PDA

View Full Version : 80s V 90s - Which was best?

Hazell B
29th January 2007, 17:24
We've just had a 1980s versus 1990s weekend, watching films, listening to music and chatting about all the technology etc.

Just when Trainspotting and Madchester clinched it for the 90s, I sat and watched The Lost Boys and am all confused again!

Were the Frog brothers, John Hughes films and Ferris Bueller enough to make the 1980s better than the next decade?

Enquiring minds need to know :p :

jim mcglinchey
29th January 2007, 17:46
Jims rule of nostalgia skipping a decade.

The pop culture of the decade that has just passed is generally regarded as crap, while that of the decade before is suddenly cool again!

schmenke
29th January 2007, 17:53
The '80s gave us U2 :up:

The '90s gave us... The Spice Girls :mark:

Rollo
29th January 2007, 19:35

Ergo the 90s wins.

I hate U2. So overrated. Bono pisses me off with all his self-serving peace-loving BS. Whenever I hear a U2 song, I think it's a woman singing, until I recognize it and I'm like oh wait... that's Bono. Then I change the station.
"uno, dos, tres, catorce"? WTF? 1, 2, 3, 14? What an eejit.
It's not at all ironic that a country famous for blowing itself up should produce a band named after a spyplane who's pilots were issued with suicide needles.

LotusElise
29th January 2007, 19:53
The 90s do it for me, just because I was a teenager then and I remember them more. I do remember bits of the 80s, but I was only a kid.

I still think the 90s were more fun than our current decade, as things have got awfully serious since then in a lot of ways.

Ian McC
29th January 2007, 20:26
80's, I'm living in the 80's..............As someone once sang :D

80's were better for music, Britpop sucked, and of course I was much younger then :D

airshifter
29th January 2007, 20:44
The 90s do it for me, just because I was a teenager then and I remember them more. I do remember bits of the 80s, but I was only a kid.

I still think the 90s were more fun than our current decade, as things have got awfully serious since then in a lot of ways.

I was going to vote for the 80s for the same reason.

I don't think things have become more serious, I just think as we age we become more serious.

In the 80s I worried about going to the ATM to ensure I had enough money to drink that night. My only other real worry was making it to work after being out drinking.

Now I worry about funding college for my young girl, making sure the mortgage is paid, health insurance, car insurance, homework, my work, investments, world matters, and sometimes slowing down to eat.

Knock-on
29th January 2007, 21:23
We've just had a 1980s versus 1990s weekend, watching films, listening to music and chatting about all the technology etc.

Just when Trainspotting and Madchester clinched it for the 90s, I sat and watched The Lost Boys and am all confused again!

Were the Frog brothers, John Hughes films and Ferris Bueller enough to make the 1980s better than the next decade?

Enquiring minds need to know :p :

I don't know the first two but Ferris clinches it on his own.

Rambo, DD, Simple minds and The Karate Kid. Can it get better?

Of course not!

Let the nineties disappear in a Boyzone haze. Christ, even Robbie realised his mistake.

80's rule.

vanillagirl85
29th January 2007, 21:34
Can I vote for a decade based solely on the fact that I was born in it? :D

The 80s spawned Reagan and Bush Sr., while Clinton owned the 90s. I might have to go with the latter...

Knock-on
29th January 2007, 21:52
Can I vote for a decade based solely on the fact that I was born in it? :D

The 80s spawned Reagan and Bush Sr., while Clinton owned the 90s. I might have to go with the latter...

I believ that all 3 were spawned earlier but if were talking about office, then we had Thatcher. Uhhhh

donKey jote
29th January 2007, 22:00
80's for the movida madrileņa :D
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_166.gif

Dazz9908
29th January 2007, 23:08
80's Hands down for me.
I was in my youth, I traveled, I basically had fun and did care much about anything!
Music was way better than what came after.
But there was big hair, loud cloths, loud people. still was fun times!

