PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] News & rumours (part II)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

rallyfiend
27th September 2012, 14:23
At last.

The series seems to be going along quite nicely without a promoter!

pettersolberg29
27th September 2012, 15:16
They will continue in WRC after 2013 but not with Citroën brand. They will just bring back the Lion.

I've been away from rally news for a while so excuse my ignorance! But is this 100% or just increasingly likely?

stefanvv
27th September 2012, 15:21
I've been away from rally news for a while so excuse my ignorance! But is this 100% or just increasingly likely?

Until Peugeot prepares 208 WRC it is not 100%. But looks like the natural flow of PSA's involvement.

pettersolberg29
27th September 2012, 15:25
Until Peugeot prepares 208 WRC it is not 100%. But looks like the natural flow of PSA's involvement.

Okay cheers, I knew this was in the pipeline from a while back but just wanted to be sure!

OldF
27th September 2012, 18:41
About the Citroen and Abu Dhabi contract I believe it’s longer than one year. If I recall it correctly Abu Dhabi left M-Sport because Ford couldn’t commit for a five-year contract. If Citroen leaves after 2013 it could be Peugeot Abu Dhabi WRT.

RJM
27th September 2012, 21:14
I dont understand why he couldnt be a citroen driver, given the right car and backing he will win rallies, and i dont think he could afford to be a citroen privateer anyway.

(reply to makinen_fan about meeke)

Gherid_lacksGPS
27th September 2012, 22:21
Hyundai has officially pulled out of North American motorsports. Focusing on WRC venture. Interestingly, it seems that VW is dipping into WRC funds for the 2013 GRC season, and will probably be the main promoter of Xgames in Germany next year - I wouldn't disregard Spain, as well. Crazy world of automotive sport, we live in.

Kielder
27th September 2012, 23:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM9XojZNOQI&feature=g-u-u

Plan9
28th September 2012, 00:00

I am curious how PSA will pay for both WRC and the WTCC program. I know they are no Prodrive but that's still a lot of money to find for a company that is in some financial difficulty.

stefanvv
28th September 2012, 00:16
I am curious how PSA will pay for both WRC and the WTCC program. I know they are no Prodrive but that's still a lot of money to find for a company that is in some financial difficulty.

"Abu Dhabi" is probably the main sponsor for this, perhaps WTCC also. Otherwise in current PSA financial situation, they couldn't afford even the scheduled 4 Rallies for Loeb next year.

spiderem
28th September 2012, 04:32
So who will red bull back up next year? VW?
or no team, just being the promoter of WRC?

Mirek
28th September 2012, 11:04

WTCC and WRC cars are similar in technical stuff, that sure helps. In previous years they did WRC, IRC and Le Mans in same time. That was sure more expensive...

A.F.F.
28th September 2012, 11:27
So who will red bull back up next year? VW?
or no team, just being the promoter of WRC?

Probably just the promoter.

PLuto
28th September 2012, 11:50

This is long-term plan...

PLuto
28th September 2012, 11:53
6 hours ago they also posted that Red Bull stopped the negotiations with the FIA. I think they just put up some stuff on their page in order to get publicity.

Red Bull never made negotiations with the FIA. It was german group Sportsman Media...

GigiGalliNo1
28th September 2012, 17:13
World Motor Sport Council (http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/pressreleases/wmsc/2012/Pages/wmsc-280912.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

The Sportsman Media Group and Red Bull Media House become the new global Promoter of the FIA World Rally Championship from 2013

Barreis
28th September 2012, 17:17
Only one event outside Europe.

dimviii
29th September 2012, 22:43
seat fitting for Khalid
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A36hDXoCIAAJZZZ.jpg:large

GigiGalliNo1
30th September 2012, 06:09
Austrian sponsor will join the German counterpart.

Anglo Saxon team will have an American energy drink livery

French will sit firmly with its Arab friends in 2013 :)

darkos
30th September 2012, 08:22
Great to see new sponsor in WRC

noel157
30th September 2012, 15:12
Great to see new sponsor in WRC

What "new sponsor"?

Gregor-y
30th September 2012, 20:54
Hyundai has officially pulled out of North American motorsports. Focusing on WRC venture.
Other than than the rallycross Veloster what was Hyundai sponsoring in the US? Sadly since we don't have the i20 I'm guessing there's going to be nothing to support in the US like Ford can do with the Fiesta R2, albeit with the 5 door shell.

TyPat107
30th September 2012, 21:04
Other than than the rallycross Veloster what was Hyundai sponsoring in the US? Sadly since we don't have the i20 I'm guessing there's going to be nothing to support in the US like Ford can do with the Fiesta R2, albeit with the 5 door shell.

Hyundai also did Drifting and the pikes peak hill climb cars. Rhys hinted right after pikes peak that he wouldn't be in a Hyundai next year. And I agree with you no i20 so we won't get anything. Same story with the polo, so if VW does enter our rallycross series like someone else mentioned, I assume it will be with a golf.

Plan9
1st October 2012, 01:20
Austrian sponsor will join the German counterpart.

Anglo Saxon team will have an American energy drink livery

French will sit firmly with its Arab friends in 2013 :)

Wow this is interesting. I take it that Monster will sponsor the Ford WRT from 2013 then?

Plan9
1st October 2012, 01:21
Hyundai also did Drifting and the pikes peak hill climb cars. Rhys hinted right after pikes peak that he wouldn't be in a Hyundai next year. And I agree with you no i20 so we won't get anything. Same story with the polo, so if VW does enter our rallycross series like someone else mentioned, I assume it will be with a golf.

If VW does GRC that would be amazing. Isn't it expanding into Europe? Does GRC have a relationship with its European counterpart?

Hazza555)
1st October 2012, 02:26
If VW does GRC that would be amazing. Isn't it expanding into Europe? Does GRC have a relationship with its European counterpart?

Pretty sure the two couldn't more different really. GRC is like moto supercross for cars... supposed to be a bit of show, big jumps, arena type layouts.
European Rallycross is more like normal motocross, out in the real world. The only thing that is similar are the cars, I believe. Didn't Tanner Foust do some European events?

Prisoner Monkeys
1st October 2012, 06:50
The FIA is pushing for European Rallycross to become a World Championship series in the next few years. The GRC will not be recognised as part of the new series, but organisers from both categories are believed to be working together on their calendars so that there are no clashes, allowing competitors to take part in both championships without any clashes.

Viking
1st October 2012, 12:05
If I (and google translate) got this right, Abu Dhabi deal is for 3+2 years and Matton thinks they can run both WRC and WTCC.
Also that they have had talks with Sordo and Solberg for the second seat.

AutoMoto365.com Solberg, Sordo, Abou Dhabi : Yves Matton évoque l (http://rallye.automoto365.com/actualites/news/solberg-sordo-abou-dhabi-yves-matton-evoque-lavenir-de-citroen-458)

Rallyper
1st October 2012, 16:07
Sordo will never play the second fiddle again at Citroen. If he joins them it will be on his conditions, and it will not be as 2nd driver, for sure.

Petter also. He stays at Ford if JML goes to VW.

Karukera
1st October 2012, 17:30
Sordo will never play the second fiddle again at Citroen. If he joins them it will be on his conditions, and it will not be as 2nd driver, for sure.

What conditions ? he's unemployed.

Hirvonen will be #1 in the team and is a tad quicker than Sordo on gravel. Hence he will be #2 at best.

And with Loeb joining in for a limited selection of rallies (tarmac only ?) he will probably settle for 3rd in order to not take points away from Hirvonen.

kober
1st October 2012, 18:21
Imagine the following situation in which Loeb enters a rally, beats Hirvonen and helps him at the same time:

Situation 1, without Loeb:
1. Ogier wins, gets 25 points
2. Hirvonen second, 18 points, which is seven less than Ogier.

Situation 2, same rally, but with Loeb's entry:
1. Loeb wins, gets 25 points
2. Ogier second, gets 18 points,
3. Hirvonen third, gets 15 points, only three less than Ogier.

Hartusvuori
1st October 2012, 19:25
Imagine the following situation in which Loeb enters a rally, beats Hirvonen and helps him at the same time:

Situation 1, without Loeb:
1. Ogier wins, gets 25 points
2. Hirvonen second, 18 points, which is seven less than Ogier.

Situation 2, same rally, but with Loeb's entry:
1. Loeb wins, gets 25 points
2. Ogier second, gets 18 points,
3. Hirvonen third, gets 15 points, only three less than Ogier.

The only thing missing from this scenario is Hirvonen helping himself.

kober
1st October 2012, 20:36
The only thing missing from this scenario is Hirvonen helping himself.Hirvonen will help himself by being on the podium in all the other rallies too :)

A.F.F.
1st October 2012, 21:26
And with Loeb joining in for a limited selection of rallies (tarmac only ?) he will probably settle for 3rd in order to not take points away from Hirvonen.

You really think so? I don't buy that.

Plan9
1st October 2012, 22:54
Pretty sure the two couldn't more different really. GRC is like moto supercross for cars... supposed to be a bit of show, big jumps, arena type layouts.
European Rallycross is more like normal motocross, out in the real world. The only thing that is similar are the cars, I believe. Didn't Tanner Foust do some European events?

