PDA

View Full Version : Irritating ads

Daniel
30th January 2007, 09:23
Now this is going to surprise you but I dislike the latest Mac advert campaign :mark:

Clicky!
http://www.apple.com/uk/getamac/ads/http://www.apple.com/uk/

I posted a similar ad which had been made about the Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 but that was not actually an official ad by any of the above three but was something that someone made up.

Why can't Apple just make an ad that explains the virtues of their product rather than making the other product looking boring and untrendy? I mean tbh there's nothing wrong with Mac's and I accept that they're better at some things. So why the smear campaign rather than saying "I'm good at this, if you want this buy me" :confused:

If I was Mr Jobs I'd tell everyone in the marketing department to go forth and multiply for being hopeless.

millencolin
30th January 2007, 12:14
http://www.apple.com/au/getamac/

i saw these ones today... they have got a good point (and a very good actor in justin long doing the advertisements)

but im not going to be switching to mac any time soon

Mark
30th January 2007, 12:17
Well I like it, if only because I like Mitchell and Webb / Peep Show.

But you are right, it shows nothing of the product itself, but then that's what marketing seems to be all about these days.

Daniel
30th January 2007, 13:53
http://www.apple.com/au/getamac/

i saw these ones today... they have got a good point (and a very good actor in justin long doing the advertisements)

but im not going to be switching to mac any time soon
What point do they have? I'm sure there are just as many uptight people who like pie charts who use Mac's as well. All they do is try to create the impression that if you buy a Mac you won't be such a boring fool. Which is totally misleading.

LotusElise
30th January 2007, 15:41
I know the ad you're talking about. I can't really remember what happens in it or what it's for though, which shows what a GREAT ad it was.

tinchote
30th January 2007, 22:17
Guess what. Can't see the ad because I don't have the latest version of QuickTime. Which will be quickly installing itself as a startup program just to "make my life easier", thank you very much :s

Whatever. I was not going to get a Mac anyway :D As Daniel said, I won't buy a product because they either say that it is cool to use it, or because it is not cool not to use. Whichever way, looks silly to me. So, in summary, Mac people are silly ;) :D

Bezza
30th January 2007, 23:00
Agree with you there Danny boy, it is a poor advert.

The one I hate the most at the moment is that bloody phone one - is it T-mobile? With the soppy music and that guy walking down the street and things being "flexible" Love to do a spoof of that where he just gets hit by a bus or something.

Valve Bounce
30th January 2007, 23:02
OK! can I mention the ad I love? Like the Citroen ads where the car turns into an ice skater? Or the one that the C4 does that dance?

Ian McC
30th January 2007, 23:04
Err, who the **** is Barry Scott anyway? :confused:

Mark
31st January 2007, 07:57
Err, who the **** is Barry Scott anyway? :confused:

A fictional character.

Daniel
31st January 2007, 09:50
Guess what. Can't see the ad because I don't have the latest version of QuickTime. Which will be quickly installing itself as a startup program just to "make my life easier", thank you very much :s

Whatever. I was not going to get a Mac anyway :D As Daniel said, I won't buy a product because they either say that it is cool to use it, or because it is not cool not to use. Whichever way, looks silly to me. So, in summary, Mac people are silly ;) :D

Exactly. Whenever Microsoft installs something that's not going to be needed whenever the PC is on they give you the option of running it from startup or not running it from startup. They're not so pathetic as to force it to run everytime the PC starts. I'd be very surprised if the next installment of iTunes + Quicktime for PC doesn't come with inbuilt insults bundled like "You'd look a lot more attractive if you were running OSX 10.4" "I'd take you to bed but you've just been using a PC and they have viruses so no thanks please"

:p

BDunnell
31st January 2007, 09:53
All I could remember about that Mac advert were that Mitchell and Webb are in it. When my flatmate mentioned the ad last night, I couldn't remember which company it was an ad for. However, as a Mac user at work (and soon, maybe, at home), I'm not going to complain about them.

Daniel
31st January 2007, 09:58
All I could remember about that Mac advert were that Mitchell and Webb are in it. When my flatmate mentioned the ad last night, I couldn't remember which company it was an ad for. However, as a Mac user at work (and soon, maybe, at home), I'm not going to complain about them.
Can I ask just out of curiosity what your job is? :)

BDunnell
31st January 2007, 10:09
Journalist and photographer.

Daniel
31st January 2007, 10:12
A Mac is a good thing for you then :) I don't dislike Mac's as such but their FUD and Chewbacca defence type marketing gets on my nerves somewhat. Just like PC's aren't for everyone Mac's are also not for everyone but they seem to be marketed that way which I just find a bit annoying :)

Ian McC
31st January 2007, 19:17
A fictional character.

Thanks Mark :)

Caroline
31st January 2007, 19:57
Now this is going to surprise you but I dislike the latest Mac advert campaign :mark:

I thought you were going to mention the Orange ad with the wind up white blobs on legs (great description, huh? If you've seen it you'll get what I mean). I know how much you also enjoy the music that accompanies it :p :

RaikkonenRules
31st January 2007, 21:42
Bah Mac is crap. :mad: