Yeeeess, but then there is tactics of drivers in the days end, remember Loeb - Ogier hassle? Honestly I like it more with qualifying stage, still we have the weather gamble sometimes

makinen_fan
20th July 2013, 10:05
Yeeeess, but then there is tactics of drivers in the days end, remember Loeb - Ogier hassle? Honestly I like it more with qualifying stage, still we have the weather gamble sometimes
Tactics in days ends have to do with reverse order, not qualifying. Personally I prefer how it is run today, it offers a more level playing field for the top drivers.

stefanvv
20th July 2013, 14:55
Tactics in days ends have to do with reverse order, not qualifying. Personally I prefer how it is run today, it offers a more level playing field for the top drivers.

Reverse order was introduced when qualifying was. The one leads to the other.

miniwintz
20th July 2013, 15:02
Quali stage was a very good idea from a sport viewpoint. Reduces the amount of randomness in the conditions the drivers are experiencing, allowing the best drivers to show their skill to its furthest extent. Removing it might be good for the slower drivers who could "luck" they way into podiums but that's silly really. You don't fix a sport by introducing luck, no one wants to see WRC as a giant lottery.

A FONDO
20th July 2013, 15:19
Quali stage was a very good idea from a sport viewpoint. Reduces the amount of randomness in the conditions the drivers are experiencing, allowing the best drivers to show their skill to its furthest extent. Removing it might be good for the slower drivers who could "luck" they way into podiums but that's silly really. You don't fix a sport by introducing luck, no one wants to see WRC as a giant lottery.

There's no luck in 300+ km WRC event. Before 2012 we never saw SlowSon, Villagra, Block, etcetra on the podium. Only thing was that the favorites needed to push a bit harder. We also multiple times saw the sweepers winning stages so it is not a huge handicap.

wrc1600
20th July 2013, 15:47
As there was no more details I can presume that revers order will stay for following days as it is now. It could be interesting.

tommeke_B
20th July 2013, 15:57
For me it's a step in the right direction, giving back the shakedown for what it ment to be... Now they should focus on replacing rally2 by a better and more fair system... :)

Rallying UK
21st July 2013, 10:01
HÄNNINEN: Juho Hänninen is 32 next Thursday. Happy Birthday Juho - here's a ThingLink homage to your great talent!: Happy 32nd birthday Juho Hänninen! - ThingLink (http://bit.ly/1bAsqrD)

Barreis
23rd July 2013, 09:38
Petition for WRC San Remo...
https://www.change.org/it/petizioni/riportare-il-mondiale-rally-a-sanremo

andyone
23rd July 2013, 10:47
Now we see how ogier is dominating.. And its boring. I dont see a driver to beat ogier that easy. Even loeb wasn't too dominant.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HaCo
24th July 2013, 07:29
Next Mitsubishi Evo: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/blogspot/pEcq/~3/Xh_aoKBdhn8/next-mitsubishi-evo-to-be-500bhp-hybrid.html

Verstuurd van mijn ARCHOS 80G9 met Tapatalk

donymo
24th July 2013, 10:24
Being a M2 team has rule based limitations related to LATEST homogolations that can be used

GigiGalliNo1
24th July 2013, 11:19
Poland in for 2014 WRC

GigiGalliNo1
24th July 2013, 11:20
@Krisse_Sohlberg: Here is a rumour for u @voiceofrally, @The_Rally_Guru. #Mikko seen in Munich airport last week with driving gears..Testing for #Hyundai ?

MartijnS
24th July 2013, 11:57
He was in Germany for a PR event of Citroen and also drove the DS3 R1 the day after that and giving some tips to the German cup drivers..
So I guess that must be it instead of testing for Huyndai?

Mirek
24th July 2013, 12:55
It makes little sense indeed. Hyundai facility is close to Frankfurt not Münich. Why would anybody fly to Münich to go to Frankfurt when in Frankfurt there is the biggest airport in Europe?