Tanner was co-ERC champion last year as I recall. He is actually the real deal.

focus206
1st October 2012, 23:07

He finished second in the championship, the winner was Isachsen.

TyPat107
2nd October 2012, 01:43
Tanner is the real deal. I honestly wish he would have had the opportunity to try the wrc over Block. I think the results would be much better.

Gherid_lacksGPS
2nd October 2012, 04:21

They are two different entities, but as stated, there's work being done to accommodate both schedules for drivers. I know tanner has recently expressed agitation towards the recent ERC developments. Not sure if that had anything to do with him not attending the latest ERC round. Looks like things are getting ironed out, though. I think the VW venture into GRC has more to do with GRC actually expanding globally next year and not so much about a US presence. Spain, Brazil, Germany if I'm not mistaken? Be sick to see a preped polo on US soil, though; even a golf. More will be known at SEMA at the end of October; final GRC round. Sucks for Millen, hope he has a ride next year - dodge?

Back to wrc banter.

Miika
2nd October 2012, 06:10
Imagine the following situation:

2. Hirvonen second

3. Hirvonen third

Pretty wild scenarios there. Now that the "road is clear" for Mikko to take over, it is time to make mistakes and over-drive the car, thanks to the extra pressure of the assumed #1 status.

Karukera
2nd October 2012, 07:44
You really think so?

Free of charge :)

Just to clarify, i was talking about the possibility of Sordo going to Citroën and purposedly settling behind Hirvonen when Loeb enters a rally.
Loeb will want to win events he starts or in the extreme, support Hirvonen if really necessary...

My point is to underline how precious a semi second fiddle Sordo can be.

The equation will be anyway tricky with Latvala, Solberg and Ogier on the field. That's what makes 2013 exciting.

stefanvv
2nd October 2012, 08:26
I already begin to feel sorry for Citroen reading these posts.

Karukera
2nd October 2012, 08:41
The cynical principles of team orders. They all play the game.

Gard
2nd October 2012, 15:21
Pretty wild scenarios there. Now that the "road is clear" for Mikko to take over, it is time to make mistakes and over-drive the car, thanks to the extra pressure of the assumed #1 status.

He was #1 at Ford last year. Over-driving the car, isn't the first that springs to mind :-)

sete
2nd October 2012, 17:55
when Latvala goes to VW and there are Rumours about P.Solberg should be number 2. in Citroen i wanna ask is it sure that Ford will drive next year?

rallyfiend
2nd October 2012, 18:07
when Latvala goes to VW and there are Rumours about P.Solberg should be number 2. in Citroen i wanna ask is it sure that Ford will drive next year?

No.

It has been alleged that there are performance related clauses in the contract between Ford and M-Sport, and with only 2 wins (Ostberg doesn't count), they perhaps haven't hit the required level. Yet.

stefanvv
2nd October 2012, 18:07
He was #1 at Ford last year. Over-driving the car, isn't the first that springs to mind :-)

May be the time will come for overdriving :confused:

fastboy
2nd October 2012, 19:37
No.

It has been alleged that there are performance related clauses in the contract between Ford and M-Sport, and with only 2 wins (Ostberg doesn't count), they perhaps haven't hit the required level. Yet.

There is no performance clauses in the Ford M-Sport contract .They will 100% be competiting in 2013.
I understand that Latvala is also going to be staying at Ford for 2013 with a possible announcment next week after Rally France.Think the only stumbling block was he was after a bigger salary from Ford as he had a big offer from VW.Malcolm was putting all his weight behind Latvala's wage demand.
And dont expect Petter to be offered a new contract at Ford works team.

Mirek
2nd October 2012, 19:40
The championship needs JML in Ford. I hope he really stays.

stefanvv
2nd October 2012, 19:55
The championship needs JML in Ford. I hope he really stays.

+1. The two fastest drivers in VW. That might make them dominant force after awhile.

pettersolberg29
2nd October 2012, 20:04

That would surprise me - he's probably going to finish ahead of JML in the overall standings, or within a few points at worst. Sordo is the only driver who may be a better number 2, but with no inside knowledge at all, I'd fancy Solberg to stay with Ford 1 more year before Ostberg moves up (assuming Ford are still here in 2 years)

tfp
2nd October 2012, 23:40

?? The problem is, who to replace Petter? I reckon Petter has been a good team player for Ford this year. I wont say perfect because he has had some crashes this year. I wouldnt rate Ostberg above Petter yet, and he is the only driver in a fiesta thats anywhere near to taking Petters place. Of course there is Sordo, but he is still an outsider to Ford. But Rally is a strange animal, and funny things happen...

Barreis
2nd October 2012, 23:46
Driver must be good on tarmac also and Ostberg isn't that good.

janvanvurpa
3rd October 2012, 02:34

Why, pray tell? Source?

tmx
3rd October 2012, 04:27
?? The problem is, who to replace Petter? I reckon Petter has been a good team player for Ford this year. I wont say perfect because he has had some crashes this year. I wouldnt rate Ostberg above Petter yet, and he is the only driver in a fiesta thats anywhere near to taking Petters place. Of course there is Sordo, but he is still an outsider to Ford. But Rally is a strange animal, and funny things happen... I guess it must mean Latvala has been as worse team player.

RJM
3rd October 2012, 13:32
On wrc.com it says that one of the drivers has said he cant wait for loeb to go... any ideas who this is?

clem126
3rd October 2012, 15:12
I'd say Petter :D

stefanvv
3rd October 2012, 15:13
On wrc.com it says that one of the drivers has said he cant wait for loeb to go... any ideas who this is?

I can only guess - Paolo Nobre :confused:

pettersolberg29
3rd October 2012, 15:31
I'd say Petter :D

Agreed! Though I'd guess he probably said it in a slightly nicer tone than is being reported if it was Petter as they're good friends. Perhaps Sordo is a more likely option?

BleAivano
3rd October 2012, 15:57
Does anyone know why Ramona Karlsson have decided to sell her car as well as the spare bodywork and the parts for it?
Rallybilen och reservkarossen till salu « Ramona Rallying (http://www.ramonarallying.com/2012/10/03/rallybilen-och-reservkarossen-till-salu/)

OldF
3rd October 2012, 16:08
Esapekka Lappi & Janne Ferm will also do rallies in Spain at the end of October and November.

Which rallies could these be?

News so far only in Finnish Esapekka Lappi : Tervetuloa Esapekka Lapin kotisivuille (http://www.esapekkalappi.fi/index.php?l=fi)

Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.esapekkalappi.fi%2Findex.php%3F l%3Dfi)

Nice google translation “Games run from October to the end of November.” A long rally. :D

Mirek
3rd October 2012, 16:43
If it's meant to be events of the Spanish asphalt championship than it must be Rally Sierra Morena and Rally Comunidad de Madrid.

Kielder
3rd October 2012, 16:50
Sierra Morena (October 27-28th) & Madrid (November 24-25th). If it becomes true the car will be the Fabia S2000 that Paddon used in the SWRC.

OldF
3rd October 2012, 17:43
Thanks. :)

darkstar
3rd October 2012, 18:08
Kubica: "Estoy trabajando para competir en un campeonato completo en 2013" | CarandDriverTheF1.com (http://www.caranddriverthef1.com/formula1/noticias/2012/10/03/61995-kubica-estoy-trabajando-para-competir-en-un-campeonato-completo-e)
as far as i get this right kubica wants to do a whole season in some championchip. any spaniards around to translate this?

EightGear
3rd October 2012, 18:12
Robert Kubica aiming to complete full championship in 2013 - Other news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103030)

dimviii
3rd October 2012, 18:15
Jarmo Mahonen seals new role as FIA rally director - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103033)

darkstar
3rd October 2012, 18:16

rallye-vid
3rd October 2012, 18:43
So.. Which car will he drive next time? ;)

COD
3rd October 2012, 21:16
Sordo deserves a drive, either with Ford or VW

vkangas
3rd October 2012, 21:30
Sierra Morena (October 27-28th) & Madrid (November 24-25th). If it becomes true the car will be the Fabia S2000 that Paddon used in the SWRC.
Lappi's car will be ASM-Motorsport's Skoda Fabia S2000. Is that the same?

vkangas
3rd October 2012, 21:34
BTW, Lappi's record for this season: 9 rallies / 8 wins.... The only one being Rally Finland where he only got 5 fastest S2000 stage times against Ogier... :) .

stefanvv
3rd October 2012, 21:38
BTW, Lappi's record for this season: 9 rallies / 8 wins.... The only one being Rally Finland where he only got 5 fastest S2000 stage times against Ogier... :) .

Not bad, not bad at all. What are his future plans?

rallye-vid
3rd October 2012, 21:43
He planed IRC next year..

mousti
3rd October 2012, 21:57

Will be that one I think because the team is based in Spain. And that's indeed Paddon's previous tuner.

Barreis
3rd October 2012, 22:04
That's also his car.
Skoda S2000 Evo2 - REBUILT. Rallycars.info (http://www.rallycarsforsale.net/clas/index.php?ct=fsrc&md=details&id=63718)

Kielder
3rd October 2012, 22:24

Yes, that's it. Now it's official. Hankook tyres and sponsored by Holiday Inn.
Shame that in the Spanish Championship there is only a S2000, another Skoda driven by Alberto Hevia (National Champion twice, last in 2010 with that car). It will be interesting to compare Lappi with him.

Barreis
3rd October 2012, 22:46
FIA president Jean Todt says Hyundai return shows WRC strength - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103032)
Also Mahonen is new wrc boss but didn't see anything good that he did last two years.

leighton323
3rd October 2012, 22:46
Will be that one I think because the team is based in Spain. And that's indeed Paddon's previous tuner.

Hopefully they don't screw Lappi round like they did to Paddon.

Kielder
3rd October 2012, 22:55
That's also his car.
Skoda S2000 Evo2 - REBUILT. Rallycars.info (http://www.rallycarsforsale.net/clas/index.php?ct=fsrc&md=details&id=63718)

This is not the same car. The ASM's one is chasis #29, which Paddon used in Sweden, Portugal and New Zealand this year.
You can read what that ad of chasis #35 says: "The engine and gearbox was used from this car as spares for Hayden Paddon during Rally of New Zealand". Paddon bought the car from Wevers Sport, who used it in the same way.

Mirek
3rd October 2012, 23:05
That sounds logical. 35 was car of Didier Vanwijnsberghe but he sold it to Wevers some time a go.

Hartusvuori
3rd October 2012, 23:18
Lappi has 11 starts in rallies this year and 9 wins. Also one Finnish rallysprint start last winter which he won.

PLuto
3rd October 2012, 23:51
He planed IRC next year..

I am sure he will not start in IRC next year :)

3rd October 2012, 23:56
Hopefully they don't screw Lappi round like they did to Paddon.
What did ASM actually do to Paddon? His results seemed to be good with them

Kielder
4th October 2012, 00:19

I asked myself the same; besides he was the only using the ASM's car. Perhaps the clue to find an answer is the absence of spares for Rally of New Zealand. What I mean is that maybe Paddon was doing too many roles to keep the project. Less work with BRR, only driving.

leighton323
4th October 2012, 01:27

Paddon wanted a new clutch be put on the car but ASM said that they should wait till after doing all the promotion work as going on and off the trailer isn't to good for it. After a while the clutch still wasn't in the car, as it turns out ASM Motorsport never actually had any new clutch at all. Also Not being sent properly trained technicians from ASM Motorsport to rally NZ. Also wrong suspension I believe as shown in the Rally NZ domain stage, not sure the proper details on the last bit though.

4th October 2012, 02:59
Paddon wanted a new clutch be put on the car but ASM said that they should wait till after doing all the promotion work as going on and off the trailer isn't to good for it. After a while the clutch still wasn't in the car, as it turns out ASM Motorsport never actually had any new clutch at all. Also Not being sent properly trained technicians from ASM Motorsport to rally NZ. Also wrong suspension I believe as shown in the Rally NZ domain stage, not sure the proper details on the last bit though.

Ah ok, thanks for that. I really want Paddon to find success. Then us Aussies can claim him as one of ours lol :)

sete
4th October 2012, 06:30
I am sure he will not start in IRC next year :)

yes,because there will not be IRC next year :-) will he start in European championship?

vkangas
4th October 2012, 06:55
Likely but not confirmed.

GigiGalliNo1
4th October 2012, 07:41
Have you seen this?

Le gardien Peugeot Sport : Vatanen vs Peugeot 208 R5 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSBRzd0mHR0)

I hope Peugeot come back to the WRC now...

Rally-eMag
4th October 2012, 08:41
Have you seen this?

I hope Peugeot come back to the WRC now...

Was thinking the same thing when I saw it, most of the cars they showed (205's, 206) were top WRC level cars, only the 207 S2000 was in a lower class. Now with the R5 category being so close to the WRC it would be great if they decided to take it just one step further. But it seems unlikely that we will again have a championship with both Citroen and Peugeot as they are basically the same company.

makinen_fan
4th October 2012, 12:24
World Rally Championship - News - Loeb hints at five-round WRC bid in 2013 (http://www.wrc.com/news/loeb-hints-at-five-round-wrc-bid-in-2013/?fid=17557)
Loeb targets 4-5 rallies for next year, hope he extend it a bit more than that!

alleskids
4th October 2012, 12:26
so Loeb's replacement in 2013 has to settle for playing not second, but third fiddle, and has to forget every championship hope.

rallyfiend
4th October 2012, 12:27
so Loeb's replacementin 2013 has to settle for playing not second, but third fiddle, and has to forget every championship hope.

Or he could be a third car for those events, but nominated for Manuf points?

alleskids
4th October 2012, 12:30
had Citroen not said no to the 3rd factory car with the best 2 cars scoring points rule?

stefanvv
4th October 2012, 12:46
had Citroen not said no to the 3rd factory car with the best 2 cars scoring points rule?

They did, Ford too. I believe it was VW that brought this up, but no one agreed.

Viking
4th October 2012, 13:15
Or he could be a third car for those events, but nominated for Manuf points?

I guess it will be like this

Car "1 Hirvonen
Car "2 Mr X/Loeb
Car "? Neuville/Mr X

..And Mr X's surname starts with "So" :D

Mirek
4th October 2012, 13:31
Neuville stays in "junior" car - no.2 will be someone else. Sordo, Petter, Meeke?

makinen_fan
4th October 2012, 13:38
I believe Sebastian will be no.4 in the team and not taking the no.2 position when he races. It will be interesting though to see who will be given priority with team orders, e.g. if he will be allowed to take win in France next year if the rest of the team (Mikko and/or No.2) is going for Drivers Championship.

Viking
4th October 2012, 13:42
Neuville stays in "junior" car - no.2 will be someone else. Sordo, Petter, Meeke?

Yes, but i noticed that it was prob 9 rallys for Neuville, add 4-5 for Loeb and you get a season.
But my guess was that they put Loeb in the "Manu" car in his races and the second driver gets the "Neuville car".

Mirek
4th October 2012, 13:46
I don't think so. I can't imagine they would not send Neuville on asphalt rounds. They have PH Sport so they can run more cars if needed.

Rally-eMag
4th October 2012, 15:22
I believe Sebastian will be no.4 in the team and not taking the no.2 position when he races. It will be interesting though to see who will be given priority with team orders, e.g. if he will be allowed to take win in France next year if the rest of the team (Mikko and/or No.2) is going for Drivers Championship.

I think Citroen will always nominate Loeb for the points, even if he gets a little rusty from not competing much next year (in the WRC that is) he will probably still be the man to beat. So it is almost a guarantee he will finish as on of the two best Citroens, no need for teamorders if they just register him for the points :)

alleskids
4th October 2012, 16:12
my guess:

Abu Dhabi Citroen team 1
car 1 Hirvonen
car 2 Loeb (4-5)/ So.... (8-9).
Loeb nomited for manufacturer points, because he only picks rallies were he is supergood, so why waste his effort and talent and knowedge?

Abu Dhabi Citroen Team 2 employed by PhSport
car 3 Al Qassimi
car 4 Neuville (9+)

Fly_Half
4th October 2012, 17:52
Loeb nomited for manufacturer points, because he only picks rallies were he is supergood, so why waste his effort and talent and knowedge?

Not necessarily, he's been quoted as saying he wants to enter WRC Sweden next year which he's only won once, and that was by default if I remember rightly.

manta400
5th October 2012, 15:29
I heard a very strong rumour regarding Kris Meeke, and announcement will be made regarding who he is driving for next year in the next 7 days. It came from close friends and when asked they all had a big smile on their faces.

The boy deserves it! any thoughts on who?

Doon
5th October 2012, 15:35
I heard a very strong rumour regarding Kris Meeke, and announcement will be made regarding who he is driving for next year in the next 7 days. It came from close friends and when asked they all had a big smile on their faces.

The boy deserves it! any thoughts on who?

Citroen I hope. They've always liked him.

GigiGalliNo1
5th October 2012, 15:39
How old would this image be?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/190957_10151280296313083_1705254431_o.jpg

Kris Meeke test Citroen DS3 WRC in Italy

Mirek
5th October 2012, 15:43
From this week.

RJM
5th October 2012, 18:29
I really hope this is true!

Red bull
5th October 2012, 18:54
I really hope this is true! totally impossible,maybe as a test driver.

makinen_fan
5th October 2012, 19:01
test citroen ds3 wrc a corinaldo-kris Meeke - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKlHMzDnItc&feature=youtu.be)

RJM
5th October 2012, 19:01
We will see next week i guess, too good for test driver mate.

Mirek
5th October 2012, 19:03
We will see next week i guess, too good for test driver mate.

He was testing Citroëns for years without competing with them...

RJM
5th October 2012, 19:09
I know this but I do think he should be in the wrc, hanninen and mikkelsen too.

pettersolberg29
5th October 2012, 20:22
Surely Meeke would only stand a chance if Sordo and Solberg rejected it? Meeke is good but it's a huge gamble when Mikko doesn't look capable of winning a title on pace alone and to have a still relatively unproven guy in too. That being said, only possibly Hanninen and Mikkelsen show more potential and both seem strongly tied to VW so maybe some truth in this. If Meeke gets it it would suggest Sordo said no, which would suggest he's confident of a Ford deal maybe, no?

skarderud
5th October 2012, 20:58
if latvala goes to vw, petter stays at ford, sordo in ford or mini, østberg in ford (adapta is m-sports partner in norway, don't think they swap team) mikkelsen and hänninen in some vw-team, then meeke is a nice option to a citröen seat. but weird they dont take neuville then?

