PDA

View Full Version : [WRC] News & rumours (part II)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

jcatanho
21st April 2011, 11:56
FIA is considering a change to the current running order rule, perhaps bringing it back to the top 15 reversed on Day 2 onwards as it were until 2008. Change could happen as early as Sardegna. Quesnel is in favour of the rule change, Wilson not so much.

That would be a improvement for WRC. It would be even better if the same rule would be applied for first day.

Bobcat
21st April 2011, 14:36
Change could happen as early as Sardegna. Quesnel is in favour of the rule change....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90898
That's a very great idea for Mikko..... really fair play from Quesnel :s ailor:.

Julle69
21st April 2011, 14:47
Running order change would be improvement, but it's funny how Quesnel is demanding that so strongly when Loeb is leading...

Tomi
21st April 2011, 14:55
Running order change would be improvement, but it's funny how Quesnel is demanding that so strongly when Loeb is leading...

I was thinking the timing was amusing too, but the idea it self is ok.

Bobcat
21st April 2011, 15:09

+1

bennizw
21st April 2011, 19:07
Finally!

miksu
21st April 2011, 21:49
i wish theyd try it out at least, maybe for couple of races and see how it works. I think it should be done with out a question...

Camelopard
22nd April 2011, 01:04

+2

Karukera
22nd April 2011, 08:51
I'm wondering what Papa Wilson is afraid of when he says : "if we go back to reversing the order, we could have some fairly predictable results"... :s tare:

cosmicpanda
22nd April 2011, 09:19
He means a return to the days when rallies were decided by Saturday afternoon.

Karukera
22nd April 2011, 10:03
[Tongue In Cheek on : TIC]

Thank you Kozmik, exactly what i thought, he's afraid of seeing rallies decided by Saturday afternoon. In his favour, it's understood...

Or could it be that he would be afraid of losing rallies and have Junior even more ridiculed on a regular basis when the current anti Loeb rule ends ? :) [TIC off]

No, it can't be for a simple reason : he has Latvala hence i don't see why he would question the change.

[TIC on]

Then it must be only for the love of the sport, just like Mr Quesnel's ...

[TIC off]

cosmicpanda
22nd April 2011, 10:59
Oh, the anti-Loeb rule! I know what you mean, it's the one that's stopped him winning these past few years.

Karukera
22nd April 2011, 11:08
Oh, the anti-Loeb rule! I know what you mean, it's the one that's stopped him winning these past few years.

Indeed, them FIA made a fool of themselves thinking they could stop him winning rallies with this rule. :s tare:

BleAivano
22nd April 2011, 13:42
He means a return to the days when rallies were decided by Saturday afternoon.

so? What is most important? that the crews have as equal conditions or that crews can loose allot of time on d1 but still be able to comeback
thanks to an advantageous road position? I'd rather have rallies that are decided already on the second day and knowing that the best crew won
then to have rules then penalizes the leader of the rally and or championship. Its the same bull as when touring car championships add weights to the
winners of the races.

What would it be like if FIA decided that the leader of the F1 WDC should start from the middle of the grid just because he is leading the championship?

Another option would be to have some sort of qualification stage. The better time on it, the better start position.

tfp
22nd April 2011, 20:52
Indeed, them FIA made a fool of themselves thinking they could stop him winning rallies with this rule. :s tare:

That diddn't work did it? :)
Loeb has had the last laugh really, all he does is purposely slow down at the last ss on the first leg :rolleyes:
He's found a loophole that the fia diddn't think about :D

cosmicpanda
23rd April 2011, 02:08
so? What is most important? that the crews have as equal conditions or that crews can loose allot of time on d1 but still be able to comeback
thanks to an advantageous road position? I'd rather have rallies that are decided already on the second day and knowing that the best crew won
then to have rules then penalizes the leader of the rally and or championship. Its the same bull as when touring car championships add weights to the
winners of the races.

What would it be like if FIA decided that the leader of the F1 WDC should start from the middle of the grid just because he is leading the championship?

Another option would be to have some sort of qualification stage. The better time on it, the better start position.

Fair enough, if that's what you think. Interestingly, in F1 these days they have made it easier to overtake by changing tyres and adding KERS and DRS, which in effect is the governing body artificially making the racing more exciting. I think the WRC's fortunate that it's already exciting and through a natural agency - running in rally order on the road.

Qualification stage might work, perhaps the best time in shakedown? That said, would that apply for all days of the event or just the first?

That diddn't work did it? :)
Loeb has had the last laugh really, all he does is purposely slow down at the last ss on the first leg :rolleyes:
He's found a loophole that the fia diddn't think about :D

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'm pretty sure that the FIA knew this would happen.

Lalo
23rd April 2011, 19:26
In this article, Petter suggested the right thing to do after the final stage of every leg is to have "a hat with pieces of paper with numbers. Each driver will step ahead and take one. Those numbers are the running order of the next day. If you take, for example, number 3, you'll be third on the road and so on". It's more like a gamble. Fair enough, equal luck to everybody. Sometime it will be good for the front runners, sometime it wont.

Link: http://www.ultimavuelta.com.ar/noticias.php?t=noticias_internacionales&id=4952

tfp
23rd April 2011, 20:44
In this article, Petter suggested the right thing to do after the final stage of every leg is to have "a hat with pieces of paper with numbers. Each driver will step ahead and take one. Those numbers are the running order of the next day. If you take, for example, number 3, you'll be third on the road and so on". It's more like a gamble. Fair enough, equal luck to everybody. Sometime it will be good for the front runners, sometime it wont.

Link: http://www.ultimavuelta.com.ar/noticias.php?t=noticias_internacionales&id=4952

Hmm I guess so. No matter how you look at the situation, there will always be downsides to the running orders, how ever they work. Maybe this is the only way to get a "fair" result.

Munkvy
26th April 2011, 01:45
I think another way would be to make the final stage of the first two days a power stage, rather than the last day. That way with points on offer you force people to drive competitively.

alleskids
26th April 2011, 09:46
Almost all stages are run twice, 1st in the morning, 2nd time afternoon. With the second time a lot more honest conditions. Why not save the second loops for day 3?

Hartusvuori
26th April 2011, 11:21
Almost all stages are run twice, 1st in the morning, 2nd time afternoon. With the second time a lot more honest conditions. Why not save the second loops for day 3?

Think about it from rally organization's point of view, getting permissions to close public roads, getting volunteers to marshall, keeping locals happy, etc.

NiekJ
26th April 2011, 12:29

Remember McRae in Australia some years ago? He was late on the "running order meeting" and had to start first. Delecour sacrificed himselft and clocked in too early so he started in front of McRae. That's not what we want.

Barreis
26th April 2011, 17:02
I think it was Grist's mistake. Another one.

Barreis
26th April 2011, 17:03
Remember McRae in Australia some years ago? He was late on the "running order meeting" and had to start first. Delecour sacrificed himselft and clocked in too early so he started in front of McRae. That's not what we want.

Also Delacour went off badly that time.

DIMI44
26th April 2011, 18:05
I think that is possible starting list of every morning to be based on results of previous day's 1st special stage.

ConfusedOne
27th April 2011, 09:44
I'd rather have rallies that are decided already on the second day and knowing that the best crew won
winners of the races.

The thing is it is not "bull". There is as far as I know NO national rally championship that runs any other start order than what is currently run in the WRC. That is the way rallying has been forever, it was the WRC that changed it, then changed it back!! The theory is that the "BEST" driver should be able to cope, otherwise they are not the best.

jbmarcus21
29th April 2011, 07:46
This week Simon Jean Joseph returns to rallying with Xsara Wrc of Petter Solberg ... He tested, with FG Racing & Petter Solberg Engineering, one day to prepare Rally Gravel Auxerre in France this week end.. I was there, and here my video http://bit.ly/lHmzrP

http://forum.rallyeforce.free.fr/files/sjj2.jpg

Hartusvuori
2nd May 2011, 07:42
Henri Toivonen - August 25th 1956 - May 2nd 1986.

wwbroe
2nd May 2011, 09:14
Henri Toivonen - August 25th 1956 - May 2nd 1986.

