PDA

View Full Version : Tactics in NZ

cosmicpanda
18th August 2008, 10:57
I think that we will see tactics in Rally NZ.

The second day has five long stages run only once, while the third day has a 40km-ish loop of the Whaanga Coast and another stage run twice, plus a superspecial.

How will the tactics play out? Nobody will want to be first on the road on Day 2 because they will lose a lot of time on the 130 odd km of unswept stages. Then we might see tactics at the end of Day 2, or perhaps Day 3 won't be thought of as being so bad, as it is only about 80 km long and three of the stages are repeats.

This will be a tactical Rally NZ, and Loeb is at a disadvantage by being first on the road on Day 1. (He is, isn't he?)

Thoughts?

bluuford
18th August 2008, 12:08
Wrong guess I think.. there will be no tactics in NZ. During that time of the year it is so rainy that it is much better to start in front than to start further back.

sollitt
18th August 2008, 12:19
You are not wrong. It has been so rainy in NZ lately the best tactic is to bring Aqualung!

N
18th August 2008, 12:33
by the time the rally starts all the clouds will empty out and it won't rain anymore...
You can't tell what strategy they will go for, they'll make the strategy on the day when they see the weather.

cosmicpanda
18th August 2008, 12:34
I didn't consider the possibility of rain.

Having said that, I think that Rally NZ was run in August last year and it didn't rain too much.

bluuford
18th August 2008, 13:03
I didn't consider the possibility of rain.

Having said that, I think that Rally NZ was run in August last year and it didn't rain too much.

Last year it was raining every day and even the helicopter could not fly for some time because of too heavy rain and rain clouds :-) That is why the cap between the first runners was very big. First starters run away on the first day:-) There was maybe only half day of nice weather during the whole weekend when there was even some dust. You can watch it from video: frist day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFDeYd5I2A
and whole rally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3uvRejRCWQ
On that time of a year there is still a winter and rainy :-)

jparker
18th August 2008, 18:27
I think tactics aiming at Loeb will not work in NZ, doesn't mattare rain or not.

Maui J.
18th August 2008, 23:34
Being first on the road should be the place to be. This is the wettest winter I can remember. It feels like it hasn't stopped raining for two months.

The Waikato River which runs through Hamilton (Rally Host City) is incredibly high. In some parts above the road level and only being kept at bay by the stop-banks. Some farms in the area look like lakes.

I can't imagine a dry rally, but you never know what will happen in the next 10 days.

Bring it on!

cosmicpanda
19th August 2008, 00:02
Last year it was raining every day and even the helicopter could not fly for some time because of too heavy rain and rain clouds :-) That is why the cap between the first runners was very big. First starters run away on the first day:-) There was maybe only half day of nice weather during the whole weekend when there was even some dust. You can watch it from video: frist day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFDeYd5I2A
and whole rally: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3uvRejRCWQ
On that time of a year there is still a winter and rainy :-)

It's a shame, really. I wore my raincoat to SS8 in the morning on Saturday and SS11 in the afternoon and it was lovely and dry both times, and I only got mildly wet on Sunday morning. It really wasn't that wet. I remember getting absolutely drenched in 2006, though.

If the level of the Waikato River rises any higher, will it start to threaten the service park and the superspecial stage? We might have a natural river crossing on the superspecial! :)

A.F.F.
19th August 2008, 07:08
I WANT TO GO TO NZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigcry:

tmx
19th August 2008, 09:18
Quoting someone else here of what they said about Germany, Ford could play "the loosing tactic". I would like to see Hirvonen challenging Loeb in New Zealand in speed. Last year was as crazy between Loeb and Gronholm, don't know if Hirvonen could keep up with it. I don't think the sweeping tactic will help very much here.

grugsticles
19th August 2008, 10:37
If these mind game like tactics are employed by drivers, and arnt just a media hype attempt, then at least the season might be interesting to watch.
I just hope that its not like last year when the championship was decided by a mistake. Id rather see the cars finish and whoever is quicket gets the title.

Buzz Lightyear
19th August 2008, 11:21
nothing less than 1-2 from Ford is enough.

Addicted
20th August 2008, 08:51
Loeb doesn`t need any tactics. He will drive circles around these Ford-boys.