Sleeper
30th January 2007, 00:54
When it comes to films both decades had some gems, but with music its easily the 90's. 80's Synth pop sucked big time and we only had a short return of King Crimson and the birth of Marillion, IQ, Quensryche and Pendragon.

Music of the 90's was so much better with Dream Theater, Symphony X, Spock's Bear, The Flower Kings, Vanden Plas, Pain Of Salvation, Opeth, White Willow, Anglagard, Anekdoten etc.

Storm
30th January 2007, 05:50
Depends what kind of music you are into as well isn't it Sleeper?
For me the 80s rule....heavy metal at its peak!
Iron Maiden, Metallica (we all know what happened to them in the 90s :dozey :) , Megadeth, Judas Priest. Testament etc
In the 90s it was grunge and alternative stuff and all my favourite bands fell to the wayside...of course Maiden are back with a bang :up:

As for the movies perhaps the 90s were better...and in terms of TV , 90s definitely as we got cable TV in '91 + F1 coverage in '92 :)

oily oaf
30th January 2007, 06:23
I was stabbed in the bottom during the 1980s. However throughout the entire decade that followed my pert young orbs remained completely unmolested and remained entirely devoid of long sharp weapons (insert completely inappropriate sexual innuendo here..........)
So it's a bit of a no brainer for me :)

(lights pipe and turns on Shipping Forecast in vain bid to dispel painful memories)

Chili con carne tonight. :)
Well I've got a 1lb of mince in the freezer so it should do me for 2 days if I don't get greedy :(

LeonBrooke
30th January 2007, 06:34
The '80s provided some of the best music ever, such as Dire Straits, Steely Dan and Spandau Ballet.

What good music did the '90s give us???

pino
30th January 2007, 06:43
80s anytime :up:

millencolin
30th January 2007, 06:56
excuse me... the nineties wins

Coolio's GANGSTERS PARADISE

Game Set Match

harsha
30th January 2007, 06:58
When it comes to films both decades had some gems, but with music its easily the 90's. 80's Synth pop sucked big time and we only had a short return of King Crimson and the birth of Marillion, IQ, Quensryche and Pendragon.

Music of the 90's was so much better with Dream Theater, Symphony X, Spock's Bear, The Flower Kings, Vanden Plas, Pain Of Salvation, Opeth, White Willow, Anglagard, Anekdoten etc.

yes,but the 90's are still responsible for the nu metal genre,boy bands....whereas the 80's with Maiden :up: Metallica, Helloween Judas Priest etc.....now those were the bands which influenced the bands that we listen to in the 90's

LeonBrooke
30th January 2007, 06:59
Yeah, GANGSTER'S PARADISE was a good song... but it's not that good, not equal to Dire Straits, Steely Dan and Spandau Ballet.

CarlMetro
30th January 2007, 09:09
I would say that for me as a DJ both the 80's and the 90's have their own merits. I can do and have done, a whole four hour show of nothing but 80's music whereas I would struggle to do more than an hour and half of 90's mainstream pop. However the 90's was when the dance scene was at it's peak and I have done five hour sets on 90's dance without thinking too hard.

From a personal view, I was YFS in the 80's and my only worries were where to get drunk on a Friday/Saturday, petrol for the car and a tiny little rent for my flat.

janneppi
30th January 2007, 09:10
yes,but the 90's are still responsible for the nu metal genre,boy bands....whereas the 80's with Maiden :up: Metallica, Helloween Judas Priest etc.....now those were the bands which influenced the bands that we listen to in the 90'sAnd the 80's bands were inluenced by the bands in the seventies and sixties.
BTW
Judast Priest began 1968, Iron Maiden 1975. ;)

80's had Def Leppard's Hysteria , Top Gun, MacGyver.
90's had Metallicas Metallica, Jackie Brown, Stargåte.
It's a tough call, but i think the swiss army knife puts 80's slightly ahead. :)

Storm
30th January 2007, 10:00
Judast Priest began 1968, Iron Maiden 1975. ;)