So it is allready 25 years since the fatal crash in Corsika, i remember it like yesterday. What a talented driver he was, together with Colin he was among the most spectacular and great drivers ever.

gtimad73
2nd May 2011, 09:21
RIP henri toivonen and sergio cresto. hard to think its been 25 years

Maui J.
2nd May 2011, 11:03
Wow! Hard to believe a quarter of a century has passed.
I wonder how his career would have continued. A sad chapter in WRC history.

WRCfan
2nd May 2011, 13:46
One of the WRC's most colourful characters, R.I.P. Henri Toivonen.

The legend lives on that is for sure!

PLuto
2nd May 2011, 23:55
Yes, it is 25 years and thats why organisers of Tour de Corse wanted to have this year event in first week of may. Despite they told it lot of months before, WRC and Sardegna organisers gave their events into the same date...

RICARDO75
3rd May 2011, 13:43
Attilio Bettega died on the same day in 1985 and with the same #4 on the door

rp
3rd May 2011, 15:27
No change to start order format in WRC for 2011. Process being used at present to remain until end of 2011 season...

N.O.T
3rd May 2011, 15:28
a wrong.... but fair decision... hope the rules change next year.

jbmarcus21
4th May 2011, 19:45
World Rally Car start SS from Rally Auxerre - HD video http://bit.ly/jVrzjR or youtube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b40cp9AK_AE&feature=player_embedded

Juha_Koo
11th May 2011, 07:22
An incredible rally-related crime has came up in Finland! :eek:

A well-known codriver has been sentenced to jail for over two years and a mechanic for over a year after they committed a fraud lasting over several years. The codriver was a manager at Nokia's factory located in Salo.

The manager (codriver) told (and adviced how to) the mechanic to do bills that looked like coming from Nokia's subcontractors. The number of bills was over 100. With this technique, they were able to obtain over 600 000 euros.

The money was largely used to maintain the team's rally cars and to buy spare parts but some was also transferred to the manager's account.

Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mtv3.fi%2Fuutiset%2Frikos.shtml %2F2011%2F05%2F1327183%2Fsalon-seudun-sanomat-nokia-pomo-huijasi-yhtiolta-yli-600-000-rahaa-ralliin)
Totally incredible! Interesting to see whether the driver comes up with a statement. The driver, whose codriver this guy was, is a real figure in Finnish rallying, drove his first rally back in 1977, etc... They were a pair since 2002.

Some irony involving, because for many years they had "NOKIA" stickers on their car... :rolleyes:

DonJippo
11th May 2011, 09:51
Totally incredible! Interesting to see whether the driver comes up with a statement. The driver, whose codriver this guy was, is a real figure in Finnish rallying, drove his first rally back in 1977, etc... They were a pair since 2002.

Some irony involving, because for many years they had "NOKIA" stickers on their car... :rolleyes:

Mikkonen has said already in court he did knew nothing about from where Ervasto's money came so don't think he will give any further statements....

Juha_Koo
11th May 2011, 10:27
Mikkonen has said already in court he did knew nothing about from where Ervasto's money came so don't think he will give any further statements....

Well that's about it then.

Mise
11th May 2011, 15:07
According to Veikkaaja
Citroen will do C4 R4 and Peugeot will do 208 S2000 and R2.

stepunk
11th May 2011, 15:20
According to Veikkaaja

I read it also in Italy but... homologation of new S2000 is forbidden since the beginning of this year! Maybe with S2000 they meant RRC?

OldF
11th May 2011, 15:39
I think they meant S1600T although FIA is still calling it S2000.

HaCo
11th May 2011, 15:59
According to Veikkaaja

The Citroen R4 was already mentioned in an article in January: http://www.rallye-magazin.de/top/topnews/d16/d/2011/02/06/citroen-plant-r4/index.html?tx_skpagecomments_pi1%5BshowComments%5D =1&tx_skpagecomments_pi1%5BshowForm%5D=1&cHash=6dba84f106

alleskids
11th May 2011, 21:14
In Greece and Germany there will be 6 Citroen DS3 WRcars in the rally. Van Merksteijn sr will do these events, so all 4 privateers will compete along side both Sebastiens

tfp
11th May 2011, 23:23
In Greece and Germany there will be 6 Citroen DS3 WRcars in the rally. Van Merksteijn sr will do these events, so all 4 privateers will compete along side both Sebastiens

I look forward to acropolis:-) Not germany though, same stages and same winner every year.

noel157
12th May 2011, 08:58
Mikkelsen does a Skoda Gymkana:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/267241/skoda_recreate_ken_blocks_gymkhana.html

Leon
12th May 2011, 09:33
At wrc.com Sardenia review they refer a 5th manufacturer to join the sport. who might that be? any info? is it toyota

Bobcat
12th May 2011, 09:38
mikkelsen does a skoda gymkana:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/267241/skoda_recreate_ken_blocks_gymkhana.html
... :D :D :D

Bobcat
12th May 2011, 09:43
At wrc.com Sardenia review they refer a 5th manufacturer to join the sport. who might that be? any info? is it toyota Saab

Daniel
12th May 2011, 09:47
Saab

This is the closest thing Saab will get to a rally car with their current money situation.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2664/4078686210_8455b8b0d5.jpg

106 sport
12th May 2011, 11:31

And...Is going to be possible in Rally Spain (Catalunya) ???

Thanks.

Plan9
13th May 2011, 02:14
At wrc.com Sardenia review they refer a 5th manufacturer to join the sport. who might that be? any info? is it toyota

Likely: Toyota

Possible: Hyundai (KIA), Skoda

Unlikely: Mazda, Saab

I don't know if there are any other manufacturers who would be even interested in the WRC after these folks

I am evil Homer
13th May 2011, 15:17
Toyota surely with the next-gen Auris? They've had enough S2000 experience with satellite teams, they have a nice factory in Cologne to prep the cars from.

With VW announcement Skoda must be less likely...the Pug/Citroen days for PSA were an error, esp from Pug's side with the 307CC.

alleskids
13th May 2011, 15:39
I read on eWRC.cz that Henning Solberg is skipping Argentina, officially because he is out of budget, but the real reason is the reliability of the Fiesta WRC?

papar007
13th May 2011, 16:54
if no one knows exactly were will be the test of ford this weekend in Greece please send me an email
Thanks

Barreis
13th May 2011, 17:22
Look at this.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91361

tfp
13th May 2011, 17:40
Look at this.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91361

I've heard ducks fart before aswel.

RICARDO75
13th May 2011, 23:08
Likely: Toyota

Possible: Hyundai (KIA), Skoda

Unlikely: Mazda, Saab

I don't know if there are any other manufacturers who would be even interested in the WRC after these folks

Renault?

Barreis
14th May 2011, 01:45
Would be cool.

Mitch555
14th May 2011, 02:29
I read on eWRC.cz that Henning Solberg is skipping Argentina, officially because he is out of budget, but the real reason is the reliability of the Fiesta WRC?

He'd be better off in a limited program with citroen. At least he would have a strong car and not be prioritised over Wilson. Even Mini would be a better place to be.

The order of car preference for Ford would be something like
1. Hirvonen and Latvala
2. Wilson
3. Ostberg (or other stobart nominated driver)
4. Fast customers (novikov and pg)
5. Then Henning, but even then he might be prioritised lower than Block depending on marketing priorities)

In Argentina Henning would probably get least priority of technical support due to it being Villagra's home rally and Block's higher profile status in the Americas. In reality Mini and Citroen are better alternatives.

MJW
14th May 2011, 08:34
Henning would have better use of his resources, sponsors money if he concentrated on SWRC. Reading AW' s blog should make it clear to anyone where you stand as a customer in a works team.

rv65
14th May 2011, 08:35
Renault a while back started a feasibility study of whether or not to join the WRC.

rv65
14th May 2011, 10:08
Toyota did have that secret test a while back with a Yaris WRC test mule.

Maybe Tommi Makinen Racing is in talks with Hyundai/Kia. That could be one of the manufacturers. Pro-Rally's post seems to make sense if Hyundai/Kia is being mentioned. After all, Tommi Makinen Racing wants to join the WRC with a new manufacturer.

