PDA

View Full Version : Local attractions you've never been to

Mark
19th August 2008, 08:48
I've never walked up to the Angel of the North, despite passing it in the car at least half a dozen times a week and living only about a mile away.

My Dad said when he lived in South Shields he never went on the beach, despite it being 5 minutes walk away.

What local attractions have you never been to?!

GridGirl
19th August 2008, 08:54
Even I've been to the Angel of the North. :p

I'd always wanted to go to West Midlands Safari park but was never allowed as kid and we always had to go to Dudley Zoo instead. I finally managed to go about a year ago though. :) I think I've been to most other local attractions.

gadjo_dilo
19th August 2008, 09:49
I've never visited the infamous Palace of Parliament despite the fact it's across the street and I can see it through the window.

Dave B
19th August 2008, 10:14
Even I've been to the Angel, and I live in Kent!

http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v311/193/122/627167268/n627167268_1256573_6880.jpg

The two local attractions which I'm avoiding like the plauge are Dickens World (http://www.dickensworld.co.uk/) and the Museum of Kent Life (http://www.museum-kentlife.co.uk/CMS/webpages_public.asp?strID=Guest&strPageID=123).

Susy keeps threatening to drag me to Beamish (http://www.beamish.org.uk/)or James Herriot World (http://www.worldofjamesherriot.org/) every time we go up north. :s

(edit: I should check my Facebook comments more often ;) :p )

Mark
19th August 2008, 11:51
Susy keeps threatening to drag me to Beamish (http://www.beamish.org.uk/)or James Herriot World (http://www.worldofjamesherriot.org/) every time we go up north. :s

Beamish is one where I have been, but not very often. Last time was about 3 years ago I think. And the time before was about 10 years before that. Despite it being about 10 minutes drive from Karens house.

It's definitely worth a visit if you haven't been before and you are in the area.

I can't imagine James Herriot World to be too exciting :p

SOD
19th August 2008, 12:10
Wehn I lived in Dun laoghaire, The james Joyce Museum, The Guinness Brewery (I believe they dont show any of the atcual brewing process) . hundreds of others

GridGirl
19th August 2008, 13:11
I went to Beamish about three years ago. It's worth a visit if only for the sweet shop. I think there might also have been a fish and chip shop where the chips are done in beef dripping but I could just be confusing Beamish with the Black Country Living Museum.

I've thought of an local attraction I haven't been to, it's called The Public and quite frankly I doubt it will get any visitors whatsoever. At a cost of over £52m it's a complete and utter waste of money. It's become a client at work, but luckily not one of mine so hopefully I won't ever have to visit it. http://www.thepublic.com/

inimitablestoo
19th August 2008, 13:45
I'll mention Cadbury World now, because we are planning to go later this week - didn't book a proper holiday in time, so we're visiting local attractions instead.

GridGirl
19th August 2008, 13:55
Many kids aspire to great things, to be doctors, firement, astronauts..... Me, I aspired to work at Cadbury World becuase every room you went in they gave you a chocolate bar. I thought the same principle would appy if I worked there. Sadly, when I realised that wasn't the case I had to set out about getting a proper job. :D

V12
19th August 2008, 14:04
When I lived in Carlisle, Cumbria (i.e. the first 18 or so years of my life!) I always avoided the Lake District and such. Not that it was literally "down the road" or anything, but people are always shocked when I tell them that. To be honest the idea of all the lakes and trees and grass and stuff just bored the hell out of me!

Rani
19th August 2008, 23:36
I've never actully bathed in the Dead Sea. I spent many nights at its beaches (in school and youth movement trips and even in a jordanian hotel when visiting the rally) but never actually got in the water. Don't know why, just never have.

rah
20th August 2008, 00:29
Never swam at Bondi beach. Just looks like a crowded dirty beach to me.

Rollo
20th August 2008, 00:32
Despite living in Sydney for a while now, I've not once been up Centrepoint Tower. On the basis that whilst looking down from high places might be fun, paying $32 for the privilege when I could spend that money buying six pints and then spending the rest of the evening looking up from the floor, is distinctly funner.

rah
20th August 2008, 06:53
Despite living in Sydney for a while now, I've not once been up Centrepoint Tower. On the basis that whilst looking down from high places might be fun, paying $32 for the privilege when I could spend that money buying six pints and then spending the rest of the evening looking up from the floor, is distinctly funner.