COD
5th October 2012, 21:01
I don't get it. They have a great young driver Neuville, why on earth would they take a crash prone Meeke that has not done a rally in a year? Besides, like Mikko has unfortunately shown again this week. He just isn't no 1. material...

Maui J.
5th October 2012, 21:11
It doesn't have to be the actual Citroen team Meeke is testing for. What about a possible UK Citroen entry, similar to the UK Peugeot entry he did in the IRC.

stefanvv
5th October 2012, 21:18
if latvala goes to vw, petter stays at ford, sordo in ford or mini, østberg in ford (adapta is m-sports partner in norway, don't think they swap team) mikkelsen and hänninen in some vw-team, then meeke is a nice option to a citröen seat. but weird they dont take neuville then?

I think Matton made it clear that is too early for him to be in factory car 2013

pettersolberg29
5th October 2012, 21:23
I think Matton made it clear that is too early for him to be in factory car 2013

Would it not be logical to believe that Meeke is therefore not ready for a factory car too? He hasn't achieved much more than Neuville and has limited potential whereas Neuville could one day be a multiple world champion if his development continues. I'm a big fan of Meeke, but see him more as Mini's 2nd driver or Hyundai's driver as opposed to someone who is meant to help Citroen get the manufacturer title. Imagine if Citroen have Mikko and Meeke, Ford have Solberg and Sordo and VW have Ogier and JML - to me Citroen look by far the weakest there.

Juha_Koo
5th October 2012, 21:34
Promoting Neuville to factory team next year would be like Latvala-scenario back in 2008, "a year too early". Also, as Loeb is taking part to some rallies, they would need to arrange PH-Sport car or something like that for Neuville to all of those rallies. Too much of a fuss. I guess it'll be Sordo, as his contract with Prodrive is ending to this year (am I right?) and I'm sure he'll be more happy with Citroen than Mini's on-off scheme. This said, of course, in a belief that Mini won't step up it's involvement.

I actually wouldn't consider Meeke as a bad option either... Under strict rules to finish, he could bring valuable manu points for the team. Only problem is his competition break. Interesting to see what Hänninen will do, as most probably his VW door is closed and I wonder what's his motivation to carry on with Skoda, as in the ERC he wasn't battling with anyone and did zero WRC rallies this year...

stefanvv
5th October 2012, 21:43
Would it not be logical to believe that Meeke is therefore not ready for a factory car too? He hasn't achieved much more than Neuville and has limited potential whereas Neuville could one day be a multiple world champion if his development continues. I'm a big fan of Meeke, but see him more as Mini's 2nd driver or Hyundai's driver as opposed to someone who is meant to help Citroen get the manufacturer title. Imagine if Citroen have Mikko and Meeke, Ford have Solberg and Sordo and VW have Ogier and JML - to me Citroen look by far the weakest there.

May be that's the idea, Meeke drives one year as Citroen N2, Neuville charges from 2014 on. If Solberg & Sordo are offered 1 year contract, they probably said no, as in Ford perspectives look better in longer term... that suggesting Ford continues 2014, but I don't see why not.

pettersolberg29
5th October 2012, 22:08
May be that's the idea, Meeke drives one year as Citroen N2, Neuville charges from 2014 on. If Solberg & Sordo are offered 1 year contract, they probably said no, as in Ford perspectives look better in longer term... that suggesting Ford continues 2014, but I don't see why not.

My view though is that if Meeke joins Mikko in the Citroen team next season they could very well finish 3rd in the manufacturer's and this is something that the bosses at Citroen surely wouldn't accept? I think they should offer Sordo the seat and give him a performance related contract - if he gets one win or 5 podiums or something then he automatically has the deal extended to give him a factory standard DS3 in 2014 if/when Neuvile moves up to the main team alongside Mikko. As a Solberg and therefore Ford fan I would rather Sordo joined Petter at Ford because if Sordo goes to Citroen/stays at Mini and JML goes to VW then Ford are in trouble!

stefanvv
5th October 2012, 22:32
My view though is that if Meeke joins Mikko in the Citroen team next season they could very well finish 3rd in the manufacturer's and this is something that the bosses at Citroen surely wouldn't accept? I think they should offer Sordo the seat and give him a performance related contract - if he gets one win or 5 podiums or something then he automatically has the deal extended to give him a factory standard DS3 in 2014 if/when Neuvile moves up to the main team alongside Mikko. As a Solberg and therefore Ford fan I would rather Sordo joined Petter at Ford because if Sordo goes to Citroen/stays at Mini and JML goes to VW then Ford are in trouble!

You're probably right about the weak team stuff with this scenario. But Loeb is still doing 4-5 Rallies and most likely will win at least half of them. And presuming Hirvonen scores regular podiums, perhaps they will be fine. Considering also unknown VW performance yet. I don't know Sordo's relationships with Citroen are still good though after he went out end of 2010 replaced with the young Ogier. About Ford if they are left without Sordo & Solberg, Ostberg would be best choice I guess, he has even win this year with private car, not bad, scores 3-4 places regularly. Has little poor tarmac performance, but if he gets more faster in factory car, he'll be able to fight for victories more often...

vkangas
5th October 2012, 22:50
Too bad Hänninen is a Finn also. He could be the "next Loeb" for Citroen for many seasons. Hänninen is super reliable, mature driver who can deliver straight away. He is also super fast on tarmac and has that magic Loeb-like ability to strech those few seconds almost always when needed in a tight battle.

motorvoice
5th October 2012, 22:51
is this actually true? I can't find their names anywhere :confused:

I think you will find it is a spoof news website. Its a joke. I think the part of the story where he kidnaps a homeless man and straps him in the car when he had no co driver might be a clue

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

pettersolberg29
5th October 2012, 22:56
You're probably right about the weak team stuff with this scenario. But Loeb is still doing 4-5 Rallies and most likely will win at least half of them. And presuming Hirvonen scores regular podiums, perhaps they will be fine. Considering also unknown VW performance yet. I don't know Sordo's relationships with Citroen are still good though after he went out end of 2010 replaced with the young Ogier. About Ford if they are left without Sordo & Solberg, Ostberg would be best choice I guess, he has even win this year with private car, not bad, scores 3-4 places regularly. Has little poor tarmac performance, but if he gets more faster in factory car, he'll be able to fight for victories more often...

I'm still very unsure about Ostberg - I may well be proven wrong but I never see him as a winner of WRC rallies without at least 2 or 3 retiring. He has consistency but just not the pace, especially on tarmac. Think about Neuville and even Novikov - both have shown incredible pace at times but lack the consistency. But as people know it is easier to teach consistency than pace. For me Ostberg is destined for a Henning Solberg type career, while Neuville and Mikkelsen could well be dominant in the WRC in the future in my opinion. However we won't know who's right until or if it happens!

RJM
5th October 2012, 23:36
I'm still very unsure about Ostberg - I may well be proven wrong but I never see him as a winner of WRC rallies without at least 2 or 3 retiring. He has consistency but just not the pace, especially on tarmac. Think about Neuville and even Novikov - both have shown incredible pace at times but lack the consistency. But as people know it is easier to teach consistency than pace. For me Ostberg is destined for a Henning Solberg type career, while Neuville and Mikkelsen could well be dominant in the WRC in the future in my opinion. However we won't know who's right until or if it happens!

I think Ogier will have something to say about that.

pettersolberg29
5th October 2012, 23:59
I think Ogier will have something to say about that.

Very true, but until these two are thrown in the deep end like Ogier was we won't know if they can compete at the same level. The dream is to have a situation where Ogier, JML, Neuville, Mikkelsen, Sordo, and maybe one or 2 other youngsters really reach their potential and can compete for wins among 5 or 6 drivers by 2014 or 2015, as opposed to only 2 or 3 at the moment (in Mikko, Sordo and Petter we have 3 which haven't even won this season, 2 which haven't won for years and one who has never won!)

RJM
6th October 2012, 00:06
Im hoping that tanak shows us what malcom has seen in him next year, I was hoping for more from him.

pettersolberg29
6th October 2012, 00:28
Im hoping that tanak shows us what malcom has seen in him next year, I was hoping for more from him.