Plan9
15th May 2011, 08:10
You could also add GM and Suzuki to the list of potential masochists who could join the WRC

Camelopard
15th May 2011, 08:45
We have to hope that The People's Republic of China takes to rallying, like they have taken to golf and we could have Great Wall, Geely, Dongfeng and loads more competing! (said with tongue in cheek).

http://www.chinacarforums.com/chinese_car_manufacturers.html for a list.

wildsir
15th May 2011, 09:14
MSport seems to be pushing Tanak. How good is he on tarmac. That has been a problem for Ford. They should be looking at a Neuville before Citroen take him. Do you think Ford expect Latvala or Hirvonen leave at year end. If Loeb retires, and VW needs to top flight driver. I doubt Citroen will give Solberg full work drive.

Ford - Hirvonen / Tanak
Citroen - Ogier / Latvala
MINI - Sordo / Meeke
VW - Hanninen / Nasser?

15th May 2011, 13:04
Ogier and Latvala at Citroën would kill the competition! Would be awesome, win the rally or have a few really big crashes! I don't know why Ford would keep Hirvonen

N.O.T
15th May 2011, 13:36
too early for speculations.....2013 is far far away many things may change.

Barreis
15th May 2011, 15:59
Both Finns at ford are crap.

AndyRAC
15th May 2011, 16:13
Both Finns at ford are crap.

C'mon - they're not. They're just not Loeb, but who is?
However, next year Ford will most likely have the same two drivers - for the fifth year in a row. And what exactly have Ford won with them both? I know loyalty is a great and rare thing in Motorsport - but it's about time Ford got a driver in who can drive/ develop a car for tarmac.

Barreis
15th May 2011, 16:26
It's proved they can not win the championship over Seb.Loeb. But P.Solberg once won and Ogier is very fast. So they're good combination.

MJW
15th May 2011, 17:24
H- but it's about time Ford got a driver in who can drive/ develop a car for tarmac. Dani Sordo actually wanted to go to Ford as his 2nd choice, (first was to stay at Citroen) and as far as I am concerned Sordo is a very good driver all round but excellent on tarmac. Malcolm told him he could have had a Fiesta WRC, but needed to bring £xM to get the car.

AndyRAC
15th May 2011, 17:36
Dani Sordo actually wanted to go to Ford as his 2nd choice, (first was to stay at Citroen) and as far as I am concerned Sordo is a very good driver all round but excellent on tarmac. Malcolm told him he could have had a Fiesta WRC, but needed to bring £xM to get the car.

And that is why Ford/M-Sport don't win Championships consistently......Until, if ever, Ford decide to put proper $£$£$ in, then M-Sport will need pay drivers. And with VW coming in with a big budget, it's going to get harder for them.

Barreis
15th May 2011, 17:56
Kinda amateurs.

Hartusvuori
15th May 2011, 19:05
In the latest Vauhdin Maailma (Finnish motorsports magazine), Dani Sordo's name was linked to VW via Sainz. Nothing more though, just dropped.

N.O.T
15th May 2011, 19:14
Sordo would be a good choice plenty of experience and he could give tips from WRC events to the team regarding setups ects...but its still too earlly for anything.

alleskids
15th May 2011, 19:49
Does Sordo still have a connecton with Sainz? Carlos helped Dani starting his carreer, he even helped him with a good navigator (Marc Marti). But does that connection still exsist?

Leon
15th May 2011, 19:49
Are there any official assurances that Ford or Citroen will continue in the WRC next year or the year after? I remember at the beggining of this year some Ford officials saying that is absolutely vital to win a championship this year....

tfp
15th May 2011, 23:26
Are there any official assurances that Ford or Citroen will continue in the WRC next year or the year after? I remember at the beggining of this year some Ford officials saying that is absolutely vital to win a championship this year....

They were probably reffering to the manufacturers championship, which they have won before.

Plan9
16th May 2011, 02:08
I think Hanninen would be ideal for citroen. I don't think that Petter Solberg will get another manufacturer drive. I think Ford's next drivers could be either Tanak or Prokop as they both have 5 yr deals. Stobart will stay the same for the next while. I am also not convinced that Sordo has the necessary drive to win a championship.

Maui J.
16th May 2011, 03:02
We have to hope that The People's Republic of China takes to rallying, like they have taken to golf and we could have Great Wall, Geely, Dongfeng and loads more competing! (said with tongue in cheek).

http://www.chinacarforums.com/chinese_car_manufacturers.html for a list.

I don't think this is so 'tongue in cheek'. 40 years ago nobody would be seen driving Jap Crap, 20 years ago Koreans cars were laughed at... now look where they are today. Toyota is ranked at number 1 in sales, Hyundai-Kia @ 8, but also China for the 2nd year in a row is the world's biggest car manufacturer.

What better way for an 'unknown' and basically untrusted Chinese manufacturer to get attention and also gain some from of respect as a car maker.
Glossy magazine ads and billboards at football stadiums only go as far as name recognition.

Great Wall and Chery have already had 2 attempts at Dakar. So who's to say the WRC isn't also on their minds.

A Quote from a Chinese motoring journalist...
"It has been said by many, that if Chinese cars want to have some prestige in the West then they must first enter into motorsport, once they have shown their mark to the world, then they will sell."

R33
17th May 2011, 13:37
That's exactly the problem - there is no one to replace either of them. Maybe Latvala still has a bit of winning potential left but I'm afraid Hirvonen is done, he will never win the championship. He doesn't seem to have the edge he had in the 2005 season when he tried to prove something, in fact that was the only year he did

pettersolberg29
17th May 2011, 14:54
Trouble with all this rumour-starting is that there are very few good drivers not currently in the WRC. Tanak, Neuville and Mikkelsen have tremendous potential but aren't ready for a seat in a works team yet (except maybe VW when they come in), while drivers like Hanninen and Kopecky and guys like that are simply not consistently fast enough I don't think. The current top 7 of Loeb, Ogier, Mikko, JML, Petter, Sordo and Meeke are the top 7 drivers in the world at the moment, so it makes sense for them to be occupying the best seats.

RS
17th May 2011, 15:53
Trouble with all this rumour-starting is that there are very few good drivers not currently in the WRC. Tanak, Neuville and Mikkelsen have tremendous potential but aren't ready for a seat in a works team yet (except maybe VW when they come in), while drivers like Hanninen and Kopecky and guys like that are simply not consistently fast enough I don't think.

Don't agree on Hanninen. He comfortably beat Meeke last year in a Peugeot that still seems to be reasonably competitive. I would say he is a far better long term prospect than Hirvonen. Maybe Malcolm could drop Mikko and replace him with Juho if he wants to keep up his Finn-fetish.

Let's see how Neuville and Mikkelsen do in IRC this year, I expect them both to develop well this year and to challenge for the title, and both are very young still.

pettersolberg29
17th May 2011, 15:59
Don't agree on Hanninen. He comfortably beat Meeke last year in a Peugeot that still seems to be reasonably competitive. I would say he is a far better long term prospect than Hirvonen. Maybe Malcolm could drop Mikko and replace him with Juho if he wants to keep up his Finn-fetish.

He did beat Meeke, but the Peugeot is widely agreed to be a worse car, and every now and then Juho goes missing completely. Also, despite a vast improvement recently, his tarmac skills are nowhere near good enough to challenge at the top. Mikko may not be the best driver in the world, but when he pushes he can compete at the top - even on tarmac he has half a dozen podiums. I don't see anyone outside the 7 I mentioned being better than Mikko for a good 3 years, by which time the drivers aforementioned may have the experience and skills to reach the very top.

RS
17th May 2011, 16:24
He did beat Meeke, but the Peugeot is widely agreed to be a worse car, and every now and then Juho goes missing completely. Also, despite a vast improvement recently, his tarmac skills are nowhere near good enough to challenge at the top. Mikko may not be the best driver in the world, but when he pushes he can compete at the top - even on tarmac he has half a dozen podiums. I don't see anyone outside the 7 I mentioned being better than Mikko for a good 3 years, by which time the drivers aforementioned may have the experience and skills to reach the very top.

Well hopefully we will get a chance to see in the next few years if the rumoured manufacturers do come true...

I still think you are underestimating Juho's abilities though and over estimating the tarmac abilities of the WRC drivers (outside of the 2 Sebs)

Plan9
17th May 2011, 21:30
Mikko has very good consistency and a smooth driving style, both of which are very important in the current wrc environment. He will get a title but as we all know any change in driver standings will only really happen when Loeb leaves. Furthermore I don't think that Ford has provided either of their top drivers with cars that could mount an effective challenge. I imagine that Mikko's title will be similar to Button's in F1 where consistency was its own reward.