Yes we know that butttttt their best work came in the 80s :D

The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Screaming for Vengeance, Painkiller ('was 90 I think so on the cusp) :)

Knock-on
30th January 2007, 10:13
Poll please!!!!

millencolin
30th January 2007, 11:53
nineties... as i stated earlier gangsters paradise, the anthem of the youth in the 90's no one between the ages of 16-25 cannot say that gangsters paradise was their anthem of youth ... but to add to the list

- Waynes World
- Austin Powers
- Vanilla Ice
- the movie SpaceJam
- Cool Runnings
- Nirvana
- the insane popularity of Sprite and reebok
- The good part of the Simpsons (everyone knows the first 2 seasons are about as funny as watching an air conditioner)
- South Park, Family Guy started
- MC Hammer

now tell me how the eighties are better... i mean, come on SHOULDER PADS AND MULLETS!!! cant get much worse than that

Storm
30th January 2007, 13:04
Well the Ferrari F40 came out in the 80s!

pino
30th January 2007, 13:14
poll added :D

Knock-on
30th January 2007, 13:30
Yeah. The eighties are slatering the 90's by 2 votes to 0.

Come on, the 90's gave us the Spice Girls and BoyZone for crying out load while the 80's was U2 and Simple Minds.

OK, our fashion sense was not up to much but at least we had some :p :

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6300183785.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Vs

http://www.cnr.edu/home/sas/commarts/storytelling/spring04/Marissa/p4.html

Brown, Jon Brow
30th January 2007, 14:26
The 80's gave us Shellsuits. :bigcry:

The 90's gave us song2 :D (and Radiohead :) )

Kaiser
30th January 2007, 14:54
80s was a culture whereas the 90s (and today) are kind of a hodge podge of cultures.

The music from the 80s was so much better with the advent of New Wave in the early 80s. Grunge was nothing but marketing.

Rudy Tamasz
30th January 2007, 15:03
80s were the time when real metal ruled the charts and synth pop was real sensual. Then came Nirvana and effed it up with their suicidal stuff.

80s hands down.

Hazell B
30th January 2007, 18:55
The 90's gave us song2 and Radiohead

I'd used those very two things towards choosing the 90s, then hearing the theme music to The Breakfast Club and remembering Peter Gabriel's So tour switched me back again :mark:

Making me opt for either 80s Go West and We Close Our Eyes and the 90s Chili Peppers banging out Take a Look Around is still doing my head in! So not voted yet :p :

Thanks for the poll :up:

jso1985
30th January 2007, 19:22

depends how you see it! the 80's gave us Poison,Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister, Motley Cruel, Cindy Lauper, Michael Jackson and lots of crap!
while the 90's gave us Oasis, Soundgarden, Blur, Korn, the decent Metallica, Incubu,etc.
can't remember anything from the 80's so my vote goes to the 90's, but the 2000's rules :D

Ian McC
30th January 2007, 19:41
The '80s provided some of the best music ever, such as Dire Straits, Steely Dan and Spandau Ballet.

You're joking, right?

Rollo
30th January 2007, 19:44
In the 80s we had Andy Peebles, Emporer Rosko, Steve Wright and that god-awful Adrian John on the radio.

The 90s changed things with Jo Whiley, Chris Moyles, Lamacq and more importantly Steve Wright and the Togmeister himself Sir Terry Wogan back on Radio 2.

Hazell B
30th January 2007, 19:53
... the 80's gave us Poison, Twisted Sister ....

Add Kiss, Anvil and Girl's School plus guests and ....

...that was one hell of a tour - I threw up in the hotel behind Leeds City Hall :eek:

Ah, those were the days :p :

LotusElise
30th January 2007, 20:38
One area where I'll concede victory to the 80s is kids' TV. All hail the mighty Bagpuss!
(Plus Rod Hull and Emu, Round The Bend, Bananaman, Sooty and Sweep, Battle of the Planets, Inspector Gadget, Why Don't You? - the list is endless.)

fandango
30th January 2007, 21:18
Wasn't Bagpuss from the seventies? Actually, it's okay, don't answer that one.