Same, but his pace has been okay at times, and he's still such a newcomer to the WRC so he can be forgiven. Think how many years JML and Mikko did in the WRC without showing any real potential before they suddenly blossomed. I still see a future for Tanak if Malcolm keeps faith.

focus206
6th October 2012, 01:52
I think you will find it is a spoof news website. Its a joke. I think the part of the story where he kidnaps a homeless man and straps him in the car when he had no co driver might be a clue

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

It was already cleared :D

manta400
6th October 2012, 18:42
totally impossible,maybe as a test driver.

this came from within the family so why impossible? I dont post for the sake of it

Plan9
7th October 2012, 04:26
I can see Meeke at Citroen, they do know what he is made of and he was comfortable with them in the past. However I am still thinking he will be back with Prodrive for a full season. If well funded that could be a UK/Mini marketing teams dream.

alleskids
7th October 2012, 07:19
i don't see Meeke as Citroen manufacturer title material. my guess is Meeke has been signed by Huyndai, for his testing skills (and a lot of knowlegde from Citroen)

GigiGalliNo1
7th October 2012, 09:05
Or back to a MINI?

alleskids
7th October 2012, 09:27
back to Mini, who treated him bad? no way, unless it is as owner of Prodrive :)

amilk
7th October 2012, 17:05
Why would be Meeke better than Neuville? Neuville has more WRC race experience now. If Neuville not Ok for Citroen boss Meeke will be not also, factually he proved not so much in WRC (had no chance)

rallyfiend
7th October 2012, 17:37

Beggars can't be choosers

RJM
7th October 2012, 21:55
Why would be Meeke better than Neuville? Neuville has more WRC race experience now. If Neuville not Ok for Citroen boss Meeke will be not also, factually he proved not so much in WRC (had no chance)

Meeke was much faster than neuville a couple of years ago in the same peugeot...

pettersolberg29
7th October 2012, 21:59
Neuville has matured and grown so much since then though and will only continue to improve for the next few years

amilk
7th October 2012, 22:01
Meeke was much faster than neuville a couple of years ago in the same peugeot...

At that time Meeke was on thop and Neuville was a rooky - since that time....

RJM
7th October 2012, 22:15
At that time Meeke was on thop and Neuville was a rooky - since that time....

...Yes and meeke would beat him still, he has a lot more years experiance in rally.

mousti
7th October 2012, 23:12
Neuville is still growing, that's why they let him stay at Citroën Junior Team, next year he'll get for sure a podium! Spain will be interesting though this year for him. Also very marketable guy!

Prisoner Monkeys
8th October 2012, 05:44
Or unless Mini has found someone else to run their factory team next year.

Plan9
8th October 2012, 07:06
Atko and Kris with mini holds soma appeal. Buth they need to do something with the number 12 car first. It seems cursed.

GigiGalliNo1
8th October 2012, 16:42
Meeke should be joint Citroen junior team in 2013 with Neuville ;)

noel157
8th October 2012, 17:16
Meeke should be joint Citroen junior team in 2013 with Neuville ;)

Hmmm..

pettersolberg29
9th October 2012, 17:22
Now confirmed that Sordo is the 2nd Citroen driver for 8 rallies in 2013. Looking for a source but I am 100% certain of this now as the person who told me is reliable.

GigiGalliNo1
9th October 2012, 17:41
100%

rallye-vid
9th October 2012, 17:42
Sordo kehrt zu Citroën zurück*:: rallye-magazin.de (http://www.rallye-magazin.de/rallyes/wm/nachrichten/news-detail/d/2012/10/09/sordo-kehrt-zu-citroen-zurueck/index.html)

I'm waiting now for any news about JML and VW..

makinen_fan
9th October 2012, 17:43
Also reported here if article is to be trusted. I hope to see Dani for full program though
Sordo kehrt zu Citroën zurück*:: rallye-magazin.de (http://www.rallye-magazin.de/rallyes/wm/nachrichten/news-detail/d/2012/10/09/sordo-kehrt-zu-citroen-zurueck/index.html)

A FONDO
9th October 2012, 17:43
The two biggest spineless in one team :) ))))) wouldnt believe it a few years ago

pettersolberg29
9th October 2012, 17:46
Cheers for finding the articles! From what I believe Sordo will compete a full program from after Rally Sweden next season if he fulfills certain criteria in his contract as Citroen do have a DS3 for him on the rounds Loeb comes in. However I don't think he is competing in Monte Carlo or Sweden.
DSTM!

GigiGalliNo1
9th October 2012, 17:46
Silly for him to go back but he will now have a proper chance with Citroen to win. Back in a strong team is what he needs.

Meeke will be junior at Citroen and JML is staying at Ford. VW have their guys don't worry

sete
9th October 2012, 17:53
i am waiting about news of P.Solberg future.Will he stay with Ford?

Barreis
9th October 2012, 17:54
Finally some transfer time. :D

makinen_fan
9th October 2012, 17:54
Even though I like Dani as a driver I am a bit sceptic whether he will be fast next year with a DS3. He is so little time behind the wheel these days, especially no gravel driving which is his weak surface, he may have lost some of his skills, and probably will need some time to adapt to DS3.

rallye-vid
9th October 2012, 17:58
We saw him in Argentina. First time in the fiesta, not that bad.

pettersolberg29
9th October 2012, 18:02
i am waiting about news of P.Solberg future.Will he stay with Ford?

As of yet he hasn't been offered a deal, but I'd expect that to change. Especially if JML moves to VW as there aren't enough world class drivers around if JML, Ogier, Sordo, Loeb, Petter and Mikko are taken/not wanted. There are not 2 other drivers who are good enough to make up the Ford factory team out there.

Kielder
9th October 2012, 18:23
Even though I like Dani as a driver I am a bit sceptic whether he will be fast next year with a DS3. He is so little time behind the wheel these days, especially no gravel driving which is his weak surface, he may have lost some of his skills, and probably will need some time to adapt to DS3.

Don't forget he worked in its development.
The car is very different now, but adaptation won't be a problem. Loeb's shadow or presence is going to be the problem.

makinen_fan
9th October 2012, 18:24
I hope that Ford is not left without an experienced driver to lead the team as happened again back in 2004 when Gardemeister was leading the team

sete
9th October 2012, 18:25
now in these situation i supposed that Latvala stay with Ford and P.Solberg will go to VW.
next question is if Sordo is going to Citroen does it mean end for Prodrive?

GigiGalliNo1
9th October 2012, 18:27
Prodrive will go on don't worry.

JML will stay at Ford.

How does this sound.

Petter Solberg to Mini/Prodrive. Can you get your head around that?

Don't worry Aswell as BMW will be back in bed with Prodrive to support it

sete
9th October 2012, 18:28
gardemeister wasnt unexperienced driver-he isnt a good test driver, so in this was good Kresta.

sete
9th October 2012, 18:29
I am fan of Petter for me is neceserry to hear he will be on the track in 2013 .-)
so it sound like perfect lineup for 2013-
CITROEN
Hirvo
Sordo/Loeb
FORD
Latvala
VW
Ogier
Mini
P.Solberg

pettersolberg29
9th October 2012, 18:31
gardemeister wasnt unexperienced driver-he isnt a good test driver, so in this was good Kresta.

Yeh but Gardemeister wasn't world class, and nowadays there are only 6 drivers I'd call world class and Solberg and JML are the only 2 who we don't know about yet. Ford need to go all out to keep them in my opinion.

pettersolberg29
9th October 2012, 18:31
Petter Solberg to Mini/Prodrive. Can you get your head around that?

Petter back to Prodrive? Not a chance!

makinen_fan
9th October 2012, 18:34
Yes I cannot that happening again. He had some pretty bad things to see about them and the way they managed the Subaru performance drop situation. I do not expect him to go to a Mini.

Also some news from Heyden Paddon are expected. He wrote on his Twitter account:
When one door closes, another opens. Some exciting news to come in a few days time. Thanks everyone for all the messages of support

rallye-vid
9th October 2012, 18:40
Mini - Ostberg/Paddon.. Who knows, who knows

sete
9th October 2012, 18:44
today in the morning i saw a M.Prokop on Prague airport to flight into England(Bournemouth)

A FONDO
9th October 2012, 18:47
Petter back to Prodrive? Not a chance!

We were saying the same for a possible return to Ford, so... let's just wait

sete
9th October 2012, 18:48
maybe Petter will go to Hyundai for his experiences but he will lose one season of racing.who knows

pettersolberg29
9th October 2012, 18:49
We were saying the same for a possible return to Ford, so... let's just wait

Very true, but I can't picture it as Mini are no longer competitive and Petter would probably risk a year developing Hyundai or going private ahead of going to Prodrive/Mini I can imagine.

GigiGalliNo1
9th October 2012, 18:57
Thing is MiNI would be doing much better and be more
Competitive if they had support and the money to work on the cars. If drivers could see this and see the potential when Prodrive will have the proper backing then perhaps Solberg and or other drivers would join the team

Barreis
9th October 2012, 19:01
They had proper backing from subaru and last 3 seasons did nothing.

A FONDO
9th October 2012, 19:08
They had proper backing from subaru and last 3 seasons did nothing.

Partly because of their mediocre drivers

GigiGalliNo1
9th October 2012, 19:08
Japanese kept their cheque books in their pockets (from crisis) and their cats didn't approve of spending!!! (pet cats in Japan are the bosses, it's a funny joke - you must approve all business meetings with a cat at the table)

Rallyper
9th October 2012, 19:39
I reccon JML stays at Ford and if Petter doesn´t want or maybe better, has an offer from VW, we might see him there. Mads then will be #2 driver at Ford. VW might need a person of Petter´s caliber cheering up the brand.

(this is my speculations only, though)

EightGear
9th October 2012, 19:53
Silly season has really started, me likey likey. :D

Like someone mentioned, Ford can't afford to loose both JML and Petter. Ostberg could be a worthy replacement for one of them, but I can't think of someone else who suits Ford's needs.