Barreis
17th May 2011, 21:43
How yes no. :D

Doon
17th May 2011, 21:49
Well hopefully we will get a chance to see in the next few years if the rumoured manufacturers do come true...

I still think you are underestimating Juho's abilities though and over estimating the tarmac abilities of the WRC drivers (outside of the 2 Sebs)

You say the 2 Seb's, but Ogier isn't exactly polished on tarmac. Sordo is the only one to come close to Loeb on tarmac in recent years, and Hirvonen wasn't far off Sordo on tarmac a few years ago even though Dani had a much better car. Duval was the only one to really push Loeb (Germany 2008? in the Xsara). I have a feeling that the Fiesta will be a much better tarmac car than the Focus, and Latvavla has been getting better and better on the black stuff, so fingers crossed!! Solberg ain't that bad either!

Why are there no 'specialist' surface drivers anymore? Is it because the top boys have tested and rallied on all surfaces so much that they are now masters of all trades (surfaces), and have to be to win the WRC?

Hartusvuori
17th May 2011, 22:33
Why are there no 'specialist' surface drivers anymore?

Last of that was lost together with the three-driver teams. It's on many fans wish list that the local heroes would get their chances on top machinery without too big (=impossible) budget.

tfp
17th May 2011, 22:40
You say the 2 Seb's, but Ogier isn't exactly polished on tarmac. Sordo is the only one to come close to Loeb on tarmac in recent years, and Hirvonen wasn't far off Sordo on tarmac a few years ago even though Dani had a much better car. Duval was the only one to really push Loeb (Germany 2008? in the Xsara). I have a feeling that the Fiesta will be a much better tarmac car than the Focus, and Latvavla has been getting better and better on the black stuff, so fingers crossed!! Solberg ain't that bad either!

Why are there no 'specialist' surface drivers anymore? Is it because the top boys have tested and rallied on all surfaces so much that they are now masters of all trades (surfaces), and have to be to win the WRC?

I have often thought of that question....
Antony?? :D
Citroen kinda did it last year when they swapped ogier and sordo and put them on the surfaces they were good at, one of the reasons they scored so many manu points last year.
I'm pretty sure Loeb will still be dominant on tarmac like he was last year, but not to the lengths he was.
Speaking of the xsara, who actually has beaten loeb on tarmac? I know markko martin has in a ford, and gilles pannizzi in catalunya...but who else?
Kinda why I think rally deutschland is a boring rally, we can predict the results before the event has even taken place.
I do like duval though(even though most people on here dont) I wonder why VW havent considered him?

AndyRAC
17th May 2011, 22:48
I have often thought of that question....
Antony?? :D
Citroen kinda did it last year when they swapped ogier and sordo and put them on the surfaces they were good at, one of the reasons they scored so many manu points last year.
I'm pretty sure Loeb will still be dominant on tarmac like he was last year, but not to the lengths he was.
Speaking of the xsara, who actually has beaten loeb on tarmac? I know markko martin has in a ford, and gilles pannizzi in catalunya...but who else?
Kinda why I think rally deutschland is a boring rally, we can predict the results before the event has even taken place.
I do like duval though(even though most people on here dont) I wonder why VW havent considered him?

Rallye Deutschland is boring because it's virtually the same every year - day 1 in the vineyards, day 2 in the Bosberg military area, and day 3 in the country roads. It never changes.......About time it had major changes - or moved it somewhere else.

tfp
17th May 2011, 22:53
Rallye Deutschland is boring because it's virtually the same every year - day 1 in the vineyards, day 2 in the Bosberg military area, and day 3 in the country roads. It never changes.......About time it had major changes - or moved it somewhere else.

:up: +1
1 Loeb
2 Latvala
3 P Solberg
4 Hirvonen or ogier

Unless Mini is in? Sordo might stir things up a bit.

mousti
18th May 2011, 08:00
For asphalt is Duval a bit better IMO especiailly for Deutschland remember RACB Xsara..

Plan9
18th May 2011, 08:34
I thought 3rd drivers were only useful to take places off rivals for example Harri Rovanpeara. They seemed to fill the role that M2 drivers do now.

tolis
18th May 2011, 08:51
JM Latvala interview in Greek: http://www.xwmatinos.gr/xwma/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1718

Motorsportfun
18th May 2011, 09:57

They must take the example of Sardinia. This year an entire 1st day unknow! And if we come back, there's a new leg ready near Cagliari! :D

N.O.T
18th May 2011, 10:36
JM Latvala interview in Greek: http://www.xwmatinos.gr/xwma/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1718

in short.... for the very few that do not speak Greek

he speaks about his early rally years. The testing was fine and despite the roughness of the stage they had no flat tyres which he found good. they did night testing and he says that there might be a big problem if there is dust hanging about during the night stage but he hopes that the actual special stage is not going to have such a problem...or at least he wishes it doesn't. Worst rally acropolis moment for him was in 2004 where he had all kinds of troubles with the fiesta s1600 and retired (he says that thankfully the fiesta wrc is much more reliable than the fiesta s1600 which was unreliable). Best moment for him was in 2009 where he was leading then retired and he then managed to finish 3rd. His idol is Kannkunen. Finland is his favourite and after that Australia and NZ. He doesn't like acropolis. He prefers the fiesta than the focus because its more fun to drive. he likes the power stage introduction and thinks it will bring more people to the sport. He is in favour of a starting position change but not mid season. he is very close to his co-driver and he is a very reliable one despite the mistake in sardinia...and finally he is going after the win in acropolis but a podium would suffice since its a hard event.

now you can all thank me and spread the word to the world how great i am for doing this....

mm1
18th May 2011, 11:41
Thank you N.O.T. You`re the greatest!

Barreis
18th May 2011, 12:06
:D

N.O.T
18th May 2011, 13:00

i know.

tfp
18th May 2011, 17:19

:rotflmao:

tfp
18th May 2011, 17:20
Just joking ;) Cheers for the translation!

Barreis
18th May 2011, 19:06
LOL

skarderud
18th May 2011, 19:33

petter solberg won in italy 2003 on wet if i remembered right. after a big crash on shakedown, rebuild the car and beat everyone on wet. those days... :)
i think every new brand/team in wrc is not to smart if they dont ask drivers like petter to be theire no.1, he has both speed, consistency and experience. then you can have a couple of young guys as no.2 and in a third car. why not mads østberg? or mikkelsen? the norwegian flag is realy beutiful isn't it! :)

alleskids
18th May 2011, 19:58
Tour de Corse 2003, not Sanremo Rally 2003 :)

tfp
18th May 2011, 21:29
petter solberg won in italy 2003 on wet if i remembered right. after a big crash on shakedown, rebuild the car and beat everyone on wet. those days... :)
i think every new brand/team in wrc is not to smart if they dont ask drivers like petter to be theire no.1, he has both speed, consistency and experience. then you can have a couple of young guys as no.2 and in a third car. why not mads østberg? or mikkelsen? the norwegian flag is realy beutiful isn't it! :)

Its ok, but not as beautiful as mariann birkedal lol :D

Motorsportfun
19th May 2011, 15:10

It was Sardinia 2004. "Yeeeeah, Phil!", remember? :D

bennizw
19th May 2011, 15:42
No, Corsica 2003! His only tarmac victory to date.

GigiGalliNo1
19th May 2011, 16:03
Atkinson back in Australia for Rally Aus this year... Could compete in any one of the three cars.... Let's hope MINI as no one else will have one here competing and better then misread hong Ford vs Frogs

Motorsportfun
19th May 2011, 16:54
No, Corsica 2003! His only tarmac victory to date.

You're right :)

Motorsportfun
19th May 2011, 16:55
There's a rumour that NORTH ONE SPORT is negotiating to add a WRC event in CANADA!

Any confirmation???

MJW
19th May 2011, 18:35
There's a rumour that NORTH ONE SPORT is negotiating to add a WRC event in CANADA!

Any confirmation??? That was being talked about in the heady days of DR's ISC reign in 2002. Ticks the North American continent box and another snow rally box. Great start to the year, a Sweden/Norway round 1, move to Canada for round 2, then Mexico round 3. Cars re-built on the road without returning to Europe team workshops, and logistics move to Canada and road trip down to Mex.