For me it's the nineties hands down. Real guitar music came back, along with all the interesting new electronic stuff. The Pixies on one hand, and Orbital on the other, just to choose two different examples. Shoegazers! My Bloody Valentine.

The eighties was all fecky sounding reverby stuff. Swing out Sister, Bananarama, terrible. Even Neil Young made that pinkish album.

As for clothes, skinny ties, cheap puked-on suits and side laced shoes. Not to mention the mullett. And of course, the nineties gave us the Internet. That wins it for me.

akv89
30th January 2007, 22:03
I've had barely any experiece living in the 80's so I'm going to go for the last decade of the last millenium. After all, lots of world changing things happenned in the nineties. Soviet collapse, internet boom (we wouldnt be here if it wasnt for that), and of course, Eric Cartman.

Sleeper
30th January 2007, 23:15
I guess when it comes to music it all depends on what you like. I'm sure you've all guessed by now that I'm a prog fan and there was very little in the 80's of any interest, whereas we had an explosion of new, talented bands turn up on the scene, as mentioned in my previous post.

Ian McC
30th January 2007, 23:25
The 80's had some great indie stuff, The Coocteau Twins, The Cure, The Dance Society, Killing Joke, Play Dead and the Sisters Of Mercy to name a few.

Hell, it should win for Blue Monday alone! :D

wedge
31st January 2007, 01:00
Politically, I would rather re-live the 90s. The 80s was boom and bust and felt more like doom and gloom.

Both decades had a problem with manufactured pop acts but the 80s seems more interesting. Loadsa stuff were influenced by Krafwerk and disco which gave us the acid house explosion and illegal raves, not to mention the growing force of hip hop. It all came together in the 90s when so many acts created dance music sub-genres by mixing together house and hip hop beats

Dazz9908
31st January 2007, 03:35
90's saw Rap become mainstream and popular.
Personally I think rap is crap. Music was way better as a whole compaired to the 90's.

harsha
31st January 2007, 04:15
I guess when it comes to music it all depends on what you like. I'm sure you've all guessed by now that I'm a prog fan and there was very little in the 80's of any interest, whereas we had an explosion of new, talented bands turn up on the scene, as mentioned in my previous post.

They were a lot of Progressive bands in the 80's ,yeah Pain of Salvation is one of the best new bands around.....but still you can't say there were little progressive bands there in the 80's....bands like Queensryche and Dream Theater all started in the mid 80's....i'm only talking about progressive metal,if you count all progressive bands.........there are a lot more bands which started in the 60's to the 70's but continued well into the 80's....

LeonBrooke
31st January 2007, 06:09
You're joking, right?

No. They're three of my favourite bands. However, there is good music from the '90s and '00s.

stevie_gerrard
31st January 2007, 12:33
90's for me, i just think the music was a lot better in the 90's, and before people say im too young to remember the 80's, i have heard quite a lot of music from 80's and watched a lot of programmes from the 80's, i just think the 90's was a lot better. :)

Sleeper
31st January 2007, 14:21
They were a lot of Progressive bands in the 80's ,yeah Pain of Salvation is one of the best new bands around.....but still you can't say there were little progressive bands there in the 80's....bands like Queensryche and Dream Theater all started in the mid 80's....i'm only talking about progressive metal,if you count all progressive bands.........there are a lot more bands which started in the 60's to the 70's but continued well into the 80's....
There was a good number of prog bands started, or came to prominance, in the 80's but nowhere near the number as the decade before an after. The 90's saw prog metal take off and many new bands started up that played in the classic style as well as many that played a very different, but still progressive, style. The 80's didnt really have that.

harsha
31st January 2007, 14:24
a very valid point,but you are only comparing one sub genre of music....compare music as such though

Sleeper
31st January 2007, 23:11
a very valid point,but you are only comparing one sub genre of music....compare music as such though
True, but since progressive music is the majority of what I listen to then I feel its a valid comparison for me.