I'm afraid Prodrive Mini is dead and buried now they lost their driver....

makinen_fan
9th October 2012, 20:34
Partly because of their mediocre drivers

But what other suggest is that Petter should lead Mini Prodrive as he also did back in those days in Subaru... and probably Atko joining him for no2 there :P
A doomed team already all over again

Moriarty
9th October 2012, 20:58
Sordo with Citroen team mate Hirvonen 2013 for 8 Rallyes ! Sordo kehrt zu Citroën zurück*:: rallye-magazin.de (http://t.co/uz013Jsr)

noel157
9th October 2012, 21:14
Problem with Mini is that they've lost just about a season of development. Very few proper tests other that preparing for events running around a car park. But, if the money was there they could eventually catch up.

alleskids
9th October 2012, 21:31
Loeb will do the 5 events he likes the most. being Monte carlo, Sweden, France, Germany.
Sordo's best change over Hirvonen is tarmac, but he will not do the tarmac rounds, because Loeb will do them. and if Sordo does it in the 3rd factory car, and he will have to support Hirvonen, also Loeb will be doing his utter best to winotherwis eit is no use in coming back.
Sordo might find himself strapped down in the same tight team order situation in 2013 with Citroen

pettersolberg29
9th October 2012, 23:06
Loeb will do the 5 events he likes the most. being Monte carlo, Sweden, France, Germany.
Sordo's best change over Hirvonen is tarmac, but he will not do the tarmac rounds, because Loeb will do them. and if Sordo does it in the 3rd factory car, and he will have to support Hirvonen, also Loeb will be doing his utter best to winotherwis eit is no use in coming back.
Sordo might find himself strapped down in the same tight team order situation in 2013 with Citroen

Agreed for 2013, however this gives Sordo a year to get used to the DS3 and improve his pace ready for a full assault in 2014 when Loeb is no longer a factor and it's a straight battle between Mikko and Sordo for number 1 in the team. I think Sordo is a more talented rally driver than Mikko (though I know that's controversial and perhaps not backed up by stats) and believe he would beat Mikko over a full season. Overall I think it's a perfect deal for both parties.

In an ideal world I'd like to see Ford keep JML and Petter, VW trust Mikkelsen next to Ogier and hopefully see Meeke and Ostberg trusted with Hyundai testing as well as perhaps privateer entries to keep their skills up.

vkangas
9th October 2012, 23:17
Again, I want to raise Hänninen up here. Why not him to Ford? He is looking for a WRC seat... Hope some sponsors will be reading :)

J.Lindstroem
9th October 2012, 23:21
I would like to see Östberg step up to a works seat for 2013...

Gregor-y
9th October 2012, 23:25
Again, I want to raise Hänninen up here. Why not him to Ford? He is looking for a WRC seat... Hope some sponsors will be reading :)

I agree with this. Soon enough people will start to say he's too old to make the transition. Though I also think because of his service to Skoda he should be in a VW on some team or other.

Mintexmemory
9th October 2012, 23:45
I would like to see Östberg step up to a works seat for 2013...
I'm sure if JML goes to VW that Mads will be No2 to Petter at Ford or maybe No2 to Sordo _ there had to be a reason why Malcwent for him when JML had his accident!

bt52b
10th October 2012, 00:18
Problem with Mini is that they've lost just about a season of development. Very few proper tests other that preparing for events running around a car park. But, if the money was there they could eventually catch up.

Probably lost their drivers too, and they won't be easy to replace

noel157
10th October 2012, 01:04
Probably lost their drivers too, and they won't be easy to replace

True. We'll see what Wilcox has to say over the coming month or so.

Plan9
10th October 2012, 01:50

Rumor has in the the VW thread that he is staying with Skoda for ANOTHER year. Yes, I don't know why either. I think he would be wonderful anywhere that makes WRC machines...

Plan9
10th October 2012, 01:52
True. We'll see what Wilcox has to say over the coming month or so.

How did Mini lose a year of development? I follow their press releases and they are always full of info about new parts that Dani is going to be trying on various rallies. As you seem to be in the know, would you say that there is any chance of thius project comming of life support. I am fast losing my faith in it since France and Dani was so far off the pace...

RAS007
10th October 2012, 04:11
Any particular reason why Petter has not been offered a new contract by Ford? I think he has done a terrific job this year, as a "Number 2" driver. :rolleyes:

If anything, Ford should be taking a long, hard look at Malcolm's contract.....

Prisoner Monkeys
10th October 2012, 05:28
I cannot put my response to that into words.

I might, however, be able to put it into a URL: Crash de Solberg au WRC Rallye de France Alsace 2012 à Epfig - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=InaK-NtBRvI)

I wouldn't re-sign him after doing something as bloody stupid as that.

Franky
10th October 2012, 07:06
I cannot put my response to that into words.

I might, however, be able to put it into a URL: Crash de Solberg au WRC Rallye de France Alsace 2012 à Epfig - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=InaK-NtBRvI)

I wouldn't re-sign him after doing something as bloody stupid as that.

Accidents happen even to the best. For some reason people have come to want a non-stop perfect execution from the drivers.

Viking
10th October 2012, 07:29
Petter has said to Norwegian media that he belives he is a Ford driver also next year, contract meetings in near future.

And i read somewhere that there has been contact between Mads and Prodrive, not so strange as Adapta were an long time Prodrive customer.

bluuford
10th October 2012, 07:59
Any particular reason why Petter has not been offered a new contract by Ford? I think he has done a terrific job this year, as a "Number 2" driver. :rolleyes:

If anything, Ford should be taking a long, hard look at Malcolm's contract.....

Well, looking at Petter´s recent record.. I would suggest to hire Ostberg if I have to choose the best from the market (considering Sordo and Citroen is done deal). Petter has retired 4 times in 11 rallies and he is behind Mads in the championship table. Mads has been privateer + he has done two events less than Petter.

And he has birthday tomorow? 25?

I remember that I watched from TV some kind of show where Mads was considered as a driver who managed to crash very ofthen and even twice in one stage (It was containing some kind of crazy videos). And the person who was running the show concluded that this driver needs to choose new proffession ;-) Anyone knows it? Look what has happened now. Mads is one of the most reliable drivers in WRC.

kirungi okwogera
10th October 2012, 09:17
Yes I cannot that happening again. He had some pretty bad things to see about them and the way they managed the Subaru performance drop situation. I do not expect him to go to a Mini.

Also some news from Heyden Paddon are expected. He wrote on his Twitter account:
When one door closes, another opens. Some exciting news to come in a few days time. Thanks everyone for all the messages of support

I hope it's not Mini, unless their financial/performance situation is better than this year - new drivers with potential need proper support to fulfill that potential - look at Ogier, Neuville etc. Maybe he's had word from Hyundai, if there's any car brand even remotely interested in the New Zealand car market (small as it is), it'll be Hyundai (or a Japanese make). They've pushed hard to break into NZ/Aus.

I hope to see Paddon fighting Ogier with the rest of the new breed (breen, ostberg etc.) in a year or two!

noel157
10th October 2012, 09:29
How did Mini lose a year of development? I follow their press releases and they are always full of info about new parts that Dani is going to be trying on various rallies. As you seem to be in the know, would you say that there is any chance of thius project comming of life support. I am fast losing my faith in it since France and Dani was so far off the pace...

Press releases? Press releases are just press releases. And they don't cost anything.

Development means money and that's something that Prodrive don't have, sadly.
Who knows what will happen?

Scenarios:
#1 Mini will disappear
#2 Prodrive will find some money and continue with the Mini as a private entrant
#3 BMW will take it in-house
#4 Go back to renta drivers
#5 BMW and Prodrive will kiss and make-up
#6 ???????????????
I hope something positive happens with Mini but.....

Leon
10th October 2012, 10:15
In prodrive tweeter they "invite" Muller to compete in Monte Carlo with their car so I will assume is maybe #4

dimviii
10th October 2012, 10:16
from Colin Clarks twitter

Spoke with Johki in France, and he didn't say it outright, but heavily hinted that VW was where JML is going

Iskald
10th October 2012, 10:29
Well, looking at Petter´s recent record.. I would suggest to hire Ostberg if I have to choose the best from the market (considering Sordo and Citroen is done deal). Petter has retired 4 times in 11 rallies and he is behind Mads in the championship table. Mads has been privateer + he has done two events less than Petter.

And he has birthday tomorow? 25?

I remember that I watched from TV some kind of show where Mads was considered as a driver who managed to crash very ofthen and even twice in one stage (It was containing some kind of crazy videos). And the person who was running the show concluded that this driver needs to choose new proffession ;-) Anyone knows it? Look what has happened now. Mads is one of the most reliable drivers in WRC.

He had quite a few major accidents in the beginning of his career in Norway. My company supplied the footage for the (american) TV-show you are referring to. But then of course Mads started his first rally in a WRC-Subaru just days after his 18th birthday (Lausitz Rallye, Germany, oct. 2005), where he stunned everybody by leading in front of multiple german champion Matthias Kahle after the first evening.

GigiGalliNo1
10th October 2012, 12:16
News Sordo signed with Citroen. From Mexico 8 rounds.

noel157
10th October 2012, 12:17
News Sordo signed with Citroen. From Mexico 8 rounds.