Zeakiwi
19th May 2011, 19:20
That was being talked about in the heady days of DR's ISC reign in 2002. Ticks the North American continent box and another snow rally box. Great start to the year, a Sweden/Norway round 1, move to Canada for round 2, then Mexico round 3. Cars re-built on the road without returning to Europe team workshops, and logistics move to Canada and road trip down to Mex.

Would WRC give Mexico a skip and do alternate years with Canada, if there was one rally in the Northern Americas or alternate Argentina and Mexico ?

Sulland
19th May 2011, 20:08
Atko in C4 in Australia this year.

Rallyper
19th May 2011, 20:25
Atko in C4 in Australia this year.

C4??? :confused:

sonnyc4
19th May 2011, 21:23
Maybe he's driving a Zero car ;)

tfp
19th May 2011, 23:40
Really good to hear Atko coming back, if only for one event....I wish subaru would return(albeit in a more reliable car:-)they could have him and solberg....Those were the days!

rv65
20th May 2011, 00:33

Any confirmation???

This is coming from a country that doesn't have any WRC coverage whatsoever.

Mitch555
20th May 2011, 01:16
If the rumour is true, why would they be considering Canada over USA?! Both use the open class rules, so most have change to FIA specs anyway. Not only would placing the rally in USA be a commercial success, but it would also be geographically sound. What I mean is, have it in the middle of North America, between Canada and Mexico so you can attract drivers from all of these countries, plus perhaps some other countries like Barbados (is it Barbados where they have the SX4 WRC now?). North One should really rethink on this...

Plan9
20th May 2011, 01:52
Atkinson back in Australia for Rally Aus this year... Could compete in any one of the three cars.... Let's hope MINI as no one else will have one here competing and better then misread hong Ford vs Frogs

How is Atko's driving now? As I recall he was quite sideways. If he has smoothed it out he could find himself with a longer term contract with MINI in the future.

Plan9
20th May 2011, 01:56
If the rumour is true, why would they be considering Canada over USA?! Both use the open class rules, so most have change to FIA specs anyway. Not only would placing the rally in USA be a commercial success, but it would also be geographically sound. What I mean is, have it in the middle of North America, between Canada and Mexico so you can attract drivers from all of these countries, plus perhaps some other countries like Barbados (is it Barbados where they have the SX4 WRC now?). North One should really rethink on this...

I agree. It astounds me that the USA does not have an event. It used to when group B was around. I think if Peugeot can do Group B in the 1980s then Citroen should not winge about not selling cars in the US (as it did about the Japanese event and look what happened there).
I would hope they would have a USA WRC round near the location and time of the X-Games. This would give it added exposure plus offer celebrity drivers like Pastrana, Mirra, Rod Millen even Shaun White (who is a rally fan) an opportunity to compete to further boost ratings.

rage82
20th May 2011, 10:34
Think that they have the SX 4 in Jamaica.

J.Lindstroem
20th May 2011, 10:49
lol i heard it was Honduras!! ;)

tfp
20th May 2011, 17:17
This is coming from a country that doesn't have any WRC coverage whatsoever.

Yeah, but have you ever watched a canadian rally on tv? Its actually quite funny, the N4 cars look like theyre in slo mo compared to wrc cars!

Motorsportfun
21st May 2011, 00:03
What I can think is that there's some plans to go there, because I don't see other ways to understand that...

...I'll try to know something more!

jonlint
21st May 2011, 10:51
lol i heard it was Honduras!! ;)

It is based in Barbados, but debuted in Jamaica

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Suzuki-SX4-WRC/130923560315287

http://www.barbadosadvocate.com/newsitem.asp?more=sports&NewsID=14344

Mitch555
22nd May 2011, 02:09
Yeah, but have you ever watched a canadian rally on tv? Its actually quite funny, the N4 cars look like theyre in slo mo compared to wrc cars!

This is true, because their championship does not have as much depth as it used to. Though they do have at least 3 top drivers in L'Estage, Richard and Comrie-Picard, and a few young guys on the rise such as "crazy Leo Urlichich". Also they appear slow as the roads are really technical over there, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyIxoCzOG08 this is nuts!

WRC in the USA is a must within the next 5 years, otherwise the moment will be lost. Ken Block might not still be around by then. The entrant list of Block, Patrana, Millen, Mirra, L'Estage, Richard, Higgins, Foust, Pinker, Iorio, Comrie-Picard, Verdier, Bacon and even Kenny Bartram and Brian Deegan would be a ripper!

Walach
22nd May 2011, 09:22
That stage is realy beautiful, thanks for the link!

Hartusvuori
23rd May 2011, 06:43
Hannu Mikkola and Walter Röhrl received their honors for a nomition to Rally Hall of Fame in car museum Mobilia, Kangasala, Finland. Picture from last Saturday, May 21st.

In an interview for Iltalehti (http://www.iltalehti.fi/ralli/2011052113759345_ri.shtml?ref=kn), Röhrl answered the question that have troubled Finnish rally fans for a long time. Why did he never do 1000 Lakes? "I hate jumps. I should've been there three month prior to the rally to practise the jumps, but the local drivers would've known them better anyway. If there is no chance to succeed, it's better to stay home", two-time World Champion said.

Walter, you are still welcomed!

http://static.iltalehti.fi/ralli/RhrlMikkola2105VVV_ri.jpg

rp
23rd May 2011, 07:40
It seems that there was also the Group A 200 Quattro and the legendary Group B Sport Quattro S1..!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150192613051947&set=a.297762611946.147460.246582641946&type=1&theater

R33
23rd May 2011, 10:49
Really good to hear Atko coming back, if only for one event....I wish subaru would return(albeit in a more reliable car:-)they could have him and solberg....Those were the days!

Even if Subaru were coming back, I seriously doubt Petter or Chris would join them again. Or even that they would be invited

tfp
23rd May 2011, 19:33
Even if Subaru were coming back, I seriously doubt Petter or Chris would join them again. Or even that they would be invited

Not that they would come back anyway, seeing as though mini have rights to prodrive now :D
Why wouldn't they be invited? I know Petter nicked their team boss :p but why else?

tfp
23rd May 2011, 19:34
It seems that there was also the Group A 200 Quattro and the legendary Group B Sport Quattro S1..!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150192613051947&set=a.297762611946.147460.246582641946&type=1&theater

I want that S1:-)

Bobcat
24th May 2011, 02:03
Fiat in WRC... http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/23/fiat-abarth-to-join-world-rally-championship-by-2014/

It wasn't that long ago that things didn't look so good for the World Rally Championship. Automakers were dropping out of the series like so many flies, while other manufacturers were heading to the rival Intercontinental Rally Challenge. But things have turned around for the WRC. :D

sollitt
24th May 2011, 04:30
This has always the been the way with WRC - manufacturers come & manufacturers go. Numbers fluctuate. Nothing new there.

mousti
24th May 2011, 08:30
With saying on wet u say it all. He won mostly because of the Pirelli tires that were superior on wet surfaces. On dry surface he wouldn't have won.

AndyRAC
24th May 2011, 09:38
With saying on wet u say it all. He won mostly because of the Pirelli tires that were superior on wet surfaces. On dry surface he wouldn't have won.

And Pirelli/ Subaru had previous in Corsica - 1997/98. McRae won both in mixed conditions - yet two weeks earlier in Catalunya - had been off the pace, espcially in 1998.

N.O.T
24th May 2011, 09:44
Fiat in WRC... http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/23/fiat-abarth-to-join-world-rally-championship-by-2014/

It wasn't that long ago that things didn't look so good for the World Rally Championship. Automakers were dropping out of the series like so many flies, while other manufacturers were heading to the rival Intercontinental Rally Challenge. But things have turned around for the WRC. :D

rumours for fiat circulate for way too long.....same as hyundai ects.....i think for such unreliable companies we shouid first see something and believe it.

AndyRAC
24th May 2011, 09:53
rumours for fiat circulate for way too long.....same as hyundai ects.....i think for such unreliable companies we shouid first see something and believe it.

I'll believe it when they're on the start line of their first WRC stage. Until then, no chance!!

Maui J.
24th May 2011, 11:32
This has always the been the way with WRC - manufacturers come & manufacturers go. Numbers fluctuate. Nothing new there.