Mintexmemory
24th July 2013, 13:09
Now we see how ogier is dominating.. And its boring. I dont see a driver to beat ogier that easy. Even loeb wasn't too dominant.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

4 wins out of 7 with a new car is boring? Suggest your threshold requires re-calibration ;) . For the last 5 years people have been crying out for someone to beat Citroen (they didn't add 'but not all the time' as they rubbed their magic lamps). Firstly JML is clearly improving and the internal battle promises to be fascinating. Citroen were caught cold and realise they have to up their game (taking the ball home and not playing any more is also still a possibility) and we have a serious Hyundai in preparation. Works for me! I shall be in Germany where I expect the contest to be really great, given the improvements JML made last year.
Give me another 2 years of Ogier dominance and I'll agree it's become boring, at present it is only a patch of great form.

Barreis
24th July 2013, 16:46
Poland set for 2014 World Rally Championship return - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108921)

jbmarcus21
24th July 2013, 17:27
Official from Citroen Racing... C-Elysée WTCC 2014 is born Citroën Racing dévoile la C-Elysée WTCC 2014 ! (http://planetemarcus.com/citroen-racing-devoile-la-c-elysee-wtcc-2014/)

Plan9
25th July 2013, 03:12
Does anyone know what Dmack is planning to do in the WRC in future? Ketomaa has not been doing much with Autotek competitivley this year.

sollitt
25th July 2013, 06:42
I wonder if anyone has given any thought to the possibility that there could be significant benefits in the WRC containing itself to events in Europe only.
If the limiting of cost by having all events accessible by truck from the manufacturers rally bases, (less time and expense involved in the travel and logistics, less customs, less currency exchanges, less reliance on off shore personnel, more familiarity with officialdom) meant more manufacturers might come on board, those already involved might provide more seats, and consequently there being more opportunities for worthy drivers, I'd happily give up all events based elsewhere.

At the end of the day, few world championships in any sport travel the world. Most are based in the country or region where that sport is strongest.
Rallying is a European phenomenon. Base it there but make it grow. 10 to 12 events over a 10 month period.

AndyRAC
25th July 2013, 08:31
Hmm, I don’t really disagree with you – it would be sensible & cut costs. However, the stakeholders (teams, FiA, etc) would never go for it. Plus, under the FiA statutes, a World Championship must visit 3/4 continents.

sollitt
25th July 2013, 10:59
Ooooops, that ended up in the wrong thread. Wonder how that happened.

vino_93
25th July 2013, 18:34
Consani will stop his WRC 3 program. He will focus on French 208 Cup. For the Rallye de France, he has contact with people from Qatar to drive Fiesta R5 ! (AutoHebdo)

Bouffier will skeep Finland and Germany too. No money.

About rallies in the world, I would prefer 7-8 events in Europe. Other in the rest of the world.
What want manufacturer by doing competition ?
Sell cars. Do they need a strong promotion in Europe ? No, not really ... all of us here know the brands, the cars, etc ... and moreover, rally isn't anymore popular now.

Do they need a strong promotion in new emerging market ? Yes, clearly. What is the best way to promote your car ? Motorsport.
Of course, rally has less tradition there than in Europe. but as there is no big media promotion for WRC, if you don't organize a big event in these countries, they will never know rally. But if you can organize something extraordinry, yes clearly, it will work. And moreover, motorsport is developing really fast in Asia for example (China is building strong competition in circuits and rally).
Two examples :
- WEC in China. When it comes, Peugeot and Audi did really good promotion for the race. Now it's the second most important win that you can have after Le Mans.
- WTCC. Why do you think Citroën choose to invest there instead of rally ? only Loeb ? For sure no ... the fact they choose the C-Elysée, car sold only in emerging market, is the key. Yves Matton said this championship is the best for them, as coasts are controlled and the championship is really worldwide (from South America to Asia through Maroc), with good media promotion.

Arska
25th July 2013, 19:14
Consani will stop his WRC 3 program. He will focus on French 208 Cup. For the Rallye de France, he has contact with people from Qatar to drive Fiesta

Does he still drive Finland?

tommeke_B
25th July 2013, 21:23
My opinion is different...