No flies on you.... :)

makinen_fan
10th October 2012, 17:12
Nasser with Fiesta RRC in Jordan
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/483094_454436151261150_1770529256_n.jpg

GigiGalliNo1
10th October 2012, 17:36
That is a brain fart!
Livery confusing on another car! Haha

Prisoner Monkeys
11th October 2012, 00:26
Accidents happen even to the best. For some reason people have come to want a non-stop perfect execution from the drivers.
I'm not demanding perfect execution. Only that Solberg thinks about what he does.

When he went off, his pace notes would have clearly indicated that the right-hander was coming up - and they would have told him how sharp they were. And yet, he continued to power through the vineyard, somehow missed the road that he was crossing (and he is experienced enough to know that the gap in the vineyards and the sudden change in the surface corresponded roughly with the position of the upcoming road), and then powered through the vineyards again, driving too fast while he was completely blind.

It's one thing to demand absolute perfection from a driver every single time.

It is another thing entirely to demand competence from a driver. In this case, I'd only expect the latter from Solberg.

GigiGalliNo1
11th October 2012, 01:41
If you drive on an angle... You'd think you'd hit the road again no? The vines were in his windscreen and that is that. He couldn't see. Yes he should have stopped earlier but no one can comment on how he could or couldn't have handled it. We were NOT in his shoes,he is the only one with the experience and intelligence to make the decision on what he does. Sorry but it's true.

Prisoner Monkeys
11th October 2012, 04:00
Again, Solberg's pace notes should have warned him that the corner was coming up. Especially since the left-hander and the right were so close together and the right was effectively a ninety-degree bend; the notes had to warn him it was there before he went off. He also should have noticed the change in surface when he reached the road, especially when he had to climb an embankment to get back up and could suddenly see again.

At the very least, he should not have accelerated when he went off the road. I get what he was trying to do, but he made an absolute mess of it. Common sense would dictate that you slow down when you go off and can't see where you're going because of all the vines - there's no excuse for that - lest you accidentally miss the road, drive through another vineyard and crash into a telegraph pole so hard that you bring it down and cut power to a nearby village.

Sometimes, I think Solberg is a lot like Kimi Raikkonen: he's got a leigon of fans who won't hear anything against him (though they're not as militant about it as Raikkonen's fans). If it were any other driver involved in this accident - Nobre, Oliveira, Novikov; anyone except maybe Loeb - you'd all be decrying the accident as a moment of monumental stupidity by the driver. But because it's Petter Solberg, it's okay.

RAS007
11th October 2012, 04:33
I'm not demanding perfect execution. Only that Solberg thinks about what he does.

When he went off, his pace notes would have clearly indicated that the right-hander was coming up - and they would have told him how sharp they were. And yet, he continued to power through the vineyard, somehow missed the road that he was crossing (and he is experienced enough to know that the gap in the vineyards and the sudden change in the surface corresponded roughly with the position of the upcoming road), and then powered through the vineyards again, driving too fast while he was completely blind.

It's one thing to demand absolute perfection from a driver every single time.

It is another thing entirely to demand competence from a driver. In this case, I'd only expect the latter from Solberg.

Like the OP said, people make mistakes. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that in your opinion, Solberg should not be offered a new contract with Ford because of this one incident? Or because this fits into a pattern of behaviour? Either way, I am assuming that you wouldn't offer JML a new contract either, then?

skarderud
11th October 2012, 08:57
Well, how smart petters move was, can we discuss to the bitter end. Put yourself in same situation, you know that you are stuk if you left the trottle. You don't see anything around you, but you know that the road change direction in front of you. An angle difference of 10 degrees make your way back on road atleast 100m longer, so you give trottle and hope for the best. When we know the result maybe not the smartest move, but you would probably do exactly the same if it was you inside that car in that moment. Its to easy to critisise Petter and Chris for this, most of us would do exactly the same.

Fly
11th October 2012, 09:51
Turbo Magazine :: Hans Weijs jr sur la Citroën DS3 WRC Qatar en Espagne (http://sport.turbomagazine.be/news_FR_11010_Hans_Weijs_jr_sur_la_Citroen_DS3_WRC _Qatar_en_Espagne.html)

OgyWRC
11th October 2012, 10:10
The rally driver instinct is to push hard in order to reach the road again (I now it from personal experience). But the question is how sensible it is? Usually the driver is too affected from his mistake and couldn’t find the most rational decision, just remember Tanak’s off in Argentina.

Peter did it his way, but although he has a great experience, he didn’t count for potential spectators somewhere there. From this perspective he was lucky to stop into a telegraph pole.

Mintexmemory
11th October 2012, 10:33
Turbo Magazine :: Hans Weijs jr sur la Citroën DS3 WRC Qatar en Espagne (http://sport.turbomagazine.be/news_FR_11010_Hans_Weijs_jr_sur_la_Citroen_DS3_WRC _Qatar_en_Espagne.html)
Great news for Hans, but surprised that TN hasn't got the car for Spain - does this mean that Citroen will be entering him in a Junior Car?

noel157
11th October 2012, 10:35
Read that earlier today here Hans Weijs jr. im Citroën WRC*:: rallye-magazin.de (http://www.rallye-magazin.de/rallyes/wm/nachrichten/news-detail/d/2012/10/11/hans-weijs-jr-im-citroen-wrc/index.html), presume it's just between Nasser and Hans rather than official Citroen Sport entry although Neuville in Sardinia may make it official?

rallyfiend
11th October 2012, 10:42
Read that earlier today here Hans Weijs jr. im Citroën WRC*:: rallye-magazin.de (http://www.rallye-magazin.de/rallyes/wm/nachrichten/news-detail/d/2012/10/11/hans-weijs-jr-im-citroen-wrc/index.html), presume it's just between Nasser and Hans rather than official Citroen Sport entry although Neuville in Sardinia may make it official?

Bit of a surprise given his deal with VW. Perhaps that deal is all over.

Hasn't exactly shone in South Africa.

Mintexmemory
11th October 2012, 11:22
I don't think the VW Polo S2000 is competitive anymore (has it ever been really competitive after 2008? 2012 now...), so it's hard to compare his results on that... When he was driving in JWRC he was usually faster than Neuville so that can't be so bad. :)
There fixed that for you (based on 2010 JWRC results ;) )

MartijnS
11th October 2012, 11:23
Was a ****ty car, 3 engines blown in 2 of his last rallies in a row.

Let's hope this is true!

Mintexmemory
11th October 2012, 12:23
You're right. Anyway I remember they were always close (Weijs, Neuville and Arzeno), Weijs had more experience back then, but still, extremely talented and very kind person.

You are right about Hans' personality - I found Hans, Thierry and Kevin Abbring all to be really pleasant guys. I hope they all make it to a WRC podium in time.

Iskald
11th October 2012, 14:14
Petter Solberg visited Paris yesterday...Strong rumours has it that he, Mads Østberg and Dani Sordo is in the fight for a Citroën seat. Mini/Prodrive won`t get any support from BMW, except for a new engine homologation, and will not run as a factory team in 2013. M-Sport (Malcolm Wilson) wants to run Huyndai. Ford will quit. (and thats the reason for Latvala not staying with M-Sport and moving to VW) How`s that for a little shake-up?

EightGear
11th October 2012, 14:22
AL-ATTIYAH GUNT HANS WEIJS KANS IN WRC (http://www.startasm.nl/?p=1080)

Weijs has permission from Capito.

J.Lindstroem
11th October 2012, 14:59
Sounds like a shake-up indeed. Its a shame, we have been waiting for a 3rd strong manufactor for a while now, and when its finally here, one of the old ones quit. I reeally hope its not true!!

stefanvv
11th October 2012, 15:17
Petter Solberg visited Paris yesterday...Strong rumours has it that he, Mads Østberg and Dani Sordo is in the fight for a Citroën seat. Mini/Prodrive won`t get any support from BMW, except for a new engine homologation, and will not run as a factory team in 2013. M-Sport (Malcolm Wilson) wants to run Huyndai. Ford will quit. (and thats the reason for Latvala not staying with M-Sport and moving to VW) How`s that for a little shake-up?

Ford quit after so many years in Rally? Hard to believe that, but who knows. About Huyndai I thought they want to run the team factory based.

rallyfiend
11th October 2012, 15:20
Ford quit after so many years in Rally? Hard to believe that, but who knows. About Huyndai I thought they want to run the team factory based.

Yes, but if Ford leaving leaves a perfectly good garagiste ready to go, then why not investigate.

noel157
11th October 2012, 15:31
I thought they were setting up a facility in Offenbach?

Gregor-y
11th October 2012, 15:35
I don't think the VW Polo S2000 is competitive anymore (has it ever been really competitive after 2008? 2012 now...), so it's hard to compare his results on that... When he was driving in JWRC he was always close to Neuville so that can't be so bad. :)

Was it ever competitive to begin with? Not even Loix could make it shine in Ieper if I remember. Then again I only remember it on IRC events and don't know how it fared locally.

rallyfiend
11th October 2012, 15:43

Ford have been gradually quitting the sport for many years.
That they should one day finally cut the apron strings altogether should not come as too much of a surprise to many.
So, still 2 manufacturer teams in 2013 if these rumours are to be believed!