Congratulations Bruce.
http://www.nzracer.com/rally-wairarapa-celebrates-achievement.html

Motorsportfun
24th May 2011, 13:29
If Abarth will join the WRC in 2013-2014, I'll undress myself in front of the Coliseum! :D :D

Daniel
24th May 2011, 16:05
If Abarth will join the WRC in 2013-2014, I'll undress myself in front of the Coliseum! :D :D

If Abarth enter in 2013/2014 I'll let motorsportforum take advantage of me in front of the colluseum :p

Mark
24th May 2011, 17:57
If Abarth enter in 2013/2014 I'll let motorsportforum take advantage of me in front of the colluseum :p

Erm, nah you're ok :p

Daniel
24th May 2011, 18:18
Oops :p motorsportfun :p

Motorsportfun
24th May 2011, 18:37

No way! :D

GigiGalliNo1
25th May 2011, 05:57
WRC in the USA is a must within the next 5 years, otherwise the moment will be lost. Ken Block might not still be around by then. The entrant list of Block, Patrana, Millen, Mirra, L'Estage, Richard, Higgins, Foust, Pinker, Iorio, Comrie-Picard, Verdier, Bacon and even Kenny Bartram and Brian Deegan would be a ripper!

This might sound exciting but I don't see them competing in the top 5 specially with Loeb, Ogier, Latvala, Hirvonen, Solberg. Possibly beating Wilson of course but they will have their own group down the leader board...

MJW
25th May 2011, 10:58

And front page news story in Motorsport News published in UK wednesday 25th May says NISSAN to consider WRC as part of an initiative to re-enter motorsport at a high level. This is likely to be run in conjunction with RedBullRacing (RBR F1 team in Milton Keynes).It is admitted that a touring car project is also under consideration. They could enter in 2012 but will be a NISSAN funded but sub contracted out to a specialist motorsport company (RBR) like Mini Prodrive rather than the new VW works effort. Something tied up with RBR's deal with Infineon.

wildsir
25th May 2011, 11:32
Renault in disguise...

R33
25th May 2011, 11:52
Renault in disguise...

Even if! I think that would be absolutely fantastic!
However, unfortunately, I seriously doubt it..

25th May 2011, 12:44
Bring back Datsun!!

Datsun World Rally Team :D

AndyRAC
25th May 2011, 13:12
Possibly good news, the more the merrier. With the caveat - they do it properly!! Remember the Nissan GTi-R project??

Motorsportfun
25th May 2011, 17:05
Finally, Nokia has been announced!

http://www.wrc.com/sponsors/nokia/

Mirek
25th May 2011, 17:07
One ex-factory car used to be in Czech lands ten years a go...

http://www.brazdil.com/images/reference/pulsar2.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/Frezzy_fr/Rally%2520Cards/Nissan/CPPulsarTriner2000.jpg

rv65
25th May 2011, 22:16
And front page news story in Motorsport News published in UK wednesday 25th May says NISSAN to consider WRC as part of an initiative to re-enter motorsport at a high level. This is likely to be run in conjunction with RedBullRacing (RBR F1 team in Milton Keynes).It is admitted that a touring car project is also under consideration. They could enter in 2012 but will be a NISSAN funded but sub contracted out to a specialist motorsport company (RBR) like Mini Prodrive rather than the new VW works effort. Something tied up with RBR's deal with Infineon.

Nissan wants to join the DTM, as Super GT will eventually merge their regulations with them in a few years.

AndyRAC
25th May 2011, 23:29
Nissan wants to join the DTM, as Super GT will eventually merge their regulations with them in a few years.

I must admit when reading the article I immediately thought of the DTM, rather than WRC......

Plan9
26th May 2011, 02:54

Any word on the model of car that they could potentially use?

Gard
26th May 2011, 08:30
Bring back Datsun!!

Datsun World Rally Team :D

Datsun in norwegian is funny. It would be like, Fellapart World Rally Team :-)

Gard
26th May 2011, 08:35

Oh, when we are at it:
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/09/why-honda-didnt-call-fit-jazz-by-its.html

26th May 2011, 09:20

Haha, yeah we've got one here at home. Nothing special, but have some fun in it.

Coach 2
26th May 2011, 22:32
The most funny was Datsun Stanza. In norwegian it would be fellapart and stopped.

26th May 2011, 23:40
The most funny was Datsun Stanza. In norwegian it would be fellapart and stopped.

That's exactly what we've got, would challenge Loeb on a good day...

A.F.F.
27th May 2011, 04:33
Nissan.... they have a habit to quit the program if not after couple of rallies, then before it gets started :mark:

Daniel
27th May 2011, 05:02
Nissan.... they have a habit to quit the program if not after couple of rallies, then before it gets started :mark:

Quitting is a good strategy though :up: Then like Hyundai you can take out ads to say "We'll be back!" :)

Sulland
27th May 2011, 08:44
So Renault will do R1-N4 and Nissan WRC. Does that make sense ?

N.O.T
27th May 2011, 09:18
sense is optional when we circulate rumours.....

DonJippo
27th May 2011, 14:09
So Renault will do R1-N4 and Nissan WRC. Does that make sense ?

Don't think Nissan will enter WRC because they don't want to be ridiculed by Toyota.

Zeakiwi
30th May 2011, 01:46
Don't think Nissan will enter WRC because they don't want to be ridiculed by Toyota.

Maybe if Nissan provided an adequate startup budget for a WRC program to a Brit operation, they would not be ridiculed.
e.g RML and the Cruze. http://www.rmlmallock.co.uk/web/RML-Motorsport/FIA-WTCC

GigiGalliNo1
30th May 2011, 04:24
sense is optional when we circulate rumours.....

+1

Who ever said Nissan to enter WRC its like saying.... there is no global warming.

30th May 2011, 11:44
+1

Who ever said Nissan to enter WRC its like saying.... there is no global warming.
There's plenty of people saying that but!

Zeakiwi
30th May 2011, 12:11
Nissan do have a current rally winning car. The GTR in Targa rallies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1mhnWOttMU (Targa Tas 11 -complete with champagne shower, sounds group beeish)

The Dodson's motorsport website has what non-original parts have been included in the the GTR.

wildsir
30th May 2011, 12:43
Nasser could do rally finland in a VW run Skoda S2000. According to GP Week..

GigiGalliNo1
30th May 2011, 12:45
Skyline GTR vs Fiesta ST.... yup - Sounds about right! hah

Mirek
30th May 2011, 12:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1mhnWOttMU (Targa Tas 11 -complete with champagne shower, sounds group beeish)

The Dodson's motorsport website has what non-original parts have been included in the the GTR.

Sorry but are You serious or just joking?

Nasser could do rally finland in a VW run Skoda S2000. According to GP Week..

VW Motorsport run Fabia since NORF is sure, maybe two.

Hartusvuori
30th May 2011, 13:30
Jari-Matti Latvala will drive Escort MkII as a course car in upcoming FRC Lapua rally June 11th. He'll be co-driven by Asko Sairanen.

OldF
30th May 2011, 17:57
VW Motorsport run Fabia since NORF is sure, maybe two.

This is still with the NA engine? I understood from GP Week it’s primarily for training of the technicians and engineers.

Mirek
30th May 2011, 18:23
We'll see. 1.6T will be presented during summer but where for the first time...

pucky54
30th May 2011, 19:11
We will see it in the WTCC Seat soon

Plan9
30th May 2011, 21:25
Remind me but have the tyre rules changed this year and if so how? How often are drivers allowed to change their tyres?? Any help would be appreciated.

Barreis
30th May 2011, 21:45
Jari-Matti Latvala will drive Escort MkII as a course car in upcoming FRC Lapua rally June 11th. He'll be co-driven by Asko Sairanen.

He can stay there.

tfp
30th May 2011, 22:55
He can stay there.

:crazy:

cali
31st May 2011, 05:40
Nevermind him, he is biased

mousti
31st May 2011, 08:45
We'll see. 1.6T will be presented during summer but where for the first time...
S1.6t then what u mean? So they've plans to make one? Would be good Ford and Citroën are not interested and only Mini wouldn't be good.

mousti
31st May 2011, 08:47
And Pirelli/ Subaru had previous in Corsica - 1997/98. McRae won both in mixed conditions - yet two weeks earlier in Catalunya - had been off the pace, espcially in 1998.
McRae is not Solberg.. And didn't say Pirelli was superior always on wet, on that year it was for sure.