About rallies in the world, I would prefer 7-8 events in Europe. Other in the rest of the world.
What want manufacturer by doing competition ?
Sell cars. Do they need a strong promotion in Europe ? No, not really ... all of us here know the brands, the cars, etc ... and moreover, rally isn't anymore popular now.
I disagree. Yes, they need a strong promotion in Europe. It's not because the car isn't emerging anymore, that they don't have to do any advertising (and that's what rallying is). Yes, everyone knows the manufacturers and the cars, thanks to marketing. Rally is a way of marketing. Car manufacturers are advertising with their rally-programme in magazines, newspapers and on billboards, so it must be effective. Also the marketing strategy of VW, Peugeot and Skoda in particular for me, show how they use rallying in their advertising. I also strongly disagree that rallying is not popular anymore (maybe you are someone who believes everything was better many years ago?). There still is a huge base of people who are crazy of rallying. We still see enormous amounts of spectators on stages (be it in Monte Carlo, Sweden, Portugal, Greece, Finland, Germany, France, Spain), and actually I believe that the "status" of rallying now is much better than it was 5 years ago (at least it is in Belgium). Only the work of the promotor should be better, to bring rallying to a broader audience. Actually at this moment you can leave "broader" away.

Do they need a strong promotion in new emerging market ? Yes, clearly. What is the best way to promote your car ? Motorsport.
Of course, rally has less tradition there than in Europe. but as there is no big media promotion for WRC, if you don't organize a big event in these countries, they will never know rally. But if you can organize something extraordinry, yes clearly, it will work. And moreover, motorsport is developing really fast in Asia for example (China is building strong competition in circuits and rally).
Two examples :
- WEC in China. When it comes, Peugeot and Audi did really good promotion for the race. Now it's the second most important win that you can have after Le Mans.
- WTCC. Why do you think Citroën choose to invest there instead of rally ? only Loeb ? For sure no ... the fact they choose the C-Elysée, car sold only in emerging market, is the key. Yves Matton said this championship is the best for them, as coasts are controlled and the championship is really worldwide (from South America to Asia through Maroc), with good media promotion.
Here you say the best way to promote your car is motorsport, but in Europe that "law" does not count? :)
Also here I disagree that the manufacturers can take some advantage from going to these "new markets". It will pull the price tag of competing in the WRC even much higher than it already is now. Also I don't understand VW for example. Why have an event on a big market when rallying has no impact on it?? We learned that it takes many years for an event to become popular. For example Sardinia and Mexico, how many years have they been in the WRC before they got popular? I was in Sardinia in 2009, it was their 5th year in the WRC, right? In a country where rally is very popular (it's not on main land but still travel costs are not crazy for people coming from main land). In 2009 there were almost no people. There were even easily accessible places where we were completely alone, that doesn't even happen in regional events... In 2011 the number of spectators was at least doubled, in 2012 again much more, despite of the less attractive entry list. So we see it takes let's say 6 years on the calendar before it pays off. And that exactly is where I lose the current manufacturers. Why should they pay more for less return in the first few years? It's most likely they will stop their project after some years, then their competitors from the car market can jump into the sport to take advantage of that "development", paid by...

Yes, some event on a new area would be good. But 4-5 events on another continent than Europe (where ALL teams are based) is crazy. That way you really kill the sport from the bottom out (by making it impossible for smaller teams to participate in WRC). But ok, that is what they are doing already. They kill the sport from bottom out by making everything crazy expensive. In WRC and WRC2 we see you need rather a bag of money than talent to compete. Doing more intercontinental events would make the difference just greater. Like it is going now, soon we will have more "Al-"names on the list than others (no offence to those people).

makinen_fan
25th July 2013, 21:53
Seb Loeb testing his new toy. It looks so lame and boring, hope he change his mind and come back soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q08Evdhcxw

Barreis
25th July 2013, 22:36
What for?! To destroy WRC little bit more? Must be different winners as much as possible...

Eli
25th July 2013, 22:56
well Seb Ogier is doing a perfect job replacing him...

makinen_fan
25th July 2013, 23:05
What for?! To destroy WRC little bit more? Must be different winners as much as possible...

how many different winners we had this year? and the one that SebO didn't won was due to mechanical issues. at least Loeb can provide a consistent opposition to SebO, unlike the rest (with possible exception JML, time will tell)

irish_tiger
25th July 2013, 23:21
Consani will stop his WRC 3 program. He will focus on French 208 Cup. For the Rallye de France, he has contact with people from Qatar to drive Fiesta R5 ! (AutoHebdo)

Have you a link to this ?