Centrepoint has a nice view but I know what you are saying. Just not sure if you have been in aus long enough if only 6 pints gets you on the floor.

MrJan
20th August 2008, 10:51
Attractions????? Not near me :D I lived in Falmouth for 3 years and didn't get to the Maritime Museum, ooh and I've never been into the Underground Passages in Exeter which is sometimes described as an 'attraction' (not sure why)

Azumanga Davo
20th August 2008, 13:29
Haha, local attractions, you gotta be kidding... :D

Rollo
20th August 2008, 14:25
Centrepoint has a nice view but I know what you are saying. Just not sure if you have been in aus long enough if only 6 pints gets you on the floor.

A) I'm only little
and
B) Nearly 3 and a half litres of beer aught to be enough to do strange things to most people

Drew
20th August 2008, 18:03
We went to Smeaton's tower (a lighthouse) when I was at school, but I was too afraid to go all the way to the top. I've never been to the Plymouth Gin distillery or the Citadel, but otherwise I think i've seen most of it :)

Hazell B
20th August 2008, 18:42
Beamish is good Dave, you should go one sunny day (if we ever get one ooop norf). There's some hedge there that we laid in a competition, and dry stone walls I helped with. Not the centre's best bits those, I'd avoid them if I were you :p :

York's gotten one of those big wheels, which I've never even seen let alone visited. Probably walked straight past it, just never noticed :mark:

There's an award winning museum in Goole where I live, but I've not been there. They stopped horses using the tow path it's on, so they ain't getting my patronage as a result. I mean, why were tow paths invented if not for horses to tow the barges along from? :rolleyes:

J4MIE
20th August 2008, 19:57
I've never seriously considered visiting the Secret Bunker before now :up: But I've seriously cursed the junction beforehand on my way to several rallies which I've missed due to it looking like the entrance to a farm, apart from the banner which says "Secret bunker now open!" :dozey:

GridGirl
20th August 2008, 21:04
I've been on the York wheel. In fact we were on it so long we were getting seriously bored. Whoever was operating it must have gone on a break or was just plain having a laugh. 10 minutes and a few rotations would of been nice, about 40 minutes and going round God knows how many times we'd not only run out of things to look at but were also starting to feeling slightly ill. :s The railway museum was far more interesting than the wheel.

jso1985
21st August 2008, 02:41
There's some famous dinosaur tracks(and a whole theme park around it) just some 2kms from my house.
according to the local tourism office, 90% of the around 25000 tourists we get every year go to see the dino tracks.
21 of my 22 years living here and I have never been there!

schmenke
21st August 2008, 14:37

I remember thinking similarly when the wife and visited Sydney a few years back; we decided the (then) ~$60 for two tickets would be better spent in one of the many nice restaurants.

schmenke
21st August 2008, 14:40
Haha, local attractions, you gotta be kidding... :D

Yeah, ditto :mark:

Well, there's the annual Calgary Stampede that I've never attended, but it's not really my cup of tea...

Iain
24th August 2008, 20:55
Beamish is good Dave, you should go one sunny day (if we ever get one ooop norf). There's some hedge there that we laid in a competition, and dry stone walls I helped with. Not the centre's best bits those, I'd avoid them if I were you :p :

I've heard it's a good place to visit as well. :)

I'd never been to Loch Lomond until 3 years ago, unlike most of the rest of Scotland it seems. Better going in the winter though, too many tourists hogging the roads in summer. :p :

gm99
24th August 2008, 23:51
I have never been to Hundertwasser House http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundertwasserhaus in Vienna, in spite of having explained the way to it to tourists (especially Spanish-speaking ones for some reason) about a hundred times. I did pass by it with the tram, though ;)

dc10
29th August 2008, 18:30
No immediate local attractions round here. Blackpool is 30mins away - been there, safari park - been there, oh I never got to visit Belle Vue Zoo, Manchester before they closed it down.

SOD
1st September 2008, 19:27
The Ba'hai Shrine

Mark
2nd September 2008, 08:34
I've heard it's a good place to visit as well. :)

I'd never been to Loch Lomond until 3 years ago, unlike most of the rest of Scotland it seems. Better going in the winter though, too many tourists hogging the roads in summer. :p :

I'm thinking about staying in the Loch Lomond area. I've only ever just driven through on the A82 before, never stopped.