Mirek
31st May 2011, 09:02
S1.6t then what u mean? So they've plans to make one? Would be good Ford and Citroën are not interested and only Mini wouldn't be good.

S2000 1.6T, yes. For WRC kit homologation Skoda would have to register to WRC and I doubt they are allowed to do so. Anyway this car has been tested for more than half a year already and I believe it's used as a testbed for Polo WRC.

Maui J.
31st May 2011, 10:52

I agree it is a rocket ship on tarmac. It would be fantastic to see it and other GT cars go head to head with WRC cars on tarmac rounds of the WRC. On gravel it would suck though.

This is also interesting Nissan news. A Nissan powered Dacia taking on Pikes Peak in a few weeks.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/motoring/5079968/The-634kW-SUV-No-Limit-rally-car

What ever happened to the Dacia S2000 anyway? Wasn't there some tests done a few years ago?

koko0703
31st May 2011, 12:56
I highly doubt Nissan will enter WRC any time soon for couple of reasons.....

1. Nissan has already started their comeback to a major motorsports scene via their Infiniti branding on the RedBull Racing in Formula One, and I assume the easiest way for them to get a bigger exposure is to re-badge the RedBull's Renault engine as Infiniti.
2. Nissan is developing GT-R GT3 cars for the customer racing scene, espcially for the European customers.
3. To sell their brandnew GT-R GT3, they need to promote their performance in the circuit, not on rally stages, and the best way to promote their performance is to go GT racing such as FIA GT1, DTM, Super GT, etc.

AndyRAC
31st May 2011, 14:30
I highly doubt Nissan will enter WRC any time soon for couple of reasons.....

1. Nissan has already started their comeback to a major motorsports scene via their Infiniti branding on the RedBull Racing in Formula One, and I assume the easiest way for them to get a bigger exposure is to re-badge the RedBull's Renault engine as Infiniti.
2. Nissan is developing GT-R GT3 cars for the customer racing scene, espcially for the European customers.
3. To sell their brandnew GT-R GT3, they need to promote their performance in the circuit, not on rally stages, and the best way to promote their performance is to go GT racing such as FIA GT1, DTM, Super GT, etc.

Can't really argue with any of that.

A.F.F.
31st May 2011, 16:38
Plus couple of their latest appearances in WRC have been a farce :mark:

Hartusvuori
1st June 2011, 06:32
Maybe Hirvonen was only practising a joker lap at SS7 in Argentina. Jokes aside, he'll make his rallycross debut two weeks prior to Rally Finland at Finnish Rallycross Championship event Sambacross in Kauhajoki, July 15th-16th. He'll drive Div1/Super Cars -class Ford Fiesta. Hirvonen's drives invited and supported by the event organiser.

Barreis
1st June 2011, 11:15
He can stay there.

Hartusvuori
1st June 2011, 11:54
He can stay there.

Kind of saw that coming.

bluuford
1st June 2011, 17:50
Kind of saw that coming.

Well some dictionaries contain only limited amount of expressions and sooner or later you have to repeat some sentences... This reminds me one nice Japanese guy who studied English language by using dictionary..
accidentally the dictionary was faulty and all the words in English and Japanese were shifted by one word....

Motorsportfun
2nd June 2011, 12:56
BREAKING NEWS

Probably a 14-rallies calendar will be revealed tomorrow at World Motor Sport Council, with Monte Carlo and Italy!

N.O.T
2nd June 2011, 14:12
too many...

rallyfiend
2nd June 2011, 14:38
Hmm. Where will this leave IRC I wonder.

If they run a combined MC then surely IRC will get lost amongst the hype of WRC and the 'big boys'.

If it runs without IRC, it will be a big blow to the future of that series. They lose the 'jewel in the crown' and the one thing they really had over the WRC.

Motorsportfun
2nd June 2011, 14:59
too many...

Simon Long told the press that there was a margin of maximum 14 events for the future... so, nothing strange. ;)

Motorsportfun
2nd June 2011, 15:01
Hmm. Where will this leave IRC I wonder.

If they run a combined MC then surely IRC will get lost amongst the hype of WRC and the 'big boys'.

If it runs without IRC, it will be a big blow to the future of that series. They lose the 'jewel in the crown' and the one thing they really had over the WRC.

Michele Mouton worked hard and looks like that Monte Carlo will leave IRC in 2012 or 2013.

GigiGalliNo1
2nd June 2011, 16:57
Monte Carlo is over rated. So what that it might not be in the IRC!

HaCo
2nd June 2011, 17:40
IRC does not need MC, but it's a very, very nice addition to the series!

Barreis
2nd June 2011, 19:29
Bring back MC and Safari. :)

Motorsportfun
2nd June 2011, 19:49
Bring back MC and Safari. :)

Ok, if you stop praying them in every topic. :D

Barreis
2nd June 2011, 21:17
Also SanRemo.

Motorsportfun
2nd June 2011, 21:28
Also SanRemo.

Also Ivory Coast? :D

Barreis
2nd June 2011, 22:01
Indonesia was better for me (when Liatti was behind the wheel of impreza).

AndyRAC
2nd June 2011, 23:18
Monte Carlo is over rated. So what that it might not be in the IRC!

Ah, but it's Rallying's one iconic event. It has to be in the WRC - as long as they can run it as a 'proper' Monte!!

J4MIE
3rd June 2011, 06:40
I guess Monte Carlo will be able to make use of remote services to extend the route slightly, can they have multiple remote services in one event? As I think the wrc still has to have a centralised base... I.e. they couldn't do Valence > MC as IRC has done?

Looking forward to seeing the calendar this afternoon though, hoping for NZ in September :up:

whereschris
3rd June 2011, 07:38
I dont think that this has been mentioned elsewhere but on iRally there is a report that Rally GB may be moved back to Harrogate and given a mid September slot. I can't find any information elsewhere. Does anyone have any idea?

J4MIE
3rd June 2011, 08:17
There was a press release a while ago about the IRC event in Scotland which suggested that it could host the WRC in years to come. The organisers are the same, but I don't know how likely this would be (I can always hope...... ;) ). Certainly the Scottish Government is very much in favour of high profile events.

Scotland poised for WRC event - Scotcars (http://www.scotcars.co.uk/motorsport/2010/september/scotland-poised-for-wrc-event)

AndyRAC
3rd June 2011, 10:09
It was in MotorsportNews who reported next year’s RallyGB could move to mid September – which is a mistake. This was tried in 2004/5 and wasn’t a success. I wish they’d leave it to end of Nov/early Dec as the final round – they keep moving it around. We’ve had mid September, early December, end of October, which is no way to try and grow an event.
However, there was nothing mentioned about Harrogate. As for Scotland – it’s possible – I can’t see the IRC event continuing after this year – it simply hasn’t been supported by the British rallying community, unlike other European IRC rounds.

GigiGalliNo1
3rd June 2011, 10:19
Monte Carlo should be in a championship - not fussed which one!

Indonesia would be nice but same as Safari in Kenya - security issues might be the problem.

J4MIE
3rd June 2011, 13:37
Don't see why RallyGB had a problem in September? It was good weather, dry and dusty - really enjoyable.

Motorsportfun
3rd June 2011, 13:40
NEWS FROM BARCELONA

ITALY is back: Rally Emotion - WRC / CLAMOROSO: l (http://www.rallyemotion.it/news/874-wrc--clamoroso-litalia-e-nel-mondiale-2012) organizers confirmed us earlier today

Motorsportfun
3rd June 2011, 14:20
Abu Dhabi is OUT, Monte Carlo is IN!

R33
3rd June 2011, 14:27
Abu Dhabi is OUT, Monte Carlo is IN!

Wow, is that true? Any proof links? Thanks in advance!

Motorsportfun
3rd June 2011, 14:30
Wow, is that true? Any proof links? Thanks in advance!

Direct sources, phone calls... :)

R33
3rd June 2011, 14:31
I guess I will have to wait till the news is published somewhere then=)

rallyfiend
3rd June 2011, 15:16
I guess I will have to wait till the news is published somewhere then=)

FIA.com

WORLD RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP

The dates and venues for the 2012 FIA World Rally Championship are confirmed as follows, with the inclusion of Rallye Monte Carlo and Italy on the calendar.