Mintexmemory
11th October 2012, 15:53
Yes, but if Ford leaving leaves a perfectly good garagiste ready to go, then why not investigate.
Or failing a perfectly good garagiste they could talk to M - Sport! ;)

RAS007
11th October 2012, 15:53
Ford have been gradually quitting the sport for many years.
That they should one day finally cut the apron strings altogether should not come as too much of a surprise to many.
So, still 2 manufacturer teams in 2013 if these rumours are to be believed!

I don't possess the vocabulary to express how much I hope this is not true. Having only 2 factory teams for the last few years is what has made the sport so unbearably boring, and has been probably the largest contributory factor to the decline of the series.

BleAivano
11th October 2012, 16:00
Ramona Karlsson and Miriam Walfridsson will do a guest appearance in a new (non fictional) tv-series called "Motorsystrar" (motor sisters).

Ramona och Miriam med i SVTs nysatsning (http://www.ramonarallying.com/2012/10/11/ramona-och-miriam-med-i-svts-nya-motorsystrar/)
Motorsystrarna tar pulsen på motor-Sverige | SVT.se (http://www.svt.se/motorsystrar/motorsystrarna-tar-pulsen-pa-motor-sverige)

HaCo
11th October 2012, 16:51
In 2007 Loix was driving it in Ypres, he was leading when he retired with some mechanical failure. Later in '07 Loix was doing Condroz with Polo, was very close to Duval-Punto, but also due to some technical issues (exhaust-collector etc) Duval won the rally.
In 2008 Casier finished third in Ypres with the VW Polo S2000. Loix never drove the Polo outside Belgium, Casier did some IRC-program in 2008 but somehow not always in optimal conditions I think.

I was in the Condroz that year. He was given a stupid penalty in what was an awesome battle between him (Loix) and Duval. Loix didn't start on Sunday because of the penalty. He had collector problems (was on the stage), but that didn't really slow him if I recall correct.

Verstuurd van mijn ARCHOS 80G9 met Tapatalk

noel157
11th October 2012, 17:41
I don't possess the vocabulary to express how much I hope this is not true. Having only 2 factory teams for the last few years is what has made the sport so unbearably boring, and has been probably the largest contributory factor to the decline of the series.

2 factory teams are not a problem, the problem is when one is considerably better than the other. If Citroen and VW are competitive with one another (and little of Loeb may help) then we have a great championship.
The best circuit race I ever saw had 3 cars entered (in NOT terms it was a village meeting), one car was useless, the other two fought like tooth and nail for 10 laps, the winner won by about half a meter.
Of course more WRC teams would be better although I'm sure we'll see some kind of M-Sport effort next season.

EightGear
11th October 2012, 17:46
I'm curious to know what the source of all this is?

It seems like a totally unreasonable timing for Ford to quit.

1. Loeb scales back his program.
2. There is a new promotor.
3. Latvala claims to have had an offer from Ford for next year (Autosport even reporting today that Ford has upped the offer to let him stay)
4. Autosport saying today that Sordo and Solberg are on both Citroen and Ford's list of potential drivers for 2013.

sete
11th October 2012, 18:20
maybe Ford will continue as a full factory team(like Citroen) and M-Sport can take a Hyundai deal.

AndyRAC
11th October 2012, 18:32
I must admit I have wondered if it would be in each others best interests for Ford and M-Sport to separate. They've been together since 1997; no drivers Title and a couple of Manufacturers Titles is hardly a raging success.

rallyfiend
11th October 2012, 18:43
I must admit I have wondered if it would be in each others best interests for Ford and M-Sport to separate. They've been together since 1997; no drivers Title and a couple of Manufacturers Titles is hardly a raging success.

It's probably one of the cheapest high profile international motorsport programmes for a manufacturer. The ancillary services that MW provides no doubt hugely subsidise the factory involvement. Sure, MW no doubt makes a bucket of cash, but this would still be far, far cheaper than taking in-house.

Ford are hardly likely to take any steps that increase their costs. If they split from M-Sport, it's only because they're leaving the sport.

Iskald
11th October 2012, 19:11
Speculation is highly entertaining, isnt it? It makes people curious, and perhaps able to think outside well known "tracks". I must admit I'm sceptical myself, but it may well make some sense. Because its no doubt my source is an insider...Nuff said.

Arganil
11th October 2012, 19:13
Caramba! Why doesn't anyone turn this "Ford every year quiting topic" into a TV soap opera?

Ford is commited to WRC with MSport for 2012 and 2013: Ford extends World Rally Championship participation with new two-year agreement with M-Sport (http://www.m-sport.co.uk/index.php/news/899-ford-extends-world-rally-championship-participation-with-new-two-year-agreement-with-m-sport)

2013 is their biggest chance to become world manufactureur champions again and get a Ford driver world champion for the first time since Vatanen (1981!!!). Surely they won't miss the try.

But for 2014 no one can tell, so this MSport/Hyundai rumour could make some sense (not so difficult to Mr. Wilson to use a satellite company for the Hyundai WRC development).

pettersolberg29
11th October 2012, 19:20
I'd guess that even if M-Sport did take on the Hyundai project it wouldn't be until 2014 and there would still be a strong Ford presence as the Fiesta is such a favourite car for the privateers. I know for a fact that a top driver has been offered a one year deal by Ford so unless things have changed massively in the past week I have to assume there will be a top Ford team (be it run by M-Sport or not) in the WRC next year.

2014? Who knows? Has the potential to be the new dawn of the WRC with 5 manufacturers, or to be a continuation of the end with 2 manufacturers, one of which would be a new and unknown quantity of Hyundai. Be interesting to see what happens!

Co-FIN
11th October 2012, 22:07
One of Finland´s biggest websites&tv-channel says in their website that Hänninen is close to WRC deal with MINI..

Lehtiväite: Suomalaiskuski lähellä WRC-pestiä - MTV3.fi - Urheilu - Ralli - Uutiset (http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/2012/10/1634027/lehtivaite-suomalaiskuski-lahella-wrc-pestia)

rallye-vid
11th October 2012, 22:13
So, a fight Atko vs. Juho for the 10th place next time?

Or will Juho get the ex-Sordo mini?

Mirek
11th October 2012, 22:23
One of Finland´s biggest websites&tv-channel says in their website that Hänninen is close to WRC deal with MINI..

Lehtiväite: Suomalaiskuski lähellä WRC-pestiä - MTV3.fi - Urheilu - Ralli - Uutiset (http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutiset.shtml/2012/10/1634027/lehtivaite-suomalaiskuski-lahella-wrc-pestia)

Don't know what to think about it. I don't pretend I wouldn't mind him leaving Škoda. No, I would like him to stay but sure I understand he wants to go to WRC as his time is running - especially considering this and coming year Škoda doesn't make any interesting program with him. But with Mini Italia I fear it will turn into a bad joke. Anyway fingers crossed wherever You go, Juho! :)

kirungi okwogera
11th October 2012, 22:25
You're right. Anyway I remember they were always close (Weijs, Neuville and Arzeno), Weijs had more experience back then, but still, extremely talented and very kind person.

Speaking of that, where is Aaron Burkart (you know, the guy who WON that year!)? Was he just unable to continue because he doesn't have millions backing him up?

Mirek
11th October 2012, 22:29
Aaron won it by luck, not by speed. He wasn't bad but he is far from these named guys. Last time i saw him was in Rally Bohemia 2011 in Fiesta S2000 I think and he was rather slow to be honest.

mousti
11th October 2012, 22:39
A bit like Pons won it in SWRC.

Last year in Catalunya he was visibly slower than the SWRC runners and S2000 debutant and winner Yeray Lemes almost 5 minutes slower..

kirungi okwogera
11th October 2012, 22:41
Ah, that's a pity. Seemed like a pretty decent guy, all smiles during the rallies. Sometimes you want guys to succeed just for their character (Solberg comes to mind)!

Coach 2
11th October 2012, 23:00
Well, how smart petters move was, can we discuss to the bitter end. Put yourself in same situation, you know that you are stuk if you left the trottle. You don't see anything around you, but you know that the road change direction in front of you. An angle difference of 10 degrees make your way back on road atleast 100m longer, so you give trottle and hope for the best. When we know the result maybe not the smartest move, but you would probably do exactly the same if it was you inside that car in that moment. Its to easy to critisise Petter and Chris for this, most of us would do exactly the same.

I do not think we should criticize Chris, he says, well actually "wrong direction".

I'm a big P.S. fan, but in this case we should expect that he in the WRC, with the longest experience, should be one that could keep the head clear in such a situation. He actually heard the notes, which should tell him that he is on the wrong track before he hit the post.
We understand that andrenalin play in, but this is to lose Head.

PLuto
12th October 2012, 01:51
I dont think that Hyundai will go to cooperation with M-Sport. After bad experience with MSD they dont want to have external team...

vkangas
12th October 2012, 11:03
Don't know what to think about it. I don't pretend I wouldn't mind him leaving Škoda. No, I would like him to stay but sure I understand he wants to go to WRC as his time is running - especially considering this and coming year Škoda doesn't make any interesting program with him. But with Mini Italia I fear it will turn into a bad joke. Anyway fingers crossed wherever You go, Juho! :)
Agree. It's interesting to see what really happens. There are quite strong rumours from reliable sources in Finland that Mini will be a serious contender from 2014.

EightGear
12th October 2012, 11:05
Jarkko Nikara joins Prodrive Mini line-up for Rally Catalunya - WRC news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103350)