22/01 MCO Monte Carlo
12/02 SWE Sweden
11/03 MEX Mexico
01/04 PRT Portugal
29/04 ARG Argentina
27/05 GRC Greece * (or 03/06)
24/06 NZL New Zealand
05/08 FIN Finland
26/08 DEU Germany
16/09 GBR Great Britain
07/10 FRA France
04/11 ESP Spain
October ITA Italy *
* Dates subject to confirmation

Note: The date given is the Sunday of the rally weekend. Itineraries are however subject to final confirmation by event organisers.

Abu Dhabi, previously published on the calendar subject to approval of the Event Business Plan, has been removed from the 2012 calendar. The organiser is invited to submit a proposal to run a candidate event for possible future inclusion in the series.

From 1 January 2012 the shakedown will be used as a qualifying stage for all Priority 1 and 2 drivers to determine the start order for each individual gravel rally. Taking into account the shakedown times, P1 and P2 crews - in order of fastest to slowest - will be permitted to select their start positions. Subsequent days, all Priority 1 and 2 crews will restart in reverse order. The start position of all remaining crews will be determined according to the current regulations.

It is clarified that all priority and non-priority drivers competing with Group R4 cars must use the specified tyres produced by the FIA nominated tyre companies.

From 1 January 2012, save dispensation, both crew members must have a valid driving license throughout an event.

RALLYING

A number of amendments have been made to the 2012 and 2013 Technical and Homologation regulations in order to simplify designs, reduce costs and increase reliability and safety.

From 2012, a system of promotion and relegation will be adopted to ensure the best events are included in the FIA European Rally Championship (ERC). Taking into account points awarded by the Observer, as well as the number of starters and foreign competitors, current ERC events with the lowest points total will be relegated to Coefficient 10 Rally Cups, while the rallies with the highest points in that Cup will be promoted to the ERC.

In order to assist in planning and organisation, the Janner Rally is confirmed in the 2012 ERC to take place between 5-7 January 2012.

Motorsportfun
3rd June 2011, 15:21
Confirmed what I told :D

R33
3rd June 2011, 15:31
Quick work! =))

RS
3rd June 2011, 15:32
Some good decisions today. Hopefully Monte will be as entertaining as it has been for the last few years. It's funny that after dumping MC the FIA eventually seemed willing to do whatever necessary to get it back.

Abu Dhabi not being the season closer is also good news, and the starting order system is a step in the right direction too.

R33
3rd June 2011, 15:37
Some good decisions today. Hopefully Monte will be as entertaining as it has been for the last few years. It's funny that after dumping MC the FIA eventually seemed willing to do whatever necessary to get it back.

Abu Dhabi not being the season closer is also good news, and the starting order system is a step in the right direction too.

Shakedown will start making sense at last!

focus206
3rd June 2011, 15:51
Hello everyone, I'm new in this forum.
Happy to see Monte is back in 2012! :)

Josti
3rd June 2011, 15:58
Great calendar, Monte back, but GB not as a season final... I don't know. It can't ever be perfect right...

Salist
3rd June 2011, 19:08
Where will the Italian Rally in 2012?
San Remo, Sardegna or another place?

N.O.T
3rd June 2011, 19:29
i like the decision about the shakedown....but how many passes will be allowed ??

the calendar is very nice but a bit expensive if you are a manufacturer with full involvment and that might discourage new entries.

Tomi
3rd June 2011, 19:47
finally the shakedown gets some real meaning (not only a place for media clowns to take pics) its also good that the top guys can drive without risk and still get good starting positions.

Motorsportfun
3rd June 2011, 19:51
Where will the Italian Rally in 2012?
San Remo, Sardegna or another place?

Sardegna. Probably will be arranged a roadshow in the mainland...

Barreis
3rd June 2011, 20:23
MC is back. :)

Josti
3rd June 2011, 20:48
i like the decision about the shakedown....but how many passes will be allowed ??

the calendar is very nice but a bit expensive if you are a manufacturer with full involvment and that might discourage new entries.

I would suggest manufacturers picking events they want to drive, like in the old days. But they should at least drive 10, 11 rally's.

Motorsportfun
3rd June 2011, 20:53
Interesting to see "just" 3 clashes between WRC and F1 in 2012... :)

Allyc85
3rd June 2011, 21:01
which is great considering there will be 21 F1 races next year!

Its great to see Monte back in the WRC and the shakedown being used to work out the starting order should be good, though there will be excuses for road position on that I expect.

bluuford
3rd June 2011, 21:26

Well, if you look at the oversea schedule then all those rallies are so much apart to each other that they can ship their equipment there. The have to sets of tools and one of the set has been traveling all the time Like it has been before.

DonJippo
3rd June 2011, 22:19

Three, first two to warm-up and third one counts.

N.O.T
3rd June 2011, 23:33
so something like superpole format....hmmm nice.

wwbroe
4th June 2011, 07:53
According to rallyradio in Oucraine' Yalta Rally, next year Monte Carlo will run only in WRC not in IRC like it was said yesterday. So no more Monte Carlo for IRC.

GigiGalliNo1
4th June 2011, 09:34
World Rally Championship - News - Monte Carlo returns to the WRC calendar (http://wrc.com/news/monte-carlo-returns-to-the-wrc-calendar/?fid=14820)

GTA
4th June 2011, 12:25
According to the Belgian Turbo website is Rene Georges Rallysport (RGRS) Ended.. He leaves many people with unpaid Invoices and Salary's..!! He is supposed to continue with another name but remain on same location.. Unbelieveble.!! No Respect at all..

koko0703
5th June 2011, 12:07
I think it is a very good looking calender. I think if the calender were to expand, Monte Carlo is very logical choice (another choice would be Safari but probably not feasible at this time). I'm sure the manufacturers like to be called the Monte Carlo Rally Winner than the Abu Dhabi Rally Winner.

Barreis
5th June 2011, 12:31
+1

alleskids
5th June 2011, 20:50
Michèle Mouton comments on the return of Rallye Monte Carlo to the WRC:
" This return appeared obviously among our priorities, we planchions on the subject long ago, so I am very happy to see these discussions lead. The WRC was in need of Monte Carlo and vice versa ... (is not true, MC could live very well without the WRC) The ongoing reform will provide greater flexibility to the organizers. Thus, the number of service parks and length of steps, for example, will no longer be limited as was the case. (so RMC wil get every freedom, just as they had in IRC) Each test will find features that have shaped its history. "

Barreis
5th June 2011, 21:11
Now it would be nice to see some more manufacturers and three drivers/team (two quickest score points).

tolis
5th June 2011, 21:25
Now it would be nice to see some more manufacturers and three drivers/team (two quickest score points).
...and live coverage as in IRC :D

Barreis
5th June 2011, 22:13
Now we have live power stage. But sport is not popular as cyclism that can be few hours per day on tv. It'll be better, we hope. Where's tollis11? :D

Tomi
5th June 2011, 22:56
" This return appeared obviously among our priorities, we planchions on the subject long ago, so I am very happy to see these discussions lead. The WRC was in need of Monte Carlo and vice versa ... (is not true, MC could live very well without the WRC) The ongoing reform will provide greater flexibility to the organizers. Thus, the number of service parks and length of steps, for example, will no longer be limited as was the case. (so RMC wil get every freedom, just as they had in IRC) Each test will find features that have shaped its history. "

It will be interesting to see how they will arrange the safety arrangements and enough of marchals to meet the FIA standards for WRC events, they never managed to do that even with shorter route.

Comal
6th June 2011, 02:52
Hopefully they will also make organisers use a proper stage for shakedown similar to what rally will be run on, not part of a super special that has no similarities to what rally will be run on!!

nzabevAMSM
6th June 2011, 07:58
...and live coverage as in IRC :D

+1

mousti
6th June 2011, 08:02
Blah Blah Mouton saying MC needed WRC that's bullcrap! She probably begged on her knees to get MC back in the WRC.

If they have every freedom they organise it in the week again??

And a full live coverage of MC is also history then :)

bowler
6th June 2011, 08:50
if it allows freedom for organisers to do things diffeently it will be a good thing. The deterioartion in WRC came when everyone had to be the same.
Allowing events to develop their own character will be a good thing.